mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can a Jones Diamond rear fit a Conti MKII 2.4 on P35's?

I recently built a Jones diamond with Ardent 2.4's on P35 rims. The Ardents fit great but i didn't like the traction in the rear on slick rooty climbs so I threw a Continental MKII 2.2 on the back since that's what I'd been riding on my previous bike and really liked. The wide P35's gave the 2.2 a much better foot print than it had on m old Stans Arch rims but I wish i had the volume of the 2.4 Ardent back. So I'm thinking about springing for a Conti MKII 2.4 for the back but don't want to plunk the cash down if I'll get tire rub in the rear triangle. Anybody know if the MKII 2.4 will fit well? My hunch is that if the Ardent fits then so will the MKII but I'd rather know before spending the $.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That review is based on the old MK. I'm pretty sure the MKII has a larger casing more true to the advertised 2.4 size.

mtbr member
    I'd be shocked if you couldn't. Haven't I seen the 2.4 Ardent on the back of the Jones on a Rabbit Hole rim? I'd guess that would have to be wider/taller than the MK on P35. On a Flow rim, I've gotten a TK 2.4 and the Chunky Monkey 2.4 on the rear of the Jones with plenty of room to spare.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Gotta pay to play
    Not that the MK is a bad choice- but for a mere $30 you might want to try a Chunky Monkey.

Apparently some of the Pacific Northwest riders helped develop the tire- and you know they've got slick wet roots up there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    says it's designed to be a front tire. i'm happy enough with the ardent 2.4 up front right now. maybe after i wear that one out i'll take another look at the chunky monkey. thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    says it's designed to be a front tire. i'm happy enough with the ardent 2.4 up front right now. maybe after i wear that one out i'll take another look at the chunky monkey. thanks for the tip!
    Shiggy clarified on another post that the Chunky Monkey is designed to be used as either a front or rear tire. I think the ad is just On One marketing a big, burly tire. I'm using it on the rear. Love it. My favorite 29er tire I've used. Course I'm in the PNW, and I love big tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    any chance you weighed yours? the on-one write up had some bs to the effect of "if you gotta ask then you don't wanna know". wel, i do wanna know even if the answer isn't 500 grams. i'm not a weight weenie but i do consider weights of components when making a purchase.

mtbr member
    any chance you weighed yours? the on-one write up had some bs to the effect of "if you gotta ask then you don't wanna know". wel, i do wanna know even if the answer isn't 500 grams. i'm not a weight weenie but i do consider weights of components when making a purchase.
    THe Chunky is averaging in at around 900 grams. The heaviest I've seen are at around 930. Hefty, yes, but probably not too much more than the MK.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Conti website alleges MKII 2.4 weighs 700 or 800 based on race sport or protection version so 100 to 200 grams less than CM. On a percent basis that's significant but I'm not sure it would scare me away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have you considered a Geax Gato 2.3? It gets good reviews as a front or rear and claimed weight for the folding version is 690g. Most reports I have seen put the size at just a bit smaller than an Ardent.

mtbr member
    Conti website alleges MKII 2.4 weighs 700 or 800 based on race sport or protection version so 100 to 200 grams less than CM. On a percent basis that's significant but I'm not sure it would scare me away.
    I hear you. Looks like you could save over 100 grams with the MK, according to meltingfeather's tire weight database. I don't worry too much over tire weight these days, within reason, but if I could get the same performance at 100 grams less, I would take it. Trouble is, I never seem to be able to. For me, every tire I've tried under 800 grams has been rejected. No, I take that back. I do love the Bont Mud X.