mtbr member
    May 2014

Buying a 'new' demo Scalpel Carbon 2

I'm going to look at a 2014 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2 at a LBS in a few days. It was one of their demo bikes that was used on the trails and the employee I spoke to on the phone said it was really nice but said "it's been ridden". Also mentioned the lefty was rebuilt, not out of need but because Cannondale's Maintenance says so. It's being sold as 'new' but for $3200 which is well below the new price tag. It does come with all the same warranty as if brand new. The shop is a reputable shop and has great reviews, so I'm inclined to believe they wouldn't sell garbage.

I'm not overly familiar w/ FS as I'm coming from years on a HT, so what are some things I need to look for as far as wear and tear other than the obvious chainrings / cogs? Any common components specific to Cannondale or the Scalpel that I should pay specific attention to?

Any help would be beneficial, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Since it's a demo bike I would take on trails to see how it rides and preferably on your home trails. Listen for creaking.
    It has a 71* ht angle from yesteryear. Cannondale and Spec are slowly updating models like the F-Si for Cannodale with slacker geo. This can lead to a more stable handling bike on downhills hitting bumps. I'd demo one of those to get a feel for the new geo.
    I'd ask about shock and pivot maintenance. It will need to be done sometime. Maybe get the next one of each included.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    71* ht angle from yesteryear.
    Absolute BS. Not everyone wants a long floppy front end on an XC bike and you may like to note that the worlds largest bike maker has never deviated from a 71* head angle and they are certainly not alone. If I was buying a new bike I'd be scrubbing everything that didn't have a 71* head angle, for good reason.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well, I can't say I've ridden one of the 68 or 68.5 HT angles but I don't ride too extremely technical downhills. I rode a 2013 Scalpel (aluminum) last year and it felt great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Since it's a demo bike I would take on trails to see how it rides and preferably on your home trails. Listen for creaking.
    It has a 71* ht angle from yesteryear. Cannondale and Spec are slowly updating models like the F-Si for Cannodale with slacker geo. This can lead to a more stable handling bike on downhills hitting bumps. I'd demo one of those to get a feel for the new geo.
    I'd ask about shock and pivot maintenance. It will need to be done sometime. Maybe get the next one of each included.
    If OP doesn't like that steep of a HT angle he can do the spacer trick which makes it a little slacker ~70 degrees

mtbr member
    Sorry, I shouldn't have said "absolute BS" as that was unfair and a poor way of expressing my point. I think we are seeing more change for change's sake to the point of ridiculous lately. Good luck with what ever you buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jboner36 View Post
    Well, I can't say I've ridden one of the 68 or 68.5 HT angles but I don't ride too extremely technical downhills. I rode a 2013 Scalpel (aluminum) last year and it felt great.
    Should be fine.
    But as you mention, you haven't ridden one.
    If you demo an F-Si you'll know what the replacement will be like and can make a long-term informed choice. The F29 will be changed too.
    The steering is still very quick with the 55mm offset of the Lefty. You gain stability in some of the more challenging conditions that extend the comfort zone of the bike.
    Wide rims can further extend it's range toward AM. Boost 148 would allow for a wider tire. Progress toward making these very light bikes more versatile happens. I wouldn't go back.
    Spec just released the slacker Stumpy FSR finally too. Every version down to the least expensive alloy model comes with at least 29mm inside dim rims.
    Last edited by eb1888; 05-17-2015 at 06:07 AM.

DFMBA.org
    Also ask about the shock service interval and when it may come due. I can't speak to the Monarch shocks but if they're anything like Fox they're readily serviceable with a simple o-ring/seal kit.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lefty fork needs once a year service. I would ask for several years of tune ups and fork services for free. Ride a trek super fly fs to compare. Buy the trek if your ride highlight is bombing down. Buy the cannondale if your highlight is smoKing your mates to the top.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've ridden Scalpels for that last 7 years. I think you won't regret anything if the warranty is really 100% in place and your treated as original owner. Cannondale has been really good honoring their warranty. The only thing I would recommend is to take a bright flashlight and go over the entire frame looking for any dings (check the chainstays, the shock mount tabs on the top tube, behind the seat tube) tiny cracks, scratches in odd places (that may be actually hairline cracks that tend to grow). The 2014 model has been the most trouble free frame for me. That said no frame has lasted longer than a year and a half without having to be warrantied and I would say a year on average. Checking it out thoroughly before buying it is a good idea so you don't end up waiting for a warrantied frame (which can take 4 weeks or so) not to mention that warrantied frames are often not the same color as your original.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymbo View Post
    That said no frame has lasted longer than a year and a half without having to be warrantied and I would say a year on average. Checking it out thoroughly before buying it is a good idea so you don't end up waiting for a warrantied frame (which can take 4 weeks or so) not to mention that warrantied frames are often not the same color as your original.
    This isn't very reassuring...I don't see how a company could be in business if they are constantly doing warranty work on their carbon frames every 1-1.5 years. If that's true, it speaks very low of their quality. None of my friends w/ carbons have had any issues with frames (Trek, Scott, Salsa).

Can anyone else chime in on this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jboner36 View Post
    This isn't very reassuring...I don't see how a company could be in business if they are constantly doing warranty work on their carbon frames every 1-1.5 years. If that's true, it speaks very low of their quality. None of my friends w/ carbons have had any issues with frames (Trek, Scott, Salsa).

Can anyone else chime in on this?
    I've ridden my Scalpel very hard for the last 2 years with no issues. There is a very low weight limit on this bike though, so if you're heavy it's not the bike for you

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Well, I finally stopped in to look at it and was a bit disappointed. Definitely looked used and the drivetrain was noisy. Also, after adjusting the air in Fox RTD, i noticed little change in ride quality. I was able to go over minor obstacles, 6-8" drops, etc, and didnt notice much. I left with no bike (but with $3k still in my pocket) and sadness. Guess ill keep waiting and looking for that right deal on a scalpel...maybe this off season? Thanks for all the responses guys!