Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
Results 1,951 to 2,000 of 2000
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    -deleted-
    Last edited by SeB-66; 03-29-2015 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    They look very similar to me. Perhaps your monitor is not calibrated correctly? We use our computer for photo editing, and the blue looks pretty close to me.
    Thanks. Canfield corrected the color after I pointed out the difference to them. Ironically, I love the blue now and prefer it over what I was expecting

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

N9 build ready to shred

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Are you running your Ardent on the rear backwards on purpose? If so, what advantages do you think it gives you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Are you running your Ardent on the rear backwards on purpose? If so, what advantages do you think it gives you?
    Most likely better climbing. I do the same on my psycho genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone know the rear axle set screw size? I've lost mine and not sure if it really needs to be there, but would rather keep everything tight. 2015 dropouts btw

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    It was actually a mistake I noticed after I had painstakingly seated the whole tire tubeless with a floor pump.... The tread pattern and center knobs looked like they would provide a bit more grip this way as a rear tire so I kept it. Only 2 short Houston rides so far and it's been great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have been using Ardents backwards on the rear for years (on purpose). Yes, I do think it makes a difference. Whenever I ride a demo bike with them both on the way that's marked on the tire it bugs the heck out of me, I feel like I break forward traction more easily.

How well did the Ardents' bead lock on to the Flow EX? Good snug fit but not too snug? I've been using the non-TR version on Flows (non EX) for a long time and am considering the Flow EX for a new build but am wary about reports that the EX's smaller hooks are considerably less tolerant of different bead sizes.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for letting me know. I may have to try it out, although I really like my DHR2 on the rear of my Honzo.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Attachment 938037

OK, I gave this thing a pretty good workout today.

It's still pretty stiff. Root gardens get my eyeballs rattling.

It is very good on cornering stability and accuracy. I had no idea how much the other one flexed until I leaned hard on this one. I was in a spot where a steep hill about 30ft. long ended at the water where you made a 90 degree left turn. It's one of those things where once you start you can't go back. Front end control felt really good.
    I rode UP some stairs. Some frame flex there would have been welcome.
    I also did some small-ish drops - about as high as my wheel. In that case, the frame felt fine and not overly stiff.
    Tire pressure is as low as I can go and still keep the tires from rolling off.

The lower front end using the zero stack headset lower was probably to no advantage. While it is not too low, I think I actually notice that 1 degree of rake. Really. But it does corner well. I think I am probably better with slightly higher bars and a higher front - I can always get lower, but my arms won't get longer.

-F
    Setting the N9 aside while Winter raged turned out to be a good thing.
    I rode a couple other bikes instead and saved the N9 for better weather. Well, this past weekend I made a fresh start on this bike at the Mohican SP MTB course in Loudonville, OH. Despite the hero dirt conditions, I will say that my timing was very rusty for cornering and braking so my accuracy (which is important in riding rigid) suffered, but I was going REALLY fast on the straights! There are 2 corners where I know if I can pedal out and not brake before the bottom of the hill I'm doing 30mph. The bike felt great!
    As I got into the last 4 miles or so of the course I finally started to really dial in and I found myself carrying big speed and just skimming along the roots and small bumps, and sweeping through the turns. I could really feel the terrain through the bike (which I like) and the stability and steering input and feedback were razor sharp without things feeling too harsh. I could tell how fast I was going because I got a few light rim hits in the last mile or so. I hadn't felt that the whole rest of the ride.
    I think I have adapted my riding style a bit to the stiffer frame so I guess it's a keeper.

I also cleaned one gravelly climb where even a guy on a fatbike was getting just enough traction. So climbing prowess on this bike is there as well.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone running any of the wider LB carbon rims say 35-40 mm outer width on your N9's?

squish, squish in da fish
    not carbon, but 45mm od dually's. what is the concern?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just wanted to make sure they would fit in the rear without any rub

i can fit a dhf 2.5 wrapped around a dually in the back no problem. not quite slammed on the do's, but close

mtbr member
    Final Iteneration:
    (Krampus fork, SS, i9 wheelset, XT brakes). Love it!

Noticed this when I got home

*Canfield has been incredibly cool. I wasn't the original owner of this frame, and its 5+ years old, and they are still offering me a crash replacement. That speaks very highly of their customer service and dedication!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Final Iteneration:
    (Krampus fork, SS, i9 wheelset, XT brakes). Love it!

Noticed this when I got home

*Canfield has been incredibly cool. I wasn't the original owner of this frame, and its 5+ years old, and they are still offering me a crash replacement. That speaks very highly of their customer service and dedication!
    I broke two in the same place. They need to throw a gusset in there, and re-release this as an XC frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Any large Nimble 9 frames out there for sale? I need one!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by braaapbraaap View Post
    Any large Nimble 9 frames out there for sale? I need one!
    Give the guys at Canfield a call to see what they may have as a demo frame that they want to unload. I got a frame a few months back that way. You never know til you ask!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks Jacobray! I may do that, I have been calling them pretty often with questions and put in a preorder for the next Chrome batch. Still getting impatient though with all these build pics.

StoneCutter
    For Sale: Large Red 2013 N9, set-up as a 1x10 Wolftooth 30t GXP direct mount (X-9 crank), XT 11x36, 785 Brakes, Ice Tech 180F/160R, Thomson MP seatpost, Thomson 70mm X4 Stem Red Faceplate & Top cap, CrankBrothers Iodine 3 720mm bars, XTR shifter, Phenom Saddle, KMC Gold chain, RockShox RL 120mm Fork, Pacenti TL28 rims laced with Hope Pro2 Evo hubs, Maxxis Icon 2.35R, Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25F, built Jan 2014 with less than 20 hours on the bike. New 39/26 X-9 spider goes with it. $2,000.00. PM for pics. Also have XTR left shifter and Shimano direct mount FD if interested.
    Turner 5 Spot
    Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Nimble 9+

I finally got my hands on a nimble 9 frame and got it built up.

Frame: 2014 Large nimble 9 Sparkle Blue
    Fork: Salsa Chromoto Grande off of my El Mar
    Wheels: Blunt 35's
    Front Tire: 27tpi Knard 29x3
    Rear Tire: 120tpi Vee Trax Fatty 29x3
    Cranks: Shimano Zee
    Pedals: Deity Compound Flats
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite Dropper 27.2
    Stem: Hussefelt 50mm
    Bars: Azonic Flow 50mm risers
    Brakes: Shimano Deore
    Seat: WTB Silverado

I just got the Vee Trax Fatty and I am super happy that I got a larger tire than a 2.4 to fit in the rear. The tire was 68mm wide on the Blunt 35's at high pressure and will be a bit smaller at riding pressure. It was also very easy to set up tubeless so I will be getting some more in the future. You cannot set the dropout slammed with the size of the tire but it is only about half and inch back so its not too bad.Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-20150726_145547.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Add me to the list.
    I really want to cry, I just want this same exact bike. I loved everything about it.
    I called Canfield and was very underwhelmed by their offer of a crash replacement. The 2 year warranty seems pretty out of place too, I'm really bummed about that. I can see 2 years on a downhill frame or something, but man, getting only a few years out of a steel hardtail? Pretty upset about this. Plus it seems I was only a few miles away from having my own "bridge incident"

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I broke two in the same place. They need to quit over-heating that entire area with all the welds, ...
    There, fixed it for ya...

I'm still about mine. It was replaced very promptly, but still not happy.

-F

Here's an article that cautions against the umpteen ways that a welder can overheat 4130. Adding an extra reinforcement layer (under the downtube) so near the headtube joint means that there are several inches of welding in a small area. If the first pass didn't overheat it you can bet the second pass did.
    Or did every one of these N9s rust out?
    (I find that highly unlikely)
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    First, glad you are OK. And sorry to hear about your disappointment with Canfield. I've found their customer service to be second to none so much so I just ordered another frame. Just curious - how old is the frame in the picture and are you the original owner?
    Dude on the phone was super awesome. I'm the original owner, it's a Gen 1 frame so whenever they were released, I was on the pre-order list. The purchasing customer services was top notch too.
    I really like the people there.
    But the 2 year warranty and crash replacement discount is what I'm sad about. I want to just get another one from them, but now I'm weighing my options on something with a better warranty.

WNC Native
    Man how many does it take before you just recall all the Gen 1 frames?????
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If not a recall, how about at least discounting the replacement frame to something that doesn't hurt?

Between the crash replacement cost, and getting a new seatpost for the new tube diameter, and the kit to change my wheel to through axle, and the adapter for the fork I"m out MORE than what I initially paid for the frame in the first place.

Plus now I have an ENO SS wheel for the bike that I can't ever use again, can't update an ENO to through axle.
    Does anyone even make a through axle compatible threaded hub (plus disc brake) for a BMX freewheel?

WNC Native
    Agreed, but this should be looked at differently than a crash replacement scenario IMHO.

When most (if not all) the Gen 1 frames are cracking/failing in the exact same location........ It's just luck that someone hasn't been hurt so far.

The Brothers normally have outstanding customer service. Not trying to bash them at all, just think something needs to be addressed here.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yup. I was oblivious to the problem so I never even checked my frame. I had JUST ridden about 200 miles in kingdom trails/millstone/stowe when I noticed the crack. I have nightmares about that head tube failing when I was going like 100mph through those awesome trails. I would have gotten really really F'd up for sure. I mean, my crack is BAD, my fault for not noticing until it got that bad but man, that's so close to complete failure.
    Here at home, it's generally like 5mph crawling through boulder fields. Which is why I got the bike. It's hands down the best bike for navigating the super difficult trails of North Jersey while keeping the ride comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by braaapbraaap View Post
    I finally got my hands on a nimble 9 frame and got it built up.

Frame: 2014 Large nimble 9 Sparkle Blue
    Fork: Salsa Chromoto Grande off of my El Mar
    Wheels: Blunt 35's
    Front Tire: 27tpi Knard 29x3
    Rear Tire: 120tpi Vee Trax Fatty 29x3
    Cranks: Shimano Zee
    Pedals: Deity Compound Flats
    Seatpost: Thompson Elite Dropper 27.2
    Stem: Hussefelt 50mm
    Bars: Azonic Flow 50mm risers
    Brakes: Shimano Deore
    Seat: WTB Silverado

I just got the Vee Trax Fatty and I am super happy that I got a larger tire than a 2.4 to fit in the rear. The tire was 68mm wide on the Blunt 35's at high pressure and will be a bit smaller at riding pressure. It was also very easy to set up tubeless so I will be getting some more in the future. You cannot set the dropout slammed with the size of the tire but it is only about half and inch back so its not too bad.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150726_145547.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	1004612
    Tell me more about the Vee Trax Fatty in the rear, I am very interested in doing this! How much clearance does the tire actually have? What is your gear ratio in the photo? Can you take a photo of the tire clearance?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by psychler View Post
    Tell me more about the Vee Trax Fatty in the rear, I am very interested in doing this! How much clearance does the tire actually have? What is your gear ratio in the photo? Can you take a photo of the tire clearance?

thanks
    I will take a picture of the clearance once I get home from work, but I will say I had very little issue getting the tire in a spot with enough clearance once I moved it far enough back to clear the height of the tire. I measured the maximum width of the rear triangle to be about 75mm, so with a tire width of 67-68mm on Blunt 35's I had about 4mm on each side of the tire in the sweet spot. I have tried to fit a Knard in the rear by cutting off the side knobs, but that did not work so I am glad there is finally a tire in 2.7-2.8" width range.

I did have to change my gearing from 32/19 to 32/18 (as seen in picture) to get the tire to sit where I wanted because unfortunately the half links I bought don't work with my chain...but that's Ok, I needed to gear up anyways.

Last night I got my first ride in on the tire and it felt like I was riding a magic carpet over the roots compared to my 2.4" trail king I had before. Unfortunately, I had a puncture right in the center of the tread and got covered with a jet of sealant only 10 minutes into my ride. I have never had a puncture since I have gone tubeless with trail kings and knards, so I am a little nervous that the tread might not be as beefy. Once I patch it up I will give it another chance to redeem itself. I think I was just having a crap day because after I threw a tube in it and rode I off I proceeded to crash and take a bar to my stomach and then later snap a side plate on my chain.

^hate those days

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Vee Trax Fatty 29+ Tire Clearance

I got around to taking a picture of the Vee trax fatty in the rear of my nimble 9. The pictures may not be the best, but there is enough clearance so that the little rubber whiskers that are sticking out just barely touch the frame. I have been riding this tire for about 10 rides and I havent gotten any rub on the inside of the frame and haven't heard any rub as well. I could definitely move the tire back more to get more clearance...but that defeats the purpose of having a nimble 9.Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-vee-tire-clearance.jpg

mtbr member
    Kdb71-

I just bought a large N9 and you and I have almost the same measurements it seems, just wondering your thoughts on the fit for yours. If I had the option I probably would have done the XL but the large will definitely work too.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdb71 View Post
    Frame: 2013 Nimble 9 Gen 2 Large Matte Black (with 142x12 dropout)
    Fork: Rockshox Pike 120
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Stem: Race Face Turbine -6 90mm
    Bar: Easton EC70
    Grips: ODI Rogue
    Hubs: Hope Evo Pro2
    Rims: Stan's Flow
    Tires:Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    Brakes: Hope Tech3 V4
    Rotors: Magura Storm 180mm
    Clamp: Canfield Bros
    Saddle: SDG Falcon
    Bottom Bracket: Hope
    Cranks: Race Face Turbine 175mm
    Chainring: Race Face N/W 32T
    Pedals: Hope F20
    Shifter: Sram X1
    Rear Der: Sram X1 X-Horizon
    Cassette: Sram XG-1180 10-42T
    Chain: Sram PC-XX1
    Musical Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAX8pyioL-U

Attachment 928979Attachment 928980Attachment 928981

Final weight is 27.5 lbs. I'm 6' 2" / 34" inseam / 160 lbs.

She is a bad, bad girl.
    -VeloRyan-

^what's your inseam/height? i ride xl with a 36 inseam at 6'-2". oh yeah a 50mm stem too. stack/reach is 25/18, fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    6'2" with inseam of ~34"

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    ^what's your inseam/height? i ride xl with a 36 inseam at 6'-2". oh yeah a 50mm stem too. reach/stack is 25/18, fits like a glove.
    -VeloRyan-

yeah, idk if 2" of inseam difference would bump you down to a L, but i doubt it. did you talk to sean before you bought it? i could have gone with a large if i wanted to run a longer stem, but that was outta the question with this frame. did you receive your frame yet? if not, then call and switch the order.

mtbr member
    Availability of XL (or lack of availability) is the issue. Planning on running a touch longer stem to compensate for difference of TT. The geometry is really close to a Santa Cruz chameleon that I had so I think it'll work out

yeah, idk if 2" of inseam difference would bump you down to a L, but i doubt it. did you talk to sean before you bought it? i could have gone with a large if i wanted to run a longer stem, but that was outta the question with this frame. did you receive your frame yet? if not, then call and switch the order.
    -VeloRyan-

I gotcha, I wouldn't be too worried about it. You'll fall in love with this frame like so many have already. Every time I ride it it's hard to believe it's a 29er. I ride slow tech to fast tech, quuck ups n downs and it just handles everything within my ability with no problem. Can't wait to see it built up

mtbr member
    Definitely excited, by almost all accounts it sounds like a fun bike.

I gotcha, I wouldn't be too worried about it. You'll fall in love with this frame like so many have already. Every time I ride it it's hard to believe it's a 29er. I ride slow tech to fast tech, quuck ups n downs and it just handles everything within my ability with no problem. Can't wait to see it built up
    -VeloRyan-

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Okay guys, I'm officially a part of the Nimble 9 cult following. Attached is a picture of my size small 2013 Nimble 9 frame in the forest green color. Love it. I was really debating between the Kona Honzo and the N9, but ended up going with the N9 at a decent price. I'm still at a lost as for which type of fork I'm going to use. I currently have a Fox 32 120mm CTD fork, but after reading all the reviews and builds in this thread, am tempted to go with a 140mm fork. If I do go with a 140mm fork, what I had in mind is either a Revelation RLT 140mm or Fox 34 140mm CTD. Actually, does anyone here use a 130mm fork for the N9?

Thoughts?Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-nimble9.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iLike29er View Post
    Okay guys, I'm officially a part of the Nimble 9 cult following. Attached is a picture of my size small 2013 Nimble 9 frame in the forest green color. Love it. I was really debating between the Kona Honzo and the N9, but ended up going with the N9 at a decent price. I'm still at a lost as for which type of fork I'm going to use. I currently have a Fox 32 120mm CTD fork, but after reading all the reviews and builds in this thread, am tempted to go with a 140mm fork. If I do go with a 140mm fork, what I had in mind is either a Revelation RLT 140mm or Fox 34 140mm CTD. Actually, does anyone here use a 130mm fork for the N9?

Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nimble9.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1016144
    I built mine with a Fox 34 Talas 140 and just recently swapped it out for a revelation 120. I didn't like the seat/peddle position with the slacker fork. I find myself much faster with the 120 fork. I am curious about trying a 130 fork, I may convert the new fork over to try it out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

i like a 120 on it over a 140 and never tried a 130. i too disliked the 140 for reasons thx138 stated. forest green would have been my 1st choice if chrome was not an option

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloRyan View Post
    Kdb71-

I just bought a large N9 and you and I have almost the same measurements it seems, just wondering your thoughts on the fit for yours. If I had the option I probably would have done the XL but the large will definitely work too.

Thanks in advance.
    Hey Ryan.
    Yeah, I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam and I am totally happy with the large. I could have gone with an XL, but I pretty much always size down if reasonable. I swapped stems and spacers around a bit and finally settled at 70mm stem and 40mm of spacers. Works great for me, but there is personal preference involved for sure. I have thrown a 50mm stem on it for a shorter friend to ride and that did not work for me. Sounds like you are OK with a slightly longer stem so you should really dig it. Such a great bike...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info on the fit...this is good news!
    -VeloRyan-

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Does anyone have a singlespeed dropout(to fit a 2013/gen 2) they would like to sell? Thanks.

mtbr member
    As far as I know, there never was a singlespeed-specific dropout. All the singlespeed builds still have a derailleur hanger dangling down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iLike29er View Post

Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nimble9.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1016144
    Well, that was quick. For sale is my 2013 size small Canfield Nimble 9 frame. Sad times, I know, but I bought a Hammerhead Thumper frame when they were unloading them and am actively using that. I can include the Fox 34 120mm fork if you want. Willing to negotiate on frame. Check mtbr listings.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    FYI
    Selling my 2016 Large Nimble 9 Green Frame
    See the classified section under 29er Hardtail

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940