Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Self-defeatist

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!

There's nothing to it. Post pictures of your drop bar equipped 29er.

If you like bikes with drops, there are a few threads on MTBR to peruse, but there's no Drop-Bar MTB thread on the 29er board that I can find. Lets start one.

If you ride off-road in the hooks, post your ride up here! If you'd like to share your experiences and lessons learned while converting to or riding in drops, it would be a boon to others, so enlighten us.

Here's my '07 Unit, recently converted to WTB drop bars.

I used as much of the steerer as I could, and a 25 degree, 110mm 'Uno' stem (It's probably a Kalloy). I could use another 5-10mm of steerer, but I'm 98% happy with the bars where they are, and I don't have a problem riding in the drops exclusively. A Midge bar would get the hands higher, but I have XXL gloves and they won't fit (Sorry, Brant, I tried). I might install another rigid fork one day and I'll leave myself a bit more steerer if I do. Could someone extrapolate on the whole headset loading issue for me. I've had some difficulty setting the bearing since I moved all the stem spacers to the bottom.

I wanted to run full cables, and did, but I wish I had another cm or two of rear brake housing. It was tight on my 20" frame with the length supplied in the Shimano DIY kit. The bars can't rotate much past 90 degrees however so I don't see it being a problem.

I whipped the bar tape with hemp and weatherproofed (the hemp only) with clear shellac. I also added some hemp twine that my sister gave me to the top-tube to secure the housing, I like it better than stick-on guides plus it acts like a top-tube pad of sorts.

And the ride? It takes some getting used to, but I love it so far. It really got more weight on the front of the bike without putting it all on my hands. My weight seems to be more evenly distributed across my upper body muscles as well. Regardless, I now rail turns. Good times.

Here's a couple of ride pics to round out the post. If you decide to post, please add a couple of ride pics as well.

If this isn't enough for you, here's the Mostercross threads,

"monster 'cross bikes" creeping towards world domination?
    I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS

Ink1373's awesome and varied flikr collection of drop-bar dirt bikes,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2880994...7606306503239/

a Monstercross tire discussion,

All Monster Cross sized tires the market?

And my Monstercross bikes:

I Beg You, More MONSTERCROSS

Thanks for coming out,

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    This has now got a Jones bar on it.

But I'm waiting for a prototype drop bar specific frame and fork from Sam at Singular Cycles which should be with me in the next few days.

Self-defeatist
    Nice, SSStu!

I'm jealous. Be sure to post up your Singular when it arrives. I think the general consensus 'round here is that they're beautifully built and finished bikes. I know I want one!

The one above with the panels matching the leather is stunning!

You say you're waiting for a prototype, is there a new model other than the Swift or Peregrine in the pipeline or updates to the current offerings?

Thanks for posting!

C.

EDIT: Just read the Singular site, looks like there's lots of new stuff on the way, be sure to keep us posted!!
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

the daughter's singular:

here:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    old guy on a strong:

Self-defeatist
    Thanks, T mon T, nice additions!
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    You say you're waiting for a prototype, is there a new model other than the Swift or Peregrine in the pipeline or updates to the current offerings?

There sure is.

The frame and fork I'm waiting for is called the Gryphon.

It's very similar to the Swift but with a longer head tube to allow for running a brop bar.

I'll be posting up plenty of pictures of it as soon as it arrives and I'm sure Sam will be along shortly to answer any questions you may have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the fabulous blue drop-bar singular that my daughter is racing and is posted above is likewise a drop-bar-specific frame by sam. it is a super-small gryphon, dubbed "hummingbird" ( before the newer 69er hummingbird ). she is 5'4". this bike is indeed most kick-ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T mon T
    the fabulous blue drop-bar singular that my daughter is racing and is posted above is likewise a drop-bar-specific frame by sam. it is a super-small gryphon, dubbed "hummingbird" ( before the newer 69er hummingbird ). she is 5'4". this bike is indeed most kick-ass.

I believe it's also the sister frame to this cute little pink Singular.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedstu

But I'm waiting for a prototype drop bar specific frame and fork from Sam at Singular Cycles which should be with me in the next few days.

Made in England too! Nice to see the Big Wheels being made here

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    nice. altho, no drops . . . . . . . . . . . . . . c'mon now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    Made in England too! Nice to see the Big Wheels being made here
    Not quite.

Designed here, but not made here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T mon T
    nice. altho, no drops . . . . . . . . . . . . . . c'mon now.

But the blue Swift has drop bars and hydrolic brakes which kind of makes up for it.

Harmonius Wrench

Drop Bar Trio

Drop bar specific Badger custom

Custom Pofahl single speed

Karate Monkey, my first 29"er, with drops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedstu
    Not quite.

Designed here, but not made here.
    Oh well, designed here is good enough.

Just great to see the 29er being 'made' in more & more countries other than just the US - and one with such great asthetics too

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I love the looks of a burly, drop-bar equipped bike, but my hands and back usually end up suffering. Whenever I ride bikes, be it mtb, cross, road, or whatever, there's always a little voice in my head that says "[SIZE="1"]Jump it![/SIZE]". Methinks that's why I end up sore.

Anyways, here's my old Monkey (which I sold):

listenin' to the voice:

here's el Jamis, but after not too long, I took off the bars and put Marys on it:

I plan to build my Chester with the Midge or WTBs, but I suspect it'll hurt my back and I'll switch put the Jones H-bar back on. My plan is to take it chill on the Chester for dirt and road mixed rides, and probably throw a rack on it to discourage any extra-terrestial activity.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Self-defeatist
    Nice adds, Drevil! Puttin' the drop in drop-bar!

I was going to ask if anyone thought drop-bars were a liability when jumping, but I think you answered my question...nice pics. I've been getting used to, and enjoying, the feeling of jumping in the drops, I just haven't tackled any really technical terrain yet. I think I'll drive to the trails this weekend if the rain and flurries hold off.

Also, cool left-side-fixxed Jamis. I'm sure it looks pretty sweet w/the Jones bar as well. Is it a polo-bike or an off-road fix?

Keep 'em comin', everyone! Some great photos so far!

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

hey stu !!

hey man, what exactly is that drop/hyro set-up you are rockin there ??

'Calm Down'
    Here's a photo of my Fat Front Matt Chester build. I put it together specifically for this "ride" - PSSWC08
    I've ridden it once so far and I pretty much giggled the whole time.

The second photo is of course how it "normally" looks.

jw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Self-defeatist
    Um, WOW. Insert expressive emoticon here. That Chester is beautiful, esp in fat-front form.
    I'm covered in beer.

Good For You

This place needs an enema

Not bored.

But I *can* contribute.

My first real off-roadable drop bar bike was my Willits B2. Rode it for the better part of '03-'04 like this.

Learned a lot from that bike and that year. Primarily that my hands are permanently scarred from years of racing in a too-low 'ricky-racer' cockpit position, such that riding on drop bars (any drop bars with any stem length/rise you can dream up combined with any padding/tape/foam and glove combo you can dream up) is a relatively painful proposition unless I'm climbing. I also learned that the relative narrowness of drop bars makes it difficult to get enough leverage to climb or descend tech trails in these parts. It can certainly be done (tho' I never see anyone locally on drops) but it's not nearly as much fun as riding with a more traditional hand position.

Lastly, I learned that when I ride dirt roads and atv tracks on this type of bike, I prefer a rigid fork and a little give out back--exactly the opposite of the B2.

So I sold it. Then spent a few years enjoying all of my traditional handlebar FS bikes while letting the idea of a drop bar bike fester in my brain.

I knew what I wanted it to do, but it took some time to puzzle out how to get there.

Here's 'there'.

Drop bars, disc brakes, a little bit of rear squish, currently riding road with it using 23mm tires, but plenty of room front and rear for 2.5's. Although I spend more time on several other bikes throughout the year, this one gets more miles put on it by far.

I use it for CX, XC, and combo dirt/pavement rides,

I also use it for very mellow ST rides and all winter long when the roads are snow and ice packed and having a low pressure tubeless 2.3 on there is the ideal tire for the conditions.

It is a great bike. Monstercross? Drop bar MTB?

I don't really care what name gets attached to it. To me, it's a great BIKE.

MC

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been posted already, but I looooove a good drop bar thread.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    I looooove a good drop bar thread.
    +1
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Self-defeatist
    Thanks, MC. Great adds.

Beautiful photos as usual. Is the last photo recent? I know you encountered ice on your last alpine ride report, was there snow this time? We've had some sleet here (I'm onthe CDN east coast, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence) but no snow yet.

Nice stem and fork on that Moots. Truly a beautiful BIKE.

I'm not too interested in coming up with a hard-n'-fast definition of drop-bar 29er/Monstercross/etc. either (all are welcome here) but I thought the Monstercross thread was lacking in the more MTB influenced builds.

Also, +1 on the width issue. If I wasn't riding drops, I would prob have gone w/the Salsa 710mm/17* AL bars. I'm pretty broad-shouldered, so we'll see how the drops serve me over the long term. Anyone else want some wider MTB drop-bar selection? Salsa, are you listening?

Welcome, Ink1373, and thanks lots for the flickr album, It's been a source of inspiration!

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast