Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?

Anyone familiar with this new line of bikes by Breezer? I've been looking at them for a while now, and haven't seen a lot of reviews on this new line by Joe Breeze. They have an M-link suspension and 120mm travel front and rear. They look interesting, but not that much info. out there.
    Here's the link for the Supercell Pro: Breezer Bikes - Supercell Pro - Bike Overview

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No experience with that piticular frame. Have ridden others like it. Single pivot with a motorcycle link. Not very new other than the forward pivot design.

they claim it will out climb a hardtail. Highly unlikely. That kind of advertising spells desperation to sell, IMO....

WillWorkForTrail
    Some suspensions really are so good that they climb better than hard tails under some circumstances. It's a traction thing. As for the Supercell, the M-Link that it uses is the same as the Repack, which has been raved about far and wide. I have a local Breezer dealer who won't carry either bike though, otherwise I'd have ridden both of them by now. My gut says these bikes are probably both very good. I've actually recommended the Supercell to a friend who has a riding style suited to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Some suspensions really are so good that they climb better than hard tails under some circumstances. It's a traction thing. As for the Supercell, the M-Link that it uses is the same as the Repack, which has been raved about far and wide. I have a local Breezer dealer who won't carry either bike though, otherwise I'd have ridden both of them by now. My gut says these bikes are probably both very good. I've actually recommended the Supercell to a friend who has a riding style suited to it.

maybe you live in another reality where even if you locked out the rear shock (maximum efficiency) the extra weight of a suspension frame does not make itt harder to climb. Otherwise having the frame absorb pedal stroke is "less" efficient.

The motolink just helps to keep the suspension inline and does not aid in efficiency.

I have ridden all the suspension designs and the ones like niner uses are the most effective, but still not better than a hardtail for climbing.

This frames seems outdated and just a bunch of hype. Why go with old tech when better cheaper frames are readily available?

WillWorkForTrail
    Never bothered to lock out the rear shock on a bike. Honestly, I personally ride both a rigid SS and Giant Anthem (maybe that's one of the better cheaper frames you refer to?) and understand fairly well how various forms of suspension work. That said, some forms of suspension are now so good that there simply isn't enough disadvantage to running them in terms of power sapping to offset that added traction. Will a suspension bike ever climb as Efficiently as a rigid bike? No. Does Efficient necessarily equal better? No. There are climbs where the traction of a FS bike out weighs (no pun intended) the efficiency of a rigid bike.

So, unless you pedal in such a way that you sink a couple inches in the travel of your bike every stroke, or you're riding anything specialized makes, I think a FS bike CAN climb better than a hard tail.

Want proof? Watch a world cup XCO race. A lot of the men now ride FS bikes, because they don't hurt them on the climbs or the descents.

mtbr member
    I'm getting my girlfriend a 2014 Breezer Storm comp 29" the build quality on the breezer bikes are awesome and the price for the bikes isn't really all that bad. I have ridden on a few breezer bikes and they handle pretty nice.

Just Ride!
    2014 prices are starting to look very tempting. Any owner feedback and ride reports?

Speed Thrills
    Those people who think that rear suspension slows you down in a climb should try riding a hardtail motorcross bike up a bumpy hill. When you hit a solid object (root, rock, rut) something has to give. It can either be the suspension or the rider. Suspension works uphill for the same reason you have air filled tires and not solid rubber ones. (yes, that has been tried). Sure, a fully suspended bike will likely weigh a little more than a comparable hard tail but over time you should be rewarded with less fatigue and more energy.
    I've got another test for you. Inflate your hardtail tires to their max, probably 55-70 psi, and go ride your favorite off-road trail. You just removed most of the suspension from your bike and I promise you won't think that is a faster or more efficient way to ride.
    Today's bicycle suspension technology works really well. You may want less travel in the climbs than on a rough descent but unless you're riding up a paved hill, suspension is going to help you more than it hurts you.

I too am looking at the falling prices of the 2014 Supercell and am tempted to grab one.

mtbr member
    I'm just a heartbeat away from pulling the trigger on a Supercell. I've read nothing but great things from those that have ridden/tested the bike, but it's still quite a leap of faith to buy one without ever have seen it much less ridden it.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I spent a month or so with the Supercell Team we were testing and liked it a lot. As a straight-up 120mm trailbike, they are not lightweight, but ride lighter than they are IMHO. For me, a dropper post is a no-brainer on the Supercell.

As much as I enjoyed riding the Supercell, buying any bike sight unseen (and not having at least pedaled one around), that costs as much as they do, is a tough one to recommend.

An FS that can out-climb a hardtail (especially in a given situation), and an FS being more efficient than a hardtail are two different things.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by elliott436 View Post
    I'm getting my girlfriend a 2014 Breezer Storm comp 29" the build quality on the breezer bikes are awesome and the price for the bikes isn't really all that bad. I have ridden on a few breezer bikes and they handle pretty nice.
    Has she tested it and liked it?
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    2014 prices are starting to look very tempting. Any owner feedback and ride reports?
    Here is a review on a german site: Google Translate

mtbr member
    Welp... I've done it now, I puled the trigger last night on a Supercell Expert from pricepoint. I was considering building up a frame I have as a 650B, but the components list was getting as expensive as the discounted Breezer price. At $1399 for the Supercell I decided to go for it.

I will try to document my experience with the Pricepoint purchase, and I'll provide a non-expert review of the Supercell Expert once I get it set up and put a few miles on it.

Speed Thrills

Cool-blue Rhythm Sweet. I'll bet you'll be happy as a pig in poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    Welp... I've done it now, I puled the trigger last night on a Supercell Expert from pricepoint. I was considering building up a frame I have as a 650B, but the components list was getting as expensive as the discounted Breezer price. At $1399 for the Supercell I decided to go for it.

I will try to document my experience with the Pricepoint purchase, and I'll provide a non-expert review of the Supercell Expert once I get it set up and put a few miles on it.

Please update this post ASAP. I may grab one myself. Actually considering the Team. So much bang for the buck right now. I'm really curious how much weight can be dropped by swapping out all those Oval cockpit components for carbon. (bars, stem, seatpost) lighter saddle and go tubeless. I can probably drop 6-8 oz in the cockpit, 6-8 on the post and another 10-14 oz by dropping the tubes. All that totals 22-36 oz or 1.3-2.2 pounds! Sure, it would take a few dollars but if the only complaint about the bike it that's it's a couple pounds too heavy, that could be remedied over time with a few easy upgrades.

Truth is, most of the FS trail bikes I've been looking at are in the 27-31 lb range anyway so while this is at the top of the range, it's not completely unreasonable for a trail bike with 120 mm of travel.

Really looking forward to your review Doug.
    Last edited by brcjacks; 05-20-2015 at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    The weight on the scale is the only real knock I've heard on these as well, but in reviews it's always pointed out that they ride "light". We'll see how that goes. I'm riding for fun and exercise anyway and don't really care about a pound or so...

I definitely want to get a review posted on MTBR since there really isn't much info out there on the new FS Breezer bikes, I think it will be helpful to do a review on a base model as well.

The prices are very good on the '14's at Pricepoint, I was afraid I might miss the discounts if I dragged my feet, but when I spoke to them on the phone a couple of days ago I got the impression that the discount was not going away anytime soon. They had a free shipping deal on all bikes over $1500 that ended Sunday which would have helped with a Team or Pro purchase.

A check of Pricepoint.com shows my order "in warehouse" so it may ship today. My previous pricepoint orders arrived very quickly since I'm in central CA. I should be able to give an initial impression soon!

mtbr member

Pigs in poop got nothing on me...

Teaser here - More of an un-boxing at this point, hoping to get a ride on it Saturday.

So Pricepoint didn't fool around. Late night order including a few bits in addition to the bike, and it was showing shipped within an hour of my last post yeaterday morning. Since I'm in central CA it was essentially overnight shipping, the bike was at my house this afternoon!

They put the bike box into another heavy duty box with my tubes and other items, very well packaged.

I swapped the front brake to the right side and put it all together, that always fouls up the cable runs a bit. I like the layout, I'll need to tweek the cockpit a little more of course but it's close. It has a nice set of cable clamps running along the downtube, and an extra set of cable guides for a dropper post.

Assembled:

It's a pretty bike, and feels good right away just putzing around the driveway. Considerably wider bars than I'm used to, but it feels very nimble and confidence inspiring on the obstacles I've tried in the "yard", including a down hill 2ish foot drop to the flat. I have not been on a 29er before and I was a little concerned that it would feel sluggish even though the Breezer propaganda talks a lot about getting the geometry right to optimize the handling. We'll see what it feels like on the trail.

I'm coming off a Cannondale Rush with it's notoriously low BB height, this bike is nearly an inch higher at over 13 1/4 by my measure. I didn't have my riding shoes, but right now the seat height is essentially exactly the same as the Rush. I expected it to be quite a bit higher, we'll see where it ends up when I really get to ride it. It feels a little bit roomier so far, and the standover height is only very slightly higher.

I'll provide a ride report when able, in the meantime here's a few more pics:

Speed Thrills
    I was on the trigger to buy a Team edition and the larges sold out. Riding buddy of mine is ordering a Pro edition today.
    I think you should probably just replace that stick-on chain stay protector. I can't see that stuff staying on for very long.
    Enjoy that first ride and let us know. :-)

mtbr member

1st ride of many - Me likey

brcjacks - you might try for a pro version if they still have your size, this is a great bike.

A little background first if you haven't check 'em out:
    I didn't know anything about the Supercell or Breezer bikes in general before I saw the Supercell. I read as much as I could and learned a great deal about Joe Breeze and the long history of Breezer bikes. In 1977 Joe's "Breezer 1" was the first frame built specifically for what became mountain biking, it resides in the Smithsonian now. So the pedigree is there, the geometry and handling from years of experience is there, and Breezer bikes collaboration with the Sotto group for the suspension design brings that final element to the table.

So after assembly I did a torque check of all fasteners, adjusted the brakes, derailleurs and installed my pedals. (BTW, it doesn't come with pedals, so if you don't have a favored set already you'll need to buy some) I set the sag 25% or a bit less and she was ready to ride.

I think I mentioned that this is my first 29er, and even though the reviews mention the handling I was a little concerned it would feel sluggish coming off my lefty equipped Cannondale Rush. Not at all. The Supercell felt great right away, and after a couple of ergonomic adjustments I was ready to go.

I took the bike out to the San Joaquin River trail near Fresno, CA, a trail I'm very familiar with. The point I entered the trail starts off with a steep, rutted single-track downhill and the bike performed superbly. I had worked the brakes a bit before leaving home, but this first section did the trick as the brakes were broken in and working great by the time I got to the bottom! I have ridden this section in much better conditions on bikes I am familiar with, kinda bombing it a couple of times on a CC bike, not crazy but riding pretty briskly. This time it was very dry over hardpack, rutted, with a brand new bike and rusty rider. I really felt like I took my time, just getting the feel of the bike. Later I looked at the ride on Strava and that 1st downhill popped as an achievement, 3rd best personal time. I have to attribute that to the confidence inspiring feel of the Supercell. Quick and sure turning yet it rolled over stuff like a train.

The only thing that held me back on the rest of the ride my my own weakness, since i haven't been riding my legs and lungs were not cooperating...

I realized quickly that I should have set the bike up with a bit more sag, it was a bit stiff and chattery over the light hack on the trail and I left some travel on table. The suspension does feel like it needs some break-in time. The Pro and Team models may be very different in this regard, I don't know. However, it climbs great, is very flickable in the switchbacks, stable and precise downhill, rolls over and through the rocks FAR better than the Rush. The increased BB height, rollover ability and precise handling were apparent on this trail. There's an uphill rocky section that I have only cleared a couple of times previously. Big rocks to roll over and between and it's difficult to clock the pedals to fit through the rocks as you go. Luck or not, but I was pretty gassed when I got there I cleared it the first time through with no trouble. (It's not the area in the picture, that's an easy spot... )

The X-Fusion suspension pretty worked well, and the interesting mLink rear was very compliant but didn't waste any of my meager energy in the climbs. Should be even better next time with the sag adjusted to a little over 25%, and some rebound tweeks. Yay!

It's very new, and only time and miles will confirm my initial ride impressions, but it rides great, it's a good looking bike and the build quality appears to be excellent, I'm very pleased with the purchase!

Now to get out there on the trail and find my legs and lungs...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    "I set the sag 25% or a bit less. . . ."

My first thought when I read this was that you're gonna want more sag than that.

"I realized quickly that I should have set the bike up with a bit more sag, it was a bit stiff and chattery over the light hack on the trail and I left some travel on table."

I'd try it at about 30-32%. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I'd try it at about 30-32%. JMHO.
    I believe you are correct! I don't know if I was thinking along the lines of a 100mm travel bike or what. I played around on the property a bit today and I'm going to adjust a bit more before I go back out. As soon as I get the chance I'll get back out there and see how it feels.

Thanks for the input!

Super Crasher
    Aug 2007
    A little late to the party gents, but I actually got a Breezer Supercell Pro last year from my LBS. I have been riding it since last year, and must say that I am extremely pleased. I am a bigger guy at 6 ft 4 in and 220 LBS, so I was looking for more of a trail bike that could take a beating from me and my aggressive riding style. I am no expert on the designs of FS bikes, but this one performs as advertised to me. It stays nice and plush on the downhills, while not caving every time I pedal up.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ordered a Supercell Pro from price point when they had free shipping and it showed up yesterday. I think it was $1600 shipped with a 5% off coupon. I'm coming off a much loved Cannondale Prophet I've had the last 10 years, very similar to Doug's bike.

Got the bike on the trail today and it rips. Rides light (despite the feel picking it up), feels agile, stay's hooked up, wants to play and be ridden fast. I did a loop I'd usually be dragging after on my Cannondale and felt like I only spent half the usual energy. The bike feels solid and you don't feel any flex like you can in lighter bikes. It's smooth but not overly soft. Construction quality is top notch. Components work great, tires and brakes are superb. My Cannondale always felt like I would hit a wall speed wise where riding any faster just took an exponential amount of energy, I did not feel the same wall on this bike.

I'm 6'2" and riding a large, it's a touch small but I think an XL would stretch me out too much.

If your on the fence I say give it a shot, you won't find a nicer bike brand new for the money. I am really happy with the geometry, I did not notice any of the 29er traits people complain about and I was really on the fence about big wheels. To me it just rides like a much improved 26". I would never go back to smaller wheels after todays ride. Can't wait to get back out on it.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Here's a pic, looks great in person.

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150528_190743_zpsspuwgsg2.jpg

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    This bike closely reminded me of the 2013 Trek Rumblefish Pro. Heavy, but very plush at the same time. My demo Supercell Team was run at 30% sag and it felt absolutely phenomenal, feeling like the travel was "endless."

It's an XC/Trail bike that can be used on all-day Epics. Yes, the heft on steep, grinding climbs kill....but really nothing that will hurt you, because the bike's optimized geo makes it snappy. The mid-chainstay pivot feels very "floaty." on chunky descents
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Just Ride!
    Wonder if this can be purchased as a frame only?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    Wonder if this can be purchased as a frame only?
    Probably cheaper at this point to buy the low spec bike and part everything but the frame out. You'd probably make 80% back.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    This bike closely reminded me of the 2013 Trek Rumblefish Pro. Heavy, but very plush at the same time. My demo Supercell Team was run at 30% sag and it felt absolutely phenomenal, feeling like the travel was "endless."

It's an XC/Trail bike that can be used on all-day Epics. Yes, the heft on steep, grinding climbs kill....but really nothing that will hurt you, because the bike's optimized geo makes it snappy. The mid-chainstay pivot feels very "floaty." on chunky descents
    I had the same feeling. Never thought a 120 could feel long travel and I was only at 20-25% sag. Will try adding more sag this week to see how it feels.

mtbr member
    I got mine back out today with the sag at about 30%, a BIG improvement. Very plush and the handling continues to impress me, it seems to have all the advantages of 29" wheels yest handles like my 26er. Today's ride had a long sometimes steep rocky downhill that this bike just excelled on. Very confidence inspiring dropping off rocks even on the steep. The way it climbs is impressive, rolling up and over obstacles superbly. I've been off the bike for a while and it shows, but this thing really climbs well especially if you're maintaining good momentum.

Loving it so far!

mtbr member
    I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Supercell. I am pretty torn though as I like the Repack as well.

I'm fairly new to mountain biking but been into it pretty hard for the past few months. I've lost alot of weight. I'm around 5'8, 185lbs and I was considering a medium as that's waht I'm currently riding in a hardtail 29. I've found the 29er is a bit... big for me as I'm not a tall guy, but maybe it would be right in a FS bike? Or should I just pay alittle more and get the Repack?

I'm liking all the stuff I read about these bikes and their ability to climb. My whole goal is to never get off and walk. I'm not a hardcore downhiller. It seems the Supercell is a better trail bike than the Repack?

Any insight you have is appreciated.

mtbr member
    SMUAlien, I'm 5' 9" with about a 32" inseam and the Medium is an excellent fit. Breezer calls it 18.5 for medium while my current bike is 17" for medium so I compared all the other published measurements to that current ride before I bought. Great fit, lots of standover room and the bike does not feel big like I expected the 29er to feel. It felt great right away without me feeling like I had to adapt to it.

Sounds like a Supercell is perfect for you if you're not a hardcore downhiller. That said, this bike goes downhill better than of my previous bikes, a GT Hardtail, Marin MT Vision, and a Cannondale Rush. The added suspension travel helps, buts it's the geometry that makes it feel so planted yet easy to flick around. Combine that with the big wheels and and good brikes and it's impressive going down the mountain. The singletrack downhill from yesterday is 2.7 miles and drops about 1200 feet, winding down and over the rocks. There are a bunch of little drops where you're pointed down fairly steep and have to drop the bike off of a little boulder up to 18" high or so. Lots of scrapes on the rocks from pedals, chainrings, bashguards and such, but I cruised down very smoothly. I actually stopped a couple of times to look around at the view, but I noticed as I looked up the ride on Strava to find the downhill distance that yesterday was a personal record for me, by several minutes, on that segment. A dropper post would be optimal here, but otherwise I cannot complain about the bike.

I think it would work well for you, especially if you can get one at the discount pricing that's out there right now.

Good luck,
    Doug

Breezer ad photo is NO exaggeration....it can easily handle this kind of riding:Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-breezer.jpg

Try doing that^.....on a 100mm travel 29er!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Breezer ad photo is NO exaggeration....it can easily handle this kind of riding:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breezer.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	992622

Try doing that^.....on a 100mm travel 29er!
    Zach, you have a Repack or a Supercell?
    Having a hard time talking my wife into this lol. I have a 2 month old hardtail that I now need to justify / sell.

Quote Originally Posted by SMUAlien View Post
    Zach, you have a Repack or a Supercell?
    Having a hard time talking my wife into this lol. I have a 2 month old hardtail that I now need to justify / sell.
    I demo'd a Supercell Team for 3 days. Main ride is a Superfly FS with 120mm fork.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    A dropper post would be optimal here. . . . .
    The Supercell and a dropper post would go together like peanut butter and jelly :~)

mtbr member
    Hi Doug,
    Do you get alot of pedal overlap with the medium frame and 29 in wheels? With my hard tail I grind my feet quite a bit (guess my technique isn't good.) I'm like a milimeter away from pulling the trigger on either the Supercell Expert, Pro, or a Repack.

I'm glad you enjoy your ride. I've test ridden the Giant Trance, a Trek Remedy, Santa Cruz Bronson, and I'm very interested in the Supercell or Repack the most. On Tuesday my buddy with a medium frame Bronson is going to loan it to me and I'm going to go out for a couple hours (look up Calvera Lake in Carlsbad CA, it's where I ride).

So far I kinda like my neighbors Remedy the best. I was least impressed with the Trance for some reason (could be the sales dude was too pushy).
    Thanks,

-Richard

SMUAlien, I'm 5' 9" with about a 32" inseam and the Medium is an excellent fit. Breezer calls it 18.5 for medium while my current bike is 17" for medium so I compared all the other published measurements to that current ride before I bought. Great fit, lots of standover room and the bike does not feel big like I expected the 29er to feel. It felt great right away without me feeling like I had to adapt to it.

Sounds like a Supercell is perfect for you if you're not a hardcore downhiller. That said, this bike goes downhill better than of my previous bikes, a GT Hardtail, Marin MT Vision, and a Cannondale Rush. The added suspension travel helps, buts it's the geometry that makes it feel so planted yet easy to flick around. Combine that with the big wheels and and good brikes and it's impressive going down the mountain. The singletrack downhill from yesterday is 2.7 miles and drops about 1200 feet, winding down and over the rocks. There are a bunch of little drops where you're pointed down fairly steep and have to drop the bike off of a little boulder up to 18" high or so. Lots of scrapes on the rocks from pedals, chainrings, bashguards and such, but I cruised down very smoothly. I actually stopped a couple of times to look around at the view, but I noticed as I looked up the ride on Strava to find the downhill distance that yesterday was a personal record for me, by several minutes, on that segment. A dropper post would be optimal here, but otherwise I cannot complain about the bike.

I think it would work well for you, especially if you can get one at the discount pricing that's out there right now.

Good luck,
    Doug

mtbr member
    Pedal overlap? Not an issue on this bike, unless you have clown feet... I've never come close that I know of. I would think that 29er geometry has matured to the point that this isn't much of an issue. In my humble opinion, Breezer has it dialed in.

mtbr member
    Buddy of mine just picked up a Supercell Expert. Got to ride it for about 2 miles of winding singletrack with small hills. Was very impressed how this bike feels versus the other 29er FS ive riden before, especially at this pricepoint. What I liked most was the lack of bob going uphill, felt close to my HT. But with that said, you can feel the weight of the bike on those climbs. Having 4 points of 15mm through axle on the bike gave it this strong feel of the bike is taking all my inputs without flexing since me (and the owner) are clydes.
    Now im really considering looking the Supercell Pro as my next ride this fall.

Speed Thrills
    One of my riding buddies just got the Pro edition and loves it. We went out for 20 miles yesterday so we switched bike for a while and I was very impressed with the way this bike rides and how plush it feels on the rough stuff.
    I can also say that he is a vastly better rider on this bike than he was on his 29" hardtail. I know he's go "new bike high" still but I could not believe how much better he was climbing and carving.
    This bike is a sweet ride and for the money you can't beat it. Very nice finish on the bike and top notch welds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I recently just got into mountain biking after looking for a new outdoor activity that will let me push my limits. Unfortunately, there's no mountains to shred in Texas and my weekend motorcycle twisty runs won't cut it here.

I have been looking for a new 29 for the past 2 months and was looking at the Trek FS8, Transition Bandit, and the Supercell. I was extremely hard trying to find as much information on the Breezer Supercell compared to the others. After reading all the reviews and going through the comments here, I finally pulled the trigger on a Supercell Team on a small frame. Signed up and wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Cheers~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CamboRambo View Post
    I recently just got into mountain biking after looking for a new outdoor activity that will let me push my limits. Unfortunately, there's no mountains to shred in Texas and my weekend motorcycle twisty runs won't cut it here.

I have been looking for a new 29 for the past 2 months and was looking at the Trek FS8, Transition Bandit, and the Supercell. I was extremely hard trying to find as much information on the Breezer Supercell compared to the others. After reading all the reviews and going through the comments here, I finally pulled the trigger on a Supercell Team on a small frame. Signed up and wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

Cheers~
    Awesome! Give us your impressions once you get it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I test rode one of these. Nice ride, but these bikes are HEAVY! My riding buddy is on a FS Felt which is noticeably lighter than these Supercells.

The ride of the Supercell though is like a Cadillac. I've never felt anything quite like it before. Huck it off a curb and it soaks up just the right amount of shock to make things very cushy. The amount of shock absorbed seemed to change depending on what I was doing. If I was dropping it hard, it would absorb a lot of shock. Roll over a manhole cover, almost no absorbtion because it wasn't needed. It was kind of trippy looking down and seeing what the links were doing and how it was working with the shock.

So, nice ride, if you have the lungs and legs for a heavier bike.

mtbr member
    It's easy to obsess over weight, we all do it. The Supercell is never going to be the lightest bike on the trail, of that there's little doubt.

However, the bike does "ride light". I feel that that way and I've read that basic comment in every review I've seen, it's an interesting phenomenon. After riding it more I still feel that it rides light, handles great and goes up and downhill really well. Although after reading many posts about how heavy it is I started to wonder, so weighed it against my Med frame/lefty Cannondale Rush. Both bikes currently have Slime tubes instead of tubeless, and the Supercell is wearing the beefy stock tires. My 26" Rush is a bit more than 3 pounds lighter than the entry level Supercell expert. I'll be adding a KS Lev dropper post by the end of the week, so she's gonna get a little fatter.

I generally ride wearing a 70 oz hydration pack with food, water, tools, spare tube etc., and I'd like to loose 5 or so pounds around my belly. I guess I'm saying at this point 3 or so pounds isn't an issue - for me. I certainly don't have big legs or lungs either, especially after some time off the bike.

mtbr member
    What did the Supercell weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    What did the Supercell weigh?
    The Rush was just under 30# and the Supercell was just over 33#

The one I demo'd weighed 29.8 pounds, without pedals(Small Supercell Pro/Team).

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Love mine. I'm 6'3 and 280 and I can't fault it at all. If I need my setup to lose 5lbs I guess I can go on a diet!

Trail Ninja
    Not a bad first post. A rarity for a production bike to withstand someone 6'3" 280 lbs. The Breezer deserves some serious props if it continues to hold up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Not a bad first post. A rarity for a production bike to withstand someone 6'3" 280 lbs. The Breezer deserves some serious props if it continues to hold up.
    I'm 39 years old and by no means will I be dropping off 3-5' anything some decent trails locally very rooted and some steep short climbs and descents this machine is all I need. It may not be a $6000 Epic or a $4000 Camber but I'm not up to that yet.
    However for $1700 from price point shipped I'd defy anyone to find a better value product out there. Time will tell how well it holds up but it is built like a truck and the 32lb weight shows it, but that's why I like it.
    I have it set at 25% sag right now and that equates to 280psi on the Fox Float CTD rear shock. So yeah I'm close to the 300psi max but Breezer says 300lbs is the max rider weight so I'm still under.
    The XT rear and SLX front are both way smoother than what I used to ride (200GS, 400LX, I'm old). The wheelset is decent, love the thru axles front and rear way more confident in the strength there, so I'll let you know what comes and will sing the Supercell's praises til it fails me.

mtbr member
    Is this a good bike for a Clyde because of the heavy, yet strong frame and geometry? I am 6'4" 260 lbs. I am looking at the XL, concerned the cockpit might be too small. Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It works great for me.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these. I'm thinking probably a medium? I'm just a hair under 5'10" (about 5'9.75") with a 32" measured inseam.

Got a kid on the way but been wanting a new MTB for awhile now. Wife has given me $7-800 to play with without catching grief. I could easily sell another toy or two to make up the difference. If pricepoint would run one of their 5% off deals, I'd pull the trigger right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
    Seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these. I'm thinking probably a medium? I'm just a hair under 5'10" (about 5'9.75") with a 32" measured inseam.

Got a kid on the way but been wanting a new MTB for awhile now. Wife has given me $7-800 to play with without catching grief. I could easily sell another toy or two to make up the difference. If pricepoint would run one of their 5% off deals, I'd pull the trigger right now.
    The Expert is 46% off right now. Same as when I bought it a month ago. The Medium will fit you perfectly. I'm 5'9" as well and it fits great. I'm REALLY loving this bike, only thing I'm adding is a dropper post.

Breezer Supercell Expert | 29 inch Full Suspension

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yeah, I've been watching it. I need to dig around in the garage and see what I have that I'm willing to sell.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    Is this a good bike for a Clyde because of the heavy, yet strong frame and geometry? I am 6'4" 260 lbs. I am looking at the XL, concerned the cockpit might be too small. Thanks.
    My son and I are both over 6'4", and felt the XL was fine for us. I'm about the same weight as you, my son is lighter.

If you have really long legs and want a dropper post, I'd get a longer model (430mm). Remember that the XL comes with a 110mm stem.

At first glance, I would usually expect to replace a 110mm stem with something in the 75mm to 90mm range, but I recalled my time aboard the Fuji hardtail we tested a while back that came with a similarly long-ish stem. I initially swapped it out, and didn't care for the handling, and eventually found the stem they spec'd with the bike handled the best for me.

I also liked the handling on the XL Breezer Supercell with the 110mm stem (I think the 51mm crown offset helped speed the steering back up), so if you leave it, that will add some length to the cockpit along with the 625mm ETT compared to bikes that use shorter stems.

If you like super short stems, the 625mm ETT might be a concern.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff. My height is mostly in my torso with regular length legs, short arms. I tend to be heavy over my arms and am always looking for a bike to alleviate that. The price point on this bike is great, the frame weight, not so much.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I added a set of 50mm riser bars a few days ago because I was getting a weird pain in my left wrist, I think due to the sweep of the stock bars. After 4 rides the pain has not returned. Nothing else to really report. Bike still rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post

I signed up for the email and received a 5% off coupon.
    Was getting an error message when I tried to use the coupon, before expiration. However you can call them and order by phone, and they will honor the coupon. That said, I have been tracking the price since April, don't think it will go up.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    Was getting an error message when I tried to use the coupon, before expiration. However you can call them and order by phone, and they will honor the coupon. That said, I have been tracking the price since April, don't think it will go up.
    Helluva tip man! Just signed up and got one too! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    I just ordered an Expert xl last night. I had done the same with the mailing list to get 5%. It actually showed me through the entire checkout process that the discount was applied but the final total didn't include the discount. I finished the order, took some screen shots showing the discount and incorrect total, and emailed CS. Got a response first thing today that it had been corrected and the discount had been applied so that's all set.

I was going to wait for my Mary SS to sell to keep my wife happy, but I was more concerned about them selling out of my size than about the price changing. This will be my first FS bike, and the first one with gears in about 8 years. Switching to full suspension to take some strain off my back since I've got some ongoing issues there. I can't wait to get this out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Any updated reports from breezer super cell riders? I am looking at the expert for $1300 from price point. Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    I'm having hard time deciding between the Expert and the Pro. Think the Pro is really worth the $300 more premium?

mtbr member
    For me, I think the expert is enough. It would be my first FS and I am not hardcore at all so saving some cash is worth it over some upgraded components. I have heard good things about the X-fusion suspensions and that the Fox can be unreliable so the expert seems better there. I am not a guru at all on components so that is all I have read.

My only concern with the bike in general is the weight. It has been well documented that the souped-up suspension adds to the frame weight. As a Clyde that may be better for me, not sure. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    I just don't like the 3x10 drivetrain. Wish it had the 2x10. Hmm... Maybe the Expert is the better bet..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm also not concerned about the weight. At my size, and not racing/competing, it's not worth the significant price increase to buy a significantly lighter bike. If I weighed 160 lbs, a 30+ pounder would probably suck. At 230 it really doesn't matter.

Mine should be here tomorrow per fedex tracking. Planning to ditch the front derailleur and run 1x10, just not sure on the ratio I want yet. Been riding SS for 8 or so years, so I think 10spd is enough for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
    I'm also not concerned about the weight. At my size, and not racing/competing, it's not worth the significant price increase to buy a significantly lighter bike. If I weighed 160 lbs, a 30+ pounder would probably suck. At 230 it really doesn't matter.

Mine should be here tomorrow per fedex tracking. Planning to ditch the front derailleur and run 1x10, just not sure on the ratio I want yet. Been riding SS for 8 or so years, so I think 10spd is enough for me.
    Nice, keep us posted with the build, ride etc. If the weight doesn't matter to you at 230 I guess I shouldn't worry at 260!
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Will do. Fedex dropped it off this morning but we are dealing with an AC issue currently (failed blower motor) so I haven't opened it yet. No AC in June, in GA is no bueno.

mtbr member
    How is the tire clearance on this frame?

This thread really needs some more pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Got the AC sorted out and hit the garage to check out the new bike. I'm far from a bike mechanic, and I haven't assembled a bike in years but I didn't have any trouble. Torque specs were either on the parts or in the various manuals. I probably spent around 2hrs total including airing up the tires and shocks. The bike came nicely packaged as I've seen mentioned in other posts. A larger box with the Breezer box inside. No indications that FedEx had run over it with their truck so that was promising.

Here's a few pics of the unboxing, tire clearance that was requested (I presume you meant in the rear of the frame), and the assembled bike. I can't really offer any riding impressions yet. I pedaled around my front yard a few times to get some baseline air pressures in the shocks. I also don't have anything to compare it to besides my hardtail. Once I get back from the beach I'll take it trail riding and be able to offer so more feedback.

I also got impatient and ordered a BBG bashguard for a 32t so I guess that'll be my front chainring shortly. That's the same size I've had on my SS for year so I'm sure it will be fine.

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150627_095012.jpg

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150627_122430.jpg

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150627_122835.jpg

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150627_123025.jpg

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150627_133234.jpg

Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150627_141839.jpg

If you want to see any other specific detail shots, LMK and I'll work on getting it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I just got my Supercell Pro put together the other day... now if some of the local trails would dry out I'll be in business.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    PP every year has very good deals for 4th of July. Like $250 off. But this year they are late, it should have been out 4-5 days ago.

mtbr member
    Got my Pro this week and took it on the trail yesterday. I'm coming from a ten year old hard tail so this was quite a upgrade. I loved it. Uphill and down I seem to be able to power through more than before. I got an XL as I am 6' 4" 230lbs and it fits well. Thanks for everyone who provided input on the bike. You helped me make my decision. Once I figure out how to post a picture I put one up. My only regret is that I waited too long to get the team version but I am happy with the one I have. Here's to many years of fun riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have just about everything tweaked and tuned to my liking. The brakes are a little soft... may need a quick bleed. Looking forward to hittin' a trail tomorrow and run it through it's paces.

mtbr member
    I got the Pricepoint 4th of July discount email this morning, but it doesn't seem to apply to bikes or frames.

Just Ride!
    Some manufacturer restrictions apply. Discount taken at checkout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    yes it does not work. they had a similar deal for cinco de mayo but it did work for breezer.
    plus it had free shipping and the email sign up coupon was 10% off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I got my Repack Team with the 5% off coupon. Ordered it on the 16th. I was all ready to get the Pro when I saw the XL Teams go on sale for the same price I was gonna buy the pro for. I couldn't say no to that deal so I ordered one up.

I was able to get it out on the trail last weekend and I am very impressed so far. The Trail we took it on is somewhat technical single track with tons of palmetto roots everywhere. It performed great and after 16 miles did not leave me beat up feeling like my hard tail 29er does. This week I will hit Grapefruit Trail which is a much faster flowier free ride style track. Should be a blast and a good improvement over my 120mm Airborne Goblin Evo for that style of riding. Loving this bike so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Many thanks for this thread. I found the deal before I found this thread, but the input from you guys helped me feel really good about ordering a Supercell Expert, which I did yesterday. It will be here thursday. Unfortunately, I leave Friday for two weeks! But I will update on my build and ride experience. I'm 6'2" (205) and ordered the xl. I'm kind of borderline, but a) I have long legs (34" IS) b) I hate having too much weight on my hands and c) I got to ride an XL repack and the fit was great. I hope I chose right with the Supercell over the repack. We have nothing but hills and mountains here (30 miles from Repack Trail!) but I am definitely not a downhiller. I choose relatively flat, or at least gradual climbs and descents. Not an aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
    Planning to ditch the front derailleur and run 1x10, just not sure on the ratio I want yet.
    I am considering doing this too. Please share what you are considering/what you did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    @Afterburn... I am the exact same size as you, and ordered the XL Pro. Finally took it out on it's maiden voyage Monday. The size is spot on! Even though I have long arms, I still seemed just a tad stretched out. My back ain't what it used to be either, so i ordered a 90mm stem, and will see if that works better for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just weighed my XL Expert using my bathroom scale (weighed myself, then me+bike). Came in at 33.8lbs exactly how it came out of the box.

I've got a raceface 32t NW chainring and my bash guard should be here any day now. Once that shows I'll convert to 1x10 and weigh again.

I also picked up a lizard skin cover I'm going to try on the chainstay. I'm not sure it will fit (got a large) but I'll see soon enough.

Edit
    Just installed the chainstay guard and it fits fine. It's the jumbo size.
    Last edited by bgredjeep; 07-04-2015 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    How is she riding guys, I am reading build reports but I want ride reports. Thanks! Both honest positive and negative impressions appreciated.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm still playing around with my riding position, as I'm feeling a little too stretched out. Next step is a 90mm stem, and maybe a 70mm, setback seatpost, and some riser bars with a little more sweep. That all may sound counter-intuitive, but I want to experiment with different "geometries", not necessarily all at once though. I think I have the right pressures and rebound adjustment in my shocks as the bike really stays planted on drops and climbs. As I'm getting used to it, and riding the same trail every time out, the bike seems to handle better with more speed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update lemke. How would you guys rate your supercells on a scale of 1 to 10 with one being the worst and ten being the best? This information would help out this potential buyer. Thank you.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    This is my first FS bike... coming from a HT 29er, so I have no benchmark comparison. However, one of my riding buddies has a Pivot Mach 429 alloy with many more years of experience. We'll swap out bikes and hopefully I can get some good feedback from him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    @soarftb... the same buddy of mine is who pushed me to get this bike. He seemed impressed with the specs, especially at the price!

mtbr member
    Sub'd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemke View Post
    This is my first FS bike... coming from a HT 29er, so I have no benchmark comparison. However, one of my riding buddies has a Pivot Mach 429 alloy with many more years of experience. We'll swap out bikes and hopefully I can get some good feedback from him.
    Thanks lemke. I would be curious to see what your buddy says.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Still going strong on mine.
    As I mentioned before I'm kinda hefty and have broken 1 chain and pinged a tooth off the big ring during a miss shift, but the bike itself and all its hardware are performing great. BTW finding Shimano 34t AM chain rings is a pain in the butt. Had to order one from the UK and thank god for KMC missing links!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I got the last XL Pro model from pricepoint, should be in my hands tomorrow, ride report to follow. I am in CA for riding terrain typing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jorgensen View Post
    I got the last XL Pro model from pricepoint, should be in my hands tomorrow, ride report to follow. I am in CA for riding terrain typing
    So it was you! I was looking at that model and size. Oh well, they still have the Expert in XL.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    So it was you! I was looking at that model and size. Oh well, they still have the Expert in XL.

I have had my eye on it for a few weeks now. Was out of time for the 4th and needed to time it just right so it would show up today. I was torn between the expert and the pro, the Fox shock and fork pushed me that way, not the higher spec shimano. For the record, the expert color is sweet!

There was one other LBS in the LA area that had a 15 Team model in Xl, but they were stuck around 3K, can't recall the name of the store

mtbr member
    I am going to watch this thread for any long term issues with the frame/pivots, as I will be in the market for one of these next year............ Don't be shy updating guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I am going to watch this thread for any long term issues with the frame/pivots, as I will be in the market for one of these next year............ Don't be shy updating guys!
    IF you believe the hype (usually about 50% of the story) the pivots on this design are subject to far less wear due to reduced movement, because they do not pivot near as radically to achieve the same amount of travel. Also the bearings are just over the counter cartridge bearings and should be avail anywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jorgensen View Post
    I have had my eye on it for a few weeks now. Was out of time for the 4th and needed to time it just right so it would show up today. I was torn between the expert and the pro, the Fox shock and fork pushed me that way, not the higher spec shimano. For the record, the expert color is sweet!

There was one other LBS in the LA area that had a 15 Team model in Xl, but they were stuck around 3K, can't recall the name of the store
    Lol no problem. Enjoy the bike. Share some ride reports with us. Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Fresh out of the box, I set the suspension and rode it around the block a few times. Shifting and brakes are pretty good out of the box, but I am sure will need some fine tuning. Pretty beautiful bike despite the absence of color. I was riding a bike with a 15 year old XTR Group (the first year of mega 9 lol). I figured the component group on this would be noticeably better than the old XTR stuff, but not the case. I guess you get what you pay for when you buy XTR, even 15 years later. Here are a few pics. Breezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150706_142615.jpgBreezer Supercell -Any thoughts?-20150706_143220.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    @Marc... what "size" are you? The reason I ask is I'm 6'-2", 34" IS and 36" arms, and I'm already playing around with positioning everything. I feel a little stretched out, but it may be something I'm not used to. I run my seat post (un-cut) as low as it goes. I've installed a 90mm stem, and am waiting on a setback seat post. I plan to ride tomorrow or Wednesday and will report back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does the bike ride neutral or what are the most noticeable characteristic?
    Would you say the front wheel is easy to pull up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice Marc. I really like the darker frame on the pro.

I'm realizing I won't be much cheaper on my expert by the time I'm done tinkering. Between the 1x10 conversion (just got the bash guard so that will start tomorrow) and the 2.35 Maxxis Ikons I ordered (going to lose over 1lb with those) I'm getting closer. Still, convincing my wife that $1700 was OK just wasn't going to make my life easy. lol I can always make upgrades along the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quite the opposite... the front wheel stays planted! That's why I'm thinking I need to shift my whole body position rearward.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lemke View Post
    @Marc... what "size" are you? The reason I ask is I'm 6'-2", 34" IS and 36" arms, and I'm already playing around with positioning everything. I feel a little stretched out, but it may be something I'm not used to. I run my seat post (un-cut) as low as it goes. I've installed a 90mm stem, and am waiting on a setback seat post. I plan to ride tomorrow or Wednesday and will report back.
    I a 6'4" about the same inseam as you. I have yet to get it out on the trails. I was planning on running a shorter stem and a riser bar with the steerer cut down. I will probably replace all the oval junk with Thomson, just what I like, but it looks pretty decent quality. I like a taller bar, just for comfort, I know you give up a bit of climbing prowess that way, but I am not a pro XC racer by any means. It feels pretty heavy, I guess the XL Pro weighs around 32lbs. But with as much metal is on this thing I think that is pretty light, it looks like a 29er All Mountain bike, pretty sturdy. I will get it out on the trails tomorrow and report how it rides.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast