Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 2007
  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What bash you running on those SLX cranks? I kinda like it.
    It came off of a Truvativ Stylo 1.1 crankset that I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #402
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441
    Update:
    I am happier with this bike every time I ride it.
    I changed out my cranks twice now, and very pleased with the newest set up. The White Industries crank required a 122mm BB, which was really flexy- to the point of hitting the chainstay when I'd crank hard enough.
    Next, I tried the Ritchey WCS cranks off of my Pugsley. Stiffer, but I had to space the ISIS BB over a bit to the drive side to clear the chainstay under hard efforts (again.)
    Both of those were 170mm. I've been dialing in my wife's position on her bike, and noticed her XTs are 175mm, which are too long for her leg length, so I traded her.
    Yesterday, I rode Government Canyon, a rocky, steep local trail. The increased stiffness was noticeable, and with the sustained, all-out effort climbs, I think I'm liking the gained leverage of the additional whopping 5mm of crank length.
    I didn't notice an increase in pedal strikes, and had no problem staying on top of the cranks.
    This was probably the most technically difficult climbing and descending I've done on the N9 to date. Not the steepest, and it IS Texas so the climbs and descents aren't super long, but it's tough on the single speed. I've punctured my rear tire (sliced the sidewall twice, punched through the tread once,) on the last three rides there...on the climbs!
    I was thinking, as I was patching my AKA, that this bike felt like it was made for this kind of riding. Then I remembered thinking the same thing the first time I took it on our extended-rockgarden chunkfest, and on the fast, swoopy waterbar laden Boise trails, and the alpine Bogus trails...
    Here's some pics from yesterday.




    Los
    Last edited by sslos; 10-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  3. #403
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    I am on my 2nd set of cranks as well. The XTR 960's rubbed the stays when I was really pushing it up a hill. That was with two spacers on the drive side. it would clear when not flexing though. I went back to the XT crank I had on it originally and everything is back to normal with only one spacer. Definitely something to watch out for if you are building this and don't have a couple cranksets in the garage. I'm considering getting a Shimano Hone for this bike. Steel pedal inserts and spindle seem like exactly what this bike deserves. Plus my wife needs her XT back

  4. #404
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX-Rob View Post
    The XTR 960's rubbed the stays when I was really pushing it up a hill. That was with two spacers on the drive side. it would clear when not flexing though. I went back to the XT crank I had on it originally and everything is back to normal with only one spacer.
    Good to know I'm not the only one with cranks rubbing the stays. I have the same problem you mention with my XTR 970's...

    I have my cranks mounted with one spacer on the drive side (like always) and the distance between the crank arms and the stays are are not the same on each side. I have like 3,5 mm on the drive side and 6 mm on the non-drive side.

    I've ordered some 0,7 mm spacers so I can get the cranks centered but from your experience the crank arm still hit the stays with 5 mm spacers installed...

    I'm not a heavy rider, only around 165 lbs so the frame and cranks should be plenty stiff for my weight....a little annoying.

    Other than that it's a great frame.

  5. #405
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Wait, your CRANKS hit the stays??? I've got XT's (M760) with one spacer on the drive side and never had issues. Heel strike every once in a while.

  6. #406
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Wait, your CRANKS hit the stays??? I've got XT's (M760) with one spacer on the drive side and never had issues. Heel strike every once in a while.
    Yes CRANKS. No issues with XT with only one spacer. XTR hit with two spacers.

  7. #407
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Was the crank length the same on both of your cranks? Mine's the standard 175's.

  8. #408
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Was the crank length the same on both of your cranks? Mine's the standard 175's.
    The XTR M970 cranks (all XTR cranks, actually,) are lower profile than the XTs, which explains the discrepancy. Although it was challenging for me to finally stop using square taper cranks due to the width of the stays, everything else about this bike makes it so worthwhile!
    I would regularly hit the CS with the inside corner of the WI crank on the driveside while powering through to pull the front wheel up, even with 1cm of clearance. I have about 7mm with the XT, and Monday's ride required lots of wheelies up ledges, cranking hard to get up steep rock gardens, over big exposed roots and logs, you name it. No contact whatsoever.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  9. #409
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Wow, didn't know those WI cranks (and ST bb) flexed that much.

  10. #410
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    You guys are bumming me out on the square taper issue now.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  11. #411
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441
    Yeah, I really thought I'd stay with ST until I couldn't find them any more.
    My experiences lately have sold me on external BBs.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  12. #412
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Does anyone know of a successful N9 build using 180mm cranks?

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cluster_tolerance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Does anyone know of a successful N9 build using 180mm cranks?
    Yup, I is. No problems at all, I have XT cranks with a spacer on the drive side. The fork is at 120mm and I doubt I'll go lower. I might just to see how it is but I am really enjoying the ride. No pedal strikes yet, I ride my X-bike fixt and I have just gotten used to having the pedals in the right place at the right time. Best riding production frame I have ever owned.
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

  14. #414
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Thanks!

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    394
    Got out for a ride this morning. I am supposed to be packing up the house since we are preparing to move on Monday but I just couldn't help myself. The weather was perfect! Didn't get any action shots because I was riding solo but I did turn around to take a piss and then I saw my Nimble perched up on the top of a rock begging to roll it again. I think the Canfield Brothers may have gave these frames some "special" touches. I kept hearing the phrase MUST FIND MORE ROCK TO RIDE bouncing around in my head! Crazy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0222.jpg  

    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0226.jpg  

    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0225.jpg  

    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0229.jpg  

    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0231.jpg  


  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    544
    Sweet pics! I've been riding my N9 exclusively for the last 3 weeks...took my Vassago rigid SS out this morning for the first time. It felt weird! Only did 10 miles on a pretty mellow but fun trail and was constantly thinking about my Nimble! Sorry Jabber, you might sitting out more often.

  17. #417
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    30

    My Black Devil

    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D356CjYNAt9Qmnbke8Uo2A?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0-Gw1qoqTCc/TqDg4cKl1sI/AAAAAAAAAGk/6ZMoZnS5owE/s144/DSCF0001.JPG" height="96" width="144" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">Od <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/108543226678960504994/Nimble9?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Nimble 9</a></td></tr></table>

  18. #418
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,077
    Glad to see everyone is enjoying there Nimble 9's!

    With the fit issues of the XTR cranks, they have a narrower chainline than what we designed too. The N9 needs a 50mm chainline, XTR is 47.5 . Most road cranks are narrower but they don't need tire clearance like MTB. So with a 50-51 chainline (like most all 3 ring mtb cranks) you'll have proper crank clearance and can still fit large volume tires.

    Managing to fit large tires, have short chainstays and the option for a front derailler is a tall order. Something must give so alot of other companys just make it single ring only or skimp on tire clearance to achive the short chainstay. We wanted it all so fitting really tight chainline cranks was not on the list. (Sorry XTR fans )
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

  19. #419
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441

    Meh...

    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    Glad to see everyone is enjoying there Nimble 9's!

    With the fit issues of the XTR cranks, they have a narrower chainline than what we designed too. The N9 needs a 50mm chainline, XTR is 47.5 . Most road cranks are narrower but they don't need tire clearance like MTB. So with a 50-51 chainline (like most all 3 ring mtb cranks) you'll have proper crank clearance and can still fit large volume tires.

    Managing to fit large tires, have short chainstays and the option for a front derailler is a tall order. Something must give so alot of other companys just make it single ring only or skimp on tire clearance to achive the short chainstay. We wanted it all so fitting really tight chainline cranks was not on the list. (Sorry XTR fans )
    Not being able to run XTR cranks is definitely a worthwhile exchange for all the great things about these frames. Still loving the hell outta mine!

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  20. #420
    Addicted to Dirt
    Reputation: ingluis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    674
    Nimble 9 crushed the Pisgah gnar for 5 straight days, but didn't like the flying rocks too much, sadness.


  21. #421
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    I might have to 3M my downtube.

  22. #422
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,811
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Nimble 9 crushed the Pisgah gnar for 5 straight days, but didn't like the flying rocks too much, sadness.
    Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't a $2,000+ custom. Right ?

  23. #423
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,809
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I might have to 3M my downtube.
    I thought GITD was nuke proof too?
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

    CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

  24. #424
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Are people using the cable guides for their der cables or disc brake lines? Running a 1x9 through cable guides right now and will zip tie the disc brake lines

  25. #425
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    I thought GITD was nuke proof too?
    Only in the dark.

    While you're on the net, might as well head over to Canfield and place an order for that über-cool green frame. With all this lurking in this thread, you're bound to buy one anyway.

  26. #426
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Nimble 9 crushed the Pisgah gnar for 5 straight days, but didn't like the flying rocks too much, sadness.
    Dang, yo!
    How big is that dent?

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  27. #427
    Addicted to Dirt
    Reputation: ingluis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Dang, yo!
    How big is that dent?

    Los
    It's about 1 square inch... I sanded the area today, didn't see any obvious cracks! Good ole 4130, I sprayed a little clear coat so I can monitor it.

    Set it up for local riding, 32x17 with a half link, dropouts are slammed!

  28. #428
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    It's about 1 square inch... I sanded the area today, didn't see any obvious cracks! Good ole 4130, I sprayed a little clear coat so I can monitor it.

    Set it up for local riding, 32x17 with a half link, dropouts are slammed!
    Yeah, one of many things I love about steel!
    I had a mondo rock come up and bounce off of my downtube, then break my rear valve stem. No dents, though.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  29. #429
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Myers005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    92
    FWIW, no problems with XTR M960 SS mod cranks (170mm) on my Nimble.

  30. #430
    Addicted to Dirt
    Reputation: ingluis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan G. View Post
    Are people using the cable guides for their der cables or disc brake lines? Running a 1x9 through cable guides right now and will zip tie the disc brake lines
    Just tie all the cables through the guide using a single zip tie.

  31. #431
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13

    anyone running a maxxis ardent 2.4 in the back of a nimble 9 ?

    or know if they fit ok ?

  32. #432
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBSTERJOHNSON View Post
    or know if they fit ok ?
    Don't worry. There is plenty of room.

  33. #433
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,441
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Don't worry. There is plenty of room.
    Yeah, even if you are using P35s.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojojojoaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by esku View Post
    It's one of the nicest frame I ever had.
    .
    Wish I had the money because this is exactly what I want in a 29er. Exactly.

  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers005 View Post
    FWIW, no problems with XTR M960 SS mod cranks (170mm) on my Nimble.
    Looks like 170 is the key to your success.

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WarPigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    794
    Hi, I cant figure out the drawing at the Nimble 9's website, can anyone help me with the standover height for a small Nimble 9, with a 100mm and 120mm fork? thanks.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

  37. #437
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Finally up and running. A quick shakedown ride through the City on sporadic singletrack on the old army base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-uploadfromtaptalk1319755489404.jpg  

    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-uploadfromtaptalk1319755504063.jpg  


  38. #438
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    563
    Awesome thanks for the info. Eventually I will get this frame with WI cranks.

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    563
    Sweet bike AOK. I am freakin drooling over here in San Diego! Argh! The blue complements that Fox fork. Is that a Large frame? I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and heard that a Large will fit me but not sure.

  40. #440
    Canfield Brothers
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs View Post
    Hi, I cant figure out the drawing at the Nimble 9's website, can anyone help me with the standover height for a small Nimble 9, with a 100mm and 120mm fork? thanks.
    A small is about 15".

    16" seat tube, TT is about 1 1/2" lower and the BB is about 1/2" higher on a 120mm fork.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

  41. #441
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    563
    Sweet bike rasse, arghh I want one now! I'm the same height as you and judging by the pics a medium will fit me if I max out my Thomson post. Hopefully not too much. How long is that Moots post?

  42. #442
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    563
    Me likey!

  43. #443
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    So running a 90mm 4x Thomson stem and Sunline OS riser bar and thinking about shortening the stem considerably down to trying a 50mm and a flat bar. Anyone running a combo like that?

  44. #444
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos View Post
    Sweet bike AOK. I am freakin drooling over here in San Diego! Argh! The blue complements that Fox fork. Is that a Large frame? I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and heard that a Large will fit me but not sure.
    I'm about your height with 32.5" inseam. Medium fits well. I've got a 410mm Thomson post, but not maxed out. 80mm stem with a 800 mm flat bar and the fit is spot on.

  45. #445
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GearTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    443
    Click the image to go to the full album


    I was going to wait until I had it built up but it's taking awhile to gather the parts so here's the frame. Going to start life as a single speed with a possible switch to 1x9 or 1x10 down the road.

    Planned Build:
    Frame: Medium N9
    Fork: White Brothers Loop29 120mm (on its way to me)
    Stem: Spank Oozy Stem
    Bars: Spank Subrosa 747
    Cranks: FSA Afterburner
    Wheels: Still haven't figured that one out.
    Brakes: Avid X0 possibly XX
    Headset: FSA
    Post: FSA
    Saddle: WTB TBD
    Tires: Schwalbe NN

  46. #446
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GearTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    443
    And one of it glowing in the dark...

  47. #447
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WarPigs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    A small is about 15".

    16" seat tube, TT is about 1 1/2" lower and the BB is about 1/2" higher on a 120mm fork.
    Thanks, I emailed Canfield and Sean Gollub answered my query, he told me its "Stand over in the middle of the bike is about 28" depending on fork and headset."
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

  48. #448
    Addicted to Dirt
    Reputation: ingluis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo_goral View Post
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D356CjYNAt9Qmnbke8Uo2A?feat=embedwebsite"><img src="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0-Gw1qoqTCc/TqDg4cKl1sI/AAAAAAAAAGk/6ZMoZnS5owE/s144/DSCF0001.JPG" height="96" width="144" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">Od <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/108543226678960504994/Nimble9?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Nimble 9</a></td></tr></table>
    Wow, super nice.

  49. #449
    the mountian is within
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    543
    Anyone else like their sliders all the way back? I keep trying forward-but even 5mm feels odd to me. I have a dropper post now,and with that in the tight twistys-it rails-and the front stays down on seated climbs-even with a 120mm fork. I luv me some adjustability!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

  50. #450
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,484
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz View Post
    Anyone else like their sliders all the way back? I keep trying forward-but even 5mm feels odd to me. I have a dropper post now,and with that in the tight twistys-it rails-and the front stays down on seated climbs-even with a 120mm fork. I luv me some adjustability!

    Mine are slammed all the way forward but this bike is one of the best I have owned. It doesn't feel like any other 29er I have had. Bike is very manuverable, eats up small chunk and the geo is spot on with a 100mm fork and 15qr. Just need to play around with seat position, try a non-setback seatpost and try some flat bars.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jones steel diamond frame or Canfield Nimble 9
    By Clink in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
  2. Canfield Nimble 9?
    By Professor in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 254
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 09:17 AM
  3. Canfield One - building thread
    By jetmotor in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM
  4. Canfield Bros Nimble Nine
    By Fly Rider in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
  5. Canfield Nimble 9 29'er, get your pedal on!
    By pajak in forum Canfield
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •