Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Can long term eXotic carbon fork users put up their hands?

Some money's coming in and it's time for me to get a fork. Going rigid and the eXotic was the first one I thought of. Even more tempting since they offered free shipping. Problem is I've seen a few threads about their customer service plus inconsistent quality. Both spell potentially big problems for me since I'm in Malaysia and chances of getting a replacement should something fail is quite close to nil.

With that said, can those of you who've had no problems with your eXotic carbon forks put up your hands? The aluminium version's about USD40 cheaper which is why I'm thinking I might as well go carbon and get a bit of weight off the front.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'm not familiar with the eXotic forks, but hopefully the difference between the carbon and aluminum forks will be more about improved ride quality than about lower weight.

Off the back...
    I have two of them, one on an old XC bike and one on my Misfit. The one on the Misfit gets used 12 months/year for both XC riding and winter commuting. I've got no complaints thus far.

Another option for a fork is the Misfit diSSent fork. It's light and cheap. Quality seems good too. My wife's bike has one, and it has worked well for 6 months.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe

Another option for a fork is the Misfit diSSent fork. It's light and cheap. Quality seems good too. My wife's bike has one, and it has worked well for 6 months.
    I've seen that, pinkrobe. The shipping to Malaysia is silly though. Brings the price up to around USD160+ in the end which was why I went back to the eXotic.

And it only worked well for 6 months?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Progen
    I've seen that, pinkrobe. The shipping to Malaysia is silly though. Brings the price up to around USD160+ in the end which was why I went back to the eXotic.

And it only worked well for 6 months?
    Ha - yes, she had 6 months of use on the bike to date. We'll see what the future brings...

Powered by ice cream.
    If you buy it I would count on zero customer service. Mine lasted a solid year of abuse before starting to creak. It's still solid, but it creaks and that weirds me out with carbon so I retired it.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Have you considered the Trigon fork? It's a great fork if you can handle the short AC height.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Have you considered the Trigon fork? It's a great fork if you can handle the short AC height.
    Oh, crap, sorry, I forgot I was in the 29er section.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why Shawn? There are 29er versions.

mtbr member
    Why Shawn? There are 29er versions.

Oh yeah, similar to the Exotic fork. But the Trigon 26er fork is killer, to bad they don't make it in a 29er. Here is the one I'm talkin' about:
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That bike sure looks light. The fork looks like one of those Niner flat bladed ones. Nice.

dirtbag
    *hand raised*

I have had one on a steel hardtail for a couple years. Bike gets ridden in a rotation out of my others. No problems so far.

Shouldn't living in Malaysia be easier rather than harder for buying and customer service or am I missing something?
    Amolan

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Although I'm geographically much nearer to China / Taiwan than you over in the States, unless we can get stuff black market style directly from the manufacturers or an intermediary (usually means thieving employee ), it won't be any cheaper. Might work out more expensive in the end since they have to go through the agents or retailers which are usually based in the States since that's where a lot of the good brands are.

Also, it's quite a nightmare for me finding 29er parts in Malaysia. I think less than 20% of the cycling population know there're 29ers and only 10% of that 20% have actually seen one. Did feel like selling off the the Hammer 29er frame before but in the end, decided to stick to it.

mtbr member
    Get this one if your frame can take a tapered fork:

http://www.gotobike.com.cn/gs_detail...&previd=500028

mtbr member
    May 2011
    More carbon! Their road frames sure look interesting. I'll give them an email and see how things go.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3
    Get this one if your frame can take a tapered fork:

http://www.gotobike.com.cn/gs_detail...&previd=500028

Just thought I'd email them for more details and here's the reply. Seems like it's a standard 1 1/8" steerer but that's all I bothered. Cost is USD130 for the fork and another USD35 for shipping to Malaysia. Not sure how much it'd cost to the U.S.A. if anyone's keen on a new player.

Have asked them for more photos from different angles because I'd like a good look at the dropouts.

mtbr member
    anyone tried that fork from gotobike?
    Josh

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    emp, I had read over on another thread that you would have to use a center lock front brake, the 6 bolt brakes rub.
    Dino

mtbr member
    ah thanks, wont be buying those then lol
    at the moment im thinking of getting on-ones race fork
    Id like the niner but it costs to much in australia and no one will post it from the usa
    Josh

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like we have so little choices stuck in our part of the world, emp. At the end of day, when I've run out of choices and heard so much negatives about the eXotics, I just might get an On-One carbon fork myself. Problem is their shipping's a bit on the expensive side. Just for fun, I placed TEN Alfine WHS-501 rear wheels in my basket and the shipping was the same as that for one fork. Contacted them directly but the reply was that they can't help on the shipping.

Waiting for Godot

had this fork on a couple of bikes. it has mainly been on this rigid hardtail for a while now. i ride everything with it, including very large embedded rock trails and xc races. i am more aggressive than a shy rider.

i think the bump absorption is better than other carbon forks of the same style i have had/ridden. mounted on a rigid aluminum frame this fork really gets a workout.
    i was cautious at first because i did not know much about this brand, but since then i feel like i can trust it and use their seatpost as well on most of my bikes.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I contacted gotobikes and there fork is tapered only.

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac
    emp, I had read over on another thread that you would have to use a center lock front brake, the 6 bolt brakes rub.
    Dino
    the bolts rub on my kris king hub, but not my hope pro II

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    the bolts rub on my kris king hub, but not my hope pro II
    I think idinomac meant the Gotobike fork, OilCanRacer. Anyway, is yours an eXotic?

Waiting for Godot
    I think idinomac meant the Gotobike fork, OilCanRacer. Anyway, is yours an eXotic?

yes the exotic one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast