Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1831
    Ride On

Makin up the shopping list

Getting close and just making up the shopping list.

Sean has been super helpful with some initial questions. Kudos to him.

Re: frame sizing, Sean initially thought I could go either small or medium but on my last call with him he suggested a small would be just right.

I was hoping I could ask the opinions of owners as well. I'm 5' 7" and change, with a 30" inseam and average proportions. My current ride apparently has an ETT of 560mm (I was surprised it was so short.) I currently run a 780mm wide bar and a 60mm long stem. Fit seems great, I have a good athletic arm position, leaned over some but not such that it makes looking straight ahead uncomfortable. With the seat in the optimum efficiency position I have a decent amount of seatpost left in the frame and I can get the bar about level or slightly lower than the seat.

So if I was planning to run a 120mm long fork this would put me squarely in the small frame, yes? Anyone know the ETT of the small frame with a 120mm fork? With an 80mm fork I'd be 20mm longer than my current setup but I suspect it would shorten up a bit with the longer fork.

Thanks!!

Michael

get down!
    definitely a small frame bro, no question.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Ride On
    Thanks!

While I'd love a Fox Talas they are out of my price range looking at either the Manitou or Marzocchi options. Is there a specific fork offset I should be looking for? I have read about there being a "newer" 51mm offset. Does this apply to this frame?

Thanks,

Michael

get down!
    No, standard offset. Just find a fork with the travel and features you want and don't worry about it too much. I think Los runs a G2 and likes it. I would just find a regular fork (non G2) and go with it. Good luck and don't overthink it too much. Get it built up while the weather is still nice.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    FWIW I have a FoxF29 80mm G2 offset fork on a Salsa Mamasita and have also run the same fork on an On-One Inbred and I have also run it at 100mm on my Yelli Screamy. It worked fine on all 3 bikes and does speed up the handling a bit. I now have a std offset Reba set at 120mm on the yelli and it performs very well, bit slower steering, but I think thats the head angle as well. Im running a 1.125 straight steerer with zero-stack headset to keep the head angle as steep as possible.
    What I have found is that there is a huge difference in steering precision between a FoxF29 with 9mm axle and a Reba with 20mm thorugh axle -- I really did not like the Fox at 100mm, but at 80mm its ok.
    Would be keen to try some G2 Rebas at 120mm on the yelli if I can find any -- so as to speed up the slow-speed steering a bit

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Something is definitely defective. That much seat tube buckling could only occure if the frame or post were severely out-of-spec. A different brand isn't required so much making sure you have non-defective stuff of whatever brand.

I have a Thomson seatpost and it is a snug fit in the N9. Given Thomson's impeccable tolerances, one possibility is a counterfeit Thomson seatpost. Look here for one example: Factory Tour: Thomson | Mountain Bike Blog || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    It's no news that Thomson seat posts are notorious for being under-sized. I've got 5 currently and they're all sitting in the parts box, except for one. They're all 27.2 and fit sloppy on both my mtb and road bikes. I actually broke a couple of binder bolts, because I had to crank them so much. Never buying one of these again.

EDIT: Neg repped. "fool of sheet (idiot) ~gonzostrike". At least you signed your name. Hilarious people get worked up about stuff like this. Must have a boring life.
    Last edited by phsycle; 07-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    For me the steep climbing ability was the make or break for this bike.

The N9 with longer fork, higher bars, shorter chainstays (mine are at about 16.6") and weight bias to the rear climbs as well as my old MCR9 set up for XC racing with lower bars, shorter fork, and longer chainstays.

Only diff. is that I have to stand just a little earlier in super steep climbs to maintain balance. Overall I can climb just as steep, and I usually am seated. Steering is not affected.

The Canfield Bros. really did their homework.

-F
    I agree with this. I've cleared some steep trails on this bike (set up SS, 100mm fork). One recent climb even had my previous geared 26er HT's front end wandering (that's at 3-9, seated climb), but the N9 bit down and hardly ever wandered. I've got the drops slammed forward on 32x20, which I believe helped a ton. I was able to grind away, putting enough weight down on the rear to keep it from slipping, and clear the climb. My favorite bike to date.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Dammit... me want one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A quick picture of my build:

-Large Nimble 9
    -120 mm Fox Float fork
    -Hope Hubs (SS rear)
    -Stan's Flow EX wheels (set built by MikeSee, incredibly nice set for the price)
    -XT cranks
    -XT brakes
    -Niner carbon flat bar
    -Thomson 80 mm stem
    -Thomson seat post
    -Praxis Works 32t chain ring
    -Niner 20t cog
    -Probably something else i forgot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Getting close and just making up the shopping list.

Sean has been super helpful with some initial questions. Kudos to him.

Re: frame sizing, Sean initially thought I could go either small or medium but on my last call with him he suggested a small would be just right.

I was hoping I could ask the opinions of owners as well. I'm 5' 7" and change, with a 30" inseam and average proportions. My current ride apparently has an ETT of 560mm (I was surprised it was so short.) I currently run a 780mm wide bar and a 60mm long stem. Fit seems great, I have a good athletic arm position, leaned over some but not such that it makes looking straight ahead uncomfortable. With the seat in the optimum efficiency position I have a decent amount of seatpost left in the frame and I can get the bar about level or slightly lower than the seat.

So if I was planning to run a 120mm long fork this would put me squarely in the small frame, yes? Anyone know the ETT of the small frame with a 120mm fork? With an 80mm fork I'd be 20mm longer than my current setup but I suspect it would shorten up a bit with the longer fork.

Thanks!!

Michael
    I'd concur, small frame all the way. I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. Fit seems absolutely perfect. I whip this bike around like I'm riding a BMX from my youth.

- 70mm stem with 700mm uncut low rise bars.
    - Niner fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pdibsie View Post

-Large Nimble 9
    -120 mm Fox Float fork
    -Hope Hubs (SS rear)
    -Stan's Flow EX wheels (set built by MikeSee, incredibly nice set for the price)
    -XT cranks
    -XT brakes
    -Niner carbon flat bar
    -Thomson 80 mm stem
    -Thomson seat post
    -Niner 20t cog
    Nice build. I really need to try out a 120mm fork on my N9. 100mm isn't bad, though.

Ride On
    Very clean build. Great job.

I'd love a set of those Flows its too bad one can't send a hub to them. I'd love the 9t hub in their Flow EX... I'm sold on their rim design. I suppose I could get them built locally...

M

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    No, standard offset. Just find a fork with the travel and features you want and don't worry about it too much. I think Los runs a G2 and likes it. I would just find a regular fork (non G2) and go with it. Good luck and don't overthink it too much. Get it built up while the weather is still nice.
    Had.
    I sold it, and picked up a Tower Pro for the 120mm of travel, and the QR15.
    The G2 really didn't make a huge difference to me either way- I liked it just fine but don't miss it.
    As appleSSeed said, ride whatever.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    this is almost exactly how i'd like to build a N9 if i could find a medium frame...

the white of the fork and frame seem to match well in your pic - is there any difference in person?

Quote Originally Posted by pdibsie View Post

-Large Nimble 9
    -120 mm Fox Float fork
    -Hope Hubs (SS rear)
    -XT cranks
    -XT brakes
    -Niner carbon flat bar
    -Thomson 80 mm stem
    -Thomson seat post
    -Niner 20t cog

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the kind words. The fork and frame seem to match perfectly. It took me a lot of time to decide on which components I wanted, but come to find out there are some incredible deals out there! I've only been on a handful of rides so far, but man this thing is a blast! Truly is as fun to go downhill as it is to climb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have posted this in the singlespeed forum but I figure it belongs here to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-nimble-2.jpg  

Ride On

Marz 44's on order

Starting the purchases and now the waiting game

Are there any N9 owners out there running a 120mm fork on a small frame? If so could you please humor me and take a quick measurement of the ETT? I'd be much obliged! The Marz forks have a C/A of 531 at the 120mm setting.

I just don't want to have to exchange frames if I don't have to.

Thanks!!!

Michael

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I sold it, and picked up a Tower Pro for the 120mm of travel, and the QR15.
    That's the exact fork I'm looking at. Looks like they're going for ~$400.

hispanic mechanic
    Anyone else done a 100 miler on their Nimble?
    I'll post my race report later, in a new thread...

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member

Rear Wheel

How did you guys or gals figure out where to put the rear wheel in the dropouts? I'm going to run a 1x9 with a 120mm Marz up front. Shoud I start all the way back, all the way front, or in the middle?

mtbr member
    I'm SS, but since one of the selling features of this frame is the short chain stay length, I started with the sliders all the way forward. I got lucky that my gearing allowed it to stay there.

For a 1x9 I'd start all the way forward unless you have a tire clearance issue or don't like how it handles..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Anyone else done a 100 miler on their Nimble?
    I'll post my race report later, in a new thread...

Los
    Looking forward to this. You're rocking SS as well, yes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Has anyone used touch-up paint on their bike? I'm looking for a suggestion to cover a small chip in the paint where a stray rock struck just right...

AOK
    mtbr member
    N9 Reborn!

After stealing most of the parts from my N9 to go on a Spearfish build back in the spring, my N9 has been laying in the garage in pieces all summer. I seriously thought about selling the frame, but just couldn't bring myself to part with such a fun bike.

Finally managed to put it back together, mostly by gradually upgrading/swapping parts on the Spearfish. Version 2 has more or less the same spec as version 1. Major difference is a swap from 2x10 to 1x10 using a MRP 28T bling ring. Also finally got around to putting on some glow in the dark Ourys to match the glow in the dark frame.

First ride was today. Loads of fun on the first half, nursing a flat back home for the second half (doh!). Still it was nice to get out on the N9 again and I am really looking forward to many more rides in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0850.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-img_0849.jpg  

I'm with stupid
    How well does your chain stay on with the 1x10 without a tensioner?

Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 ... LastLast