• 07-26-2011
    flymybike
    This frame was designed around a 480-520 front fork. Keep in mind the rigid fork will ride high all the time compared to a suspension fork. A 500 is going to feel alot like a 120 fork (520 A to C).
  • 07-26-2011
    nitrousjunky
    I would think 470-485 would be the better range for a rigid fork with this frame.
  • 07-26-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    Precisely why I'm patiently waiting for my matching Kermit Green carbon fork ;)
  • 07-26-2011
    going29AZ
    Dubthang, would you mind commenting on your physical size (height & inseam). I'm riding a medium Canzo & a small Jabberwockey. Both have a near 23"TT which is what the medium Nimble specs out.
    Thanks!
  • 07-26-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by going29AZ View Post
    Dubthang, would you mind commenting on your physical size (height & inseam). I'm riding a medium Canzo & a small Jabberwockey. Both have a near 23"TT which is what the medium Nimble specs out.
    Thanks!

    I'll give my details for those might find it helpful.

    Height 5'6"
    Inseam 30"
    Frame Size: Small
  • 07-26-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by going29AZ View Post
    Thanks Milk, small frame I assume?

    Doh.. Yep
  • 07-26-2011
    going29AZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    I'll give my details for those might find it helpful.

    Height 5'6"
    Inseam 30"

    Thanks Milk, small frame I assume?
  • 07-26-2011
    MyMilkExpired
  • 07-26-2011
    dubthang
    My personal specs...
    5' 8.5" tall
    ~30" inseam
    145 #

    My current ride is a medium '09 GT Peace 9r. The medium N9 is about an inch shorter for ett. The seat tube of the N9 is longer on paper, but looks smaller than the 17" Peace. It may be due to a lower bb, but I'm not sure yet. I've put the wheels and my Niner fork on earlier for a quick mockup, and the whole bike looks smaller than my Peace (not a bad thing.)

    The Peace looks like a long xc bike, but the N9 looks like a flickable fun machine. Can't wait to get this thing on the dirt.
  • 07-26-2011
    going29AZ
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    My personal specs...
    5' 8.5" tall
    ~30" inseam
    145 #

    My current ride is a medium '09 GT Peace 9r. The medium N9 is about an inch shorter for ett. The seat tube of the N9 is longer on paper, but looks smaller than the 17" Peace. It may be due to a lower bb, but I'm not sure yet. I've put the wheels and my Niner fork on earlier for a quick mockup, and the whole bike looks smaller than my Peace (not a bad thing.)

    The Peace looks like a long xc bike, but the N9 looks like a flickable fun machine. Can't wait to get this thing on the dirt.

    :thumbsup:Thanks Dub, thats what I wanted to hear.

    Milk- Kermits a beauty!
  • 07-26-2011
    car_nut
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    ...

    I haven't seen any updates on how you guys are doing from a personal standpoint. I hope both of you are well along the road to recovery. Hopefully the Nimbler 9's arrival will cheer you guys up. I know it sounded like this frame was something you guys really wanted to launch.
  • 07-26-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    Couple moar! She's nearly done. Something to note, I wasn't able to slam the sliders all the way forward without excessive chain droop. Those going single speed and wanting to have it all the way in should probably go with a half-link chain.

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...0/DSC_0534.JPG

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C...0/DSC_0535.JPG
  • 07-26-2011
    Loonytik
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    Couple moar! She's nearly done. Something to note, I wasn't able to slam the sliders all the way forward without excessive chain droop. Those going single speed and wanting to have it all the way in should probably go with a half-link chain.

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7...0/DSC_0534.JPG

    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C...0/DSC_0535.JPG

    Wait, that's drool.
  • 07-26-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    My Build List:

    Hope Headset
    Crank Bros Cobalt 11 Bars
    Thompson X4 70mm Stem
    Elixer Code R F185
    Elixer Code R R185
    Shimano LX-M582 Cranks
    KMC X9SL Chain
    HomeBrew SS Cog (18T)
    HomeBrew SS Chainring (32t)
    Hope Pro II's / Stan 355's
    Kenda Slant 6 29x2.2
    Blackspire Sub 4 Pedals
    Yeti Hardcore Grips
    Thompson Elite 27.2x410
    Woodman Seat Clamp
  • 07-26-2011
    dubthang
    My 'official' weight for the medium is as follows... 2428 grams (5.34#.) That's in ss mode: dropouts in place with needed hardware, bottle bolts in, no tension bolts, no hose clips, no front der. pieces.
  • 07-27-2011
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    My Build List:

    Hope Headset
    Crank Bros Cobalt 11 Bars
    Thompson X4 70mm Stem
    Elixer Code R F185
    Elixer Code R R185
    Shimano LX-M582 Cranks
    KMC X9SL Chain
    HomeBrew SS Cog (18T)
    HomeBrew SS Chainring (32t)
    Hope Pro II's / Stan 355's
    Kenda Slant 6 29x2.2
    Blackspire Sub 4 Pedals
    Yeti Hardcore Grips
    Thompson Elite 27.2x410
    Woodman Seat Clamp

    Looks great, excited for you to get your fork so you can ride it!

    Los
  • 07-27-2011
    dubthang
    My lbs just called. My Niner carbon fork has been installed, the bb has been chased and faced, and the build will begin as soon as I pick it up.

    Build specs:
    -medium Nimble frame
    -Niner carbon fork
    -Sunline V2 headset
    -Stylo post and stem
    -IRD seat clamp
    -ISM saddle
    -E13/15G crank and bb
    -Rotor 34t ring
    -WI 19t freewheel
    -Bonty FR-3 team issue tires (tubeless)
    -Velocity Blunts with db spokes and alloy nips
    -Chub hubs
    -XT front skewer
    -Sram 8 speed chain
    -SPB handlebar
    -Formula Oro 24 brakes
    -Lizard Skins DSP bar wrap
    -bell
  • 07-27-2011
    rasse1977
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    ...the build will begin as soon as I pick it up...

    Wish I could say the same. I live in Denmark and my frame is still at least 3 weeks away:madman:

    Anyway, not a big deal and I'm sure the brothers will get the frames to Europe as soon as possible. It's nice to follow this thread while I wait...
  • 07-27-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    dubthang -- What color fork? I assume nude/black?
  • 07-27-2011
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    My lbs just called. My Niner carbon fork has been installed, the bb has been chased and faced, and the build will begin as soon as I pick it up.

    Hope they're not charging you much for that face & chase. If your frame was anything like mine, I seriously doubt the taps would take anything off at all, and I don't think the facing tool would pick up much, either.
    I've never, in over 20 years of working on my own stuff, and over 16 doing it for a living, seen a production frame that well prepped.
    Looking forward to your ride report!
    Congrats,

    Los
  • 07-27-2011
    dubthang
    MME - green frame with a nude fork

    sslos - I had the frame faced because my bb is very finicky about widths. I measured it, and it needed a hair taken off to work flawlessly. My buddy owns the lbs, and I bought my fork (and some other small bits) from them so the work was free. They also did a headset ream to make sure everything was perfect. They too said that the frame was damn near perfect for a production frame.
  • 07-27-2011
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    sslos - I had the frame faced because my bb is very finicky about widths. I measured it, and it needed a hair taken off to work flawlessly. My buddy owns the lbs, and I bought my fork (and some other small bits) from them so the work was free. They also did a headset ream to make sure everything was perfect. They too said that the frame was damn near perfect for a production frame.

    Yeah, some of these EBBs are picky.

    So, I did a ride in the foothills today. We're leaving to return to SA Friday morning, so I had to get another ride in, hopefully one last one tomorrow.
    Getting very comfortable letting this bike go on the downs. Boise's trails have a lot of rolling water bars, and when speeds go up, a little air is inevitable. I have never ridden a 29" bike that feels this good in the air. Predictable, stable, but still playful. I'm liking it more everytime I ride.

    Fat Tire Traverse. Seriously fun little trail:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/65620301@N07/5982798244/" title="IMAG0318 by 1speedlos, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/5982798244_5d070fae86.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="IMAG0318"></a>


    Los
  • 07-28-2011
    nitrousjunky
    sslos- so when do we get to see the other front setup?? ;)
  • 07-28-2011
    sslos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    sslos- so when do we get to see the other front setup?? ;)

    Gonna be a while, I spent more than I anticipated on this build. Fat front in gonna have to wait.

    Los
  • 07-28-2011
    pingleseed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Gonna be a while, I spent more than I anticipated on this build. Fat front in gonna have to wait.

    Los

    Speaking of front, what length is your Fox set to? 100 or 120? The reason I ask, I am considering the Marz fork on chainlove and it does not go down to 100 and I am wondering if that is what I might prefer in the long run. I am a more trialsy XC guy than a DHer..

    Also, do you run 180 cranks and might that be a reason for heel hits on the stays?