Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Any mountain drops on the market that will accept the rohloff shifter? I would like go position it near the stem if I can slide it up there.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID
    My Fargo with Some Junebug bars.........

Blue Loop Ride 7-11-09
    i never thought about mounting the bar ends so they operate horizontally rather than vertically ... interesting concept ... i always seem to bang my knees on them so they change, not sure what happen with the setup you have ... nice looking bike though, was seriously tempted with a fargo, but went with a singualr swift instead ... already have 3 touring bikes
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie
    i never thought about mounting the bar ends so they operate horizontally rather than vertically ... interesting concept ... i always seem to bang my knees on them so they change, not sure what happen with the setup you have ... nice looking bike though, was seriously tempted with a fargo, but went with a singualr swift instead ... already have 3 touring bikes
    Ya, I set them up that way to keep the shifters from hitting the top tube if/when the bike falls over. So far knee clearance has not been an issue for me.

clunker
    La Cruz...monster style.

...strictly downhill...

Expert Crasher
    beautimous....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Spaceman

So Mike, how come the King headset cups are in upside down?
    Why not?

I put all mine in that way.

conjoinicorned
    not bored, just stoked! after having the midge bars hanging around for 2 years i finally got all the parts together to mount the darned things. sorry for the garage pic, didn't have the camera for the shakedown ride today.

first impressions: climbing = better (while standing anyways). descending = slower and scarier, but in a fun way. won't be my main setup for sure, but will be fun to conquer some of the local technical rides. the drop is around 2" lower than my marys, which i like. the reach is about 1.5" longer, which i don't like at all. i tried a shorter stem, but then the drop was too much. just have to get used to it.

what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    not bored, just stoked! after having the midge bars hanging around for 2 years i finally got all the parts together to mount the darned things. sorry for the garage pic, didn't have the camera for the shakedown ride today.

first impressions: climbing = better (while standing anyways). descending = slower and scarier, but in a fun way. won't be my main setup for sure, but will be fun to conquer some of the local technical rides. the drop is around 2" lower than my marys, which i like. the reach is about 1.5" longer, which i don't like at all. i tried a shorter stem, but then the drop was too much. just have to get used to it.

The bike looks great! After spending more time with the drops the descending nervousness will not be an issue.

I finally sold and shipped-out my Monkey Lite SL riser bars and stem earlier this week. After months of repeatedly swapping back and forth from riser to drops I have found the following to be true for me personally. The drop bars are way more comfortable ergonomically, and my hands go numb less than with conventional bars. Threading through trees is also easier because my hands in the drops are easier to gauge distance with than a protruding horizontal bar. Overall I consistently ride faster lap times on single track loops with the drops. I have tested this repeatedly and its a fact for me personally. Climbing is no contest, and I find that I am typically running 1-2 gears higher especially on the climbs. People still look at me like I am crazy, but when I pass them they aren't laughing...

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb49
    La Cruz...monster style.
    XDX front and rear? Is there much left-over clearance on the rear?

I really like the La Cruz, but I always thought there were clearance issues above 38c or so.
    I'm covered in beer.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    XDX front and rear? Is there much left-over clearance on the rear?

I really like the La Cruz, but I always thought there were clearance issues above 38c or so.
    Probably 1.75" version.... the 2.1 is pretty plump.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

Zion 737

Just finished this Zion 737. Bought the frame off eBay and most of other parts are pre-used. I have not had time to try it offroad yet since it was p....ing this morning in Sydney. Just had time to do a little ride around the neighbourhood to check the brakes, position etc... What I really like and sorry for the dropbars purists is the fact that the hoods are spot on for the climbs and the flats fantastic for recovering and still the drops much less stretch than I was used to on a road bike. The sturdy Syncros stem with its wide clam is fantastic and gives great rigidity to the cockpit.
    Tyres are dirty from previous bike. Tomorrow is a holiday so, I will get her out.

Frame: Zion 737
    Forks: GT Peace 9r
    Wheels: Velocity hubs with DH19 rims
    Bars: Midge with double layer of bar tape
    Stem: Syncros
    Levers: Tektro long pull
    Shifter: Shimano 8spd bar-ends
    Seat: Selle Italia Max Flite Tran Am
    Seatpost:Origin8 dropper
    BB: Stronglight Square taper 107mm
    Crankset: Old Sachs triple 110mm BCD. 36T unramped chainring
    RD: XTR
    Cassette: 12-14-16-18-21-26-32
    Tyres: Jones XR front (ghetto) and Exiwolf Rear (Gorilla tape tubeless)

I have installed the cable housing for the front derailleur in case I want to install one, I won't need to unwrap the bar tapes.
    I have reduced the cassette to 7 speeds by using spacers (even one smaller cog !!!) so that I don't have too much crossing with a 47mm chainline. Looks very good so far. I particularly like the spacing on this cassette which is ideal for one chain ring. I will probably avoid to use the 12T and have a perfect 1x6.
    I had initially bought some Origin8 Gary bars but the shifters did not fit in them (isn't that stupid? off-road dropbars that don't take bar-end shifters. too tight diameter ) and a set of Cane Creek levers because I thought they were better than the Tektro, they are exactly the same, surely from the same factory, I ended up preferring the silver finish...
    Next change is to mount a Weirwolf 2.55 Front with Gorilla tape.
    Make a chainguard from the old 44T aluminium big ring.
    And then build a new wheelset for the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eric_syd; 10-04-2009 at 02:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've gotta say, some of these on-a-budget, mixed-parts builds are the most interesting to me. Great job with the Zion!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good to see this come back to life - some great builds! Just an update on my Gryphon with some new bits - old WTB Dirt Drops, Reynolds carbon rimmed wheels, and mostly black parts rather than the silver of the previous pic.

The colour scheme is also the same as what it will be for production frames - due in later this month - finally!
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    Just finished this Zion 737. Bought the frame off eBay and most of other parts are pre-used. I have not had time to try it offroad yet since it was p....ing this morning in Sydney. Just had time to do a little ride around the neighbourhood to check the brakes, position etc... What I really like and sorry for the dropbars purists is the fact that the hoods are spot on for the climbs and the flats fantastic for recovering and still the drops much less stretch than I was used to on a road bike. The sturdy Syncros stem with its wide clam is fantastic and gives great rigidity to the cockpit.
    Tyres are dirty from previous bike. Tomorrow is a holiday so, I will get her out.

Frame: Zion 737
    Forks: GT Peace 9r
    Wheels: Velocity hubs with DH19 rims
    Bars: Midge with double layer of bar tape
    Stem: Syncros
    Levers: Tektro long pull
    Shifter: Shimano 8spd bar-ends
    Seat: Selle Italia Max Flite Tran Am
    Seatpost:Origin8 dropper
    BB: Stronglight Square taper 107mm
    Crankset: Old Sachs triple 110mm BCD. 36T unramped chainring
    RD: XTR
    Cassette: 12-14-16-18-21-26-32
    Tyres: Jones XR front (ghetto) and Exiwolf Rear (Gorilla tape tubeless)

I have installed the cable housing for the front derailleur in case I want to install one, I won't need to unwrap the bar tapes.
    I have reduced the cassette to 7 speeds by using spacers (even one smaller cog !!!) so that I don't have too much crossing with a 47mm chainline. Looks very good so far. I particularly like the spacing on this cassette which is ideal for one chain ring. I will probably avoid to use the 12T and have a perfect 1x6.
    I had initially bought some Origin8 Gary bars but the shifters did not fit in them (isn't that stupid? off-road dropbars that don't take bar-end shifters. too tight diameter ) and a set of Cane Creek levers because I thought they were better than the Tektro, they are exactly the same, surely from the same factory, I ended up preferring the silver finish...
    Next change is to mount a Weirwolf 2.55 Front with Gorilla tape.
    Make a chainguard from the old 44T aluminium big ring.
    And then build a new wheelset for the road.
    Great build on the Zion, well done

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    Good to see this come back to life - some great builds! Just an update on my Gryphon with some new bits - old WTB Dirt Drops, Reynolds carbon rimmed wheels, and mostly black parts rather than the silver of the previous pic.

The colour scheme is also the same as what it will be for production frames - due in later this month - finally!
    I know a lot of folks bag on the skin wall look, but on this bike its perfect in my opinion. Too bad somebody doesn't make a clincher with that look 'cause I am pretty sure one of these frames is going to end up in my stable. I'd love to recreate that look of yours.

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

My Dean Colonel 29er Cross

This had been a hardtail with a White Bros BW1.0.

When I messed up the fork I decided to experiment.

Recently replaced a Origin 8 carbon fork with Dean ti that's pictured.

Origin 8 Gary
    Shimano Ultegra STI
    Avid BB7 road disc
    Thomson post and 130mm/17 degree stem
    Mavic SpeedCity
    XTR drivetrain 2X9
    Last edited by pcxmbfj; 02-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    2011 Vassago Jabberwocky
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r SS
    2003 Titus Switchblade 650b
    1995 Litespeed Obed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcxmbfj
    This had been a hardtail with a White Bros BW1.0.

When I messed up the fork I decided to experiment.

Recently replaced a Origin 8 carbon fork with Dean ti that's pictured.

Origin 8 Gary
    Shimano Ultegra STI
    Avid BB7 road disc
    Thomson post and 130mm/17 degree stem
    Mavic SpeedCity
    XTR drivetrain 2X9
    The bike look great, How do you like the fork ?
    I have one bike that keep asking me for this fork...

Dawgwalker
    Apr 2006

How do you like the fork?

I've only ridden it once so far but it seems to change the bike geometry for the better. I was able to raise the handlebar 40mm and that may be the real source of improvement.

Ride seems more likely to be more lively than with the carbon fork over the pavement and gravel service roads on which it will be ridden.

I don't see myself riding this in the woods.

My Turner 29er full suspension is more forgiving to my "mature" body.
    2011 Vassago Jabberwocky
    2008 Turner Sultan
    2007 Dean Colonel 29r SS
    2003 Titus Switchblade 650b
    1995 Litespeed Obed

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

four months passed...sorry...

aye all with mtb drop bars...!!! need aaaahhh recommendation from y'all drop bar fanatics, i am acquiring a karate monkey and would like to run drop bars in order to make my commute more commutable(?) and give offroad dbars a try...!!! yes i will be operatin on two seperate wheelsets, one cx and one offroad fatties...!!! my question to y'all is which brake levers do you choose to use...? i will be running either bb5 mountain or bb7 mountain calipers...

please assist me in this acquisition...!!!

over-n-out...
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

'Calm Down'
    Best bet is the Tektro RL520.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    aye all with mtb drop bars...!!! need aaaahhh recommendation from y'all drop bar fanatics, i am acquiring a karate monkey and would like to run drop bars in order to make my commute more commutable(?) and give offroad dbars a try...!!! yes i will be operatin on two seperate wheelsets, one cx and one offroad fatties...!!! my question to y'all is which brake levers do you choose to use...? i will be running either bb5 mountain or bb7 mountain calipers...

please assist me in this acquisition...!!!

over-n-out...
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the best bet and cheap...?!?! too good to be true...!!!
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a Midge on a SS road bike I built up... I had no idea they were so popular for MTB use! I think I know what the next bike I'll build will be now after seeing this thread

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by adubb25
    the best bet and cheap...?!?! too good to be true...!!!
    Dare to dream.
    I'm covered in beer.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    Best bet is the Tektro RL520.

jw

+3 on the Tektro RL 520.

Worked like a champ when my KM was set up w/ Midge and BB7.

jmw
    mtbr member
    mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bored? Post your Drop-Bar 29er!-dropbarelmariachi1.jpg  

future nature

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast