Certified Bike Junkie

Calling all Salsa El Gordo Owners

Hello- I am just about to order up my new dream wheelset, however I wanted to ask a few questions to those of you who are lucky enough to be allready riding a set of wide el gordo 29er rims...
    I currently have some Kris Holm 38 mm wide rims, laced to some xt disc hubs...I LOVE what the wide rims do to my weirwolfs, so cushy, especially for a rigid bike..HOWEVER, the wheelset is HEAVY!!!! I mean I could tell a major diff between these and my I9's laced to FLOWS with the same tires...What Im wondering is this..How heavy are you guys getting your SEG wheel builds? Im thinking of either king hubs or hope pro 2's..I know its not going to be a race ready wheelset, but I like to ride all day long epics, and am afraid this build might be to heavy for what Im used to doing...
    How are your wheelsets feeling? To heavy for epics? Or are they more like "just a fun" wheelset for bombing around for a few hours....Any tips would help me out tons, since this will be my do it all wheelset (includign some races)
    Check out my BLOG www.joemtbiker.blogspot.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    Hello- I am just about to order up my new dream wheelset, however I wanted to ask a few questions to those of you who are lucky enough to be allready riding a set of wide el gordo 29er rims...
    I currently have some Kris Holm 38 mm wide rims, laced to some xt disc hubs...I LOVE what the wide rims do to my weirwolfs, so cushy, especially for a rigid bike..HOWEVER, the wheelset is HEAVY!!!! I mean I could tell a major diff between these and my I9's laced to FLOWS with the same tires...What Im wondering is this..How heavy are you guys getting your SEG wheel builds? Im thinking of either king hubs or hope pro 2's..I know its not going to be a race ready wheelset, but I like to ride all day long epics, and am afraid this build might be to heavy for what Im used to doing...
    How are your wheelsets feeling? To heavy for epics? Or are they more like "just a fun" wheelset for bombing around for a few hours....Any tips would help me out tons, since this will be my do it all wheelset (includign some races)

Here are my Gordo/Hope Pro II/Wheelsmith wheels. The rims weighed 680 grams each, the wheelset is about 2200 grams total.

I have them on a single speed right now with hopes of getting these on a Big Mama down the road. The wheels are fantastic! I cannot imagine riding narrow rims off road in tough terrain at any sort of speed without these.

The rims are rigid laterally like no other 29"er wheel set I have ridden. This makes a huge difference in how my bike tracks. Are they too heavy? Not for trail riding, no. For racing? Well, 2200 grams is not a race wheelsets weight, but at the right course, the width of the Gordos, coupled with their lateral rigidity.... well, maybe!

If I were using these on an all day trail bike, I could easily see pulling them off and running them on a single speed, or hardtail rig, especially with a rigid fork. You can get the big WeirWolf LT to be over 60mm wide and a Racing Ralph 2.4 will also be huge on these rims. Big volume tires, laterally stiff rims/wheels, and a rigid hardtail rig would be great in my mind, even though the wheels might be a tad heavy for most racing.

So, are you racing for fun, or are you looking for every advantage you can to help you place high? If the "motor" is there, and you are racing, I think that this wheelset isn't the greatest choice for top results. Racing for fun, well yeah. It won't let you down, that's for sure! These rims seem pretty bomber to me so far.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    The rims are rigid laterally like no other 29"er wheel set I have ridden. This makes a huge difference in how my bike tracks.
    I second the above statement.

I have two rides on mine and am honestly blown away.

I had no idea how much flex was going on with the Flow rims I had previously. I wish I could compare to KH rims, but I have no time on them. How heavy are the KH rims?

I am wondering how to get these rims on all my bikes. Probably overkill for a 190 lb rider, but I love how they feel.

Also consider the halo freedom rim. Very burly and stiff, not as heavy as KH.

Certified Bike Junkie

Gt

thanks for the info, I definitely am not a competitive racer, I just race mostly for fun, I was just kind of blown away by the weight of the KH rims I built up..They only weigh 20 or so grams more than the gordo's, but maybey its the hubs that are making the most diff (xt hubs are heavy)...Just didnt want ot spend 6-700 bucks on a wheelset I didnt like...I suppose that if I ran a lighter tire like the racing ralph instead of the weirwolf, that would help me save some grams as well....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Enel... very interesting comment that the Gordos are stiffer than the Flows. I was seriously considering adding a Flow to the front of my rigid SS to replace the narrower Arch, as my favorite tire (RR 2.4) was too flexy at lower pressures on the narrower rim.

I thought the Flow might help that by widening the rim, but I'm very curious about your comments regarding the Gordo. Can you elaborate?

Also, has anyone run them tubeless? I know from a previous thread that Mikesee thought they weren't a great tubeless setup, but he rides in the rockfields of Colorado and to him the Stout is his ideal tire. Not exactly the conditions I ride in.

Any Midwesterners run them tubeless yet?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdave
    Enel... very interesting comment that the Gordos are stiffer than the Flows. I was seriously considering adding a Flow to the front of my rigid SS to replace the narrower Arch, as my favorite tire (RR 2.4) was too flexy at lower pressures on the narrower rim.

I thought the Flow might help that by widening the rim, but I'm very curious about your comments regarding the Gordo. Can you elaborate?

Also, has anyone run them tubeless? I know from a previous thread that Mikesee thought they weren't a great tubeless setup, but he rides in the rockfields of Colorado and to him the Stout is his ideal tire. Not exactly the conditions I ride in.

Any Midwesterners run them tubeless yet?
    I've got some Flows laced to King hubs. No comparison, really. The Flows are nice, and honestly, you wouldn't think a thing was wrong with them....until you rode a set of wheels laced to Gordos! Of course, the wheel builder has something to do with it, but really, Flows just are not as laterally stiff. No how, no way.

As for tubelessness, I have not tried it, and I have only one report that says it works great and two that don't. Very few folks talking about the Gordos yet. Time will tell....

mtbr member
    I built up a set of these on the m775 XT disc hubs recently. I was coming off of some Delgados and looking for a little extra width. I always rode light xc rims before and knew that switching to a 29er weight was going to have to get thrown out the window. The Delgados weren't bad as far as weight. About 490gr each for my set. Then I got some KH rims. These weighed in at a much higher than claimed 820gr each. I don't know what happened but those were heavy! I decided to buck up and go with Gordos. Much better decision. Mine came in at 685 and 683gr.

I haven't run these tubeless yet but I will have to say the stability is crazy. It takes a tire that has a beefier sidewall (for a 29er tire) and just gives it a touch more support and width making it feel, for a lack of better comparison,like a smaller Endomorph. You can also run stupid low pressures with no fear of the bead rolling off the rim. The little extra rim extrusion provides such a better level of retention that you get no creaking or popping of the bead. Also the fact that these rims are welded helps a ton. It just gives that extra security when lacing that helps to build a better wheel.

That being said I am going to experiment with a Racing Ralph 2.4 tire on the front soon. I have a Stout on now and seeing as we don't have much snow yet, I could use a lighter lower knobbed front tire. I love the traction, but I think GT is on to something with that combo. I've been riding a lot of grass, prairies, mud patches and train tracks just to explore some areas locally that I've left untouched and the Stout through these conditions without some snow is just overkill. I have a Weirwolf to slap on as well but what the heck may as well try one seeing as I haven't yet.

All in a very good decision. I experienced something new tonight as well. My tire pressure was stupid low as I was riding a stretch of abandoned train track. I pulled off and hit up a bike path. As I descended a small hill and turned into a rolling corner I felt something weird. My tire pressure wasn't low enough to roll the bead or sidewall, but it was low enough to grab the asphalt enough to add an extra level of gyroscopic effect. It made it feel hard to return steering to center. It could have been tire pressure, it could have been the build of the wheel, I don't know. I know I hadn't felt this at higher pressures though.

mtbr member
    I look forward to finally getting some real clock on my Gordos this week and comparing to my KHs. For the $ I hope they're close...
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    I look forward to finally getting some real clock on my Gordos this week and comparing to my KHs. For the $ I hope they're close...

keep us updated on that one..Very curious to see what the diff is weight wise..You using the same hubs for both wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Attn: Gt

And other of course...

I'm about to build up a front 20mm hub/gordo wheel for my new 20mm reba. I could use a suggestion on a front hub. I figured I can save some overall weight going with a lighter front hub. I'm thinking: DT Swiss 240, WTB super duty, or a king.

Any thoughts?