Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Build thread: On One Scandal 29er

Humor me with my humble build.
    (or just go to the next thread)

Goal: Versatile, durable, light(ish), flickable, easy climbing hardtail 29er
    Budget

So I went back and forth on 650 or 29er and decided to go 29er to take advantage of future availability of awesome take-offs and the fact I just don't have freeflowing cash to be an 'early adopter' of a new size. May build a 26r/27.5f SS in the future but we'll see.

I could have bought new but there was always a compromise with components at my $1200 price level.
    Not that I'm buying exotic top shelf parts either but I wanted to finally get something nice for myself.

I'm more of a builder so decided that for the same money I could build a comparable bike at $1200 and it would be uniquely mine. There's just something satisfying about riding a bike I've built (All of mine so far)

HAd to sell two mountain bikes, my surly crosscheck SS and a Track bike to fund this build. I plan to ride it hard!

Frame: On One Scandal 29er V2 swapout dropouts (slot and vertical)
    Fork: X-Fusion Slide RL2 air, remote lockout
    Components: Shimano SLX 3x10 built 2x10
    Brakes: Shimano Deore hydro, 180f, 160r centerlock (had them)
    Wheels: SLX hubs, 23mm wide tubeless ready rims.
    Seatpost: Easton 70 Carbon fiber 27.2 (deaded vibration?)
    Stem and bars: TBD - have Answer ProTaper 685 wide risers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build thread: On One Scandal 29er-002.jpg  

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    Looks promising,
    SLX is a solid kit and is far from basic entry level.
    As of the on-one geometry i have only good things to say about it.
    A word of advice, if you had those shimano brakes for a while and some of it in storage,
    I would consider bleeding them and getting some new pads to get the most out of them.

Enjoy them!
    TAL

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame! Curious what your thoughts are on those brakes after a few rides.

mtbr member
    I did bleed the brakes not too long ago and didn't really use them. I may need to adjust the length of the lines so hopefully all goes well. I need to get the little tool that presses that end piece into the hose.
    Hoping they do a decent job as I'm reaching the limit of my budget. But maybe a set of SLX brakes will be an upgrade in a year or so.
    Good advice on the pads. I figured I'd lightly scuff the rotors as well.

Wheels are coming in today UPS. I need to get tires and am planning tubeless. I've yet to get a flat in the areas I ride with tubes and hearing the stories of burping tubeless and trouble changing on the trail I'm not sure.

Ride and Smile suckas
    Sounds good, can't wait to see it built up.
    what hoops and tires are you going with?
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.snemba.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome, looking forward to seeing this built.

mtbr member
    Looks like an ideal budget build, doesn't break the bank, decently light components, and (looks like) solid performance! A word of advice with the brakes:CRC has the 596 deores (SLX servo cam lever with deore calipers essentially) for fifty something a piece!

mtbr member
    Wheels got here today, and I'm pleased. Sun Ringle Inferno 23 rims on SLX centerlock hubs and they are as light as my bombproof CX wheels (somewhat heavy for road) at about 2000 ish (I think).

Got them from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com for $200 tax and ship incl.

As for tires... still undecided but I'll probably get something recommended from Jensonusa.com (local) and I think Ill splurge on Race Face Atlas bars.

Because green is the new red.

mtbr member
    Spent more money today, so much for my budget, but I had to finish the build:

Race Face Atlas wide bars anodized green.
    Smoked clear braided shift cable housings.
    WTB Bronson tubeless tires f/r
    Stans stems and tape too.
    Odi lockon grips with green ano collars

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    CRC has the 596 deores (SLX servo cam lever with deore calipers essentially) for fifty something a piece!
    Who is CRC? I would love to dump the BB7's on my Scandal...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Who is CRC? I would love to dump the BB7's on my Scandal...
    Bicycles | Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | MTB Bikes | Bike Parts | Bike Frames | Road Frames | MTB Frames

mtbr member
    May 2005

wiggle too

As long as you're checking CRC, might as well scope out wiggle.com | Cycle | Run | Swim | Tri-Sports & Bike Shop as well.

Check the "where are the best deals" section for coupons.

Just Ride!
    All appear to be RH front brake systems, so I will have to check the US for deals.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Read the Q&A under the listings on Wiggle. They address that issue.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here are the answers posted when someone asked if they could be switched from right to left:

Yes, it's very easy to do. If you're lucky, you won't even have to bleed the brakes after. I have done this for SLX, XT and Saint models of the Shimano brakes.
    2 months, 1 week ago
    PinkRobeCalgary, AB

I can confirm that to swap the front from the right to the left you will need to remove the hoses and refit them to the other lever. I hope this help.
    2 months, 2 weeks ago

mtbr member
    Nice looking build. I've considered a scandal in the past, let us know how it rides!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    All appear to be RH front brake systems, so I will have to check the US for deals.
    Got some with UK config (L and R swapped) not too long ago. The hoses are crazy long so you'll probably have to shorten them anyway. While shortening just swap caliper/hose section with the other lever and you are good to go. Of course, this assumes you buy a F + R pair.

Get out of town!
    Good luck with your build. My Scandal frame and On one fork should arrive tomorrow!
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

mtbr member
    Enjoy the build...

I ran a Scandal 29er all last year as my bikepacking bike.

It's a versatile frame with swappable dropouts and rack mounts and the price is right...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    No middle build pics but after a few additional runs to Jenson USA I have all that I need to get this on the trail. Finished the basic build today, need to add the chain, adjust the brakes and derailleurs, take the tubes out and change to tubeless, then dial in the bars and stem height.
    Went ahead and used a CF seatpost I had around, I'll see how it does at that angle. I may swap to the RaceFace 27.2 alloy I bought but hoping CF flex helps with the hardtail. Can't afford a nice dropper just yet.

I have an SS chainring to run it 1x10 but thought it best to go 2x10 on all my trails and see how it goes, but 1x10 sounds a lot better to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build thread: On One Scandal 29er-image05052013163531.jpg  

Build thread: On One Scandal 29er-image05052013163553.jpg  

Build thread: On One Scandal 29er-image05052013163615.jpg  

mtbr member
    worked a few bugs out, lowered the stem, may just slam it and keep a few spacers on top then cut the excess. Took it out and ran it twice now.

Impressions:
    Lightweight as far as I'm concerned. It's got a sturdy feel to the whole bike and with the fork locked out it really leaps forward on the climbs.
    I have yet to use the 24t small front ring. I'll probably go to 1x10 in the future but it doesn't hurt to leave it 2x10 for bailout gears at this point. Minimal weight savings either way and it shifts perfectly.
    The rear has grip and when the front gets light on a steep climb I can just stand and power up it like a 'dozer. I'm still getting a feel for the front end, still not comfortable really railing it over in the corners (but I have no skill so no surprise there).
    I still may like some more slack in the front to help me on the descents but again, minimal skills here.

Still feels tall to me compared to the 26er and doesn't feel as tossable but its closer than some of the bikes I've demo'd.
    I'm still playing with setup and pressures in the tires and fork but overall I really like it.

I'm extremely pleased to have been able to build a bike for $1200 that is equal to and often better than what I could have bought ready to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build thread: On One Scandal 29er-969484_10152856962375655_695182901_n%5B1%5D.jpg  

dvn
    mtbr member
    I have been considering this frame as a replacement for my steel hardtail. I have read that BB7's won't work on the V2 frame. Can anyone confirm this?
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tinkering with build plans myself and appreciate this thread. If I go 1x10, then would that be as simple as deleting the front der, shifter, cable, and the larger chain-ring??

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    I have been considering this frame as a replacement for my steel hardtail. I have read that BB7's won't work on the V2 frame. Can anyone confirm this?
    I ran them on my geared Scandal V2 for almost a year before switching over to a set of much better XT brakes. You will just need to run a button head allen on the cable clamp for the needed clearance.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    I originally went the BB7 route on my Scandal. I quickly found clearance to be a problem with a 60mm rotor. I think that if you were to jump to a larger rotor 185 (Avid) then they may work. I chose to steal from my other bike and put hydros on until recently when I added XT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast