mtbr member
    May 2013

Cane Creek 40 series Zero Stack without cups?

I'm hoping someone can answer a question I have about this 40 series zero stack I have on a brand new bike.

I just picked up a new 2013 Devinci Wooky Carbon SL with a 1.5" tapered, semi integrated headset. The bike was built at the shop, not at Devinci due to a frame swap.

After a ride I noticed the headset was loose so I tried to adjust with no luck. To get rid of the play I had to over torque the top cap, no matter what I did. Something felt wrong about the setup.

So I removed the forks to have a look and found the top 41.8mm bearing and bottom 52mm bearing but I thought those bearings were supposed to sit in cups pressed into the frame? As it was, each top and bottom bearing/race was just sitting in the carbon frame.

I don't have any experience with these semi integrated headsets. Hope someone with some knowledge can help me out with this one. I have attached some images of the frame and bearings that came out.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cane Creek  40 series Zero Stack without cups?-dsc_1007.jpg  

Cane Creek  40 series Zero Stack without cups?-dsc_1008.jpg  

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Zero Stack uses pressed in cups.

With Integrated the bearing just drop into the head tube.

Be sure you know which your frame is.

The devinci site does say it is Zero Stack. You do not have a Zero Stack cup in the top of the head tube. Check the bottom, too, and go give the shop hell. Hope the frame is OK.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just looked at the Cane Creek top cap off of the bike and it reads "40.IS" which isn't a even a zero stack headset.

On the Devinci web site it says the bike comes with a semi integrated Cane Creek 40 series zero stack. So maybe the bike shop ordered and installed the wrong headset?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickardo View Post
    I just looked at the Cane Creek top cap off of the bike and it reads "40.IS" which isn't a even a zero stack headset.

On the Devinci web site it says the bike comes with a semi integrated Cane Creek 40 series zero stack. So maybe the bike shop ordered and installed the wrong headset?
    No maybe about it.
    mtbtires.com

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    looks to me they tried to install the headset that is described on the site, but it is painfully obvious it needs to be a fully integrated headset looking at the frame. Possibly they tried to fit semi-integrated bearings into an integrated headtube, or something else is wrong...if the former, they'd have the left over cups still. I just put this headset into mine...1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered semi integrated zero stack cane creek...cups go into the headtube and the headtube has parallel machined faces like most head tubes. The fully integrated is shaped to fit bearings directly.

Cane Creek  40 series Zero Stack without cups?-headsetfitted_109_zps22f2f462.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    looks to me they tried to install the headset that is described on the site, but it is painfully obvious it needs to be a fully integrated headset looking at the frame. Possibly they tried to fit semi-integrated bearings into an integrated headtube, or something else is wrong...if the former, they'd have the left over cups still. I just put this headset into mine...1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered semi integrated zero stack cane creek...cups go into the headtube and the headtube has parallel machined faces like most head tubes. The fully integrated is shaped to fit bearings directly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headsetfitted_109_zps22f2f462.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	803488
    Carbon frames can look like they use Integrated headsets but are made for ZS.
    mtbtires.com

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Oh well, I've never had a carbon frame so can't comment. If the OP is unsure he can check on the cane creek fitting page which will give him the dimensions for the fully integrated seating.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Figured out the problem so I thought I would post a reply just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

First off, Devinci's Website is wrong in saying this frame is semi integrated when it isn't. I bought the bike thinking it was semi integrated and found this out when I took it apart... Feel sort of disappointed with Devinci about this because I like to know what I'm purchasing especially when it comes to a 1500.00 dollar frame.

Second, the headset ended up needing some 1 1/8th micro shim to go in between the top cover and the compression wedge. Without it the top cover was bottoming on the top of the head tube.

Hope this helps someone out in the future.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Glad you sorted it out eventually...so, it was a fully integrated headtube...not made to correct tolerance as well? That pretty irritating having to sort out that for your self. The lbs did everything correctly? Did they try to install a semi integrated headset, or did they have the correct gear?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah, it was really irritating. New bike... Just wanted to ride it. I guess you're right about the incorrect frame tolerance... If it was top cup depth in the frame was correct then the shim wouldn't be needed.

The shop did install the right headset, just not with shim. It was the the headset sent to them direct from Devinci so that should have been easy for them... The lbs should have figured all this out and installed the shim. Also correct tolerances from the manufacture would have made things a lot easier for everyone.

I'm more upset with Devinci selling me a bike that isn't what they say it is.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Sounds like they changed the spec and haven't updated their site....happens a lot. I have purchased a frame previously that had a feature on one page, not mentioned on another....so when I got it was a little surprised. It's all honest mistakes but just irritating for you. They would probably consider a fully integrated frame an upgrade, but not everyone sees it that way. Yes, the frame makers should have supplied the shim, and the shop installed it...did they sort it out or did you go elsewhere to solve the issue?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I figured it out... Just measured the gap differences. Realized it needed shim so I got some from Cane Creek. Called CC to make sure this was normal and they said it happens.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    CC have been good for me too. Quick response and answered my questions.

mtbr member
    OP- glad this was resolved for you. I'm kinda fond of the Atlas myself, but don't know what headset it takes and this thread has piqued my interest.

No hijack intended, but can anyone comment on integrated headset, more specifically the inlaid carbon cup's durability in MTB application? I know many manufacturers are doing this, but the whole concept of steel bearings rolling in grease on a composite bugs me.... I always thought resins were not impermeable petroleum products to some degree. Please educate me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's not "steel bearings rolling in grease on a composite".

The cup and bearings are one unit that sits in the frames moulded composite cup. So as long as they are installed and torqued properly there shouldn't be any problems. No bearings are actually rolling on carbon.

As for the composites absorbing grease over time, I don't know. That's why I opted for a bike with a lifetime warranty on the frame

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hopefully someone will chime in with some experience or knowledge about carbon/clearcoat and grease absorption.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rickardo- that makes sense. I had visions of the grease turning into a gooey cakey carbon paste with in bedded broken fibers. Like fudge with hairs in it