Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast
    transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by vemeno View Post
    why is that?
    Long legs on a smaller frame means seat jacked up.
    Short CS bike like the Nimble has already got the rear wheel tucked more up under you, so your center of gravity is further towards the rear axle.
    Make a design compromise like you have to to make the ultra-short CS work and you end up with a seat tube that is much slacker than the effective seat angle (angle between contact point and center of BB), which means that as you jack your seat up it goes even further back.
    The COG thing can be a problem for tall/leggy riders even on a bike without the ultra-short CS.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

hispanic mechanic
    Yeah, but imagine the wheelies!
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    An ETT of 24-24.5" is perfect, but that usually means a smaller frame, long post, high seat position, and my hips are farther back, so my CoG is high and back. The result, I struggle on steep climbs to keep the front end weighted and tracking; suspension squat makes this worse, so I think it is time for an HT. I climb fine on an SS, but am old enough and have enough health issues that I need gears for long 30+ mile 5000 foot climbing rides, so seated climbing is the issue here.
    I'm guessing that if you have issues keeping the front end weighted and tracking on a bike with more normal chainstays and seat tube, a shorter CS bike like the N9 will significantly exacerbate the problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Long legs on a smaller frame means seat jacked up.
    Short CS bike like the Nimble has already got the rear wheel tucked more up under you, so your center of gravity is further towards the rear axle.
    Make a design compromise like you have to to make the ultra-short CS work and you end up with a seat tube that is much slacker than the effective seat angle (angle between contact point and center of BB), which means that as you jack your seat up it goes even further back.
    The COG thing can be a problem for tall/leggy riders even on a bike without the ultra-short CS.
    thanks! that makes sense...I'm leggy myself and nimble 9 is high on my list, i've never considered this effective seat angle problem.. seems that search for ideal "do it all" frame might not be over

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    ^Short seat stays might not be the best for you then. Maybe test ride one or look towards the Salsa hardtail with longer stays.
    In the back of my mind, I wondered. I've ridden or am riding bikes with 17" to 18.5" stays, and some are better than others, but the problem remains to some extent. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Yeah, but imagine the wheelies!
    Lotta flippin' help you are! I have been trying to learn to ride 30 mile wheelies for 30 years with no luck, I must be a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I'm guessing that if you have issues keeping the front end weighted and tracking on a bike with more normal chainstays and seat tube, a shorter CS bike like the N9 will significantly exacerbate the problem.
    Yeah, as I said, in the back of my mind, I wondered about that. Just all the excitement and great reports of the N9 got me way too interested I guess. I am thinking now that a steeper seat angle and a longer front center is what I need. With my long arms, I can have 2 - 3" drop from saddle to bars and hit helps climbing, but then makes steep descents sphincter traumas. Wondering also if a longer ETT and really short stem to push out the front center. Anyway, I'll just drool over the lime green N9 shoots here. Thanks.

thanks! that makes sense...I'm leggy myself and nimble 9 is high on my list, i've never considered this effective seat angle problem.. seems that search for ideal "do it all" frame might not be over
    Yeah, I probably need a custom frame, but that is not going to happen in the foreseeable future if ever. Good luck.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Gigantic Hawk
    I'm not sure if the N9 is right for you long legged guys, but the cs length is adjustable. You could always run a zero offset, or a reversed offset seatpost to compensate for the seat tube angle as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My new Nimble 9. Just built her tonight. Heading to Warrior Creek in NC to break her in in the morning.

Build list:
    Medium frame
    Reba 15mm thru axle
    Industry Nine Enduro wheelset with Flow rims
    Hope Mono Mini brakes 183mm front/ 160mm rear
    XT crank set up singlespeed
    Thomson and Easton bits with Fleegle bars and Ergon grips

Pics:

Weight of frame, including hardware:

Seattube:

32 tooth ring clearance:

Rear setup:

Front setup:

Completed:

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Another sweet looking N9! Post a ride report when you can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post

Things to note so far.
    -If you ride with your heels in, you're gonna hit the stays. My heels are slightly in, and I only have issues when using a lot of body english to move the bike around.

Lots of comments about heal rub on these frames. Anyone know the measurement from the outside of one CS to the outside of the other where the heal rub is occurring?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had a little heel rub with a pair of older shoes with a wide heel area, but my other two pairs seem to not rub at all. I do notice how close the rear end of the frame feels to my feet while descending. I am already used to it after 5 rides so it is a non issue. I put some clear frame stickers over that part just in case, so the paint doesn't get rubbed off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-nimble-nine-014_opt.jpg  

Dinner for wolves
    @WRX-Rob

That is a fantastic Nimble, brother. Lemme borrow it.
    Responds to gravity

Apr 2007
    I just found out that Canfield's main headquarters is a hop/skip/jump from me. Would this bike compliment my current El Mariachi? Both will probably be kept SS, but may go 1x9/10 on the Canfield.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Got a few sick test rides on my nimble 9 and it's all that. First in Santa cruz on the local trails, tore it up. these pics are from oakridge, Oregon, the alpine trail. I think it's about a 13-15 mile downhill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315777573.273899.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315777648.440854.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315777753.877028.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315777831.593854.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315777902.957670.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315777977.876233.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315778050.159366.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315778122.020743.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315778202.773314.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315778274.335517.jpg  

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    Got a few sick test rides on my nimble 9 and it's all that. First in Santa cruz on the local trails, tore it up. these pics are from oakridge, Oregon, the alpine trail. I think it's about a 13-15 mile downhill.
    Great pics, nativeson... I want to add that ride you did to my "bucket list" of rides.. Oakridge, OR. You have a link to your GPS file of that ride? Looks wonderful!

mtbr member
    Dilemma... I've been letting the wife ride my rig the last few family sessions at the park as I cannot haul the trailer with it (Hitch mount doesn't fit on the sliders). Conversation started out last weekend about getting her a mtb bike and this weekend the conversation ended with I'll just keep yours and you can build another one!

So the dilemma begins, another Nimble or maybe a Yelli? Im not ashamed to say I spent 2,400 on the Nimble altogether, I just don't know how I feel about another 2-3k. You guys think I should go another round on the Nimble or maybe look at the Yelli? I wish the Nimble had some additional color choices. Not hot on the blue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    question for you guys running ~470mm rigid fork.. what would be the effective seat angle for someone with 36" inseam (saddle way up high )?

gringo-fied facsimiles

nimble?

Yes. Turns out to be a great ride. Climbs great. my .02 ? headtube is way too tall, hard to get "down over the bike". Looking into a diff headset with less stack. 27.02 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-2011-09-05_18-58-42_325.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-2011-09-05_19-00-10_958.jpg  

http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

transmitter~receiver
    question for you guys running ~470mm rigid fork.. what would be the effective seat angle for someone with 36" inseam (saddle way up high )?
    I get ~73.3

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator View Post
    Yes. Turns out to be a great ride. Climbs great. my .02 ? headtube is way too tall, hard to get "down over the bike". Looking into a diff headset with less stack. 27.02 lbs.
    Wouldn't it be easier to move the spacer you've got in there from under to over the stem? That is likely going to get you more (and cost you less) than any difference in stack you'd get from a new headset.
    The simple things...

Apr 2007
    ^^ Also a flat bar?

hispanic mechanic
    Not to gang up, but definitely go with the stem all the way down first, then try a flat bar. If neither of those get the front down enough, you could try flipping the stem to a negative rise position.
    Those will all get you better results, and less hassle, than changing headsets.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Gigantic Hawk
    Some pic from Fort Rock in Exeter, NH. Not the greatest shots since we were using an old digital camera, but better than nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fr1-009.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fr1-016.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fr1-017.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fr1-018.jpg  

Gigantic Hawk
    Here's one of the front, and one of the chainstay to show clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fr1-019.jpg  

Canfield Nimble 9 build thread!-fr1-020.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Here is a Nimble Nine build Chris just finished up at the Northstar at Tahoe races on Saturday. I did get to take it on a demo ride. It was so freshly built that I terrorized both Chris and myself when I found out the brakes weren't even bedded in yet and grabbing. What I really like about this set up is the non XC feeling in the cockpit, with a more upright positioning, and the wiiiide handlebars, don't know if they were 30 inches or what.

I just took that exact bike for a spin a few hours ago. Sick bike!!

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I just took that exact bike for a spin a few hours ago. Sick bike!!
    What were your thoughts on it? Were you able to get a good test ride in?

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast