• 10-05-2005
    2melow
    Cane Creek Zonos SS/team issue/carbon wheels
    Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen these wheels posted here yet. I got a good look at them at Interbike but didn't have my camera to take a pic. Anyone else take a pic of these wheels?

    The rims are 23mm wide on all three wheels and are disk only. The carbon version weigh (advertised in catlog) are 1804g/pair - SS 1952g/pair - team issue 1860g/pair.
  • 10-05-2005
    goneskiian
    Only pictures I've found are here:

    http://twentynineinches.com/

    Scroll down past the Fisher bike and there's a little blurb about them.

    And in the Speedgaot blog:

    http://www.speedgoat.com/blog.asp

    Again, scroll down a bit to find it.

    Cheers!
    -Ian
  • 10-06-2005
    Alta825
    looky in the Interbike gallery under Cane creek, last I looked there were pics of the 29er carbon and std 29er hoops

    checked out the wheels in person last week and they look pretty sweet - definitely makes me think about replacing the current hoops.

    D
  • 11-17-2005
    Chic
    Any more word on when/if these are going to be available soon?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2melow
    Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen these wheels posted here yet. I got a good look at them at Interbike but didn't have my camera to take a pic. Anyone else take a pic of these wheels?

    The rims are 23mm wide on all three wheels and are disk only. The carbon version weigh (advertised in catlog) are 1804g/pair - SS 1952g/pair - team issue 1860g/pair.

    These look pretty nice.......
  • 11-17-2005
    MMcG
    How are the Cane Creek hubs though?

    I had a set of 26" Terros Disc wheels and I didn't find the rear hub to be anything to write home about. It was not as fast to engage as my DT Swiss Onyx - or at least it didn't give me the sense that it was as fast to engage as the DT Swiss hub.
  • 11-17-2005
    Chic
    No clue....anybody else have experience with the C.Creek stuff?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MMcG
    How are the Cane Creek hubs though?

    I had a set of 26" Terros Disc wheels and I didn't find the rear hub to be anything to write home about. It was not as fast to engage as my DT Swiss Onyx - or at least it didn't give me the sense that it was as fast to engage as the DT Swiss hub.

    I guess maybe that should be of concern to me given I ride a set of Kings on my geared 29er and the first thing I notice when I hop on my singlespeed built with WTB Laser Disc Lites is that the hub is noticeably slower to engage........

    Good point!
  • 11-17-2005
    pisgahproductions
    Cane Creek Customer Service
    Is among the best in the business.
    Example:
    I've got a set of the old style CC disc hubs with the Shimano freehub body laced to 26" rims. They are willing to rebuild these hubs using the new 29er rim for $120 per wheel. New bearings, New spokes, New rims. Not bad.
    Sorry, I can't comment on the new style hub, I've not owned one.
    ~E
  • 11-17-2005
    MMcG
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pisgahproductions
    Is among the best in the business.
    Example:
    I've got a set of the old style CC disc hubs with the Shimano freehub body laced to 26" rims. They are willing to rebuild these hubs using the new 29er rim for $120 per wheel. New bearings, New spokes, New rims. Not bad.
    Sorry, I can't comment on the new style hub, I've not owned one.
    ~E

    That's pretty damned cool of them to offer that type of rebuild service. Nice!
  • 11-17-2005
    SingleSpeedSlave
    The wheels are available as we speak if you can find a pair.I've got a set of the alum's coming to me this week.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2melow
    Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen these wheels posted here yet. I got a good look at them at Interbike but didn't have my camera to take a pic. Anyone else take a pic of these wheels?

    The rims are 23mm wide on all three wheels and are disk only. The carbon version weigh (advertised in catlog) are 1804g/pair - SS 1952g/pair - team issue 1860g/pair.

  • 11-17-2005
    Bigwheel
    Wes got some sets made up after contacting CC at Interbike the last year he showed there in 2003. Saw my first set in the spring of 2004 here. They were actually the Volos units and disc compatible. Of course I don't have all the specs being a specidiot type of guy, but I do know that they are light and that they hold any size tire out there and hold up. I mentioned them here back then and was ignored. Everyone seemed to want to jump on the AC bandwagon I guess.

    Tracy Smith here has three sets to cover all his bikes, two 29"ers and a 28"er that he has ridden now for two hard seasons and he raves about them. Says they wind up like nobodies business due to the straight pull/nipples at the hub design allowing for less weight out by the tire.

    I have never seen the Volos Disc's listed on the Cane Creek site, but I know that they made/make some because I have a set in hand myself awaiting a build I had in mind. However I am so enthralled with my Moth that I am in no hurry to do anything about them.

    http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/51...52DSC01640.JPG
  • 11-18-2005
    Soupboy
    CC CS is top notch
    I talked with Doug Beeler there earlier this week about these wheels. I will update this with a link to pics on their website when I find it.

    All-in, the standard Zonos 29er gearie disc set up was <2000g for the pair. I don't know much about the rear hub guts other than what can be read on the site and the fact that it is a 2-pawl mech.

    They use Velocity rims. I asked if they were going to making a Duros equivalent in 29er and he said not right now. The 23mm rims are a tad narrow for my preference but Doug didn't balk at clyde usage.

    Pics here: http://trade.canecreek.com/gallery/w...Zonos_Disk29_R
  • 11-18-2005
    kustomz
    1 Attachment(s)
    Mmmm carbon 29
    Cane Creek carbon wheels, Pace RC29, Easton EC post, stem, and bar. And the frame will be..........??? OCLV, Calfee, Crumpton, Orbea Alma, Scott. Must stay focused, back to work!
  • 11-18-2005
    Chic
    Just traded emails with them....
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kustomz
    Cane Creek carbon wheels, Pace RC29, Easton EC post, stem, and bar. And the frame will be..........??? OCLV, Ibis Mojo, Orbea Alma, Scott. Must stay focused, back to work!

    Carbon 29er setup is now available for order via your LBS or if LBS can't get them, they told me to give them a call and they would sell directly to me. Suggested retail for the set is $975. Ouch. Hmmmm..........
  • 11-18-2005
    Soupboy
    Yikes
    that makes I9 look like a value play.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Chic
    Suggested retail for the set is $975. Ouch. Hmmmm..........