Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1830
    Ride On
    I love this ride.

The rest of the story...

What I learned as a first time bike builder:

1. Not all torque wrenchs measure torque in both forward and reverse...
    2. Cable kits come with one long and one short cable...
    3. N9 Drop outs bolts have no spec and go course side to frame.
    4. User tutorials for installation and setup of certain items (BB7's) are better than manufacturers info.
    5. Manufacturers lie about part weights (I assumed so but hey others may not.)
    6. Add to build list specialty tools required to install certain parts (BB, Cassette)
    7. Don't build when your tired...
    8. MTBR Forums and its members rock.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch.

Thanks for all the help!

Bike details:

Current Weight 29.19 lbs

N9 Small
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Comps (soon to be swapped out for Canfield's)
    Forks: 2012 Marzocchi 44 TST2 29 QR15
    Brakes: Avid BB7, Speed Dial SL
    Cranks: SRAM X9 170mm GXP
    Chainring: MRP Bling Ring 28T
    Chainguide: MRP 1.X Guide ST Mount - Black (not yet installed)
    RD Shifter: SRAM X.9 10-Speed Rear Trigger Shifter
    RD: Sram X9 Rear Derailleur 10 speed medium
    Chain: SRAM PC-1070 10 SPEED
    Cassette: Sram X9 Cassette PG 1070 11 36
    SP: Gravity Dropper Turbo
    SP Clamp: Thompson 29.8
    HS: Cane creek 110
    Stem: Truvativ 60mm 7 Degree Flipped
    Bars: Answer Pro Taper 780mm 12mm rise 9 degree sweep (soon to be upgraded to Syntace 800mm 0rise 12 degree sweep)
    Pedals: AMP
    Seat: Spec. Ergo
    Grips: Ergon GA1
    Cables: Ripcord's
    Tires:Ardent 2.4 setup tubeless

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-2012-09-23_17-42-15_28.jpg
    Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-2012-09-23_17-42-43_798.jpg
    Michael

Ride on!

29er
    Apr 2010
    Looks great

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Just wanted to mention I just posted a fork in the classifieds that would work well for a small or medium Nimble (steerer may be a little too short for L/XL) - 2012 reba rlt with 15mm axle and straight steerer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just tried a 70mm stem on my large nimble with a 100mm fork and I must say I think you folks who promote the short stem wide bar combo are definately onto something here. My lbs was nice enough to let me borrow the stem from their parts bin to try it.
    The difference from 90mm to 70mm was very noticable. I only rode on the street and over a few small obstacles but I get the impression that the front wheel will be better weighted with a shorter stem and the steering feels more natural and less floppy.
    I really like the upright positon this gives, makes the bike feel more like a big bmx. I can see how the slacker head angle would work better with a shorter stem.
    I'll give this a try on the trails later in the week and if I like it there I'm gonna keep it.
    Last edited by WVJon75; 09-25-2012 at 07:52 PM.

I'm with stupid
    How well are the chains staying on the 1x9 and 1x10 setups without a a chain tensioner? .

Ride On
    Perfectly so far... No chain drop either makes me wonderif I actually need the chain guide
    Last edited by geraldooka; 09-25-2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Your trails must not be too rough because without a chain guide mine will drop on most downhills around here.

29er
    Apr 2010
    my old hardtail would drop too
    didn't want to take a chance, reused my chain guide

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    Your trails must not be too rough because without a chain guide mine will drop on most downhills around here.
    We'd all get a chuckle around here on that comment... I suppose I should have said "yet" that X9 RD spring is pretty stiff still though after all its only been a 4 or 5 rides so far, though I've been riding the darn thing every chance I get it is SO MUCH FUN!!!

I highly encourage anyone to come on over the Vancouver Island we have some of the finest mountain biking trails anywhere and a wonderfully supportive community here. MSG me up if your up this way!

Tonight's ride at the local MTB skills park moments before bailing hard (even 29er's are no match for deep loose dust over hard pack.)

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-1.jpg
    Michael

Ride on!

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    How well are the chains staying on the 1x9 and 1x10 setups without a a chain tensioner? .
    With no guide on my 1x10, I was having a drop every other ride or so. Not a big deal, but enough of a pain that I decided to go with a Paul Chain Keeper.

mtbr member

1x9 No Chain Guide

I'm running a X9 medium cage without a guide. Chain came off twice on the first ride, but after getting the chain the right length, no issues. Too long and it will come off, too short and it won't shift to the largest cog. You have to experiment. I used an old chain to dial it in then shortened the new chain to that length.

By the way, this bike rocks. Makes me want to buy another to build as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    We'd all get a chuckle around here on that comment... I suppose I should have said "yet" that X9 RD spring is pretty stiff still though after all its only been a 4 or 5 rides so far, though I've been riding the darn thing every chance I get it is SO MUCH FUN!!!

I highly encourage anyone to come on over the Vancouver Island we have some of the finest mountain biking trails anywhere and a wonderfully supportive community here. MSG me up if your up this way!

Tonight's ride at the local MTB skills park moments before bailing hard (even 29er's are no match for deep loose dust over hard pack.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1008 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	726504
    No offense...lol. Sounds like you have are in a great mountainbiking area there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It ain't pretty but it gets the job done. I wanted to run 1 x 9 with a bashguard and some sort of chain keeper with my RF Evolve crankset and long cage SRAM X9 RD. CanBros recommended the MRP 1x guide installed high, just above the bashguard, but the chain still dropped/got hung up occasionally. I took off the outer plate of the 1x, dropped it down and haven't had an issue since.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So what are my chances someone wants to move on to a different build and sell me their Medium frame for a good price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I could be talked out of mine...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm wondering if I got the right size. My frame is a large and I'm 6'2" with long arms and a 36" inseam with my riding shoes on. I got the notion to try a short stem (70mm) but it feels a bit short. A 90mm stem feels just right. Also my seat is about 4 inches higher than my bars. Should I have a longer TT so I can run a shorter stem? I don't see how you can just throw a shorter stem on with your normal TT length.
    If I decide on an xl frame I will have a white L for sale.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    I'm wondering if I got the right size. My frame is a large and I'm 6'2" with long arms and a 36" inseam with my riding shoes on. I got the notion to try a short stem (70mm) but it feels a bit short. A 90mm stem feels just right. Also my seat is about 4 inches higher than my bars. Should I have a longer TT so I can run a shorter stem? I don't see how you can just throw a shorter stem on with your normal TT length.
    If I decide on an xl frame I will have a white L for sale.
    Your issue is the same reason I went to a XL.
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Ride On
    Already thinking upgrades... Installed the new Syntace 800mm flat bars love em. Been a bit underwhelmed by my braking ability and thinking I should have opted for a 203/185 combo vs the 160/160. I can stop but its not as easy as the tiddly wheeled (I love that line, thanks Wobbem) bikes.

What rotor combos are you guys running?
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Already thinking upgrades... Installed the new Syntace 800mm flat bars love em. Been a bit underwhelmed by my braking ability and thinking I should have opted for a 203/185 combo vs the 160/160. I can stop but its not as easy as the tiddly wheeled (I love that line, thanks Wobbem) bikes.

What rotor combos are you guys running?
    Ditch the BB7s and get '12 Shimano XT brakes.

They rock!!!

I'm with stupid
    Is anyone having issues with the paint chipping down to the metal super easy? Mine had "rock marks" on the seat tube, seat stays, down tube, from rocks being thrown up from the tires, and the cable rub really hurts this bike quick! I have last years orange one by the way and it is not very old.

Ride On
    Ya the paint job is not of stellar quality. The paint job on my old rocky mountain hammer is much tougher.

It was suggested by another owner to apply a hard wax coat to the frame. Haven't done this yet... I figure its a mountain bike I can always touch up spots with a color matched enamel.
    Michael

Ride on!

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    Ditch the BB7s and get '12 Shimano XT brakes.

They rock!!!
    But I'm a luddite... I appreciate the recommendation (I'm certain that XT's do rock) but I'm not that unhappy with the BB7's In fact I quite like them, setup was dead easy, their clean, simple maintenance and the SD7 levers are awesome.
    Last edited by geraldooka; 09-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Michael

Ride on!

transmitter~receiver
    But I'm a luddite...
    A luddite with disc brakes on your mtb?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

I'm with stupid
    Ya the paint job is not of stellar quality. The paint job on my old rocky mountain hammer is much tougher.

It was suggested by another owner to apply a hard wax coat to the frame. Haven't done this yet... I figure its a mountain bike I can always touch up spots with a color matched enamel.
    That is a shame, with the rear of my bike up by the seat stay and seat tube meeting starting to have 8-9 chips all the way down to the metal I dont think this bike will last as many seasons as I want it to without going and getting a new powder coat job done on it. Or I can let is keep going and go with the "surface of the moon" look .

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ride through some chunk/rocks and haven't had issues with my paint job. Maybe you should try a clear bra film on the underside.

Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast