mtbr member
    Oct 2011

can anyonetell me whats better a KHS Winslow or a Trek Marlin?

Price point seems about the same a bit over 600

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    anyone......Beuller?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Marlin

I recently bought a Trek Marlin and am loving it for the single track rides I do. I am 5'8 and have the 17.5" frame, and it works great. You will want to upgrade to click in pedals if doing single track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I daily ride tech single on cheap platforms and would never want to clipin. Like this guy. World class.
    .Cornering with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    .Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Marlin Suntour fork has no rebound damping adjustability. It sometimes works or not. It can pogo when on difficult single track It is fine for dirt bike paths. Same fork on the KHS.
    An upgrade minimum is a RockShox XC 28TK $99 at bluesky.
    .BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox XC 28 TK Mg 29er Coil Fork

So skip the clip shoes and pedals and get a usable fork if you go for one of these.
    Or get an Airborne Guardian for the same price with the fork already included.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    why dont you like to clip in? makes for more efficient riding IMO. I do agree that the fork could be upgraded, but some people trashing the suntour xcm's, i have not had a problem with mine on the marlin at all. Have about 120 miles, mostly single track, and no leaks or problems. This is not too many miles, but the frame has a great feel to it. It doesnt bust your budget out and offers the ability to upgrade a good platform piece by piece.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marlin frame is the same as a X-Cal. It has great geo and would be worth putting a Reba or Manitou Tower Pro fork on.
    If you watch those videos you can see the importance of quick movement for weight transfer on technical trails. Going down is the most difficult. I have to be able to put a foot down on some fast turns. Going uphill is more conditioning and stamina than efficiency for me. I follow the tips in those videos and never come out of the pedal studs with trailrunners and cheap cast spike pedals. There was a short learning curve where I learned how to stick, mainly with low heels. But clipping in is another option that works for some but it's not something I wouldn't benefit from.

29er for the Soul
    I looked at a KHS Winslow yesterday. The fork was different than the Suntour that is mentioned and listed on the KHS website for this bike. It had a RST Blaze which had the adjustments on the top of both stantions. The lockout was on the right and preload on the left. I forgot to check if there was a knob under the right stantion to slow or increase the rate of rebound.

So, maybe it's worth investigating whether some of these came with a different fork than the Suntour that's listed.

I know nothing about the RST Blaze fork. It had more fore and aft flex in the fork, than the Rock Shox Dart 3 I rode for a few months. Though, I don't know if the sag had been adjusted on the Blaze.

Winslow shows two postive reviews on mtbr reviews section.

don't know anything about the Martin.

So Cal Rod