Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    Finished my build a few days ago and rode it for the first time today. My previous build was a custom steel rigid SS with ala Niner XC geo (71 deg HT, 73 deg ST, 445 mm CS) and after the first rides I can say that the Nimble feels different...in a good way

It's nimble for sure. On the first ride I cleared logs and did jumps I've never done before. This bike will make you look for the roughest parts of the trail and likes to be ridden hard...

I'm 5'11" / 165 lbs and the medium frame feels good with a 100 mm stem. CS are 426 mm with a 32/20 setup.

The bike is build up with the following parts:

- Manitou Tower Pro 100 mm
    - Hope Tech M4 brakes, 180/160
    - XTR cranks
    - CK hubs with Flow front and Arch rear and tubeless RoRo's
    - CK headset and BB
    - Salsa QR and seat post clamp
    - HbC ring and cog
    - Thomson stem
    - Sunline V-one carbon bar
    - Moots post
    - Fizik Gobi saddle

A few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-rsz_img_0086.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-rsz_img_0089.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-rsz_img_0092.jpg  

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    first shakedown cruise @ ft ord, site of the sleaze otter classic. fork's a little short but still handles great. i'll add more comments later........
    Purple for my girl, please...

mtbr member
    I am 6'2", 34" inseam, 210 geared up. I have been following this thread closely. Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as slocaus. I currently have a rigid Karate Monkey. With a tiny tire and the wheel pushed all the way forward in the dropouts, the bike had snap front end lift. The slightest pedal kick would lift the front end quickly but never throw me. Climbing on the bike was easy and there were very few situations when the front would wander but that was the shortest I would have ever wanted the chainstays. The bike was really fun in the twisties and the rear tire would stick like glue on climbs.

I now run the gearing at 32x18 with a half link. This puts the chainstays at 17 1/2" which is stable but not at nimble as the wheel slammed forward. With the Nimble 9 chainstays between 16.25-16.9" on a large frame, I could imagine the bike ripping up twisty singletrack and downhills even better but also having some really bad climbing characteristics. A lot of folks on here claim that "it will just work out" but IMO, slocaus has a reason to be worried. I wouldn't want to drop $700 on a frame only to find out that I can't run the seat too high or the front will lift or that I need a 140mm stem to weight the front end enough to climb.

Background information: I had a FS XL 26" bike. It had an incredibly long top tube with short chainstays (you might recognize the geometry). On fireroads, the bike was fast, on technical single track it was a nightmare. I changed the 105mm stem for a 90mm stem to reduce the cockpit and make the bike more nimble. The result was that the new geometry felt better but I could not climb the slightest incline without the front end lifting and wandering. The bike became useless on singletrack and I sold it not long after that. I wouldn't want to purchase a N9 and have the same thing happen.

mtbr member
    Amazing builds here guys! I'll be picking up a N9 shortly and I'd like your opinion on sizing.

5'8"
    29" inseam
    long torso and arms, short legs.
    Somewhat ape-like

I've been on mediums for years and I'm leaning toward a medium N9. I'm reading short cockpit remarks and feel like the medium would be the best choice. What do current owners think? I generally like shorter stems as well FWIW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just built my Nimble 9 today. Im 5'11 and I went with a medium frame. I'll snap some pics and post soon. It came in at 22 lbs 9 oz with a Reba XX fork and set up as a single speed.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    I just built my Nimble 9 today. Im 5'11 and I went with a medium frame. I'll snap some pics and post soon. It came in at 22 lbs 9 oz with a Reba XX fork and set up as a single speed.
    Damn. I assume you have some light wheels.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTech View Post
    Amazing builds here guys! I'll be picking up a N9 shortly and I'd like your opinion on sizing.

5'8"
    29" inseam
    long torso and arms, short legs.
    Somewhat ape-like

I've been on mediums for years and I'm leaning toward a medium N9. I'm reading short cockpit remarks and feel like the medium would be the best choice. What do current owners think? I generally like shorter stems as well FWIW.
    Your dimensions are very similar to mine. I have a medium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The wheels are Stans "Off the Shelf " with Arch Rims and Renagade S-Work Tires.

The frame is borrowing my Noir 3.3 Cranks (singlespeed) and Eggbeater 11's until I get my HBC spirderless ring for the XO Crankset thats supposed to go on it.

The brakes are the New XTR XC race with Hope rotors.
    Last edited by Click Click Boom; 09-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Your dimensions are very similar to mine. I have a medium.
    Nice, thanks man!
    Last edited by GearTech; 09-25-2011 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The Canfield Brothers got this 29er thing right. The bike climbs and turns like nothing I have been on before. I have the bike set up with a 90mm stem, Reba XX 100mm G2 offset fork, flat bars and a no set back seat post. This bike carves the corners without that twitch feel that Niners have. The bike has its first 20 miles on it.

My only complaint..... Its a little heavy. If they only made the Nimble 9 in Ti!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'1" weigh about 220 geared up and ride my 9 as SS w/ 32-18. Ride a L. frame w/ a 90mm stem and a Salsa bend2 bar that has 23deg. of backsweep.
    What I don't understand is when riding a SS, how does the front end lift when climbing?
    Any/almos all real climbs I do, I have to be standing as well as what I have noticed from the many SS riders that ride around my local trails.

Bike feels great to me w/ my set up and I have never noticed front end lift/wandering on any climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And a 100mm fork

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by osty View Post
    I'm 6'1" weigh about 220 geared up and ride my 9 as SS w/ 32-18. Ride a L. frame w/ a 90mm stem and a Salsa bend2 bar that has 23deg. of backsweep.
    What I don't understand is when riding a SS, how does the front end lift when climbing?
    Any/almos all real climbs I do, I have to be standing as well as what I have noticed from the many SS riders that ride around my local trails.

Bike feels great to me w/ my set up and I have never noticed front end lift/wandering on any climbs.
    I don't think it's possible to get front end lift on SS climbs, unless you're leaning waaaayyy back, so I have to assume the only ones who are having any kind of problem are geared guys.
    Well, i guess if someone is running a really low gear, say a 32x21 or 22, they might be able to stay seated on steep enough of a climb to lift the front. Of course, that's purely conjecture...

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Apr 2007
    I've run 32x22 before and it's still a stand-only climbing gear. Maybe 30x28.

I got my first ride coming up tomorrow. I wanted to get my Reba at 100mm, but haven't had a chance to do it. I'll be running 80mm. I'm expected some pedal strikes.

hispanic mechanic
    Get your Reba to 100mm as soon as you can!
    The only regrets I've had with this bike is not changing my Fox to 100mm sooner. Handling improvement was more noticeable than avoiding the occasional pedal strike for me.

Los
    Jens Voight

Apr 2007
    80mm wasn't too bad. I need to take it up to 100mm, though. I'm also wondering how 120mm would feel. Either way, fun ride this morning.

hispanic mechanic
    Not that 80mm is bad, it' just that the bike felt even better at 100! I too have been thinking about 120mm... Bad, bad thoughts.

Los
    Jens Voight

Apr 2007
    Don't know about you guys, but this bike continues to impress. I've put on maybe 60 miles or so. It's the funnest bike I've owned to date. Only gripe is the pedal strikes/low BB, but that'll be partially cured after I set up the fork to 100mm.

Also, got 800mm bar put on there, which made the thing much more enjoyable. Highly suggested for SS'ers. (Kore Torsion bar @ Universal Cycles is $40).

I've also ordered a half link (Gusset Slink) and some 3/32 master links to shorten up the stays a bit. Parts should be here next week (can't believe none of the bike shops around here have these in stock... including BMX shops).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Agreed, I have 3 rides on mine, 2 techy, rocky short climbs, climbing over boulders and a couple of 3'+ drops. Other ride was a 10 mile CC with some good chunk and climbs. I converted today from SS (32x22) to 1 x 9 w/ a 34 tooth chainring. I'm doing a 24-25 mile CC ride tomorrow with some awesome long climbs and fast singletrack....pretty excited to see how she performs.

aka baycat
    Does anyone know the seat tube diameter? Wanted to try out Paul Components Chain Keeper and it comes in three sizes a 28.6, 31.8 and 35.0mm size.

mtbr member
    Edited: To avoid confusion.
    Last edited by MyMilkExpired; 10-04-2011 at 01:17 PM.

trail rat
    Seat post 27.2mm OD
    Seat clamp 29.8mm ID

^ from the website.

There is a post in a thread about Nimble 9 (my searches cannot find it ) from on of the Candield Bros about a chain keeper on the Nimble. Something about what they recommend and some that did not work.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Glad you had the time to ferret that out.

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    There is a post in a thread about Nimble 9 (my searches cannot find it ) from on of the Candield Bros about a chain keeper on the Nimble. Something about what they recommend and some that did not work.
    No dice...

From Canfield

"The Paul is not going to work- because our seat tube is in front of the BB"

So will stick with the 1.x direct mount, tried to keep it local.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You have also a chain keeper that is attached to the BB, maybe that works...

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 ... LastLast