Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Buyer Beware - Giant Trance X 29er 0 marketing trick

Just picked up my Giant Trance X 29er 0 from my LBS and I was disappointed to see that the rear shock does NOT have the Kashima coating even though the Giant catalog and their marketing materials all show it with the coating (see photo below from Giant's website). My LBS called his Giant sales rep to see what the mix-up was. The Giant rep said "the catalog photo is wrong". He did note that the specs for the shock in the marketing materials do not say that it has Kashima coating.

My LBS was very cool about it and offered me a nice shock pump and quick chain link to cover the difference which I felt like was fair. However, I feel like Giant pulled a bait and switch. Maybe I wouldn't even notice the difference in the ride but when you plunk down that kind of $$ on a bike you expect to get what was advertised. Buyer beware.

Now, I'm going to erase that memory and go out and enjoy the bike. Out of the four 29'rs I rode the Trance X was the only one that felt right to me. I'll list them below in my order of preference:

#1 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    #2 Kona Satori (too hard to maneuver, felt longer and less responsive than the Trance)
    #3 Trek Superfly 100 FS (maneuverable but rode too rough for my taste)
    #4 Giant Anthem 29'r (felt very similar to the Superfly 100)

I'm coming from a 2010 Fezzari Nebo Peak 26'r that I loved (other than busting rear spokes all the time). My Nebo died a gruesome death on my buddies bike rack at the hands of a Dodge Ram (literally and figuratively) pickup truck's front bumper and grill. The truck rear ended us in traffic after skidding 45 feet. I would have been content with the Nebo for years to come but the Dodge Ram forced me to rethink options. The guys insurance company paid me full price.

I probably would have bought another Nebo but I didn't like that they don't offer a through-axle in the rear. Ironically, the Trance doesn't either. However, the Trance doesn't have pivot bearings near the wheel, so, it doesn't need a through axle to remain stiff. My guess is that customer perception will drive Giant into adding a rear through axle eventually whether its needed or not.

I like a plush ride, don't mind the extra weight, and most of my fun comes from downhills (mostly of the XCish variety) and small jumps so the Trance is a good fit.

I wanted to try out a Rumblefish and a Tallboy LT but was unable to get a demo to ride. After being very surprised how differently the bikes I rode felt, I'll be leery of buying a bike without riding it in the future. Its hard to say. I bought the Fezzari without riding it and it was an excellent fit and feel. I'll post a comparison review between the Nebo and the Trance after I get some miles on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buyer Beware - Giant Trance X 29er 0 marketing trick-trance_x_29er_0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dont those catalogs usually have a fine print that says "Photograph may differ from actual product."?
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wouldn't call it a marketing trick. The promotional materials are printed up long before the production frames are built. It's pretty common for some part specs to change between the press photos and the production release.

Formerly of Kent
    Every manufacturer has a line or two at the bottom of each model's page about how the spec might change throughout the model year.

This is pretty common knowledge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's foolish to assume what your getting by looking at a picture. For the fox ctd rear shock kashima coat is an option/upgrade. I don't see anywhere in the specs on the Trance X 29er 0 that specifies kashima coat so I wouldn't expect to see it on the actual bike.

MTB B'dos
    Ouch For the $$ they want for that model I'd EXPECT both the shock and fork to have Kashima, seriously, it's a $4k> bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Cassoulet forever !
    This is the case with the santa cruz tallboy LTc also...
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    you still got a deal.

Single Speed Junkie
    Still waiting to throw a leg over one for a test ride. Don't know if I'm going to buy full suspension this year or ride the SS exclusively for a while longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I wonder if you would even notice the difference in a blind test. But it does suck especially since your LBS was surprised as well but they sound like good people and glad they took care of you.

Not happy to hear your impression of the Satori since it is one of four bikes that I have narrowed it down to. The Trance does look like a really nice bike. Let us know how it rides.

get down!
    Yeah, I think I'd expect it on a bike that cost that much as well. Hey, at least you got $4 worth of accessories though ;-)
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Aroundoz... Don't rule the Satori out. Bikes that my friends love, and I hated. I highly recommend riding a model before you buy. I guess I got lucky with my first bike, the Fezzari, since it felt great. I was surprised how different the different models actually feel..

About showing Kashima then delivering standard, let's just say it's probably safe to say it RARELY, if ever happens the other direction. The website should either use a different picture or they should note the discrepancy. Its dishonest to keep a bait and switch on the site.

And yes, my LBS took the hit for Giant's error. Big props to Clarksville Schwinn near Louisville KY.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise View Post
    Aroundoz... Don't rule the Satori out. Bikes that my friends love, and I hated. I highly recommend riding a model before you buy. I guess I got lucky with my first bike, the Fezzari, since it felt great. I was surprised how different the different models actually feel..

About showing Kashima then delivering standard, let's just say it's probably safe to say it RARELY, if ever happens the other direction. The website should either use a different picture or they should note the discrepancy. Its dishonest to keep a bait and switch on the site.

And yes, my LBS took the hit for Giant's error. Big props to Clarksville Schwinn near Louisville KY.
    It is not an error. The catalogs come out or need to produced well before the product comes out. So should Giant re-do the catalog when the correct shock comes out then pass the extra cost onto the Buyer? It has been like this ever since bike companies made catalogs. Bet you can find a problem in every single brand of bikes catalog. The descriptions are added last at the rear of the catalog and even then they can substitute parts as needed or available.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    It is not an error. The catalogs come out or need to produced well before the product comes out. So should Giant re-do the catalog when the correct shock comes out then pass the extra cost onto the Buyer?
    yeah, but, it would have taken about 10 minutes to photoshop the shock to look like the one he actually got and upload it to the online catalog. why not be accurate?

TR
    Angry bunny

Struggling to understand why you think that say 4 square inches of Kashima coating is so important.

Big Boy
    I don't think they should have advertised it on the website like that either, but didn't you look at the bike on the showroom floor/test ride it. The best way to tell what kind of bike and parts you are getting is to look between your legs when you are test riding it.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Did they just switch the picture on there website? No kashima online anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Honestly, I'm surprised you still even bought the bike given that you cared about Kash coat. I guess a nice shock pump and a chain link is all it takes to buy some people off. I'm glad you managed to somehow put it in the past.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    I don't think they should have advertised it on the website like that either, but didn't you look at the bike on the showroom floor/test ride it. The best way to tell what kind of bike and parts you are getting is to look between your legs when you are test riding it.
    This.

mtbr member
    I rode an x1 version before I ordered the X0. The X1 pictures do not show the Kashima coating. The sales guy touted the Kashima coating on the X0. He was fooled by the picture too.

Short-Change-Hero
    Think I agree with most here that looking at the photo and assuming that is what is on the bike is pretty naive. I read the specs on everything to ensure that I know what I am paying for, but very cool that the LBS was on your side and helped you out. That is the making of a good shop right there and good CS.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have seen this with many bikes.
    They print the promotional materials prior to production and sometimes the components are slightly different. You need to read the what the specs are prior to purchase, not just look at the pictures.

mtbr member
    It was nice of your lbs to "throw" in the shock pump that already comes with the bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    It was nice of your lbs to "throw" in the shock pump that already comes with the bike...
    x2

Every Giant bike used to come with a shockpump if needed for the suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise View Post
    I rode an x1 version before I ordered the X0. The X1 pictures do not show the Kashima coating. The sales guy touted the Kashima coating on the X0. He was fooled by the picture too.
    Sounds like the saels guy at the shop dropped the ball if he touted the Kashima coating. Might be why the LBS "upgraded" him to the Kashima coated shock. If the sales guy "fell" for it as well I'd place the blame on the LBS for not making sure their sales staff knew what they were talking about. Bad LBS!
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast