Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ariolimax columbianus
    sick ryan....just stumbled on this thread a few days ago, along w/scott forty g's thread. had no idea about these frames, everything looks just like something i want too. stoked to see your build and hear about your thoughts on the ride. it's nice to see some of these newer 29er geometries move towards slacker head angle/shorter chainstays, similar to a custom blackcat (to me). i'm gonna start sellin other bike stuff today so i can get one soon.

as much as i'd want one of todd's bikes the price on these is too hard to refuse, built up how you want it, and have some scratch left over for other projects. guess i'm just real curious too if you'd really take a bike like this up to places like tahoe or even downieville with a front suspension fork and ride rockier stuff day to day without feelin beat up.

hispanic mechanic
    Not Ryan, but I'll try and answer your questions. Personally, I'd take my N9 to Downie, Tahoe, Moab, Iowa, Tangiers...wherever.
    I think that where you're willing and able to ride a hardtail has more to do with you than the bike. If you're used to chunk on a HT, this bike will make your happy parts even happier. But it won't let you ride that stuff the same way a squish bike will.
    I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but it really comes down to riding style, skill, and experience. I still remember the first time I saw Pete Webber and Whit Johnson ride the drop into Horsethief in Fruita. Pete was on a single speed HT, Whit was on a rigid single. I was sketched riding it on my Bullitt, and those two rode it like it was nothing.
    If I were at the top of that drop right now, I would consider it on my Nimble, but I've grown as a rider, and most of the 11 years since that day have been spent on rigid fixed, rigid freewheel, or hardtail singles. Nah, I still would probably wuss out.
    So, after that overly long and disjointed response, a hardtail like the N9 will only beat you up on the long rough downhill if you ride it like a squish. Otherwise, it's the most capable HT I've ever ridden on the downs.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    esku, where is your seatpost clamp?

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Just ordered a big green frame! Gonna run it 2x9...what is the FD of choice for the geared riders out there?
    TIA
    Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz View Post
    Just ordered a big green frame! Gonna run it 2x9...what is the FD of choice for the geared riders out there?
    TIA
    Bz
    A couple posts by the Canfields:

Looks like a Shimano D-M771
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ye...ur#post7363011

Cut it down for clearance
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/ca...ur#post7744921
    Last edited by slocaus; 08-22-2011 at 03:47 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Training for vacation
    771D for $10.50
    Just ordered it so i dont know if there are any clearance issues

hispanic mechanic

Glow in the dark?

So, I rode to my office this morning, and brought the Nimble in to hang out in the locker room instead of out in the 100+ degree heat (for like the 50th day this summer....)
    I turned off the light, looked back, and it seemed my frame was glowing! Acid flashback? Is the paint called "Fukushima Daiiachi Blue? Is anyone else seeing this?!?

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Glowing! I am gonna go nuts waiting for the brown truck! Green will glow better! I am going to try a SLX 9sp 665 E-Type...it comes off the BB mount...and I hope will work! I have one on another bike with a 34/22 combo and it has been flawless. Now...I have a Voodoo Zombie 500 fork and a Tower Expert120mm comming....I think the shock goes in the showroom and back to rigid I am till I find the perfect 120 fork! The Towers are leading...they fit a WTB Dissent on P-35's....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    So, I rode to my office this morning, and brought the Nimble in to hang out in the locker room instead of out in the 100+ degree heat (for like the 50th day this summer....)
    I turned off the light, looked back, and it seemed my frame was glowing! Acid flashback? Is the paint called "Fukushima Daiiachi Blue? Is anyone else seeing this?!?

Los
    Yup. I likes it in a goofy way. I was wondering if anyone would bring this up.. Does the black glow too??!

What I really like is the handling of this rig. The 120 up front is perfectly pleasant on the tech-ups of swashbuckling-switchbackery in the rocks. On the dh, the bike has a quick plant-me/rail-me kinda feel to it. In the air you can toss it about easier than other 9r's I have ridden.

Most 9'rs to me feel barge-ish so I went custom about 6 years ago and got the stays down to just below 17. I liked it plenty, but 16.5 is hella better and a slack head has surprised me pleasantly.

The bike is always right there with you and likes to be charged.
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

AOK
    mtbr member
    A little progress. Ordered the fork this weekend, so I should have it built in a few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_6432.jpg  

hispanic mechanic
    BTW, just posted a review. I encourage others to post their reviews as well.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Here is the final product after cleaning up the spacers and brake cables.

hispanic mechanic
    Sharp! Lookin' good, now get it dirty!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Sharp! Lookin' good, now get it dirty!

Los
    Its so dry here that all its going to get is dusty.

hispanic mechanic
    Dry?!? Feh. We've had a bit over 6" of rain. This year.
    And we've had 44 100+ degree days, so far.
    If you ever make it across the desolate plains of I10 West, give me a shout. I'd be happy to show you around some of the rockfests we call trails in San Antonio.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    I'll have to take you up on that at some point, only a small jaunt from Houston.

Gigantic Hawk
    I wouldn't say that my green frame glows, but it does look badass in low light. The green really begins to pop as the sun goes down.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Milk - that turned out hawt! I'm leaning towards the blue on my hopeful soon to build!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Washers...?

Got my green frame yesterday and will build it up over the next week or so if I can find the time.

Just a small question:

From the pics in this thread and on the Canfield site it looks like the two included washers go on the driveside dropout? So do I just bolt the disc-side dropout on with no washers...?

Sorry for the noob question but it's my first bike with sliders...

Will post some pics when the build is done

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977 View Post
    Got my green frame yesterday and will build it up over the next week or so if I can find the time.

Just a small question:

From the pics in this thread and on the Canfield site it looks like the two included washers go on the driveside dropout? So do I just bolt the disc-side dropout on with no washers...?

Sorry for the noob question but it's my first bike with sliders...

Will post some pics when the build is done
    There are probably 4 washers, with two kinda stuck together. You may have to get your thumbnail in there to pry them apart. If you only got two, then by all means get another pair of lockwashers like these before you assemble your frame.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Canfield Brothers
    Glowing! I am gonna go nuts waiting for the brown truck! Green will glow better! I am going to try a SLX 9sp 665 E-Type...it comes off the BB mount...and I hope will work! I have one on another bike with a 34/22 combo and it has been flawless. Now...I have a Voodoo Zombie 500 fork and a Tower Expert120mm comming....I think the shock goes in the showroom and back to rigid I am till I find the perfect 120 fork! The Towers are leading...they fit a WTB Dissent on P-35's....
    A bb mount derailleur may work but will greatly reduce tire clearance. Just get a direct mount derailleur and cut the bottom pull arm off and your have the ability to run short stays with tire clearance.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.M. View Post
    Here is another N9. I will post again when it is done.
    How's this build coming please? I am super excited to see the drop version of this bike completed.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    A bb mount derailleur may work but will greatly reduce tire clearance. Just get a direct mount derailleur and cut the bottom pull arm off and your have the ability to run short stays with tire clearance.
    Yeah....I couldnt find a 9sp....I have heard you can take the drail off the BB mount and use as a direct mount. I have my fingers and toes crossed. If not-1x until i get one! Thanks for the reply!
    BZ

transmitter~receiver
    Yeah....I couldnt find a 9sp....
    Really?
    Jenson has them for $10.
    link (send beer)
    I have heard you can take the drail off the BB mount and use as a direct mount. I have my fingers and toes crossed. If not-1x until i get one!
    different mount... won't work. just get the $10 XT and be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

transmitter~receiver
    And we've had 44 100+ degree days, so far.
    today will make 70 in atx.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    today will make 70 in atx.
    'splains your name......
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Really?
    Jenson has them for $10.
    link (send beer)

different mount... won't work. just get the $10 XT and be done.
    I own a shop...I would rather ride 26in than shop mailorder-LOL
    yea....I had a big order from a supply house together and threw it in...I want the short 2 gear SLX cage! Could not find any proof that it would come off and be a direct mount-or any that it would not.....so

Have not had any direct mount bilds yet...we do from the frame up on all we sell...so,I experiment on my personal ride. Now-Im bummed...I gotta order again...and wait again! I will ride SS or something till i get one!
    OH.....If anyone has the BB mount and a dirrect mount frame-please take it apart and tell me!!!!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the FD help...just did research.....there are a few "standards" for direct mount!!! The one on the BB mounts is not the same as the one on the frame! Crisis averted...new FD on the way! I think all will arive on the same day as the frame! Without y'alls help....I would have been disapointed! That is the charm of MTBR....people who help! Now to sit and wait for the build next Tue.

transmitter~receiver
    I own a shop.
    How would I know that?
    Could not find any proof that it would come off and be a direct mount-or any that it would not.....so
    a picture is worth a thousand words, i guess.

take it off the bb mount:

those bolt holes aren't gonna work with:

Have not had any direct mount bilds yet...we do from the frame up on all we sell...so,I experiment on my personal ride. Now-Im bummed...I gotta order again...and wait again! I will ride SS or something till i get one!
    OH.....If anyone has the BB mount and a dirrect mount frame-please take it apart and tell me!!!!
    It won't work... look at the pictures.
    There are two direct mount standards.
    You need the one that looks like what I recommended.
    and I don't even own a shop.

Jus' tryin' to be helpful.

mtbr member
    and I don't even own a shop.

Jus' tryin' to be helpful.
    LOL love it, small little burn there. Sounds just like an email I got from a client today and he even commented on the fact he was "burning" me...

"Joseph will be enough to handle all the users in my office (secret burn)? "

Got to love it...

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I take my well deserved smack down with grace! LOL
    But I has duct tape and a dremel....I can do it!

hispanic mechanic
    You may laugh. We've all seen the damage that can be done with a dremel, a roll of duct tape, and a sixer!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

transmitter~receiver
    a true sportsman!

jus' a lil' friendly mc ribbin'

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    FYI with a 36/24 2x10 setup the SLX derailleur does NOT work, can't get it mounted low enough.
    The X0 derailleur works fine, the slot is longer.

Anyone want to buy a SLX derailleur? Will work fine on standard 3x9 cranks, has the bottom pull piece cut off for tire clearance. Not needed on this bike since it's top pull.

hispanic mechanic
    Good to know. I like that this thread is developing a knowledge base for stuff like this.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There are probably 4 washers, with two kinda stuck together.
    Correct Will start my build tonight...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Very interested in this frame. Also interested in the Salsa El Mariachi and Vassago Jabberwocky. Why should I go with the N9?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Because the 9 is better

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I'm interested in this frame but I'm curious how wide the the frame is from the outside of one chainstay to the outside of the other as several people have mentioned their heals rubbing or catching their shoe on the chainstays. I have had lots of frames and never had this issue until I picked up a Knolly endorphin. The endorphin is 6 3/4" across at the point where my heals pass the chainstays and I get the occasional heal rub. My Jabbery on the other hand is 6" from chainstay to chainstay and I have tons of room.
    Frames that utilize this style of slider tend to (by design) have chain and seat stays that are wider than frames with standard dropouts because the slider mechanism has to sit inside the line of the stays.

I have worn the paint off both seat and chain stays on my 2010 Kona Unit with the same style sliders. I run SLX cranks with short spindle Eggbeaters on it, and I am aware that my toes point outwards, probably from a tendancy for my hips to prefer a lower Q factor. I don't notice the rubbing when I'm riding though. The chain stays on the Unit bend outwards towards the sliders at about 2/3 along their length. The chain stays on the Nimble 9 seem to almost curve outwards from bottom bracket brace.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The new bike on its first ride. Rode a few miles of pavement to the trail and back. I have the same heel rub as others have mentioned. I need to dial in the setup a bit but love it already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-photo.jpg  

Gigantic Hawk
    J.A.M.- That thing looks wicked fun. Nice build.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    can anyone recommend a retailer? PM me. not looking to pay msrp from canfield site. thanks

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner View Post
    can anyone recommend a retailer? PM me. not looking to pay msrp from canfield site. thanks
    Yeah, don't be sucker like the rest of us. Wouldn't want to pay a reasonable price to a small company trying to offer a great, thoughtfully designed bike.
    What the he'll makes you think you're so special?

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, don't be sucker like the rest of us. Wouldn't want to pay a reasonable price to a small company trying to offer a great, thoughtfully designed bike.
    What the he'll makes you think you're so special?

Los
    Yeah...they are clearly gouging! Hold your ground, and pay less than their cost FTW!

Gigantic Hawk
    lame
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    na I asked a legit question. I was under the impression this was a volume produced frame, hence there would be authorized Canfield Brothers dealers that can move new frames for less than msrp since they buy in bulk. everyone wins, canfield, the dealer and the consumer. hope to be a proud owner too someday, now carry on with the sweet build pics and frame Q&A.
    Last edited by chestercospinner; 08-27-2011 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.M. View Post
    The new bike on its first ride. Rode a few miles of pavement to the trail and back. I have the same heel rub as others have mentioned. I need to dial in the setup a bit but love it already.
    Sweet pic man. Ride info? Saddle to bar drop feels OK to you? I'm loving the potential versatility of this frame. Monster, adventure, cross, single, or just regular 29er...loving it.

I may have to build one for myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Review

Here is a quick first ride review of my all mountain Nimble Nine. This thing rules!

Oly Dirt: Canfield Brothers Nimble Nine

Ariolimax columbianus

some sizing questions

hey all just wondering if you could help me out. ready to order my nimble 9 today but was just makin sure i order the right size. i'm about 5'10" long torso, been ridin a small vassago bandersnatch w/a 600mm top tube & 90mm thomson stem, w/ hella seatpost showin. sometimes i wonder if i shoulda got the medium and ran a shorter stem, but wonder if the top tube would be too long, i think it's 615mm btw.

will a medium nimble 9 fit me well? i've been noticing some folks sizing up and rollin shorter stem in the yelli screamy thread.

i like the black and green color, don't know which one to get.....i keep scrollin through this thread and checkin out the builds. last thing, will a 30.0mm seat clamp work, or do i have to use a 29.8mm? thanks for any help.

banned
    Sep 2007
    na I asked a legit question. I was under the impression this was a volume produced frame, hence there would be authorized Canfield Brothers dealers that can move new frames for less than msrp since they buy in bulk. everyone wins, canfield, the dealer and the consumer. hope to be a proud owner too someday, now carry on with the sweet build pics and frame Q&A.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Canfield was going with the boutique style, Direct Market through the internet program with these 29'er frames. That is, unless you bump into him in person at the downhill races and get lucky enough to get a demo ride in. I was enjoying a Nimble Nine this weekend at the NorthStar at Tahoe downhill races while Chris was there. Must also try a Yelli Screamy demo too while scraping up the coin for one of these frames.

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast