Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is it Friday yet?

Camber Pro 29 vs. Anthem X 29 vs. HiFi

Long story short, I owned a Camber 26er and loved it, but broke a few bits and it's now time for a new bike rather than investing more in my low end FS 26er.

I am seriously considering a short travel FS 29er, and of course my 1st thought was to go with the Specialized. I can't find one locally to test ride. Lots of people love their Anthem X 29ers, so I test rode one and really liked it, but 1) it has a lower parts spec for the money than the Camber (except the RP2 over the Camber's Triad II) and 2, I really don't like the way the cabling seems to be all over the place on the Anthem.

My regular LBS is a Trek dealer, and could probably get me a Fisher HiFi Pro with better spec at a very good price, but 1) I can't ride it first, and 2) I've read a lot about frames breaking on the Fisher FS bikes.

Anyone ridden 2 or 3 of these and have any opinions? One place I can't compare them is the stock wheels...anyone know if any of these stock wheels are better?

If price was equal and you could buy one of these bikes, which would you buy and why?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....2/7508/44089/

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...nsion/hifipro/

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    As a loyal spesh fan, It breaks my heart to say that I would get the anthem. I have a stumpy 29er fsr and have had 26inch stumpjumpers as well as I still have my roubaix. but if you want a short travel xc bike I think the anthem takes it.

Just Ride!
    Wow, did they all use the same cookie cutter? Amazing how much they look alike! I say Specialized based on looks.

Former Bike Wrench
    One of the main deciding factors for me when I was shopping 29er full suspension rigs (more Trail than XC) was the feel of the 10 speed drivetrains. The SRAM 10 speed setup (X7/X9) had a much more precise feel than the Shimano (SLX/XT) system. Shorter throws on the thumb levers and just a very distinct mechanical feel. That eliminated the Giant and it came down to a Stumpjumper FSR Comp and a Rumblefish. I liked both and it really came down to the better spec on the Specialized.

In your case the Trek and Specialized are very similarly equipped in almost every aspect. Wheel wise I would give the Trek a slight edge because the Bontrager TLR system is made to UST specs for ease of tubeless. The DT rims on the Specialized also are tubeless ready (and it comes with 2Bliss tires) but are not to UST specs. Hubs are both made by Formula and are cartridge bearing units. The Specialized wheels are likely a bit stronger (but heavier) with a 32 spoke slightly beefier rim as well.

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyto
    As a loyal spesh fan, It breaks my heart to say that I would get the anthem. I have a stumpy 29er fsr and have had 26inch stumpjumpers as well as I still have my roubaix. but if you want a short travel xc bike I think the anthem takes it.
    Why do you think that?

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    Wow, did they all use the same cookie cutter? Amazing how much they look alike! I say Specialized based on looks.
    Ha! Yeah, if it were a beauty contest, the Spesh would take the cake!

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    One of the main deciding factors for me when I was shopping 29er full suspension rigs (more Trail than XC) was the feel of the 10 speed drivetrains. The SRAM 10 speed setup (X7/X9) had a much more precise feel than the Shimano (SLX/XT) system. Shorter throws on the thumb levers and just a very distinct mechanical feel. That eliminated the Giant and it came down to a Stumpjumper FSR Comp and a Rumblefish. I liked both and it really came down to the better spec on the Specialized.

In your case the Trek and Specialized are very similarly equipped in almost every aspect. Wheel wise I would give the Trek a slight edge because the Bontrager TLR system is made to UST specs for ease of tubeless. The DT rims on the Specialized also are tubeless ready (and it comes with 2Bliss tires) but are not to UST specs. Hubs are both made by Formula and are cartridge bearing units. The Specialized wheels are likely a bit stronger (but heavier) with a 32 spoke slightly beefier rim as well.
    Thanks. Great point. For me, that may actually lean toward the Spesh because I weigh 200.

mtbr member
    The new HiFi's have proven durable. Its the 2009's and earlier models that had some issues.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I own both a 2010 Gary Fisher Hifi and a Giant Anthem 29er X3 and feel that they're both good bikes. However the Giant is definitely better than both the Hifi Plus or even the Deluxe as well as the Specialized Camber Pro for the following reasons:

1. The Anthem X3 comes with a 15mm t/a. Both the Specialized and Gary Fisher do not. As a GF owner it does make me mad that for a little extra money Trek could have equipped their entire Hifi Line with 15mm or 20mm T/A forks yet deliberately chose not to. I ended up buying a Reba Team 29er out of pocket because the steering without the T/A simply sucks. When I'm on the Giant I can follow my friends into tight switchbacks with ease,on the GF I have to work to keep up in the twisties. I think this is huge drawback,especially if you ride with other people on 26 inch bikes.

2. The entire Anthem X 29er line comes with boost valve as a standard feature. To be honest this feature isn't as important as the 15mm T/A. However if you're going to catch air boost valve is invaluable. After catching sight of a rider that had wiped out on the rock garden ahead of me I took a three foot drop on the Anthem X 29er,and felt absolutely nothing. The Gary Fisher has an excellent suspension too I was riding with another friend on a 5" inch FS 26er bike when we approached a steep descent he told me his friend had wiped out on this very incline. At first I hesitated and then hit it at full speed,I felt like I was riding in the parking lot at the bike store. By comparison my friend on his hardtail 29er was literally hanging on for dear life. However if you're going to do something crazy I think the boost valve and Maestro suspension system give the Anthem X 29er the edge.

As far the brakes on both bikes are concerned:the stock brakes suck. Both the Anthem X 29er and Hifi are capable of gonig alot faster than the brakes will allow.

Just get the Anthem X,if you buy the Hifi or Specialized you will probably be angry that you don't have a T/A and you might regret not having boost valve,depending on how and where you ride.

Also one more note the Specialized doesn't appear to have a tapered headtube, a big no no on expensive full suspension bikes in my book.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I love my Anthem X. Granted, I got the X1 and got a great deal on it, but its a great bike. Didn't look at the Specialized when I was shopping, but I did consider the HiFi for a while and decided that I liked the suspension design and geometry better on the Anthem. YMMV

Is it Friday yet?
    Great points Mefistofeles! Thank you. I hear so many people say "the Anthem is best because it has Maestro, but you really layed out some good tangible points. That just about seals the deal.

Any opinion on the wheels between the bikes?

And what about those super long chain stays?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had 6 alloy nipples fail on Bontrager wheels during a single event. pop pop pop poppity pop. I question the intelligence behind putting 'lightweight' components like that on an already "portly" 1900+ gram wheel set.
    The wheels were 8 mos. old @ failure. I am no metallurgist but they appeared to be corroded? I am not sure what happens to aluminum but it had some white powdery looking substance on the surface of it and was pitted. I thought I cleaned the bike regularly enough. maybe not.
    I haven't noticed many others mention any concerned about the longevity, durability, "softness" of aluminum as a nipple, so it probably is me... don't really know what I would have done different than anyone else. Could be fireball, could be bike lust... who knows.
    Once replaced with either brass or SS (can't remember), the wheels were solid. Nearly half of the nipples busted in half as they were being unscrewed from the rim. The appropriate sized park tool spoke wrench was used...
    The bonty "race" wheels in question were from 2008.
    The "race lites" that came on the HiFi Pro I just purchased were sold before they were even put on the bike in favor of some el cheapo Sun Ringle Disc-o-flea wheels that i bought from a guy on here.
    They were nearly new, lighter, pretty cheap and seemed to be constructed of far better materials.

YMBD

up n over
    Nov 2010
    ive been thinking about an epic 29er...
    i dont race anymore.
    leaning towards the camber.
    watching this thread........
    "my cat's breath smells like catfood."
    -ralph wiggum

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrides
    Great points Mefistofeles! Thank you. I hear so many people say "the Anthem is best because it has Maestro, but you really layed out some good tangible points. That just about seals the deal.

Any opinion on the wheels between the bikes?

And what about those super long chain stays?
    That is a good point on the Giant front end...I was looking at the Stumpy FSR which has a tapered headtube and 20mm fork so it was a non-factor in my decision. But I can see that being an advantage for the Giant in your case. Although the 24mm end caps and RWS skewer on the Specialized will still be fairly stiff for a QR.

The Giant wheels look stout (if not a bit heavy) with 32h 2.0 spokes and the Shimano M529 "29er" specific rear freehub. You will likely need to service the bearings more often if you ride in wet conditions than with cartridge bearing but that is a pretty easy job.

As far as the Chainstays, I do like the shorter stays on my Specialized. They're even shorter than the hardtail I had previously (17.6" vs 17.9") and I can feel the difference in how much easier it is to get the front end up to clear root and log crossings and drops. At 18.2" on the Giant, you might want to test ride and do some curb drops and see what its like to lift the front end up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles
    As far the brakes on both bikes are concerned:the stock brakes suck. Both the Anthem X 29er and Hifi are capable of gonig alot faster than the brakes will allow.
    Elixir Cr on the AX1 29er are very good. Since the wheelset is reasonably light I have actually gone down to a 160 disc in the front, like a few others I know.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-22-2011 at 02:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As far as chainstay length my Ax29er isn't as flickable as my Scale 29er but it has stability in spades and carves briliantly making it a good trail bike. I find the stem length and height as much or more influence on how well you can loft the front wheel. The way the Ax carves it lends itself to a short high stem with wide bars for most fun.

It does look fragile for trail bashing at 200 lbs though but they do have lifetime warranty.

Is it Friday yet?
    Thanks for the thoughts on the wheels, brakes and stays everyone. I'm definitely going to go ride again and test wheelies.

jct
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts on the wheels, brakes and stays everyone. I'm definitely going to go ride again and test wheelies.

have no fear with the Giant's wheelset. i'm about 230 in full costume and do plenty of 2-4' drops and jumps and the things are still true. no problems whatsoever.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Giant wheels look stout (if not a bit heavy) with 32h 2.0 spokes and the Shimano M529 "29er" specific rear freehub. You will likely need to service the bearings more often if you ride in wet conditions than with cartridge bearing but that is a pretty easy job.
    I have been riding an Anthem X 29er 2 for a couple weeks. We compared the wheel weight to the wheels I have been riding for the past nine months (DT Swiss 240s hubs and double butted spokes, and Stans Flow rims with a 2.2" Specialized Captain Control rear and a 2.2" Specialized Purgatory Control tubeless with sealant) to the stock wheels on the Anthem X29er 2 and they were virtually identical in weight. To be fair, the Giant has smaller tires, and I have been known to run a generous amount of sealant in my tubeless setups, but the stock wheels shouldn't necessarily be a deal killer based on weight alone.

As far as the Chainstays, I do like the shorter stays on my Specialized. They're even shorter than the hardtail I had previously (17.6" vs 17.9") and I can feel the difference in how much easier it is to get the front end up to clear root and log crossings and drops. At 18.2" on the Giant, you might want to test ride and do some curb drops and see what its like to lift the front end up.
    A real test ride is definitely recommended. All bikes have their pros and cons, give and take. Best to see how those things affect you and your riding style/terrain. So far, I really like riding this bike on several different trails I have taken it to. Certainly one of the most versatile bikes I've swung a leg over to date.

Thanks. Great point. For me, that may actually lean toward the Spesh because I weigh 200.
    I weigh 260lb before donning a t-back thong (sorry for that visual). I haven't found the Giant frame/suspension to have any issues with my hulking girth, so I think the Anthem X 29er I have been flogging would giggle when you step aboard at 200lb.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Great thread here, as I'm in the same boat, thinking about the Anthem X1. Good points made by a few. Thought about the Rumblefish, but the Anthem X is a bit lighter.

Since I've been rocking a Reign I think I'd find the suspension to my personal liking.

However I do like that the RF has a 70 degree HA. Can these Anthems run a Cane Creek adjustable HS?
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeler
    Since I've been rocking a Reign I think I'd find the suspension to my personal liking.
    Ride one if you can for comparison. I've got a Marin Wolf Ridge which has 67 degree head angle and my AX1 29er is more stable in corners and carves as well, or better.

Depending on what you want from the AX you could also mod your Reign in to a 69er like I've done with my 09 trance
    An old Reign has angles are pretty good for a F29 120 69er conversion.
    69er Riders: Share Your Experiences Please
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 04-23-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Is it Friday yet?
    Well, I went and test rode the AX1 again today, thinking about all the things people recommended. Great bike and I loved it. Size L was about 27 pounds. IMO, it needs a swept handlebar.

I also threw a leg over a Santa Cruz Tallboy. It was the $4,600 SPXXC build. WOW! What a bike. Super light. It wheelies easily. But wayyy out of my price range. I rode it because I knew there was a cheaper package, the RXC at $3,600. I liked the bike so much I was ready to buy it, even with the lower level components and Monarch and Reba...but started looking closely at the website and realized that the Reba is not a thruaxle fork. I think that's a dealbreaker for me, just like an earlier poster said about the Fisher HiFi.

I'm going to call the shop and see if I can buy the RXC package and upgrade to the Fox fork for $100 or so, but if not, I'm probably going to go with the AX1.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Well, I went and test rode the AX1 again today, thinking about all the things people recommended. Great bike and I loved it. Size L was about 27 pounds. IMO, it needs a swept handlebar.

I also threw a leg over a Santa Cruz Tallboy. It was the $4,600 SPXXC build. WOW! What a bike. Super light. It wheelies easily. But wayyy out of my price range. I rode it because I knew there was a cheaper package, the RXC at $3,600. I liked the bike so much I was ready to buy it, even with the lower level components and Monarch and Reba...but started looking closely at the website and realized that the Reba is not a thruaxle fork. I think that's a dealbreaker for me, just like an earlier poster said about the Fisher HiFi.

I'm going to call the shop and see if I can buy the RXC package and upgrade to the Fox fork for $100 or so, but if not, I'm probably going to go with the AX1.
    I would look again..... It's a 20mm thru axle

WTB 20mm Super Duty Front hub

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33
    I would look again..... It's a 20mm thru axle
    Am I looking at the wrong fork? Is this not it?

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=21487

Village Dirtbag
    Considering the same bikes for my wife. The Anthem is the top pick. The local Giant shop is willing to knock off 10%, and the Spec shop isn't, so prices are identical. The Giant is...

over a pound lighter
    has a tapered head tube vs 1 1/8
    has better shocks front and rear
    has a 15mm TA vs QR
    is running 10-speed vs 9
    has a 36T cassette vs 34
    has a press-fit BB, vs. octalink

They both ride great, but the Giant pedals better.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Former Bike Wrench

My 2011 Reba RLT 29er fork is tapered and a 20mm axle and this seems to confirm that it is.

http://www.hucknroll.com/santa-cruz-...157&mv_pc=r126

Is it Friday yet?
    My 2011 Reba RLT 29er fork is tapered and a 20mm axle and this seems to confirm that it is.

http://www.hucknroll.com/santa-cruz-...157&mv_pc=r126
    THANK YOU!!

How do you like yours? I realize it's the RLT vs. RL, but curious what you think. Everything seems to come with the Fox fork these days.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Well, I went and test rode the AX1 again today . . . . . . IMO, it needs a swept handlebar.
    Yea, that flat bar is a 'wrist-wrecker' for me too.

If I had one statement to separate the Tallboy and the Anthem X 29er, it would go something like this:

I ride down the hill because it's so much fun to haul ass back up it again = Tallboy

I ride up the hill because it's so much fun to haul ass back down it again = Anthem X 29er

JMHO.

Former Bike Wrench
    THANK YOU!!

How do you like yours? I realize it's the RLT vs. RL, but curious what you think. Everything seems to come with the Fox fork these days.
    It is an excellent fork, I like the dual air a lot and the adjustability of the excellent Motion Control damper. It actually almost caused a couple crashes when I first got it because I was used to my previous fork (Tora 318 Solo Air 29er 100mm) flexing a bit and so I had to compensate by over-steering a little. I always thought that fork felt stiff until I got the Reba. So I would over-steer and almost shoot off the trail on the first couple rides on the Reba.

The main difference between the RL and RLT is the floodgate adjustment as far as I know.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Considering the same bikes for my wife. The Anthem is the top pick. The local Giant shop is willing to knock off 10%, and the Spec shop isn't, so prices are identical. The Giant is...

over a pound lighter
    has better shocks front and rear
    has a 15mm TA vs QR
    is running 10-speed vs 9
    has a 36T cassette vs 34
    has a press-fit BB, vs. octalink

They both ride great, but the Giant pedals better.

Seems like a no-brainer.
    Looks like your comparing a 2011 Giant to a 2010 Specialized

If your comparing equal priced 2011 models Anthem X 29er 2 vs Camber Pro it would look like this:
    shock is similar, fork is the same model
    15mm TA vs QR
    both are 10 speed, though the Giant is 3x10 and the Specialized is 2x10
    both have a 11-36 cassette
    both use external BB's, the Giant is pressed and the Specialized is a SRAM GXP unit.

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Yea, that flat bar is a 'wrist-wrecker' for me too.

If I had one statement to separate the and the Anthem X 29er, it would go something like this:

I ride down the hill because it's so much fun to haul ass back up it again =

I ride up the hill because it's so much fun to haul ass back down it again = Anthem X 29er

JMHO.
    Ha! I'd rather go downhill, but where I live, it's mostly flat, very rooty, with very steep but short ups and downs. Where does that leave me?

Still can't make up my mind. The Santa Cruz is an amazing frame that I could build on, but I would have to wait for delivery and in the end would spend a good thousand more to get to my goal (upgrading brakes and components). On the other hand, the Anthem is just about as good as I will ever get it (other than replacing the stem and bars) and I could own it today.

Decisions decisions....

mtbr member
    I was comparing the anthem x, stumpy fsr, and the Rumblefish. To me buying a new bike without a thru axle is a complete waste. The tapered head tubes are nice but the thru axle is a big leap forward. Based on that I would get the anthem x out of your three pics. Personally I went with the Stumpjumper FSR local LBS came down on price enough that I couldn't pass it up way more bike than a anthem X. Personally after riding them all I'm very happy I went that route. But it depends on whether you want to spend the extra $$$ and want a bike with 130mm of travel over the 100mm of the others. I did.

what a joke
    I have been following this thread and others regarding the Anthem. I bought an X1 Anthem today. I really liked the Stumpy Expert and got a good price from my local shop and it would have been the most similar to what I have now, a Turner 5spot with Duc 32 fork.

The Anthem was just extremely good value for money and it was $1100 cheaper then the Stumpy. I went out to my local loop, approx 7miles long. 1st lap I knocked 4, minutes off my best time on the 5spot, 2nd lap I knocked another 2minutes off. That's with no tweaking of the suspension, just getting on and riding. I'm very impressed with how fast it is. Climbing is fantastic and the 2' drops were nothing. Descending was amazing for a 4" bike. I would not call it an AM bike but it will hold its own I suspect. Not buttery smooth like my Duc and DHX coil but no slouch either.
    blah blah blah

Is it Friday yet?
    Pulled the trigger on the AX1 today. I'll let you know more once I've had a few rides to dial everything in.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Is it Friday yet?
    Size L = 26.1 pounds after removing the dork disk, reflectors, stickers, and pedals.

Former Bike Wrench
    Size L = 26.1 pounds after removing the dork disk, reflectors, stickers, and pedals.
    How does it ride without pedals?

what a joke
    My XL with time pedals is 27.5lbs.

Gave it another thrash this afternoon, added a few psi to the suspension and it felt even better. Not sure about the bar though, may try something with more sweep but will give it a few more rides first.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member

Go with the Anthem

I had an Epic 29er and now ride an Anthem X 29er. I don't have time for a long post but in short both are great bikes but you can't beat a Giant for the component spec. The AX is lighter and floats better over rough terrain. The Maestro suspension works. It is plush when it's supposed to be and efficient when pedaling.

Is it Friday yet?
    First ride report on my new AX1 29er...WOW!

Easily faster than my 26er. I flew over sections that I used to need to nuance. I climbed better too. There is some truth to the need to take turns at different angles, but nothing that sent me off the trail, I just used the brakes occasionally. I would prefer a larger brake rotor, and felt like it took me longer to stop or slow than I was used to on my last bike with bigger rotors, but it may have been that I was moving faster too. The stock Crossmark's performed well on the dry and loose trail. There were a few times that I felt like they lost traction as I was turning, but then the outer lugs grabbed hold and kept me up. I HATE the handlebar. Replacing ASAP.

I also now understand why so many people recommend learning skills on a 26 and then going to 29, because it really didn't feel like i was working on anything but pedaling fast. Downside to that...I got TOO MUCH confidence and went otb on a drop I usually clear. User error, not a bike issue.

The bike is really inspiring and makes you want to go faster.

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    I gotta say Anthem. The Maestro linkage simply pedals better than the FSR without a nifty brain on it, and I've had to work with Shimano warranty a LOT less this year than I have with SRAM. (Every last mechanic at my shop has finally ditched the SRAM 10sp for XT or X.0 9sp.) That Anthem is super-capable when you point it downhill, as well.

That said, we're all pretty sure that the Giant engineering dept is full of degree-holding knobs who don't ride, hence the horrid cable routing out of the box. That said, there are far more elegant to route the cables on that frame, so I'd hope that those aesthetics won't deter you too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would prefer a larger brake rotor, and felt like it took me longer to stop or slow than I was used to on my last bike with bigger rotors, but it may have been that I was moving faster too.

The larger wheels on a 29er are harder to stop,that's not as much of a problem on a 29er hardtail because your terrain will stop you. However when you're riding on a full suspension you have to hit a serious obstacle before the terrain can stop you.

For some reason even when you have a smooth downhill run I feel that a full suspension 29er is still faster than a hardtail 29er. Who knows perhaps aerodynamic forces compress the shock so you have less drag or something.

In light of all this I chose to equip both of my full suspension 29er's with Shimano Saint four piston brakes. Even with a 180mm front rotors I feel that my brakes aren't too powerful.

However for the 29er hardtails I think Elixirs or XT's perfectly adequate,especially if they're with 180 or 185mm front rotors. For whatever reason the 29er full suspension bike is just a beast when you have a long downhill run and it's a shame that most manufacters don't equip their bikes with either Shimano Saint or Avid Code brakes,because you certainly need them if you want to get the most out of your full suspension 29er.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    First ride report on my new AX1 29er...WOW!

Easily faster than my 26er. I flew over sections that I used to need to nuance. I climbed better too. There is some truth to the need to take turns at different angles, but nothing that sent me off the trail, I just used the brakes occasionally. I would prefer a larger brake rotor, and felt like it took me longer to stop or slow than I was used to on my last bike with bigger rotors, but it may have been that I was moving faster too. The stock Crossmark's performed well on the dry and loose trail. There were a few times that I felt like they lost traction as I was turning, but then the outer lugs grabbed hold and kept me up. I HATE the handlebar. Replacing ASAP.

I also now understand why so many people recommend learning skills on a 26 and then going to 29, because it really didn't feel like i was working on anything but pedaling fast. Downside to that...I got TOO MUCH confidence and went otb on a drop I usually clear. User error, not a bike issue.

The bike is really inspiring and makes you want to go faster.
    So are you now happy that it has as much stability as your camber?

I'd swap out those horrible tires as well as bars.
    I've got Ra Ra 2.4 front 2.25 rear and its almost unstoppable.

Is it Friday yet?
    I'm actually pretty happy with the crossmarks for now, but havw seen that many like the Ralphs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pulled the trigger on the AX1 today. I'll let you know more once I've had a few rides to dial everything in.

Thanks for all the good advice!

kwrides, How would you compare the Tallboy with your Anthem?
    Thanks

Is it Friday yet?
    Hi Midwestbiker - see posts 22-31. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have heard of plenty of people upgrading their Tallboy forks to 120mm and like the ride better. Has anyone tried that with the AX1 yet? Impressions? I am looking at both bikes and it will be a trail bike much more often than a race bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You could stitch a 120mm fork on either. I'm pretty impressed with the big bump capability of the latest gen F29 100 RLC on my AX1.Every review I have seen so far rates the AX as a very good trail bike because of it's stability. Short stem and wide risers adds to the trail bike feel. I'm pretty sure you would be happy with either. Trial both or trial a maestro and a VPP bike to see which rear suspension design you like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've ridden the Hifi Pro, the Epic Comp 29, and the Camber Pro 29. I purchased the Camber Pro.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by msh213 View Post
    I've ridden the Hifi Pro, the Epic Comp 29, and the Camber Pro 29. I purchased the Camber Pro.
    I test rode the HiFi Pro and the Epic Comp 29 in 2010. I chose the HiFi. Why did you choose the Camber?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    I test rode the HiFi Pro and the Epic Comp 29 in 2010. I chose the HiFi. Why did you choose the Camber?
    I just felt more comfortable on the bike and they gave me a huge deal. Couldn't pass it up!

I also liked the shimano parts over SRAM. I didn't like the SRAM shifters at all.

EDIT: also the custom 2x10 crank is really nice. I wanted the 2x10 setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast