mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Caffeine new chain, cassette

Bought a used Caffeine last year. Very low mileage and use. Shifted fine and all but had a habit of false shifting on the 5th cog down on the cassette under a load(going up hill). Had it to the shop a few times and nothing helped. Called a friend and the first thing out of his mouth was "does it have a Shimano chain on it?" SRAM X7 components on the bike. I looked and sure enough it did have a Shimano chain. Went in to get the chain swapped out and noticed a broken tooth(on another cog that gave me no problems). Decided to change the cassette also.
    Unfortunately I didn't get to test the idea of the chain being the problem. Yeah, supposedly it works but...
    But it works perfectly now with new cassette and SRAM chain.
    Glad to have that behind me. Quite annoying.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    About to do the same to my bike, if you don't mind my asking what did it all cost you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    Bought a used Caffeine last year. Very low mileage and use. Shifted fine and all but had a habit of false shifting on the 5th cog down on the cassette under a load(going up hill). Had it to the shop a few times and nothing helped. Called a friend and the first thing out of his mouth was "does it have a Shimano chain on it?" SRAM X7 components on the bike. I looked and sure enough it did have a Shimano chain. Went in to get the chain swapped out and noticed a broken tooth(on another cog that gave me no problems). Decided to change the cassette also.
    Unfortunately I didn't get to test the idea of the chain being the problem. Yeah, supposedly it works but...
    But it works perfectly now with new cassette and SRAM chain.
    Glad to have that behind me. Quite annoying.
    The design of the chain, being SRAM or Shimano, was unlikely to be the reason. What design feature of a chain could possibly make it only have problems on one cog?

More likely, there was a cable issue, or a cassette and chain wear issue. Or maybe both, and new cass/chain worked around a cable issue.

I'm sure it would also work fine now with a Shimano chain.