mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Building a new Open 0-1.0

Hey guys, got my hands on a nice Open frame and am in the process of building it up with some new and some slightly used parts, e.g. some Valor wheels and shimano xtr parts. I was originally intending on putting a Sid WC fork on it, but came across a new Reba RL fork for a ridiculous low price. I scoured the forums and it seems the Reba might just be worth the try. Compared to the WC a little bit heavier, not much, perhaps a bit stiffer, and not as guchi as a carbonated fork, but for a total price that comes out to less than 20% of the cost of the WC my sensibility towards value is kicking in and is reeling the overall price of this build back into a low earth orbit.

So, any thoughts about my mixing a bargain Reba with my new 1.0? All the other bits are top shelf btw. Lots of posts on upgrading the damping cartridge, so interested in learning more about that too. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd do some more research and consider a Recon Gold. It doesn't have the solo air slot.
    You can upgrade the air piston assembly to a dual air SID A and the damper to a SID with DIG valve.
    I'd also get the air cap/token kit for it about $35.
    A better performing RS fork then you can buy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well the Reba came in and guesswork what wrong dropouts. Argh....so I call the dealer and they tell me that so sorry, all sold out and give me the option of a 2014 sid xx, or a new2015 Fox 32 float for a a few bucks more, with credits it is damn near a wash, Fox is on the way stealth model.