mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Broken Chainstay 2012 Epic Comp 29

Hey all,

Just an update, I am on my third rear mini brain shock and now my rear swing arm does this. Third ride since new shock!

Guess it's off to my local Specialized center again. They have replaced everthing in a timely manner when broken before, including a seatpost and two brain shocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It happens, every brand of bike breaks. Glad to hear they are taking care of you.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Just keep breaking stuff till they give you a carbon frame
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    put the fork down fatty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That'll buff out!!

mtbr member
    We've never seen that happen before. Yours is the first.

mtbr member
    Looks flexy.

mtbr member
    Crazy glue and duct tape.. ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Oh snap!!

a2t
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Interesting. I recently I stopped on a trail to shoot the breeze with a group of 3 guys, all on Epics. Two of the three had experienced the EXACT same break in the past, and the third guy had just snapped his in the same spot on a very mellow climb. That is why they were stopped.

One of the gentlemen was on his third rear triangle. He said specialized seemed well aware of the issue and had a replacement to him extremely fast. No cost to him, of course.

Not good from a design perspective, but at least they are taking care of folks quickly.

Conversely, one of my riding buddies has a 2012 epic and sometimes romps that thing like an all mountain rig, his is just fine.

a2t
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    good info, thanks. as follow up spesh covering it 100%, they had the repl. in stock and shipped to my LBS. They are installing now, i think im on hook for the labor though.

i guess i cant complain being im not even orig owner, so technically spesh didnt have to cover.

and the tech at the shop took 1 look at mine and said "yep, seen that before". all they sell is speshy so they pretty much have seen it all.

still wonder why the extra weld in that section, couldnt it have been 1 piece like the other side ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yesterday it was my second broken chainstay. I have a epic carbon 2012 26''. I made exchange the bearings all the time and i have no idea why this happens. Because I'm the second oner I have no warranty, and the chainstay costs 190€.
    But I'm sure that my next bike won't be a specialized.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My chain stay cracked this past Saturday. I'm hoping for a quick turn around. I have a 2011 Epic comp 29er, 4 years old.

transmitter~receiver
    Let me guess... 12' jump root to root?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    just found out my chainstay on my 2010 epic 29er is cracked. LBS checked with specialized and they don't make that part anymore. what did you find out drafter???

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Miles of mild XC jumps and drops, and it was only a small 12 inch drop that ended up breaking the chainstay. Specialized said that they would replace the chainstay, and LBS says $85 to put it on. I called Spec and they said they don't pay labor. Oh well. They will be giving me a black one, which I wasn't happy about so Spec offered to replace the whole rear triangle in full black- no thanks, so I'm sticking with just the black chainstay and $85 of labor charges. I was hoping that Spec wouldn't have the parts any longer and would offer up a new 2015 frame!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    that's interesting. they tell me the 2010 and 2011 are the same frame. and my LBS told me that spec had no more of these chain stays in stock. guess i'll have to do more investigating.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Here's another one...

Well, it looks like I've joined the Epic 29er cracked chain stay club. Happened back on Oct. 5th riding the Don on my usual Wed. jaunt with the buddies. Nothing dramatic, just the usual ups and downs when I noticed that my front derailleur cage was rubbing on my chainring. Thought it was a loose bolt or something, but closer inspection found the chain stay cracked at the weld. To be fair, I am a clydesdale rider, but my wheels stay on the ground 99% of the time so I'm at a loss how this could have happened. This bike has handled everything from Ellicotville root-beds to Kolapore rock gardens with aplomb. My old Cannondale did as well, for a dozen years and it never broke.

So I took the bike into Sporting Life for warranty repair. It's been 3 weeks so far and from what I've been told, the Specialized rep has still not come by to see the frame and authorize a replacement. I'm not impressed. I know it's end of season and I do have a fat bike to ride in the meantime, but that is shitty service. I read this thread and folks say that Specialized took care of them quickly. That's not being my experience so far. I'm giving them another week then getting more vocal on other social media. That's what it takes these days I guess.

Anyone else have trouble with Specialized warranties here in Canada?

Cheers,

CC

Broken Chainstay 2012 Epic Comp 29-img_1340.jpg