Thread: Budget Cross

mtbr member

Budget Cross

I was just checking out the Gravity Zilla on the Bikes direct website. Looks like a cheap way to try out the cross thing. The frameset is on Bikeisland for $199 and I'm thinking about putting one together with some extra parts.

Gravity Zilla

CS2
    mtbr member
    Looks interesting. The complete bike is the only way to get orange though.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

workin' it Administrator
    limited to 1.75 tires though so not a full monster cross as I though those could take a full 29er tire.
    Try this: HTFU

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Not a fan of the sway in the top tube, kinda reminds me of an old horse ready for retirement.

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Straight up weird listing on the link provided above.

I like the look of the frame with the swooping top tube.

But things like:

"even run full on 1.75″ 29er rubber" When was the last time you saw a "full on" 29 x 1.75" tire?

and

"Compare to Vassago Fisticuff or VooDoo Nakisi or On One Inbred" the Inbred? Seriously???

"Many other bikes have only 16 gears, the Gravity has a much wider range with 27 gears" Number of gears does necessarily not = wider range.

"WTB SPEEDDISC, 29x32H ALLOY BLACK, Double Wall aluminum with machined brake track" Really? Machined brake track you say???

And the size chart? A 43cm bike with an ETT of 545.4mm???

I may be interested in playing around with the frame, but the bike knowledge of the person who wrote the spec sheet is horrible.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I agree tire size is a problem if you want monster cross vs just cross. My biggest concern though is the lack of geometry info. I'm going to try to find out a little more before I buy.

mtbr member
    Only bringing this up again because BD has this frameset on sale for $134 shipped, today only.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bike framesets - Gravity Liberty Framesets | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatcho View Post
    Only bringing this up again because BD has this frameset on sale for $134 shipped, today only.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bike framesets - Gravity Liberty Framesets | Save up to 60% off new road bikes
    Wow, that's a tempting offer. At that price it doesn't seem worth NOT trying. I agree the sizing chart is weird though. Even if you ignore the weirder numbers, the suggested ETT length seems long for the rider heights doesn't it?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I agree the sizing chart is weird though. Even if you ignore the weirder numbers, the suggested ETT length seems long for the rider heights doesn't it?

Sizing is odd for sure.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Sizing is odd for sure.
    OK, I ride a 56 road bike and a 17.5" - 18" MTB. That's a 50CM or about 19" in the Gravity. Has anyone actually bought one to check?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The geometry table isn't real complete but it doesn't look odd to me. At my height they recommend a 55.5 cm frame which has a 58.3cm top tube. Without the seat tube angle it's hard to know exactly what that means, but assuming it's around 72 degrees that would be a good fit for me.

The sizing is for a "compact" frame, meaning that the top tube slopes. I ride a 58cm road bike measured with a horizontal top tube, so a 55.5cm seems completely fine.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatcho View Post
    I was just checking out the Gravity Zilla on the Bikes direct website. Looks like a cheap way to try out the cross thing. The frameset is on Bikeisland for $199 and I'm thinking about putting one together with some extra parts.

Gravity Zilla
    They have complete bike on sale for $499 shipped. Unless you have a well stocked parts bin it's going to tough to beat the price. Good luck

U sayin' Bolt ?
    If you are dying to try it, do !.. Otherwise you could certainly do better in terms of quality per dollar buying sight-unseen from ebay ..

stay cool deals are always and everywhere

Oops thread is old! Frame probably broke by now

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone try this bike out yet to give it a real review. I suspect that it is exactly what you pay for, but I'm looking for something cheap to use on the road/commutes/less technical dirt rides.

I have an old frame that would work well enough for building a monstercross commuter, but the amount of money I'd spend on the drops and sti's (plus the other odds and ends) would be nearly the price of a complete bike.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've owned a Gravity Zilla Monster for a few months now and have used it mainly for commuting to/from work. I've also ventured into using it on some of the local mountain bike trails. The only thing I can compare it to is a 2006 Trek 4300 that I owned and had been using to ride the local mountain bike trails and in itself is a entry-level mountain bike - which is VERY heavy.

The main difference for me is that since it lacks any suspension, I take the downhills a bit slowly and have to keep my eyes pealed - and rode on the tops. The uphills were easier on the Zilla due to it being lighter than the Trek I had and also going up on drop-bars changed my positioning enough that I felt more comfortable (eliminating the front-wheel lift). I'm 6'0" and 250lbs so I'm not a light rider and the rims survived running over small rocks, tree roots, and the occasional jump.

On my last mountain biking adventure I reached a rest stop after a mile of on a steep climb (Whiting Ranch in SoCal). One of the random guys there mentioned to me that he'd "be embarrassed to ride" a bike like mine there. Ouch. Anyway, I didn't fall off and I still had fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zillamx View Post
    On my last mountain biking adventure I reached a rest stop after a mile of on a steep climb (Whiting Ranch in SoCal). One of the random guys there mentioned to me that he'd "be embarrassed to ride" a bike like mine there. Ouch. Anyway, I didn't fall off and I still had fun.
    Tooo many bike snobs here in OC. Ride what you want, eff the rest!