Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Large Blizzy Blue

Good call p_nut , the Large was just the right ETT and still some saddle adj to spare. In fact to me it felt a little shorter than my Medium Jabber. I really just threw some parts from my Jabber and might upgrade later on to shed weight. Putting a Fox 120 on this would be unfair to the trail, my goodness even my ODIS liked it though a longer A-C would be spot on. Hoping others would post their SS weights. I'll post a review in a month or two.

Build
    Vassago ODIS
    Shimano SLX 175 cranks
    Salsa SS 32t chainring
    Thomson 410
    Thomson X4 90mm
    RF bars
    Specialized BG saddle
    Spinergy Xyclone
    Avid Elixir CR
    Chris King hs
    Salsa collar
    ODI grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can2.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can1.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

thinking.......

just HOW different are these n9s'. thinking of going from a xtc giant to one of these with a talas. swapping all parts for now. (3x10) on paper they seem great. like the giant but aluminum is back breaking. other mtb is a old haro mary (the cool ones) and i love it. road bike is steel also, so thinking steel......but is wheel tuck detrimental to the classic steel ride. was gonna fs but ride times are alot fewer than they used to be, want something simple, aready have a ss (haro)

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos View Post
    Good call p_nut , the Large was just the right ETT and still some saddle adj to spare. In fact to me it felt a little shorter than my Medium Jabber. I really just threw some parts from my Jabber and might upgrade later on to shed weight. Putting a Fox 120 on this would be unfair to the trail, my goodness even my ODIS liked it though a longer A-C would be spot on. Hoping others would post their SS weights. I'll post a review in a month or two.

Build
    Vassago ODIS
    Shimano SLX 175 cranks
    Salsa SS 32t chainring
    Thomson 410
    Thomson X4 90mm
    RF bars
    Specialized BG saddle
    Spinergy Xyclone
    Avid Elixir CR
    Chris King hs
    Salsa collar
    ODI grips
    Looks sweet! Mine weighs 25.5lbs with a Salsa Cromoto fork. I've got a Reba on there right now, but I'm on the lookout for an older Niner 490mm steel fork, or I'm hoping Singular cycles will come through with a Swift fork (485mm) for me. Plan B is to source a Soul Cycles fork or a Voodoo Zombie 500mm fork, but they're both over 3lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just picked one up from the classifieds. Pictures to follow...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So after lurking in this thread for too long, drooling over pictures and MUCH internal debate over sizing I finally picked up a Nimble. At first I thought the top tube would be too short on the large but I think it is going to work out just fine.The cranks are temporary until I get something better that doesn't hit the chainstays , and I have a Front chainguide on the way. Gearing is 1x10 with a 32 up front and an 11-36 cassette. fork is set at 100mm right now. may try it out at 120mm...? Chainstays are set closer to the rear than front right under 17 inches. Last frame I had the chainstay was 17.7 inches so it is quite a bit shorter already and I still have lots of room to make them shorter if I want.On my first shakedown ride around the block I almost looped out when I went to pop the front wheel off a curb! It is VERY easy to lift the front tire.I Can't wait to get it out in the dirt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-cimg0813.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-cimg0814.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-cimg0815.jpg  

Last edited by wasfast; 11-25-2011 at 09:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Who is running 120mm fork on this bike, and how do you like it?

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
    I have a TALAS on mine, so I can easily switch between 95mm and 120. Both work great, but for me the 120mm setting feels better. It isn't so much the extra travel (I ride non-chunk XC trails), but rather the 120mm fork seems to make the geometry work better for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for the input. I have been able to get out for a short ride since my last post. Couple observations: 1. don't use a worn out chainring with a new chain !! The 8/9 spd. chainring and 10 spd. chain probably didn't help either. I kept throwing my chain off the front ring. Thankfully I have an MRP chainguide coming this week,so hopefully that,and a new chainring solve my issue cause it really sucks not to be able to put any real effort into the pedals when climbing .
    2. this bike flat RIPS on the downhill. I was having so much fun coming back down what is our most technical local trail. It almost made it too easy...ALMOST. I don't think I have ridden that section as fast since I had my Jet9 (a fantastic bike) .
    3. This is a VERY comfortable bike. credit the steel frame,Long skinny carbon seatpost and fat rear tire, but it is way smoother than my old EMD9.
    I am very happy with the new frame so far and I can't wait to get some more time on it.

mtbr member
    Nice p_nut, it'll be interesting to see on this thread if anyone can build a sub 22lb SS on this frame. I don't see it happening. No other way around except a carbon fork which I am not comfortable with.

mtbr member
    I have been running a 120 Reba on mine and I love it. It doesn't feel too slack when climbing and the bike is a blast to descend on. I think it would still ride great with a 100mm fork but a 120 makes it rip...

mtbr member
    Chainstays are set closer to the rear than front right under 17 inches. Last frame I had the chainstay was 17.7 inches so it is quite a bit shorter already and I still have lots of room to make them shorter if I want
    What was your previous frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Interesting observation. I'm trying to build up a Fargo as a bikepacking rig, so I've decided to hold off on a longer fork for my N9. Instead, I've been thinking about a 5mm King baseplate to emulate the geometry of a longer fork with my 100mm F29.

Los
    I kind of doubt that a 5mm change would be noticeable,but maybe you are more sensitive to these kind of things... I think I have made up my mind to convert my fork to 120mm. Gotta love the simple adjustability of the Reba forks. wish it was a U-turn though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    What was your previous frame?
    I had a Niner EMD9, prior to this frame.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I have a TALAS on mine, so I can easily switch between 95mm and 120. Both work great, but for me the 120mm setting feels better. It isn't so much the extra travel (I ride non-chunk XC trails), but rather the 120mm fork seems to make the geometry work better for me.
    Interesting observation. I'm trying to build up a Fargo as a bikepacking rig, so I've decided to hold off on a longer fork for my N9. Instead, I've been thinking about a 5mm King baseplate to emulate the geometry of a longer fork with my 100mm F29.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Does anyone have trouble keeping the front wheel down on seated climbs?

mtbr member
    Does anyone have trouble keeping the front wheel down on seated climbs?
    Not a single bit. The fork is @ 120mm. If anything it allows you to micro-manual obstacles in tight switchies much easier than before. The front end is so durned predictable and light, I feel like I can do alot of the steering and whatnot with my core. Saves hella energy. I just wish the sucker had 2 h20 mounts!
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cluster_tolerance View Post
    Not a single bit. The fork is @ 120mm. If anything it allows you to micro-manual obstacles in tight switchies much easier than before. The front end is so durned predictable and light, I feel like I can do alot of the steering and whatnot with my core. Saves hella energy. I just wish the sucker had 2 h20 mounts!
    I can't imagine what it would be like for me. I have longer legs so I need my seat way up. I'm on a mamasita now and the front wheel come up on me with 17.9" stays. Yet I'm still intrigued by the thought of this bike

trail rat
    I can't imagine what it would be like for me. I have longer legs so I need my seat way up. I'm on a mamasita now and the front wheel come up on me with 17.9" stays. Yet I'm still intrigued by the thought of this bike
    I asked that question earlier in this thread; I have long legs, short torso, ride smaller bikes in the fit range for the ETT length. About 6'3", 37 inseam, 38 sleeve. You might want to search back and read all the comments. Some felt short chain stays might not be best for me, others feel that it will work fine. Those who have them state no issues, and like you, I am very intrigued.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What size mamasita are you riding? I was on an XL Niner EMD9 and never had issues with the front end wanting to lift or wander. Don't have enough time on the nimble yet to judge its climbing capabilities,but on my short ride yesterday it didn't feel light in the front end...FWIW- I am a little over 6'2" with a 35" inseam, I have a 100mm Thomson stem on it and a zero setback seatpost which I will switch to a layback moots post when I can afford it. I feel like I could use a little more room in the top tube, but i am used to being pretty stretched out in a typical XC fashion. This bike fits different,but I think its a good different not exactly AM style,but not XC either. its "cross-mountain" or "all-country"
    I am gonna trademark both those terms BTW, so if they are used elsewhere in this forum I will expect royalties.But I digress, If you are much over 6'2" I might hold off for the pending XL frame or look at the Kona Honzo or the Yelli-screamy. I feel like I am at the limit as far as fit goes on the large frame. I wouldn't want it any shorter in The cockpit area and I have about 10" of exposed seatpost so I wouldn't want it any shorter in the seat tube either. Hope this helps with your dilemna. I will post more after I get some more time on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    I asked that question earlier in this thread; I have long legs, short torso, ride smaller bikes in the fit range for the ETT length. About 6'3", 37 inseam, 38 sleeve. You might want to search back and read all the comments. Some felt short chain stays might not be best for me, others feel that it will work fine. Those who have them state no issues, and like you, I am very intrigued.
    Your discussion is actually what has me re-thinking this. I'll have to go re-read but in the end I just need to ride one...

I feel like I am at the limit as far as fit goes on the large frame. I wouldn't want it any shorter in The cockpit area and I have about 10" of exposed seatpost so I wouldn't want it any shorter in the seat tube either. Hope this helps with your dilemna. I will post more after I get some more time on it.
    I'm on a L mamasita and I'm pretty comfortable w/ the cockpit as is. I think my stem is 100mm, have about 8.5 inches of seatpost showing. ANyway, I'll be looking forward to your comments as you get more saddle time on the N9

breathing helium
    Anyone know the most narrow crank you could use with the Nimble? I'm thinking about using the new XTR race 985 double crank.

Also, at 6'1" and 36" inseam, I'm concerned that it may want to tip back on steep climbs. My seat height is ~805mm. I'd only run a 100mm fork, so that may not be as much of a worry.

Apr 2007
    Cocheese - check out post #418

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    it seems to me all the concern about the bike tipping over backward while climbing is unwarranted. I have never had a bike that I couldn't keep the front wheel down through "body english" or positioning. Even all my 26 inch bikes, which are FAR more likely to get light in the front end and feel like they want to lift.I think that people are reading too much into the numbers and angles of this bike. Just ride one if at all possible. I would be happy to let anybody take a spin on mine. I am in So. Oregon 97601. PM if interested.

trail rat
    it seems to me all the concern about the bike tipping over backward while climbing is unwarranted. I have never had a bike that I couldn't keep the front wheel down through "body english" or positioning. Even all my 26 inch bikes, which are FAR more likely to get light in the front end and feel like they want to lift.I think that people are reading too much into the numbers and angles of this bike. Just ride one if at all possible. I would be happy to let anybody take a spin on mine. I am in So. Oregon 97601. PM if interested.
    It depends on how your body is proportioned. I have ridden mountain bikes since 1979 (yes, 1-9-7-9!), and I have never had a bike that I do not have troubles on steep climbs with lifting completely or getting so light that I cannot steer precisely through chunk. I am built like a long legged orangutan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I could be wrong...? It has happened before.

mtbr member
    Since I have had a bike that did precisely that (Gary Fisher Cake with 90mm stem) I certainly have some concerns with incredibly short and irresistible chainstays. The front end on my Fisher was light out of the box. When I changed from 105mm stem to 90mm stem, the bike was completely useless on any climbs. Body english and positioning didn't help at all.

30-ton War Machine

The Bishop has landed

and his #1 ho is here as well!

Apr 2007
    That oughtta make slocaus green with envy.

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat View Post

and his #1 ho is here as well!
    Nice fork. What model and travel? Get it directly from push?

30-ton War Machine
    RLT ti, 120mm, bought direct from Push for 591

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    That oughtta make slocaus green with envy.
    very true. I'll have one, but not for a few months. The other green needs help first.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The bishop has landed
    Nice

30-ton War Machine
    Thank GOD, someone got the reference Just wait.... Green is for the money.....

WNC Native
    Another green one!!! Can't wait to see it.

I'm thinking hard about replacing my 11' Unit frame with a large green Nimble 9 or green YS.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

hispanic mechanic
    Thank GOD, someone got the reference Just wait.... Green is for the money.....
    And gold fo' tha honeys!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

30-ton War Machine

parts are stacking up quick! Why do you always end up waiting for the smaller parts? Headset, grips, BB inbound. Wheels will be done tomorrow. Chasin', facin', pressin', crankin' on Friday prolly.

WNC Native
    Can someone measure standover on a Large with a 120mm fork (straight vertical from the center of the bottom bracket)?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

measures for a small

as long as we are asking for numbers......

Can someone please measure an ACTUAL wheelbase (axle to axle) for a small with 120 fork?

Muchos thankos

30-ton War Machine
    Jay, I will do my best to take care of this for you in the next day or, two. I am going to ride it with the Reba at 120 and see how it does. If It handles alright climbing some of the goat-hills around here, I will gladly leave it at that for the downs.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoutside View Post
    as long as we are asking for numbers......

Can someone please measure an ACTUAL wheelbase (axle to axle) for a small with 120 fork?
    Actually I wouldn't mind having the wheelbase measurement on a large with 120mm fork, along with the standover request.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Large with a Reba set at 120mm, sliders set exactly in the middle give chainstay length of 16.7 inches. wheelbase is exactly 44 inches and standover measured directly through the centerline of the bottom bracket is 31 inches. hope that helps.

WNC Native
    wasfast- Thanks, greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    wasfast- Thanks, greatly appreciated!
    Glad to help. Looks like you've made up your mind judging from the Kona for sale. Wish I had the money to take that off your hands,but I just spent my "Christmas money" on the Nimble9.

WNC Native
    Glad to help. Looks like you've made up your mind judging from the Kona for sale.
    Yes I have, it will be replaced by a Canfield.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So I got out on Thursday for a pretty long ride. about 4 1/2 hours. 3 of which were climbing. LOTS of fireroad climbing, no real technical climbs unfortunately. I can't really speak to the whole tipping-over-backward issue since none of my climbing was technical stuff,although the fire road was hella steep in places. the front end never wandered or felt light,but I was pushing a pretty big gear 34x36 so if you run a granny gear your results may vary. On the subject of descending this bike flat hauls A$$ ! I have my sliders set in the middle and may go shorter to see how it feels,but this thing rails the singletrack. It was very confidence inspiring coming down the sweet,tight singletrack on Mt. Ashland and I was having to grab handfuls of brake to keep from running over the guy in front of me who was on a Giant Reign dually. i finally decided to stop and take some pictures to let him get far enough ahead of me so I could hang it out on the descent. As for long rides,it was very comfy compared to my last frame. I was tired,but didn't feel it in my lower back like I used to. Overall I am VERY happy with this frame and can't wait to ride again.

Uncle
    It was very confidence inspiring coming down the sweet,tight singletrack on Mt. Ashland...
    That's a fun trail, and I can't imagine a better bike for that descent. Going to have to check out Mt. A again some day. So, how about those pics you mentioned? Need some stokage.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    So I got out on Thursday for a pretty long ride...
    Sounds awesome! I'm still on the fence about this (the lack of interesting bikes to test ride kind of discourages me) so I was looking at spending my budget on a road build. Posts like these make me want to just order the damn yelli and be done with it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If I can figure out how to get the pictures off my phone I will post them. I plan on going back to Ashland on Monday to ride again. I just can't pass up this awesome weather and the chance to ride my new bike again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    lets see if this works. Mt Ashland, Oregon 12-1-11
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-097.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-099.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-102.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-096.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-098.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    couple more.Some of these were my first ride on the new frame on the hill behind my house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-100.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-087.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-092.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-phone-pictures-091.jpg  

aka baycat
    Mmm Timewarp

30-ton War Machine

And scene.......

Canfield Nimble9 small/electric lime, chainstays at longest to start
    Full 2x10 XT w/175mm cranks and two drive-side washers(have gold King coming)
    Formula The One brakes 180/160
    Reba RLT ti 120mm push'd
    King/Arch/Champ wheelset built with single butts for stiffness
    Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 gotta try and see if they will work in re: cushioning, they just have so much grip I have to give them a shot, there is almost enough room in the chainstays for TWO of them sidexside
    Chromag Ranger 80mm stem
    Chromag Fubar OS
    ODI Ruffian(have gold clamps coming)
    Eriksen sweetpost with a little lay-back becuase I had it laying around and it fit
    Salsa flip-lock gold
    Green jagwire full housings with gold jagwire bits
    Fizik Gobi

No idea how much weighs, it is a steel hard-tail so, I don't really care too much, I would guess around 25lbs with the 500gr Beaver's on it, I would pick up a pound plus if I go to the my 2.4 Ardent instead. I was going to do gold King hubs but, I pussed out and a riding buddy has gold already so, I went with basic black, once the gold King BB and gold lock-on clamps come it will be done 100%.
    Isaac

mtbr member

Maxxis Beaver 29x2.0 ... there is almost enough room in the chainstays for TWO of them sidexside

Isaac
    Sure looks like you could squeeze two of them in there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What are the chances of this frame getting made in an extra large?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There is rumor of an XL frame, but all I have seen is on this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

#'s

Jay, I will do my best to take care of this for you in the next day or, two. I am going to ride it with the Reba at 120 and see how it does. If It handles alright climbing some of the goat-hills around here, I will gladly leave it at that for the downs.

Hey -any chance to get WB measures yet? How are you liking the size? thanks!

30-ton War Machine
    Size seems about right, I have an 80mm stem on it to test. I typically ride a small-size Niner and this feels pretty darn similar, I feel like I am sitting directly over the BB on the Nimble9 and I really like that feeling. I will probably be slamming the stem also. Like all 29ers at 120mm of travel it feels tall in the front so, the stem might be the solution. I will get the WB measured up for you tonight

30-ton War Machine
    Looks like 43.25" with the Reba set at 120mm. That is with the drops in their longest position, center-center on the axles.

mtbr member

I'm demoing a Nimble 9 I might buy. Ripping around the 'hood has been fun, but tomorrow night I'll hit the trails for real and see how she handles.

I moved the sliders to about 50% adjustment for the test ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Apr 2007
    Looks sweet, except that Brooks looks out of place.

mtbr member
    Looks sweet, except that Brooks looks out of place.
    It's comfortable and you can't see it when my fat ass is on the bike...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Apr 2007
    I've got a B17 on my fixed roadie. Just looks a bit off on a MTB is all. But you are right-- they are comfy.

hispanic mechanic
    Granted, I'm biased (3 Brooks saddles,) but I don't think that B17 is too outta place. I prefer the Swifts and Professional (cut to the Swift profile) I have both for fit and aesthetics, but that's not too bad.
    Hope you're ready to buy that bike, vikb!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Granted, I'm biased (3 Brooks saddles,) but I don't think that B17 is too outta place. I prefer the Swifts and Professional (cut to the Swift profile) I have both for fit and aesthetics, but that's not too bad.
    Hope you're ready to buy that bike, vikb!

Los
    Thanks. I read up all the Nimble 9 reviews I could find last night and they are good. Bike fits well and I like my neighbourhood test ride. If the riding on our local trails tonight goes well I'll probably buy the frame - I've got a load of parts I can use to build it up.

If you don't count my Surly Pugsley this will be my first 29er...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    get the checkbook out now. You will want to buy it after getting it in the dirt.

!snotrocket!
    heres mine.
    med frame
    fox RLC 32
    C2 wheelset/tubless ra ra's
    xt 2x10 drivetrain
    elixer 5 brakes
    thomson stem and post
    king headset
    25.4 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can1.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can2.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can3.jpg  

gringo-fied facsimiles

bye bye nimble

I posted on here a bit ago about some fit issues on my nimble. I decided yesterday on my ride that I was not happy and am getting rid of it. I am either building up my khs again or trying that new steel kona. So if you all know of anyone interested in a small nimble black, I am letting mine go CHEAP!!!
    peace
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rottendan View Post
    heres mine.
    med frame
    fox RLC 32
    C2 wheelset/tubless ra ra's
    xt 2x10 drivetrain
    elixer 5 brakes
    thomson stem and post
    king headset
    25.4 lbs
    That looks SWEET. I like the black and white combo. Are the wheels Carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruylopez View Post
    So I got my nimble 9 friday and had it built up that night it went together with no set backs. First thing I thought was I'm glad I went with the large because this is a small frame compared to my SIR 9. Actuall top tube length is only 23" and set tube length is 18.5".
    Based on those measurements I'd say you got a medium frame not a large...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

!snotrocket!
    That looks SWEET. I like the black and white combo. Are the wheels Carbon?
    thanks! the wheelset is canfeilds C2 and they are not carbon. only got about 20 mi on them so the jury is still out. nice smooth action on the freehub though.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Based on those measurements I'd say you got a medium frame not a large...
    I'm assuming he has a Large, but measured actual TT and just the seat tube (not BB to top of ST).

Ariolimax columbianus
    My bro lemme borrow an old Reba. Definitely a little more forgiving. Bike works awesome for bikepacking too.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

hispanic mechanic
    Very nice, but I'm a little disappointed that someone else bikepacked with theirs first!
    Good to know it worked well- looks like you're using a similar setup to what I have planned.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Very nice, but I'm a little disappointed that someone else bikepacked with theirs first!
    Good to know it worked well- looks like you're using a similar setup to what I have planned.

Los
    +1 - when I was demoing the Nimble 9 Scott from Porcelain Rocket Bags was with me. I told him that if I bought the Nimble first I'd need was a frame bag so it would be ready for some winter bikepacking action...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - when I was demoing the Nimble 9 Scott from Porcelain Rocket Bags was with me. I told him that if I bought the Nimble first I'd need was a frame bag so it would be ready for some winter bikepacking action...
    yo vikb, part/long time follower of your blog here, great stuff. the porcelain rocket bags look great, i'd love to have a custom frame bag eventually for the ogre i'm gonna get for my dedicated tourer/commuter. i actually own a custom hunter cross bike too. so what was your decision on the nimble 9?
    Last edited by nativeson; 12-14-2011 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    yo vikb, part/long time follower of your blog here, great stuff. the porcelain rocket bags look great, i'd love to have a custom frame bag eventually for the ogre i'm gonna get for my dedicated tourer/commuter. i actually own a custom cross bike hunter too. so what was your decision on the nimble 9?
    Yo back at ya...

The Surly Ogre was on my short list for a 29er. If my priorities had been bikepacking first and MTBing second I would have gotten one. Given that I'll go trail riding 100 days a year and bikepack for 10-15 days I figured I should get something else. Enjoy the Ogre and send me some photos and a review for the blog if you feel like it...

The Nimble 9 had a lot of potential, but I decided a XC 29er made more sense to me than a AM oriented one since I have a Santa Cruz Nomad 6" FS rig. I also think I needed the next size up in Nimble frames. Used frames/bikes can be a great deal, but I'm careful not to talk myself into saving $$$ if it's not the right bike for me.

Admittedly I'm just figuring out things in the 29er world so I wouldn't be shocked if I found my way back to a Canfield bike at a later date once I understand what I want better.

BTW - Scott's bags rock. I had 3 already and just ordered another 3 for my Pugs. When I get a 29er MTB setup I'll get a custom frame bag for it and use the seat/bar bags from the Pugs. I was joking with him that I'd be paying him enough $$$ to put some kids through university... The bags are well worth it and once you get used to using bags custom made for your bike and your needs - there is no going back...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Baby Bear is in the house
    Is that weight with or without the sliders (dropouts)?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Baby Bear is in the house
    That weight was without sliders. Due to a new hobby I decided to part out the N9. Just don't have enough cash to cover all my toys, too bad because these bikes are REALLY great. These are paid ads, for the nazis that care...
    Thanks for that
    Sorry to hear that you've had to sell it.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Apr 2007
    That is a soooper price on edgerat's frame. Good luck with the sale.

mtbr member

Single Speed AM

Awesome rottendan. Black & white combo works very well. My rigid 32x18 (Vassago ODIS) and hardtail (Fox F120 Talas) setups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-can1.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fox1.jpg  

!snotrocket!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos View Post
    Awesome rottendan. Black & white combo works very well. My rigid 32x18 (Vassago ODIS) and hardtail (Fox F120 Talas) setups.
    thanx mtbnachos, I dig the black n' blue as well! looks clean as a rigid ss

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

fat front update

Finally setup the Larry tubeless. It's awesome, I wish I had done it sooner. I'm running 8-9 psi. It rolls better and the tire flexes easier. Saved some weight too. I did the split bmx tube method. It pumped up easy with a floor pump and sealed up no problem.

I like the Enabler fork, I've been switching back and forth between the fattie and a 29 x 2.4 Racing Ralph on the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imag0176.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imag0175.jpg  

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bobway View Post
    Finally setup the Larry tubeless. It's awesome, I wish I had done it sooner. I'm running 8-9 psi. It rolls better and the tire flexes easier. Saved some weight too. I did the split bmx tube method. It pumped up easy with a floor pump and sealed up no problem.

I like the Enabler fork, I've been switching back and forth between the fattie and a 29 x 2.4 Racing Ralph on the front.
    How can a bike look so simple and elegant, and badass at the same time!?

surly inbred
    What's the word on availability of the next batch? ****. I knew I should have grabbed that slime green medium when I had the chance.

Apr 2007
    Ain't even gonna say "told you so."

surly inbred
    Ain't even gonna say "told you so."
    Cough it up. You're busy with that new fixed gear anyhow.

****ing hipsters.

drc
    annoyingly cautious
    Jan 2004
    How would you compare the fat front to the 29er front? Is it still nimble with the big one?

Quote Originally Posted by bobway View Post

hispanic mechanic
    Oh, man. That's pretty awesome, bobway!
    What rim are you using? I couldn't get the Enabler to hold tubeless on a Large Marge below about 15psi using a split tube.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Cough it up. You're busy with that new fixed gear anyhow.

****ing hipsters.
    To quote Heston, "from my cold, dead hands..."

Nimble's coming with me to Vegas next month for some Bootleg Canyon action.

Canfield said 2 months for the next batch, btw.

surly inbred
    Canfield said 2 months for the next batch, btw.
    Stoked. I scored a ****ing sweet Foxy fork that needs a home.

mtbr member
    That must be some badass hobby for you stop mtn biking! Hmmm must be starting a porn career???

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

tubeless fat front

I'm using a Trialtech SL rim, it's a 47mm single wall rim. It has a deep center channel I filled with gray Home Depot weatherstrip foam, then I put the 20" tube over that.

The fat front rides very different than the same fork with a 29er wheel. The Larry tire is a little less than 29" diameter, and the 2.4 29" tires are a bit more than 29", so the head angle changes some. The fat front tire is much cushier and has more traction, almost like a suspension fork, but it weighs much more and rolls slower. Its a fun bike either way. With the fatty in front I find myself aiming for the roughest lines on purpose, just to let the big tire soak it up like a monster truck. On a normal rigid bike I aim for the smooth lines...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anybody running 1x9 or 1x10 with a bashguard and inner chain keeper? What chain guard/keeper are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A nice riding steel frame.
    Last edited by chestercospinner; 01-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Alright guys and girls, I am debating between getting a Nimble 9 and powder coating my Karate Monkey. I like the Monkey frame a lot but it certainly isn't perfect. The ride quality and short chainstays make it a very fun bike although the rear tire clearance, sliding dropouts, toptube cablestops, and low headtube have me wishing for something else. I picked up the bike used a little more than a year ago. The paint is in pretty sad shape. I can have the cablestops removed and replaced with cable guides under the toptube and have it coated for about $150. My question, is it worth it? The Nimble 9 already comes in the color I want (blue), has shorter chainstays than the Monkey with better tire clearance, a taller front end, cable guides under the top tube, and badazz paragon sliders. The only issues I have heard about with the Nimble are the wider than normal chainstays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1 View Post
    Alright guys and girls, I am debating between getting a Nimble 9 and powder coating my Karate Monkey. I like the Monkey frame a lot but it certainly isn't perfect. The ride quality and short chainstays make it a very fun bike although the rear tire clearance, sliding dropouts, toptube cablestops, and low headtube have me wishing for something else. I picked up the bike used a little more than a year ago. The paint is in pretty sad shape. I can have the cablestops removed and replaced with cable guides under the toptube and have it coated for about $150. My question, is it worth it? The Nimble 9 already comes in the color I want (blue), has shorter chainstays than the Monkey with better tire clearance, a taller front end, cable guides under the top tube, and badazz paragon sliders. The only issues I have heard about with the Nimble are the wider than normal chainstays.
    I love my Nimble9, but I would suggest, that if you already love your KM that you put a little $$ in to it and keep riding it, unless you absolutely HAVE to run a fat rear tire and the short headtube is making it uncomfortable to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    2012 Nimble 9 frames will be here next month ! Get your orders in because these new colors won't last !

in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, United States - photo by gollub01 - Pinkbike.com

hispanic mechanic
    What other colors are there besides the purple?

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

errr...
    That purple looks sick!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-2012-purple-canfield-nimble9.jpg  

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast