Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1851
  1. #26
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,248
    From Drop Box

    Outside the condo where we're staying in Sun Valley.
    Word of warning if anyone is planning on using a White Industries crank: I ended up needing a 122mm BB for it in order to clear the driveside chainstay. Probably the same for most other square taper cranks, too. A 115 worked fine on the Unit.
    As far as the geometry, it feels more playful, and definitely easier to pop the front up over stuff... even in flip-flops!

    Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noosa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Yup.
    King/Duster wheelset, King h.s., XT brakes (775 levers, 755 front caliper, 775 rear,) Brooks Swift, Thomson post, Niner bars, White Industries Eno crank.

    Los
    What size tires are you running and how much clearance do you have on the seat and chain stays?

  3. #28
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,067
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    From Drop Box

    Outside the condo where we're staying in Sun Valley.
    Word of warning if anyone is planning on using a White Industries crank: I ended up needing a 122mm BB for it in order to clear the driveside chainstay. Probably the same for most other square taper cranks, too. A 115 worked fine on the Unit.
    As far as the geometry, it feels more playful, and definitely easier to pop the front up over stuff... even in flip-flops!

    Los
    oh cheet los!
    that there's a top notch build and killer looking to boot!
    enjoy.
    we need to get together out a comfort or madrone one of these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wobbem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    560
    Is that a dent in the chain stay along from the yoke on the drive side?

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    344
    The 2 large frames were building up both come in at 5.5lbs. That "dent" on the drive side chainstay is a micro indent to clear the cranks. Have fun in Sun Valley Los ! Great place to have a maiden voyage! I love the nice, clean, simple build !

  6. #31
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,671
    Wow, that built up nice, classy, looking forward to a ride report...

  7. #32
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    j00 need to post some moar pictoors! You got that built up pretty quick!

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruylopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    71
    So I got my nimble 9 friday and had it built up that night it went together with no set backs. First thing I thought was I'm glad I went with the large because this is a small frame compared to my SIR 9. Actuall top tube length is only 23" and set tube length is 18.5". Compared to my niner frame its quite a bit different and will take a few ride to get use to the geometry.
    I took it out for a shakedown run through my local canyon after I got it built up. My first impression was it felt like a 26" wheeled bike, and it was super easy to lift the front wheel up and over rocks and logs. On a short but steep climb this thing really kicked ass, with the short stay and slack seat angle theres plenty of traction to conqure the steepest climbs out there. The only thing that i can gripe about is my heels rubed the chains stays, but I will get over it.
    I set mine up SS with a 32x18 and with that gear ratio my chainstays measure out to 16.750. I think if i play around with the chain length I can get it down to 16.5
    So here the build list

    Frame=large
    Fork=Niner
    Headset=King
    Wheels=Salsa grodos
    Hubs=Mango kings SS
    Cranks=SLX
    Brakes=Magure Marthas SL
    Stem=Thomson 100mmx0
    Seatpost=Thomson
    Seatpost collar=Salsa
    Bars= Salsa promoto 5 degree bend
    Grips=ESI
    Tires=front Schwable RR 2.4 Rear Maxxis Ignitor




  9. #34
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,067
    Quote Originally Posted by ruylopez View Post
    So I got my nimble 9 friday and had it built up that night it went together with no set backs. First thing I thought was I'm glad I went with the large because this is a small frame compared to my SIR 9. Actuall top tube length is only 23" and set tube length is 18.5". Compared to my niner frame its quite a bit different and will take a few ride to get use to the geometry.
    I took it out for a shakedown run through my local canyon after I got it built up. My first impression was it felt like a 26" wheeled bike, and it was super easy to lift the front wheel up and over rocks and logs. On a short but steep climb this thing really kicked ass, with the short stay and slack seat angle theres plenty of traction to conqure the steepest climbs out there. The only thing that i can gripe about is my heels rubed the chains stays, but I will get over it.
    I set mine up SS with a 32x18 and with that gear ratio my chainstays measure out to 16.750. I think if i play around with the chain length I can get it down to 16.5
    So here the build list

    Frame=large
    Fork=Niner
    Headset=King
    Wheels=Salsa grodos
    Hubs=Mango kings SS
    Cranks=SLX
    Brakes=Magure Marthas SL
    Stem=Thomson 100mmx0
    Seatpost=Thomson
    Seatpost collar=Salsa
    Bars= Salsa promoto 5 degree bend
    Grips=ESI
    Tires=front Schwable RR 2.4 Rear Maxxis Ignitor
    These frames are all getting damn fine lookin' builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  10. #35
    Chronic 1st-timer
    Reputation: lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,141

    Good thread, I'll be back.
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

  11. #36
    Dinner for wolves
    Reputation: buddhak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,549
    This is a long awaited thread. This frame would build into a great fixed gear with those stubby stays.
    Responds to gravity

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MyMilkExpired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    233
    Looks great! Where did you find the Niner fork?

    I won't be able to build my rig until the carbon forks come available.

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattbryant2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,132
    Both awesome bikes.

    Ruylopez - Will you keep the rigid fork on the bike? Is that the 80mm or 100mm corrected Niner fork? I was wondering about the possibility of one of these frames with a nice steel fork. Keep us updated on the ride.

  14. #39
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ruylopez View Post
    So I got my nimble 9 friday and had it built up that night it went together with no set backs. First thing I thought was I'm glad I went with the large because this is a small frame compared to my SIR 9. Actuall top tube length is only 23" and set tube length is 18.5". Compared to my niner frame its quite a bit different and will take a few ride to get use to the geometry.
    I took it out for a shakedown run through my local canyon after I got it built up. My first impression was it felt like a 26" wheeled bike, and it was super easy to lift the front wheel up and over rocks and logs. On a short but steep climb this thing really kicked ass, with the short stay and slack seat angle theres plenty of traction to conqure the steepest climbs out there. The only thing that i can gripe about is my heels rubed the chains stays, but I will get over it.
    I set mine up SS with a 32x18 and with that gear ratio my chainstays measure out to 16.750. I think if i play around with the chain length I can get it down to 16.5
    So here the build list

    Frame=large
    Fork=Niner
    Headset=King
    Wheels=Salsa grodos
    Hubs=Mango kings SS
    Cranks=SLX
    Brakes=Magure Marthas SL
    Stem=Thomson 100mmx0
    Seatpost=Thomson
    Seatpost collar=Salsa
    Bars= Salsa promoto 5 degree bend
    Grips=ESI
    Tires=front Schwable RR 2.4 Rear Maxxis Ignitor



    Me likey!

    Please post your resulting BB height (center of the crank spindle). That is the 470mm Niner steel fork, right?

    Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's 29er.
    Too late...

    Thanks,
    -F

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruylopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    71
    The niner fork came off my SIR9 its a awesome fork, I probally not going to switch it out for a squishy fork as i love the feel of a ridged bike. The AC on the fork is 470 and at that hight the bottom bracket hight is 11.5". Ya it seems pretty low but with the geo of the frame its really balanced. I did a 20 mile ride today and the bike rocks it rails the corners and screams down hill. Best of all this thing climbs better than any bike I've riden.

  16. #41
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,248
    OK, finally got my first ride in on the N9, Warm Springs to the Traverse to River Run, in Sun Valley. On the climb, I did a lot of turning around to ride back to my wife, so I'm not entirely sure how much I actually climbed.
    This is, as Ruy pointed out, a very different animal than I'm used to. The front came up almost automatically over roots, water bars, rocks, small children... Direction changes were easy peasy as well. Traction, even in loose, dusty conditions, while stqanding on the steeps? In spades. Honestly, based on how well this bike climbs, I was a bit worried about how I'd fare on the descents. Now, I recently broke my clavicle, and at 40 am not nearly as likely to open 'er up as I used to. The N9 felt like it wanted to go a lot faster that I was comfortable with. The descent was used at Nationals, and was really torn up, super loose and dusty. Ruts were lofted over; tight, blown out switchbacks were handled confidently; speed was, well, speedy.
    The only issues I had were heel contact with the chainstays, which I only had at the beginning of the ride, and the slightly more direct impact through the rear wheel. Not harsh like the Rig was, but definitely felt it more than the Unit. May have to go with a bigger rear tire...

    Just got back from another ride, and feel really comfortable on the bike now. Still occasionally hit the stays with my right heel, but got into a groove where it didn't,t feel harsh today. Downhills were not as dusty and loose, log overs were downright easy. I love the wasy this bike feels on the descents! The climb back to the car was a tough one, but much easier than on the Unit the last time, even with tired legs from yesterday. All in all, I'm very pleased with the Nimble 9, and am looking forward to many miles on it.

    Towards the beginning of the climb:
    IMAG0301
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  17. #42
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,248
    Higher up:
    IMAG0304
    At the top of one of the lifts:
    IMAG0305
    D and her Karate Monkey on the descent:
    IMAG0310
    Post ride reward:
    IMAG0311

    Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  18. #43
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ruylopez View Post
    The niner fork came off my SIR9 its a awesome fork, I probally not going to switch it out for a squishy fork as i love the feel of a ridged bike. The AC on the fork is 470 and at that hight the bottom bracket hight is 11.5". Ya it seems pretty low but with the geo of the frame its really balanced. I did a 20 mile ride today and the bike rocks it rails the corners and screams down hill. Best of all this thing climbs better than any bike I've riden.
    Thanks. I will have to ponder losing a 1/2" of BB height.
    I might could get used to it, though.

    -F

  19. #44
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,248

    Upset

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Thanks. I will have to ponder losing a 1/2" of BB height.
    I might could get used to it, though.

    -F
    I had a couple of pedal strikes yesterday, but none today.

    Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I had a couple of pedal strikes yesterday, but none today.

    Los
    Ahoy!
    A neat and tight looking frame. It looks trail worthy. I have a couple questions for you and others who have ridden this frame...

    What length of travel is your fork set to(would you like more or less)?
    How long are your cranks?
    Your heel was contacting the stays in the beginning but you seemed to have remedied this? How so?
    Good tyre clearance?
    Can you compare how it rides to a Vassago or GF or?
    The Kona looks cool too but I am interested in a new frame soon!!
    Cheers!

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruylopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Thanks. I will have to ponder losing a 1/2" of BB height.
    I might could get used to it, though.

    -F
    I,m sure if you used a long fork Its going to raise the BB hight by a lot, I personaly don't mind it. It gives te bike a low center of gravity, besides I hardly ever pedal stroke through any chunk, I will most of the time ratch-it pedal through that sort of stuff. I might through my buddies 140mm Reba on it for shits and giggles. I let you know what the hight is once I get it on.

  22. #47
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,217
    I was all set to wait for a raw finish yelli. But damn, I love the neon green and the classic look of a steel frame. Just sold my full squish 26er frame... money burning hole in pocket... can't... decide. Not sure if I can come to grips with a 2 pound increase over my current frame. Wondering if the steel ride will be worth it. Haven't had a steel frame since my '95 trek 930.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MyMilkExpired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    233
    Frame is out for delivery today, I'll weigh everything as I assemble it. I ordered a small electric lime.

    Still Don't have a fork though

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,225

    fork option

    I know it's been mentioned before. As a rigid fork for this bike, this would be a viable option... The Voodoo zombie 500 fork.

    http://www.voodoocycles.net/components.htm
    "Yep, Redding sucks alright, just way less than you think." - Fiskare

  25. #50
    Gigantic Hawk
    Reputation: dubthang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,222
    Picked up my green medium from UPS today. The frame is quite pretty. On my fish scale, the med. comes in at 5-5.1 pounds. I'll break out the gram scale later for a more accurate reading. The build will start tomorrow with pics to follow.

    With the drops all the way forward, I was able to fit my Blunt with a Bonty FR-3 without issue.

Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jones steel diamond frame or Canfield Nimble 9
    By Clink in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
  2. Canfield Nimble 9?
    By Professor in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 254
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 09:17 AM
  3. Canfield One - building thread
    By jetmotor in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM
  4. Canfield Bros Nimble Nine
    By Fly Rider in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
  5. Canfield Nimble 9 29'er, get your pedal on!
    By pajak in forum Canfield
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •