Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Doesn't look like an XL N9 is happening (although there was some talk about it), only S, M, and L 2012 frames are available for preorder.

Nimble 9 | Canfield Brothers Bikes

mtbr member
    Are the specs the same between the 2011-12 models?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

rm -fr *
    "Doesn't look like an XL N9 is happening (although there was some talk about it), only S, M, and L 2012 frames are available for preorder."

I don't think the Canfield website is updated with the latest info. I ordered an XL N9 about a month ago and my contact was Sean Gollub (sean at canfieldbrothers dot com)

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Are the specs the same between the 2011-12 models?
    Yes, from what I was told. Only difference is 3 bottle mounts instead of just 1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    here is my Nimble 9 build. Built to take with me in our camper van this year, so doubles as a kid carrier as well as my trail bike on our camper holidays.
    Its a bit clutterd up front with Lock outs and shifters, tempted to run 1x10 in future. I've also got an x-fusion dropper seat to fit which will add even more clutter to the bars...
    Still to take her out for a ride but hope to this weekend.
    The Ardent 2.4's were a tight fit, had to move the drop outs back about 2/3rds down the slots to get about 5mm clearance to front mech.
    Only other change (before I've ridden) I really think needs making is getting some flat bars.. the front feels way to high.

empty beer member
    Simon, is that a small N9?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yes it is wreckless...looks like a jump bike doesn't it !

empty beer member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonm View Post
    yes it is wreckless...looks like a jump bike doesn't it !
    It looks good. I'm patiently waiting for my purple medium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Some pretty smart builds shown here, can't wait for my Nimble to arrive in the UK, going to build with fox qr 15 set at 120mm
    Stans wheels set (arch)
    SRAM 10speed (1x10)
    Lynskey Ti post
    Salsa moto Ti stem (80mm)
    Mrp chain device (top)
    Noblly nics (tubeless)
    Salsa whammy bars
    White industries crank with 122bb, although not so sure now reading some of the posts above?

Should be a very versatile bike and a better all rounder that my singular swift.

Canfield Brothers

XL Nimble 9

Here's the new geo sheet with the XL Nimble 9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-nimble-9-all-geo.jpg  

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeShopMonkey View Post
    sure it is, proof,

most bikes with 70 degrees or slacker are:

downhill bikes
    chopper bikes
    beach cruisers
    and a select few of new short chainstay 29ers.

now, your gonna tell me those bikes are known for quick steering?

argue all you want, but when "you" are wrong, your just wrong.
    I have to say I agree with BikeShopMonkey on some level. I have a Trek EX8 with a slack HTA and I hate it in the tight twisty stuff. It feels like it wants to fold and fall in on itself when turning sharply because the wheel is so far out in front of me (due in part to the slack HTA and in part to the long XC race style ETT). I now ride a Pivot Mach 429 and it has made a world of difference. The Pivot has a shorter wheelbase, shorter ETT, and a steeper HTA (70.9). Now that being said I think that if you ran a 80mm fork (70mm HTA) with a 90mm or 100mm stem the Nimble9 would be perfect in the tight twisty single track (almost comparable to the 429). I love short wheelbase 29ers they carve like no other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Your argument definitely has merit and brings in the pros/cons of changes to the head angle. I wouldn't debate that a steeper head angle has some advantages. It's the whole "there's no point in a bike with short chainstays and slackish head angle" argument that holds no water.

Personally I couldn't get much riding on my Nimble before it got too icy to ride but I felt like at my weight (200) and the large frame, the front triangle was too flexy to really ride with the fork at its max travel. It was that combined with the floppiness you describe that made it a little unsettling for me. So you are not alone, my fork is now at 95 mm travel and 500 mm a-c (69* HA) and it feels pretty sweet. I also had to tweak the stem a lot to get it to feel right. Bottom line, you change frame geometry and you can expect to tweak a lot of other things before it feels better than what you had before. Doesn't mean a design is "wrong."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It would be nice to see some of the design features in the Kona Honzo incorporated into the Nimble9 like a 44mm HT and bends in the chain-stay for more crank/heel clearance. The Kona Honzo is looking more attractive at the moment other than the fact it is hard to get the Kona frame only. I have a feeling that my size 14 shoes would hit the chain-stays a lot? The only other thing that bothers me about the Kona is that it is designed for a short stem (60-80mm) because the ETT is so long. This means even more of your weight will be taken off the front end than with the Nimble9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    It would be nice to see some of the design features in the Kona Honzo incorporated into the Nimble9 like a 44mm HT and bends in the chain-stay for more crank/heel clearance. The Kona Honzo is looking more attractive at the moment other than the fact it is hard to get the Kona frame only. I have a feeling that my size 14 shoes would hit the chain-stays a lot? The only other thing that bothers me about the Kona is that it is designed for a short stem (60-80mm) because the ETT is so long. This means even more of your weight will be taken off the front end than with the Nimble9.
    I agree with the 44mm HT. For some that's a deal breaker. I know it was for me.

And seeing the XL N9 geo, it's pretty similar to the 20" Honzo frame, both have a 25" ETT, reach is shorter on the N9 by only .1" but overall wheelbase is shorter by over an inch as well.

Edit:
    But it looks like the geo for the N9 provided is based on a 80mm fork, so the reach will be less with a 120mm fork which the Honzo geo is listed with, and ETT will be longer and so will wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    are these measurements static or sagged?

errr...
    Anyone have a pic of the 2012 Bone White, Orange colors ? We've seen the Lime and Purple.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chase1963 View Post
    Anyone have a pic of the 2012 Bone White, Orange colors ? We've seen the Lime and Purple.
    Wasn't there an orange in a pinkbike album, linked earlier in the thread?

stoked about the XL geo, I'm gonna run some numbers to compare it to my current bikes' setups, but it looks good for me.

As far as head angle, I went from a "slack" Gary Fisher G2 frame (69.6 + more offset) to a 72 bike and I've been over the bars more in 3 months than in the last 3 years. I'm thinking about trying the G2 offset fork @ 100mm on this frame. Anyone done that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chase1963 View Post
    They should be in on Monday.
    I can't wait for the White, I think that will be my next rig for the summer.

empty beer member
    Quote Originally Posted by blawson View Post
    Wasn't there an orange in a pinkbike album, linked earlier in the thread?

stoked about the XL geo, I'm gonna run some numbers to compare it to my current bikes' setups, but it looks good for me.

As far as head angle, I went from a "slack" Gary Fisher G2 frame (69.6 + more offset) to a 72 bike and I've been over the bars more in 3 months than in the last 3 years. I'm thinking about trying the G2 offset fork @ 100mm on this frame. Anyone done that?
    I remember someone posting that they are using a g2 fox a few pages back.

I also have a g2 fox 100mm that's going on mine.

Seems like it should be here in a week or so

Thanks for the update cSquared

mtbr member

Crankset Conundrum

I'm a little uncertain about what to do for cranks on this frame. I have a set of White Industries Eno 175mm, and a some Middleburn RS7 170mms. Not really sure which I should run. Saw a few posts about clearance issues and the White Industries. So I am a little hesitant to try them. As for the Middleburn, I have not run 170s on a singlespeed before. I've heard a lot of people claim they like them better than a long crank, so I might give them a try.

Still haven't ordered it yet, gonna do that in the next few weeks. I do realize I can just experiment when the frame arrives, but my mind won't rest until I get some more feedback on this issue. Hopefully someone can answer this question.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Placed my pre-order today, took a step out of my comfort zone and went with the purple. Super stoked that I'll be able to swap most of my parts from my Sir9 onto the N9. Can't wait.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by blawson View Post

I'm using a G2 Fox at 100mm, and I really love the way this bike handles.
    To be fair, it's the only suspension fork I've ridden on this frame, but I like the geometry better than with the Salsa rigid I used for a bit.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    I'm a little uncertain about what to do for cranks on this frame. I have a set of White Industries Eno 175mm, and a some Middleburn RS7 170mms. Not really sure which I should run. Saw a few posts about clearance issues and the White Industries. So I am a little hesitant to try them. As for the Middleburn, I have not run 170s on a singlespeed before. I've heard a lot of people claim they like them better than a long crank, so I might give them a try.

Still haven't ordered it yet, gonna do that in the next few weeks. I do realize I can just experiment when the frame arrives, but my mind won't rest until I get some more feedback on this issue. Hopefully someone can answer this question.

Thanks!
    I had a WI 170mm in mine when I first built it. I love the crank, but with the 122mm BB it needed to clear the chainstays I'd get enough flex to still rub the stay a bit under full torque.
    As to crankarm length, I'm now using a 175mm XT set, and don't think it's any discernible advantage over the 170s I've used for the last 10 years.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Gigantic Hawk
    sslos- Do you notice if you rock strike more with the 175's over the 170's?

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast