mtbr member

Buying advice: Specialized Camber vs Cannondale Habit vs Trek Fuel EXa

Hi guys,

First all let me introduce myself since I am new to this forum: my name is Toni and I live in Luxembourg, that tiny little country in the middle of Europe, with lots of cycling paths and trails to be explored though.

I am trying to buy a new FS bike and I've narrowed down to three choices so far, based on current needs, specs, but also current deals at my LBS or on the Net, those would be:

- Specialized Camber FSR Comp Carbon 29 2017, actually retailing at 2.300 at my LBS, heavily discounted from 3.700 as launch price last year:

This is of course a carbon bike, somewhat between the XC and Trail spectrums (120mm/120mm) which would match more or less my rides, which happen to be mostly in loose and muddy terrain with lots of roots, with steep climbs followed but quick descents, neither of them really long, and not much rocky terrain. I do love the climbs as well so that would be important.

Pros: carbon, dropper, swat
    Cons: 2x drivetrain, no boost, not so modern geometry

- Cannondale Habit Carbon SE 2017, actually retailing at 2.300 at , heavily discounted as well.

Another carbon bike also in the same category as the Camber above, 120mm/130mm.

Pros: carbon, dropper, modern geometry?
    Cons: no boost, colour???

- And finally, a Trek Fuel EX 7 2017 retailing at 2.100 at my LBS, down from 2.500: Bike of the Year 2017: Trek Fuel EX 7 29 - MBR

Now, this in not a carbon but an ALU bike, significantly heavier than the two above (2-3 pounds I guess), and probably underspecced when compared to the ones above, however it is a more "modern" bike, in terms of geometry (slacker, boost). This 2017 model also sports a Shimano 2x drivetrain which would be the only drawback so far together with the weight for climbing.

Pros: carbon, boost, dropper, modern geometry
    Cons: specs, weight

Any advice?

Thanks in advance and best regards

mtbr member
    Look a little harder for an EX 8.
    Pro: RE:aktiv shock. 0.7lb lighter. Plus and 2.6" tire capable.

mtbr member
    Camber is a great bike on the trail and hard to beat... but note that it does not have boost spacing so it will not be worth it to move those parts to a new frame and wheel upgrades will be easy to find in the short term, very hard to find in the long term.