mtbr member
    May 2018

Buying used bike, appreciate some guidance

I'm ready to move from the 26" world to 29" but don't have a lot of money to spend ($1400 max) so am looking at used bikes. At 6'2" and a 33 inseam I fit right between an L and XL. Most of my riding occurs around Salt Lake City with the occasional trip to Moab, which means all single track with a fair bit of technical rocky sections and a mix of tight and flowy trails (though at age 60 am not doing any big drops). I'm looking for a bike that is a good climber (my natural strength) and will give me enough confidence on the downhills to keep up with my buddies. In terms of feature preference, I'd like to minimize weight, have a 1x? gearing, a dropper post, and enough of a fork that I won't endo on a 12-18" drop.

In the local paper I've found 2 bikes that appear to fit what I'm looking for, so am hoping you could weigh in on if you'd steer clear of one vs the other, or if there are other things I should consider. The 2 bikes are a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite and a 2014/5 (the seller wasn't sure which) Niner RIP9 RDO. Both have Fox Pike forks, 1x11 drive trains, and dropper seats. The Niner is a little lighter with SRAM XO, but the Specialized (with SRAM X1) is newer. I get the impression both have about the same wear-and-tear.

Both bikes fit about the same (or I feel I can get used to both).

I appreciate your comments.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You need to spend more to get more, even in used bikes.

I just sold an XL Transitional TransAm for $900.

I'd rather spend a little more and get a bike that works as it's built than spend even more for upgrades or fixes.

Of the bikes you mentioned above, I'd go with the Specialized for geo and name rec. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a Fox Pike. Keep in mind that forks do need maintenance, so unless they have a recent rebuild... you will need to do it.

If I were looking to get a 29er for SLC riding, possible trips to St George, Moab, etc... I'd want a progressive geo. Think Canfield Nimble9, Kona Honzo, etc... These bikes cost more, but you get a better bike.

2k will get you everything you want in spades.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    sorry...rockshox pike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007