Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    monster cross rigs!! nice

mtbr member

My Fargo X7

Outfitted with a dynamo hub, WTB Asym i29 rims and an Edelux II headlight. Bar end shifters coming eventually.

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-fargo.jpgBored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-wheels2.jpgBored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-slfargo2.jpg

mtbr member
    Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-img_20160427_162627225.jpg

Soma Juice with Gator Bars and Cazaderos. 1x10 (11-36) with a 36t in front.

Still playing with the steerer/bar height. Just finished putting it together and planning on a long ride on Saturday. Gravel, paved and singletrack!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Any full suspended dropbar mtb? post pic and thoughts if you have one!

mtbr member

Carbon Zaskar 29er Monstercross (?)

Some awesome bikes on here guys!

This is my latest fun machine. I converted it to 1x (42x11-42) and used the left brifter as my switch for my dropper post. The thing is fun as hell.

Frame: Carbon Zaskar 29er
    Fork: Carbon On*One
    Cranks: Carbon X01
    Cassette: Sunrace 11-42
    Chainring: Absolute Black direct mount 42t
    Shifters and brakes: SRAM 10speed hydraulic (180/160)
    Seatpost: KS Lev Dropper (left brifter activated)
    Wheels/Tires: Sun Ringle Charger Pro/Stans Tubeless/Duro 2.35 (tubeless)

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-img_20160614_111414067.jpgBored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-img_20160614_111424405.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-img_20160614_111405403.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Vassago Fisticuff...ride like the devil

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-screen-shot-2016-06-14-7.42.05-pm.jpg

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-screen-shot-2016-05-13-11.44.59-am.jpg

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-screen-shot-2016-06-17-10.43.16-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi, it's my first post there

This is my newest and most favorite bike. I was really influenced by this thread and it made me crave 29er with drops!

I user 29er Romet Rambler frame (17") because it is shorter than usual frame. It also has two pairs of eyelets which is very useful. Now I think that ordinary length or 19" still should be fine.

Shortened setup for this bike is:

Rock Shox Reba Dual Air tapered 20 mm
    Salsa Woodchipper handlebar
    Shimano 105 brifters (I'm not a big fan of brifters, maybe someday I will switch to 1x11 and I will put something else)
    BB7 Road with 180/160 discs
    Deore XT derailleurs
    22/34 Deore XT HT2 crankset, 11-32t casette
    Giant S-XC wheel setup, with 20 mm DT Swiss on front
    Brooks B17 Standard - needed to attach bag loops
    DIY ultralight bag support (344 g ) and DIY bag.
    Last edited by wood_dweller; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    I've got a Dean Colonel (29er) with Niner RDO fork. Was pondering converting as I find drops more comfortable and tend to ride more gravel than trails. Not sure if I should dump the $900 or so for bars, shifters and drivetrain only to find the fit is unpleasant. Any thoughts on determining if a given bike will be a good candidate. Plan B would be to sell it and buy a Fargo.

mtbr member
    I tried to make a copy of Fargo in tweet terms of geometry. Length of TT + stem was just the same as in M size (I'm 5'10,5"). It felt it was way too short, I had to extend stem by 2 cm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For those of you who ride these bikes on the road and have actual road bikes: how much do you feel like you're giving up with a converted 29er versus a relaxed geometry road bike (i.e. the current generation gravel bikes)? I'll assume that I choose reasonably appropriate tires.

mtbr member

We the people ...

I own road bike, randonneur road bike, vintage mtb converted to drop bars and 29er posted above. I think higher position in converted 29er is not an issue when you are using proper wide tires with aggressive tread. You are just riding slower and will not much from lower handlebar position.

Dirt drop is sill significantly more aero than flat bar

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Niner RLT Ultegra

Hi all,

Just like Wood_dweller, this is my fist post and this thread helped me decide what kind of new bike I would like to replace my beloved stolen Badboy Ultra.

So here is my new Niner RLT9 Ultegra:

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-image1.jpg

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-image2.jpg

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-image3.jpg

I am actually thinking of changing the bar to get a bit of flare but I don't know how much of it I'd like. I just know that a Kona Rove's flared bar (12deg) already feels better... I'll try and find different options to have in hands in NYC before buying.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi Kittens&cobras,

I am not an experienced bike tech and don't know the Colonel well, but from my experience with a Cannondale Badboy Ultra, I think the most important thing to convert your MTB to drop-bar is the stem. I had to find a much shorter stem with a dramatic angle on the badboy to make it feel good.
    I also kept the MTB controls as the drops were just meant to put my head down and hammer it on my commute. I guess this would allow you to try the drops without any groupset component change.

That said, being spoiled with hydraulic discs for over 10 years, I didn't want cables for my new bike. I went with a complete Ultegra cyclocross hydraulic groupset and I find it amazing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiKo11238 View Post
    I am actually thinking of changing the bar to get a bit of flare but I don't know how much of it I'd like. I just know that a Kona Rove's flared bar (12deg) already feels better... I'll try and find different options to have in hands in NYC before buying.
    Hi! Very nice bike. As you can see I am using Salsa Woodchipper. In previous bike I was using On One Midge and I felt pain in my wrists. Woodchipper is very comfortable because of smaller flare. I didn't expect such a big difference. I think for bike like yours (not "pure" mtb ) 12 deg. should be perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just finished building this up. Redline Monobelt (sans belt, so Monocog really), currently set up as dinglespeed (32x22; 36x18; third cog on the hub is just acting as a spacer) and running 2.4 Racing Ralphs with just a hair clearance in the back.. Still waiting for a rigid fork to come in.

First time running dirt drops, not planning any real tech but it'll see some trails here and there.

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-mc_ss1.jpgBored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-mc_ss2.jpgBored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-mc_ss4.jpgBored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-mc_ss3.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

FitWell Schratz

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-schratz-sus.jpg

Pictured in 27.5, this bike uses a 29 wheels in the size medium and up.

Check it on Kickstarter this December

mtbr member
    Nice looking Redline, michel77.

I just put my old Reba on the Fargo and set up some tubeless Maxxis Forekaster tires on WTB Asym i29 rims:

Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-image.jpg
    Last edited by cackalacky; 4 Days Ago at 06:48 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678