mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Brand New Trek Superfly SL Elite with Sizable Divot in Rear Chain Stay.

Hello all. I just purchased a Trek Superfly Elite SL (2013) and have ridden about 25 kms on it, mainly on sealed paths. I've had the bike for one week and haven't touched it with any tools. Today I noticed a rather sizable divot in the rear chain stay on the disc break side of the frame (see attachment). The divot looks to me like it's been made by a tool and not a loose stone, so I strongly suspect that I bought the bike with this defect. I just wanted people's thoughts on the safety aspects of the defect and what I should do.

Thanks everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand New Trek Superfly SL Elite with Sizable Divot in Rear Chain Stay.-20131201_202913.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have it evaluated by your dealer and Trek through their warranty program if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Could have equally been made from the disc rotor hitting the frame during wheel removal/installation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I thought the same thing GTR-33. Looks like somebody couldn't get the wheel in easily, and the rotor hit the frame.
    Have you had the rear wheel off at any point?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No, I have not taken the rear wheel off at all. I have taken the front wheel off, but not the rear one. I also do agree with GTR-33. I will contact my LBS and post the result.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hello Blue,
    I bought the same exact bike as you have and mine had a small gouge in the exact same place. I noticed it when it was brand new on the showroom floor. The mechanic said it was from the rotor during wheel installation/removal. Mine looked cosmetic (not very deep). I assumed it was no big deal since the chainstay is alloy not carbon. Hope you like your bike! I love mine....so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi Jim, I guess I should conclude this thread. After I inspected my bike more closely I realized I had sold me a second-hand bike (probably a demo bike). There was dirt and muck in hard-to-clean places (e.g., inside the outer cables) and the bottom of the downtube had a lot of small dings. There were other tell-tail signs as well, including a missing fork indicator - I know that's minor, but I paid $5000 because I wanted a properly good machine.

Anyway, I was pretty angry and I forced them (Cycles Galleria in Melbourne, Australia) to exchange it for a brand new Superfly Elite SL that was on the shop floor. Given that you live in California, I doubt that the ****s at Cycles Galleria sold you the dud bike they initially sold to me.

Anyway, the lesson here is never trust Cycles Galleria in Melbourne - they're bastards. I was actually told by another Trek dealer here in Australia that it's common practice for bike shops to sell ex-demo bikes as if they were brand spanking new. I certainly don't doubt it.