Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gollub01 View Post
    2012 Nimble 9 frames will be here next month ! Get your orders in because these new colors won't last !

in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, United States - photo by gollub01 - Pinkbike.com
    Any changes for 2012 other than the colors?

Computer Geek
    Jan 2012
    Wow, those certainly look sweet! I must confess, I did not read through the whole thread, I just kind looked at the pics, how much did they run you?

mtbr member
    We have white, orange, lime and the purple this round. And the XL.
    Should be in the States- mid Feb.

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    Any pic's of the white and orange ? Metallic paint ? The purple looks great. Thanks.

WNC Native
    Do you have a geometry chart for the XL yet?? If not, can you tell us Reach, ETT, Wheelbase and standover?

Thanks
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm also interested in the XL geo. and orange, yay!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Do you have a geometry chart for the XL yet?? If not, can you tell us Reach, ETT, Wheelbase and standover?

Thanks
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Ahhhh I want the white! Oh wait I already got blue It's all good!

errr...
    I'd like to be able to use a Niner 15m RDO fork while were at it.

Apr 2007
    I'm going to be totally envious of those that pick up an orange frame. Especially if it glows in the dark.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Same here. My black size L N9 arrived Monday, and as much as I love the Johnny Cash look, I'll miss my Snuffleupagus Orange Jabber once I swap the parts over.

Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I'm going to be totally envious of those that pick up an orange frame. Especially if it glows in the dark.

Professional Crastinator
    Here are some numbers from my freshly assembled N9 with VooDoo Zombie 500 fork (don't ask, there aren't any left), ardent 2.4 up front, Ignitor 2.1 in back:

BB height = 11.75-11.875 (the Ignitor is somewhat spent, but it works great for indoors)
    Head Angle = 69.5

I have the sliders about 1/2 way back. I doubt I would want them farther forward based on how effortlessly it wheelies in my basement. Plus, the front drlr is sorta close to the tire. It navigates my tight and twisty basement even with 30" bars on it - although my doorframe did take a little abuse.

It's ride-able but still needs it's own seat post and saddle, stem (when I determine what length I think I need), and hoses trimmed.

Pix forthcoming once it's sorted out (although I think it's already gawjus).

Need to build some fresh wheels, too, which may be awhile. The front, which is consistently my problem area, is already an American Classic hub with a Velocity Blunt (not SL) rim. The rear is a slightly dinged, but still intact AC factory wheel (4 seasons!).
    I don't think I could do much better for the $$$.[/commercial]

-F

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hello,

any experiences with the Nimble 9 equipped with a rigid fork (if Yes - with which fork, please) , please ?

thanks a lot

Ralph

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Here are some numbers from my freshly assembled N9 with VooDoo Zombie 500 fork (don't ask, there aren't any left), ardent 2.4 up front, Ignitor 2.1 in back:

BB height = 11.75-11.875 (the Ignitor is somewhat spent, but it works great for indoors)
    Head Angle = 69.5

I have the sliders about 1/2 way back. I doubt I would want them farther forward based on how effortlessly it wheelies in my basement. Plus, the front drlr is sorta close to the tire. It navigates my tight and twisty basement even with 30" bars on it - although my doorframe did take a little abuse.

It's ride-able but still needs it's own seat post and saddle, stem (when I determine what length I think I need), and hoses trimmed.

Pix forthcoming once it's sorted out (although I think it's already gawjus).

Need to build some fresh wheels, too, which may be awhile. The front, which is consistently my problem area, is already an American Classic hub with a Velocity Blunt (not SL) rim. The rear is a slightly dinged, but still intact AC factory wheel (4 seasons!).
    I don't think I could do much better for the $$$.[/commercial]

-F
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezle Bug View Post
    Hello,

any experiences with the Nimble 9 equipped with a rigid fork (if Yes - with which fork, please) , please ?

thanks a lot

Ralph
    The post right above yours and many more. Don't be afraid to read the thread, or search it. You'll be surprised what you find, more than asking those who have posted to post the same information again.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    These bikes look really nice, similar geometry to my old Dillinger too. Hmmm....

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    These bikes look really nice, similar geometry to my old Dillinger too. Hmmm....
    I haven't ridden a Dilinger, but the Nimble is more of an AM-ish frame, whereas the Dillinger is an XC frame. I think you will notice a big difference between the two, specifically in the handling department.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I haven't ridden a Dilinger, but the Nimble is more of an AM-ish frame, whereas the Dillinger is an XC frame. I think you will notice a big difference between the two, specifically in the handling department.
    How does the Nimble climb?

mtbr member
    Sounds like the ideal 29r for round these parts, i may have to consider building one up, thanks p_nut

Apr 2007
    Climbs great. Puts down the power better, IMO, due to the short chain stays. The front is higher, so you do need to watch that a little closer, but not a big deal. On tech climbs, it's far better than my old bikes with 17"+ CS, as I can maneuver around stuff better. Lifting the front tire up and over is easier as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here's mine just built - UK via previous owner in Denmark (thanks Rasmus!).

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Here's mine just built - UK via previous owner in Denmark (thanks Rasmus!).
    Looks sweet, that's the color Nimble I was after until I snagged my Yelli. Let us know your thoughts on that front tire too!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezle Bug View Post
    Hello,

thanks a lot

Ralph
    Um... yes.

Yeah, the Zombie 500 is probably the longest rigid fork in use on these things (if you can find one). Anything shorter will give you lower BB, steeper HA, and generally quicker steering (less fork trail) - all things that I feel I've had enough of over the years.

I thought the front would be a little flip-floppy, but even in my basement where I'm going about 5 mph I can almost ride no-hands. Compared to my old MCR it already feels like it wants to play instead of race. Although I would not hesitate to race it. Maiden voyage on Wed. with a full report in the morning. I can't even wait!

-F

hispanic mechanic
    Just finished the El Paso Puzzler on my Nimble 9. Brutal, brutal course. 50 miles, but more suffering than I've ever experienced on a bike.
    7,000' of climbing, all of it rocky. I was even more impressed with the N9 than I was before. This is a brilliant bike!
    Sorry, pretty tired and beat up right now, apologies for the disjointed post.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Any changes for 2012 other than the colors?
    I heard rumors that there will be mounts for three bottle cages like the Yelli.

Signing up for an orange - size large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    I heard rumors that there will be mounts for three bottle cages like the Yelli.

Signing up for an orange - size large.
    That's 2 too many. Never really found the point of 3 mounts like on the Yelli. Pointless IMO.
    konahonzo

All That is Man
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    That's 2 too many. Never really found the point of 3 mounts like on the Yelli. Pointless IMO.
    Because some of us live in the desert and have this crazy thing called wilderness where there is no water.

I want me an orange one. Today. So I can stare at it for months in my office while it's in hiding from my wife.
    John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal View Post
    Because some of us live in the desert and have this crazy thing called wilderness where there is no water.

I want me an orange one. Today. So I can stare at it for months in my office while it's in hiding from my wife.
    Ever heard of a hydration pack? One can easily carry more water than in 3 water bottles. Plus with the smaller size frames, water bottle bosses interfere with dropping the seat for the descents.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not a great photo, but thanks to "edgerat" I've been riding this for a few weeks. Amazing ride!

Apr 2007
    Are those xtr cranks working for you? I thought I read they would be too narrow to clear the cs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Lesson learned on the first ride, hit the stays under power a few times, but not all the time. I then put in an additional spacer on the drive side and I've done some good miles and climbing with no issues so far. Chainline is still intact as well.

trail rat
    Ever heard of a hydration pack? One can easily carry more water than in 3 water bottles. Plus with the smaller size frames, water bottle bosses interfere with dropping the seat for the descents.
    Do you know how hot hydration packs are at 100 degree plus temperatures? And how they mess with your low back if you have back issues?

In places like this, three bottle mounts can be good.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rml_7 View Post
    Lesson learned on the first ride, hit the stays under power a few times, but not all the time. I then put in an additional spacer on the drive side and I've done some good miles and climbing with no issues so far. Chainline is still intact as well.
    I see. I think I'll stick to my XT's, but good to hear you can at least make xtr's work.

What day are we riding?
    I do endurance mountain bike races, many unsupported. The more, the merrier for me. There have been times where I have used all three bottle mounts on a bike plus carrying two bladders in my pack. So pointless from your perspective is awesome from mine as I was looking to get one, add mounts, sandblast, and re-powdercoat.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeShopMonkey View Post
    i've ridden quite a few of these now and have tried to like them, but the overly slack head angles and the heavy frame weight makes the bike a pig and way too slow.

it's like riding a big marshmallow. what is the point of making a nimble rearend and a dead slow front angle?
    are people that lame that they have to slow down the steering to the point of fighting the front end?

i feel like i am riding a chopper?
    So, it is not a bike for you. Bye bye.

mtbr member
    i've ridden quite a few of these now and have tried to like them, but the overly slack head angles and the heavy frame weight makes the bike a pig and way too slow.

it's like riding a big marshmallow. what is the point of making a nimble rearend and a dead slow front angle?
    are people that lame that they have to slow down the steering to the point of fighting the front end?

so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    So, it is not a bike for you. Bye bye.
    people gotta know that this frame is flawed.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Are you riding the same bike? Granted it's not a light frame but the short rear end/slacker ha works. I would have thought a steep ha and short stays would be exciting to say the least.

Apr 2007
    It's subjective. It doesn't wok for you. Ok. But that doesn't make the frame "flawed".

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Well, it's page 26 and you're the voice of a very small, possibly single person, minority.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    Do you know how hot hydration packs are at 100 degree plus temperatures? And how they mess with your low back if you have back issues?

In places like this, three bottle mounts can be good.

If I rode in scenery like that, I could live with 6 water mounts on my frame. So jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    I do endurance mountain bike races, many unsupported. The more, the merrier for me. There have been times where I have used all three bottle mounts on a bike plus carrying two bladders in my pack. So pointless from your perspective is awesome from mine as I was looking to get one, add mounts, sandblast, and re-powdercoat.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    pedal faster

Gigantic Hawk

What was your setup? Curious since many others don't feel this way. Mine is set up with a rigid fork, and while the front is higher than my last bike, it is def. not a chopper. I don't find the front end any slower, but rather I find it more controller/refined.

The short stays make the back of the bike stiffer too. What do you feel is 'marshmallowy' about the bike?
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rml_7 View Post
    I then put in an additional spacer on the drive side and I've done some good miles and climbing with no issues so far.
    how many spacers are there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    What was your setup? Curious since many others don't feel this way. Mine is set up with a rigid fork, and while the front is higher than my last bike, it is def. not a chopper. I don't find the front end any slower, but rather I find it more controller/refined.

The short stays make the back of the bike stiffer too. What do you feel is 'marshmallowy' about the bike?
    have now ridden ones with suspension correct 80mm, 100mm, 120mm rigid forks. also with front suspension 100mm, 120mm.

the front wheel feels way too far pushed out and makes for slow steering, like a damper is in place. might as well be riding my dh bike with 8" out front.

i remember others complaining about the same problem, so its not just me.

slack HA angles are good for long travel suspension bikes that need to address very steep or very rocky terrain. this bike being rigid or hardtail is not in that category.

Gigantic Hawk
    have now ridden ones with suspension correct 80mm, 100mm, 120mm rigid forks. also with front suspension 100mm, 120mm.

the front wheel feels way too far pushed out and makes for slow steering, like a damper is in place. might as well be riding my dh bike with 8" out front.

slack HA angles are good for long travel suspension bikes that need to address very steep or very rocky terrain. this bike being rigid or hardtail is not in that category.
    Interesting. I ride in the technical North East, and have found this frame to be great at navigating the rooty, rocky trails here. It's not 100% perfect. but it's pretty damn good when compared to steeper ha'd bikes. I once felt that a steep ha was needed around here (back in my 26'r days,) but have since changed my mind as I ride more challenging trails.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member

I haven't ridden a Nimble9 yet, but do ride a Yelli Screamy. By my experience with the YS, I am thoroughly looking forward to replacing my broken Sir9 with an overweight raked out rigid Nimble9.

Although I do know the Sir9's original purpose was not meant to be ridden at places like Black Rock, some of us do enjoy ridding rigid bikes over steep technical trails.

To each there own.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    some of us do enjoy ridding rigid bikes over steep technical trails.

To each there own.
    I know I do, and the Nimble is great for that.
    Gigantic Hawk
    gigantic-hawk.com

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the trail figure for a Nimble 9 with a 120mm fork up front on it?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

I honestly don't follow you. 70 degrees with an 80mm fork is not "slack". My yelli has 100mm on it (69 degrees) and the thing rips through tight rhythmic sections at my local trails. There's a few sections I'm thinking of that usually required braking on my previous bikes so I didn't overshoot turns. I'm going through those much faster on the yelli (at least it feels faster) without braking.

I understand you don't think the bikes work for you, but your blanket statements about the design being wrong is a bit much. Theres so many people from east coast to west coast, with many different forks, that are happy.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I honestly don't follow you. 70 degrees with an 80mm fork is not "slack". My yelli has 100mm on it (69 degrees) and the thing rips through tight rhythmic sections at my local trails. There's a few sections I'm thinking of that usually required braking on my previous bikes so I didn't overshoot turns. I'm going through those much faster on the yelli (at least it feels faster) without braking.

I understand you don't think the bikes work for you, but your blanket statements about the design being wrong is a bit much. Theres so many people from east coast to west coast, with many different forks, that are happy.

70 degrees is very slack. just cause you need to slow down your steering so your comfortable does not make it right.

most of the people on this 29er forum ride bikes with steeper head angles and prefer it. the small minority that need to dumb down their ride so they can ride are mostly here. no wonder there is soo much negativity about this.

doesn't make sense to create a frame with the possibility of nimble quick handling and then slow it down with a slack head angle. lets put a huge V8 in a car and then make the car weigh a million pounds so it negates all that horsepower........