mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Buying a new Bike

This is obviously a topic that comes up a lot, and I am looking for some updated information regarding decent bikes out there for my price range.
    I am looking to spend anywhere between $600-$1000 on a new ride. Obviously I need to ride the bikes and see what ones feel the best, but I am wondering if people can make recommendations for 3-4 bikes that are the best value for the money in this price range.
    The bike will be used for a variety of things (mostly for trails though, but still used to boot around town)

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Need more info. HT, full squish, or rigid. Etc., etc., etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm open to any suggestions. Originally figured HT would be the best route to go (due to price). I don't know much about Full suspension but I am open to suggestions on them as well

mtbr member
    In that price range you will get the best bang for the buck on any of the major bike companies: Spec'd, Trek, Cdale & Giant.

Take a look into their websites and on your price range post here what are the most that you like. That way we can help you to decide. In that price range you should shoot for a Hardtail (front susp. only).

I do remember my first bike was a 01' Trek 6500 ( It cost me $769) and it was a great bike for 13yrs. Last year the frame shows a hairline crack and Trek gave me a credit for $275 for a new bike. All those 4 companies I mentioned above have great warranties as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Add Scott to the list and find out your size by looking at the cockpit fit while you are riding the bike not just the standover. And look for bikes in your size from last year. They can be discounted(maybe 30-35%) for more bang. And negotiate with a manager only on price, salespeople are trained to say nothing can be done on the price. It's a sales technique. For trail riding look for a bike with rebound damping in the fork. Lesser models won't have it. Every salesperson knows which bikes do. Suntour forks with hydraulic lockout do have it. That's new and some salespeople won't know that. The cheapest Trek is a X-Cal 6. If you are over 230 look for a bike with an air fork to set the sag for your weight. The X-Cal 6 has a coil spring fork. An Airborne Seeker has a Rockshox Recon Gold air fork in your budget range. Online only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Take a look at Airborne, they have a Seeker and Guardian models that blow everyone out of the water when you line up the specs. You will have to order online and do small assembly (or take to a shop). I would recommend the Seeker overall in that price range.