mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Building a highball- which of these would you use??

I overdid it on buying components for the 29er Santa Cruz Highball carbon hardtail build up and I now have about 15 boxes in my garage. SO, what should I keep and what should I sell??? Its a typical weekend XC bike, 200lb rider. Your input is appreciated: ROCK SHOX SID RCT3 OR FOX 32 FLOAT 29 CTD????----------EASTON EA 70 XCT WHEELS OR WTB Frequency Team i19 TCS W/ DT 350 HUBS ( I want to run tubeless)---------SHIMANO XT BRAKES OR HAYES PRIME PRO???-----------EASTON EC90 SEATPOST OR THOMSON ELITE??

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If it were me I'd run the SID fork. I've been really impressed with my Rock Shox fork and I swore by Fox forks up until recently. I'd keep the Easton wheels. I can't speak for Hayes brakes but Shimano brakes are top notch and feel great. Many people swear by 'em. I've always been a fan of Thomson stuff, that's what I've always ran on my mtb. Are they different as far as setback? If so I'd keep them both around to see which one was a better fit.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member extraordinair
    The fox fork, Frequency wheels, XT brakes, and thomson post were all part of the stock SPX package of my 2012 tallboy. I have zero regrets and zero desire to upgrade anything. YMMV
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Man, 1st world issues I tell ya!

Id keep the SID fork, WTB wheels, XT brakes, Thomson post. I have i23/hopes, otherwise use all the other parts myself too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Being 200lbs myself and having had the Frequency wheels that came on my TBc, I can't recommend them personally.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Man, 1st world issues I tell ya!

Id keep the SID fork, WTB wheels, XT brakes, Thomson post. I have i23/hopes, otherwise use all the other parts myself too.
    I like your style. This would be my build as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I weight about 220 with gear and my Tallboy C had the SPX kit. I had the WTB i19 wheels and I jumped them, I also had the DT350 hubs, these wheels were solid. Easton wheels, well I will caution you about the hubs, I'm not sure they have taken care of their problematic hubs, so for me DT350's are faithfuls all the way tried and true. Fox vs RS, depends if you are going for weight or not. Both are high end forks, one weighs a lot less and one weights more. I have used both and for the price they are about the same price points, they are both very very reliable. I guess you could make a choice on which one looks best on you Highball. For brakes, I say XT brakes all day, they are the best at their price point, weight, reliability, and they are silent. They'll stop you on a dime, and they don't sound like a turkey coming down the mountain (I hate that sound personally). This is all IMO...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    all your components are nice. but for the highball c, i would install the sid, easton wheels, xt brakes and easton post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Many thanks for the opinions on everything. Unless I am missing something, aren't the weights of the two forks very close? I weighed the SID today and including the 15mm thru axle it came at 1580g. I am assuming the Fox will come in around 1475g or so? I hope to weigh it this week...

In regards to the wheels, I am leaning toward the Eastons as they don't require any rim tape like the WTB's do (which I kinda like). Also, if I went with the Easton wheels, I would complete the Easton family of EC90 stem, EC90 handlebar and EC90 seatpost too)

Sounds like XT brakes are the way to go. One question though, don't the XT rotors use a special lock ring type assembly (rather than a 6 bolt rotor) and do you have to have special hubs to use the XT rotors?