553K views 2K replies 300 participants last post by  dubthang 
#1 ·
Mine's here!
Here's the first pics.

Los
From Drop Box

See less See more
#397 ·
I know I keep posting this in this and other threads, but I love my N9.
I just swapped my 170mm Ritchey WCS cranks to my wife's Karate Monkey, and put her 175mm XT M760s on the N9. Mostly did it to give her some appropriate length cranks, but wanted some stiffer cranks on my bike as I would still hit the DS chainstay when I'd really crank to pop the front wheel up.
Major, noticeable difference in stiffness! I opted to not ride our local rocky trail that has some steeps (Gov't Canyon,) because I felt a bit off, but will get a chance next weekend.
I did crank out some wheelies, and no contact- just a great handling bike!

Los

#399 ·
After much debate (which involved building and tearing down a small and a medium several times) I settled on the medium. I'm 5'5" but I felt cramped on the cockpit and had a 410mm seatpost exposed to the limit. Standover was great on the small and the bike was super easy to flick around.

IGUACA

Only have a handful of rides so far, but I'm really enjoying this setup. I'm amazed how easy this thing turns even with a 120mm fork. It just destroys twisty singletrack.

Only gripes so far is the standover on the med. frame (irrelevant while riding), and that the bike is harder to hop than my Waltworks. Probably due to a combination of the lower bb, having to overcome 120mm of travel and the higher weight. I'm sure I'll adjust.

#402 · (Edited)
Update:
I am happier with this bike every time I ride it.
I changed out my cranks twice now, and very pleased with the newest set up. The White Industries crank required a 122mm BB, which was really flexy- to the point of hitting the chainstay when I'd crank hard enough.
Next, I tried the Ritchey WCS cranks off of my Pugsley. Stiffer, but I had to space the ISIS BB over a bit to the drive side to clear the chainstay under hard efforts (again.)
Both of those were 170mm. I've been dialing in my wife's position on her bike, and noticed her XTs are 175mm, which are too long for her leg length, so I traded her.
Yesterday, I rode Government Canyon, a rocky, steep local trail. The increased stiffness was noticeable, and with the sustained, all-out effort climbs, I think I'm liking the gained leverage of the additional whopping 5mm of crank length.
I didn't notice an increase in pedal strikes, and had no problem staying on top of the cranks.
This was probably the most technically difficult climbing and descending I've done on the N9 to date. Not the steepest, and it IS Texas so the climbs and descents aren't super long, but it's tough on the single speed. I've punctured my rear tire (sliced the sidewall twice, punched through the tread once,) on the last three rides there...on the climbs!
I was thinking, as I was patching my AKA, that this bike felt like it was made for this kind of riding. Then I remembered thinking the same thing the first time I took it on our extended-rockgarden chunkfest, and on the fast, swoopy waterbar laden Boise trails, and the alpine Bogus trails...
Here's some pics from yesterday.

Los

#403 ·
I am on my 2nd set of cranks as well. The XTR 960's rubbed the stays when I was really pushing it up a hill. That was with two spacers on the drive side. it would clear when not flexing though. I went back to the XT crank I had on it originally and everything is back to normal with only one spacer. Definitely something to watch out for if you are building this and don't have a couple cranksets in the garage. I'm considering getting a Shimano Hone for this bike. Steel pedal inserts and spindle seem like exactly what this bike deserves. Plus my wife needs her XT back :rolleyes:

#404 ·
The XTR 960's rubbed the stays when I was really pushing it up a hill. That was with two spacers on the drive side. it would clear when not flexing though. I went back to the XT crank I had on it originally and everything is back to normal with only one spacer.
Good to know I'm not the only one with cranks rubbing the stays. I have the same problem you mention with my XTR 970's...

I have my cranks mounted with one spacer on the drive side (like always) and the distance between the crank arms and the stays are are not the same on each side. I have like 3,5 mm on the drive side and 6 mm on the non-drive side.

I've ordered some 0,7 mm spacers so I can get the cranks centered but from your experience the crank arm still hit the stays with 5 mm spacers installed...:madman:

I'm not a heavy rider, only around 165 lbs so the frame and cranks should be plenty stiff for my weight....a little annoying.

Other than that it's a great frame.

#408 ·
The XTR M970 cranks (all XTR cranks, actually,) are lower profile than the XTs, which explains the discrepancy. Although it was challenging for me to finally stop using square taper cranks due to the width of the stays, everything else about this bike makes it so worthwhile!
I would regularly hit the CS with the inside corner of the WI crank on the driveside while powering through to pull the front wheel up, even with 1cm of clearance. I have about 7mm with the XT, and Monday's ride required lots of wheelies up ledges, cranking hard to get up steep rock gardens, over big exposed roots and logs, you name it. No contact whatsoever.

Los

#413 ·
Yup, I is. No problems at all, I have XT cranks with a spacer on the drive side. The fork is at 120mm and I doubt I'll go lower. I might just to see how it is but I am really enjoying the ride. No pedal strikes yet, I ride my X-bike fixt and I have just gotten used to having the pedals in the right place at the right time. Best riding production frame I have ever owned.

#415 ·
Got out for a ride this morning. I am supposed to be packing up the house since we are preparing to move on Monday but I just couldn't help myself. The weather was perfect! Didn't get any action shots because I was riding solo but I did turn around to take a piss and then I saw my Nimble perched up on the top of a rock begging to roll it again. I think the Canfield Brothers may have gave these frames some "special" touches. I kept hearing the phrase MUST FIND MORE ROCK TO RIDE bouncing around in my head! Crazy! :p

Attachments

#416 ·
Sweet pics! I've been riding my N9 exclusively for the last 3 weeks...took my Vassago rigid SS out this morning for the first time. It felt weird! Only did 10 miles on a pretty mellow but fun trail and was constantly thinking about my Nimble! Sorry Jabber, you might sitting out more often.

#418 ·
Glad to see everyone is enjoying there Nimble 9's!

With the fit issues of the XTR cranks, they have a narrower chainline than what we designed too. The N9 needs a 50mm chainline, XTR is 47.5 . Most road cranks are narrower but they don't need tire clearance like MTB. So with a 50-51 chainline (like most all 3 ring mtb cranks) you'll have proper crank clearance and can still fit large volume tires.

Managing to fit large tires, have short chainstays and the option for a front derailler is a tall order. Something must give so alot of other companys just make it single ring only or skimp on tire clearance to achive the short chainstay. We wanted it all so fitting really tight chainline cranks was not on the list. (Sorry XTR fans ;) )

#419 ·
Meh...

Glad to see everyone is enjoying there Nimble 9's!

With the fit issues of the XTR cranks, they have a narrower chainline than what we designed too. The N9 needs a 50mm chainline, XTR is 47.5 . Most road cranks are narrower but they don't need tire clearance like MTB. So with a 50-51 chainline (like most all 3 ring mtb cranks) you'll have proper crank clearance and can still fit large volume tires.

Managing to fit large tires, have short chainstays and the option for a front derailler is a tall order. Something must give so alot of other companys just make it single ring only or skimp on tire clearance to achive the short chainstay. We wanted it all so fitting really tight chainline cranks was not on the list. (Sorry XTR fans ;) )
Not being able to run XTR cranks is definitely a worthwhile exchange for all the great things about these frames. Still loving the hell outta mine!

Los

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.