marodgrs
    May 2011

Can my 2010 SE Stout 29er switch to quick release?

I've heard that it can be done, but, if so, I have no idea how to do it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

AZ
    banned
    Well to state the obvious, your going to need a set of wheels. Quick release (QR) wheels to be more concise. And you will also need some QR skewers. AFAIK that should cover it. If I left something out, someone will assuredly point out my errors. You might use this opportunity to upgrade your wheels to a lighter set, it could be a large performance gain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Because the Stout has horizontal dropouts you probably should consider a second tug-nut keeper on the non-drive side if you're going to use QR's on the rear. Plus, of course you'll have to replace the rear wheel for a wheel with a QR hub.

I have a DMR revolver hub on my SE, it has bolt-ons which make it a little easier than the 10mm nutted axle when it comes to removing/installing the wheel (can be done with allen key).

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you can match up the specs with your hub and frame spacing you can replace the solid axles with hollow quick release axles.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/axles.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My rear hub just seized so I'm installing a rear wheel with quick release but I have to install two chain tensioners on both sides because with the amount of torque that is placed in the rear wheel the quick release will come loose, specially on climbs.

I ordered these puppies from ebay, hopefully they will hold:

Chain Tensioner Single Speed Fixed Gear NEW | eBay(not allowed to post link, since this is my first post)

I will post some pics once my setup is complete.

mtbr member
    This guy tells you how to do it to the front:

The Cracked Helmet: Cheap Steel: SE Stout 1x9

Tim

mtbr member

Yes you can

I did you can see some pics here
    SE Stout 3x9 DIY
    I just replace the hubs axles and cones with some spare I have laying around, some one point me to use shimano quick release systems since they are the strongest available.
    Although I do not have my Stout anymore (I exchange her for a Surly Karate Monkey) I use mine with no problems for months, including some 30+ miles race with long climbs, rocks and fast descents, good look
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Just get a set of Shimano XT skewers - they are internal cam and can be tightened enough to keep the wheel from slipping. I have been running a QR set-up on my 2008 Stout for over a year, and my rear wheel stays put just fine.

Also, you only need a chain tug on the drive side, where pedaling forces work to pull the wheel forward. Putting one on the non-drive doesn't do a thing for you. In fact, if you have disc brakes, the braking forces move the non-drive side backwards out of the DOs, not forward.

The only advantage putting a chain tug on the non-drive side buys you is helping the wheel align correctly when you have to remove an remount it (ie flat repair, etc). That is, until you get a little chain stretch. Then you have to be sure to tighten both equally or your wheel is crooked and your brakes squeak. Finally, depending upon the design, a chain tug adds width to the assembly that a QR must pass through - using one on both sides might mean your QR doesn't have enough engagement to tighten enough without stripping out the nut.
    Mind your own religion.