Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 2000
    AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    I thought these were fine for a 2X10. So is everybody running them as single speeds or 1X10's?
    I am running 1x10 now, but my nimble was originally set up as a 2x10 with sram XO. I don't recall any issues with this setup. If you search this thread you can probably find pics of my original build.

mtbr member
    May 2009

How Big

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I am running 1x10 now, but my nimble was originally set up as a 2x10 with sram XO. I don't recall any issues with this setup. If you search this thread you can probably find pics of my original build.
    I looked up your later posts. It seems like you must of had a 2011 Nimble. What size was your bigger ring on the XO crank. I read some other posts which claimed they were running 39/26 combos. The biggest I've heard for sure was a 36 t which barely cleared. Was it a year issue? Wonder if there were changes to the chainstay area between 2011 and 2012?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I dont think their was any change in the chainstays between 2011 and 2012. I have no idea how anyone was running a 26/39 combo. I had a 22/33 combo on XO cranks and thats about all the clearance their was period. Really, I dont think you need more top end. I have now gone to a 1x10 to get more of a workout. Either way the frame is great. Post up any more questions.

AOK
    mtbr member
    I looked up your later posts. It seems like you must of had a 2011 Nimble. What size was your bigger ring on the XO crank. I read some other posts which claimed they were running 39/26 combos. The biggest I've heard for sure was a 36 t which barely cleared. Was it a year issue? Wonder if there were changes to the chainstay area between 2011 and 2012?
    I have a 2011 Nimble and I was running a 39/26 combo on it when it was 2x10.

I don't think there was any difference between the 2011 and 2012 models other than colors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Perhaps that is possible with a 3x spider with granny gear removed. Can anyone confirm if this moves the chainrings outward compared to a normal 2x setup?

Another solution would be to user a smaller geared cassette. Canfield offers those cassettes so that the same ratio can be achieved but with less teeth front and back. Then it wouldn't be necessary to run as large of chain rings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Perhaps that is possible with a 3x spider with granny gear removed. Can anyone confirm if this moves the chainrings outward compared to a normal 2x setup?

Another solution would be to user a smaller geared cassette. Canfield offers those cassettes so that the same ratio can be achieved but with less teeth front and back. Then it wouldn't be necessary to run as large of chain rings.
    I have a yelling screamy with triple slx. These bikes are supposed to be pretty identical right? Clearances are super tight but works flawlessly

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    I have a yelling screamy with triple slx. These bikes are supposed to be pretty identical right? Clearances are super tight but works flawlessly

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    They have similar geometry but this doesn't translate into the clearance being the same.

Note that the tubing is a different diameter due to being steel or aluminum. With bicycles, typically aluminum uses more material and a larger diameter. Also, the forged (non-tubular) bit that connects the bottom bracket to the drive side chainstay is different between the two bikes. This piece isn't a tube because it needs to be thinner to allow for both chainring and tire clearance. Then the chainstays differ somewhat to account for extra width needed for the nimble's sliding dropouts.

At first they look identical. But on further inspection you can see that while the same type of frame components are used, they are slightly different.

Here is yeli:

Here is the nimble:
    Last edited by dfiler; 01-22-2013 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a nice 2X9 set-up (40tX24t rings with a 12-36 cassette) that I was hoping to transfer over from my bandersnatch. It covered a wide range of conditions from step climbs to wide open single track. Oh well, if I can get a 36tX22 I'll be happy. A 34t ring definitely clears, and I have a 36t on order. Probably go back to a standard 11-34 cassette for a little more high end gearing.

hispanic mechanic

Dammit...

I just got over a bout of upgrade-itis, and the Brothers Canfield have to start showing this.
    Is my 1 1/2 year old Nimble 9 any less functional? Would this nifty new shaped top tube and 44 mm head tube make my rides any more fun or make me race any faster?
    No, no, and of course not you idiot.
    But I still really want one.

Los
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-nimble9v2.0.jpg  

Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know right? Damn you Chris and Lance. Now I need a new nimble.

The stand-over height looks better and the larger headtube provides more fork options.

I'm curious if heel strike on the rear triangle has been addressed.

The non-round top tube is fascinating. That seems pretty rare for a steel frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wow.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Ummm. Thats hot. I like the stiffness and lighter weight of my yelli but I may just get one to see for myself if "steel is real".

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've been thinking I would like the XL more than the L. It didn't exist when I got my frame. This might just be the excuse I need... better standover and (maybe?) stiffer front triangle would be icing on top. And I will be thrilled if version 2 gets the blizzard blue color back.

mtbr member
    Any more pics of the new frame??

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I'm curious if heel strike on the rear triangle has been addressed.
    Could just be the camera angle, but the seat stay yoke looks a lot wider than the v1 Nimble in that pic. Maybe they have some serious s-bendage going in the stays to prevent heel strike.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Could just be the camera angle, but the seat stay yoke looks a lot wider than the v1 Nimble in that pic. Maybe they have some serious s-bendage going in the stays to prevent heel strike.
    I think it's the camera angle. v1 has good clearance, so the only reason I could see going wider would be...29+? While that would be cool, I'm not sure if Canfield had Knard specs before designing this frame.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Sliders Question

This is my first frame with the sliding dropouts. How slippage resistant are they? I'm setting them up about 1/3 of the way back to get enough clearance for my front derailleur, do I need to keep the tensioners in while riding, or are these just for initial alignment?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bottom dweller
    Apr 2007

No Slippage here

This is my first frame with the sliding dropouts. How slippage resistant are they? I'm setting them up about 1/3 of the way back to get enough clearance for my front derailleur, do I need to keep the tensioners in while riding, or are these just for initial alignment?
    thanks
    Been Running mine as a single speed for over a year and have not had any slippage issues.

I hammer pretty hard on climbs and it does not move. I think you should not have a problem.

Best of luck!
    "What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" ~Thoreau

bottom dweller
    Apr 2007
    Sorry I missed your second question.
    "do I need to keep the tensioners in while riding, or are these just for initial alignment?"

I leave the tensioners in. I think that's how they're meant to be used.

Hope this helps,
    "What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" ~Thoreau

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by unezridr View Post
    Sorry I missed your second question.
    "do I need to keep the tensioners in while riding, or are these just for initial alignment?"

I leave the tensioners in. I think that's how they're meant to be used.

Hope this helps,
    Perfect, thanks. They thread in very smooth/easily. Do they ever loosen up, maybe a drop of loctite on there?

transmitter~receiver
    Perfect, thanks. They thread in very smooth/easily. Do they ever loosen up, maybe a drop of loctite on there?
    it should have a jam nut on there that you can snug up to prevent movement. i'd opt for that over locktite, especially with the tiny allen head in the adjuster.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

hispanic mechanic
    thanks
    Like unezridr, I run one speed. The grip washers on the sliders hold pretty well, but I'd keep the tensioners in there.
    And as meltingfeather said, there's a nylok nut that you'll want to keep on there.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

hispanic mechanic
    Heads-up from Canfield- look for more info about the 2013 Nimble 9 and Yelli Screamy next week!

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    Question for the size (s) frame riders. I'm contemplating the switch from SS & rigid over to 1x10 with either 100/120mm fork.

- How tall are you?
    - Do you think the 120mm fork will raise the frontend too much?
    - Which 120mm fork are you running?

Most current photo of current seat/bar height. ****ty cell pic, sorry. Stem is sitting on a 5mm spacer.

I'm looking at picking up the Fox 32 Float CTD 15QR @ 120mm (2013).

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thanks

Mine never slipped, but I did upgrade the bolts and washers.

Used these for bolts (Grade 8 socket cap):
    Name:  804-507-007.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  109.5 KB

hispanic mechanic

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    Question for the size (s) frame riders. I'm contemplating the switch from SS & rigid over to 1x10 with either 100/120mm fork.

- How tall are you?
    - Do you think the 120mm fork will raise the frontend too much?
    - Which 120mm fork are you running?

Most current photo of current seat/bar height. ****ty cell pic, sorry. Stem is sitting on a 5mm spacer.

I'm looking at picking up the Fox 32 Float CTD 15QR @ 120mm (2013).]
    Sorry, riding a medium, not a small. But I really don't feel going to a Manitou 120mm adversely affected my handling or fit in the bike. Granted, I had transitioned from an El Mariachi fork to a 485mm a-c Soul Cycles fork already, so it wasn't too big of a change in sagged geometry.
    I'm 5'10" ish, and might be going to a large 2013 frame. I race endurance events (100 milers mostly,) and want to get a bit longer top tube.
    Hope this helps,

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    How do you like the Manitou fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!

Tower pro is awesome as long as you havr the right spring in it for your weight

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Tower pro is awesome as long as you havr the right spring in it for your weight

Yup. Very happy with my Tower. Stiff (15mm QR) and smooth, more than adjustable for XC, IMO. The Hex-Lock works really well, and I feel like this fork has better quality suspension travel than my '10 Fox did.
    For the money, I don't think it can be beat.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    Its half the cost of the Fox that's for sure. I'll have to give this some more thought. I'm a lightweight at 148lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!

Yep most that ride it love it. Its highly tuneable if you start tinkering with the shim stacks in the damper. There is a thread on that somewhere

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Found this on EBay, not my size sadly. But figured someone could give it a good home.

Canfield Nimble 9 29er Medium Frame 2012 Free Shipping This Week Only | eBay

mtbr member
    Well fork is ordered and will hopefully be here tomorrow, along with my 1x10 drive train!

Ugh, I just realized I'm going to need a new brake line for the front end. Oops will have to retail that...

mtbr member
    You guys were spot on with the Tower Pro. I gave it a shake down ride in the street clipping curbs and what not, absolutely buttah!

I've still got some trimming of the derailer cable/housing to finish up but here it is..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-dsc_3258_lg.jpg  

hispanic mechanic
    Looks good man! Still pretty impressed with this fork, price notwithstanding.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

Plan #123-D
    I've been following this thread for awhile.....sadly I'm not a N9 owner, yet....

So, with all this excitement over the new redesign, if anyone wants to dump their size small frame so they can order a new one, PM me. I'd love to potentially take it off your hands.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Current setup after many different changes. I really REALLY like it how its set up. I have a Fox 110mm squishy fork, but I doubt that will get much use. I'll have a weight at some point, but its durable and fun, so whatever.

Medium 1st Gen N9
    Scott Quiring 490mm A-C rigid
    Stans Crest SS wheelset; Ardent 2.4" front, RaRa SS 2.25" rear; Halo Hex skewers; PMW tensioners
    XTR M960 Cranks, HBC 32 ring, Endless 20t cog, KMC 410HD chain
    Magura Martas
    Eriksen setback seatpost
    Syntace Vector Carbon bar

mtbr member
    Nice looking build Rob1035.

I was looking for a longer AtoC steel unicrown fork and tried contacting Quiring several times but never heard back from them. I ended up going with the 490mm White Brothers Rock Solid. I do like what the longer AtoC rigid fork does for the bike.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Yup, I have a Niner carbon on there, and absolutely loved the fork, but it was simply too short for the N9. I actually found the Quiring here on MTBR, its built similar to the early Niner steel forks (490mm). Not as ultralight as the Niner CF or your CF, but the handling is superb...

Gigantic Hawk
    I have the carbon Niner fork as well, but if I was to switch it up for a longer fork, I'd hit up Walt. His forks look amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I'm curious, what's the point of running all these regular short rigid forks on a bike made for longer travel suspension forks? Doesn't it decrease the BB height?

mtbr member
    That's exactly why I switched from the Niner CF fork to something longer, I preferred the handling to be as close as possible to my 110mm suspension fork. The bike was still great with the Niner, but I like it better now, just personal preference.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I'm curious, what's the point of running all these regular short rigid forks on a bike made for longer travel suspension forks? Doesn't it decrease the BB height?
    The frame has a lot to offer even with a shorter fork. That said, a carbon fork with an a-c of 470 is similar to a weighted 80mm travel fork. I may try a longer fork in the future, but the bike rips as it is (even with its low bb height.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    The frame has a lot to offer even with a shorter fork. That said, a carbon fork with an a-c of 470 is similar to a weighted 80mm travel fork. I may try a longer fork in the future, but the bike rips as it is (even with its low bb height.)
    Wouldn't a Monkey offer the same with higher BB? I'm just curious.

mtbr member
    So when is everyone going to start unloading their gen 1 bikes to pick up the new model? I'm keeping my eye out for an XL if you're ready to upgrade

mtbr member
    Looking for a 1st gen Large in blue or white, as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Looking for a 1st gen Large in blue or white, as well.
    I find it interesting how many people keep posting, looking for the 1st generation Nimble 9. Maybe they should not have changed the design. I will never let mine go! It is just an unbelievable frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-049.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    I find it interesting how many people keep posting, looking for the 1st generation Nimble 9. Maybe they should not have changed the design. I will never let mine go! It is just an unbelievable frame.
    Honestly, I think the used pricing is what's appealing or at least is the hope. $750+ship isn't necessarily on the low end of pricing for steel frames but a $350-$500 used first gen is more palatable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Canfield Brothers Closeout Frames and Demos

They are selling a white XL demo right on their website. $449.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Wouldn't a Monkey offer the same with higher BB? I'm just curious.

Not to answer for dubthang, but the N9 has fairly different geo (shorter stays, slacker angles), and much better dropouts (IMHO).