mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?

Anyone familiar with this new line of bikes by Breezer? I've been looking at them for a while now, and haven't seen a lot of reviews on this new line by Joe Breeze. They have an M-link suspension and 120mm travel front and rear. They look interesting, but not that much info. out there.
    Here's the link for the Supercell Pro: Breezer Bikes - Supercell Pro - Bike Overview

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No experience with that piticular frame. Have ridden others like it. Single pivot with a motorcycle link. Not very new other than the forward pivot design.

they claim it will out climb a hardtail. Highly unlikely. That kind of advertising spells desperation to sell, IMO....

mtbr member
    Some suspensions really are so good that they climb better than hard tails under some circumstances. It's a traction thing. As for the Supercell, the M-Link that it uses is the same as the Repack, which has been raved about far and wide. I have a local Breezer dealer who won't carry either bike though, otherwise I'd have ridden both of them by now. My gut says these bikes are probably both very good. I've actually recommended the Supercell to a friend who has a riding style suited to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Some suspensions really are so good that they climb better than hard tails under some circumstances. It's a traction thing. As for the Supercell, the M-Link that it uses is the same as the Repack, which has been raved about far and wide. I have a local Breezer dealer who won't carry either bike though, otherwise I'd have ridden both of them by now. My gut says these bikes are probably both very good. I've actually recommended the Supercell to a friend who has a riding style suited to it.

maybe you live in another reality where even if you locked out the rear shock (maximum efficiency) the extra weight of a suspension frame does not make itt harder to climb. Otherwise having the frame absorb pedal stroke is "less" efficient.

The motolink just helps to keep the suspension inline and does not aid in efficiency.

I have ridden all the suspension designs and the ones like niner uses are the most effective, but still not better than a hardtail for climbing.

This frames seems outdated and just a bunch of hype. Why go with old tech when better cheaper frames are readily available?

mtbr member
    Never bothered to lock out the rear shock on a bike. Honestly, I personally ride both a rigid SS and Giant Anthem (maybe that's one of the better cheaper frames you refer to?) and understand fairly well how various forms of suspension work. That said, some forms of suspension are now so good that there simply isn't enough disadvantage to running them in terms of power sapping to offset that added traction. Will a suspension bike ever climb as Efficiently as a rigid bike? No. Does Efficient necessarily equal better? No. There are climbs where the traction of a FS bike out weighs (no pun intended) the efficiency of a rigid bike.

So, unless you pedal in such a way that you sink a couple inches in the travel of your bike every stroke, or you're riding anything specialized makes, I think a FS bike CAN climb better than a hard tail.

Want proof? Watch a world cup XCO race. A lot of the men now ride FS bikes, because they don't hurt them on the climbs or the descents.

mtbr member
    I'm getting my girlfriend a 2014 Breezer Storm comp 29" the build quality on the breezer bikes are awesome and the price for the bikes isn't really all that bad. I have ridden on a few breezer bikes and they handle pretty nice.