Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    and another swift:

Expert Crasher
    That is nice! What bars are you running?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Is there a specific bar tape you guys like to run? Any special suggestions as I have a rigid front end and would like to some extra padding. Thanks

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by TN29'er
    Is there a specific bar tape you guys like to run? Any special suggestions as I have a rigid front end and would like to some extra padding. Thanks
    In my pic - I have a set of ESI chunky grips underneath the bar tape (which is some average cinelli or profile design stuff found at the LBS). Fizik makes some very nice bar phat as well.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Oury grips are for me mandatory on the hooks.

mtbr member
    For a cheap fix, find an old computer mouse pad -- the kind that are made from 1/4" foam rubber. Cut it into strips that'll wrap around your bars, tape it in place, then cover with your favorite standard bar wrap. Might sound dorky but it works quite well.

i heart singletrack

My Fargo's drop bar evolution...

Over the past seven months, I've run three drop bars on my Fargo. First, it was a Salsa Bell Lap (46cm). Next, I went to a WTB. Now, I'm running an On One Mary bar, upside down. All net out the same position on the "drop", but the Mary bar is my favorite bar riding so far.

Good stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Self-defeatist
    I'm glad this thread popped up again. Here's my Kona with a new fork, new bar tape (single layer of Easton), and a new pile of spacers.

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Finally took delivery of my new bar-end shifters yesterday, and completed my Vassago Bandersnatch last night!

conjoinicorned
    [QUOTE=N10S]Finally took delivery of my new bar-end shifters yesterday, and completed my Vassago Bandersnatch last night!

sweet ride.

if you find this post, could you give me the details on that stem? your bars seem higher than most, which is where i would like mine...unfortunately i've cut all my steer tubes.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Spud State Rider

Fargo

My Fargo with Some Junebug bars.........

Blue Loop Ride 7-11-09

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID

Blue Loop Ride 7-11-09
    I think you need more bottles.

jmw
    mtbr member
    Redline d460 w/ Midges....needed a shorter stem and no gears
    Last edited by jmw; 03-16-2010 at 06:13 AM.
    future nature

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Edelbikes

This is my very first frame/fork I built 3 years ago, now converted to drop bars, with a mix of cheap second hand or ebay parts (except the wheels...).
    I need to adjust the stem a little bit (could be longer), but otherwise it works quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

no photo but.....

My buddy has a beautiful drop bar 29er. He is 6'7" and had Moots make him a custom, travel bike, comes apart on the top tube and down tube.
    Ritchie carbon fork
    Full SRAM RED Group
    Industry Nine wheelset

He even rode it for a few laps this past weekend at the 24 hrs of Targhee...thing of beauty

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by xmangox
    I think you need more bottles.
    The uninitiated say that the first time they see a Fargo 99.9999999% of the time. Think of riding this bike from Canada to Mexico on the Great Divide Race and all those bottles make sense.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Self-defeatist
    I've been watching this build in the other drop-bar/Fargo threads. Thing of beauty.

It seems like there should be an MTB touring/monstercross forum. I've got a few questions about Fargos, crossxchecks, and touring and so on that I can't figure how to ask in the existing forums.
    I'm covered in beer.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    I've been watching this build in the other drop-bar/Fargo threads. Thing of beauty.

It seems like there should be an MTB touring/monstercross forum. I've got a few questions about Fargos, crossxchecks, and touring and so on that I can't figure how to ask in the existing forums.
    The 29er forum has been pretty open to those questions; look at the monstercross threads, the single speed threads, even the mention of going back to a 26" wheel, and all get good answers most of the time. Since 29er = 700c = 29er, this seems to be the place. Post 'em up!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    The uninitiated say that the first time they see a Fargo 99.9999999% of the time. Think of riding this bike from Canada to Mexico on the Great Divide Race and all those bottles make sense.
    Or think of any ride that lasts more than a few hours where a hydration pack on your back will just beat you down. Some of us are getting older and our backs don't take kindly to being part beast of burden, part cyclist. That's where the bottles are really appreciated!

And when I say "more than a few hours", I am talking double digit hours in the saddle. Sometimes that means all those bottles and a hydration pack!

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Or think of any ride that lasts more than a few hours where a hydration pack on your back will just beat you down. Some of us are getting older and our backs don't take kindly to being part beast of burden, part cyclist. That's where the bottles are really appreciated!

And when I say "more than a few hours", I am talking double digit hours in the saddle. Sometimes that means all those bottles and a hydration pack!
    Exactly......I wear a hydration pack with my other bikes. It doesn't bother me to much but is a nicer ride without.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    [QUOTE=ferday]
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    Finally took delivery of my new bar-end shifters yesterday, and completed my Vassago Bandersnatch last night!

sweet ride.

if you find this post, could you give me the details on that stem? your bars seem higher than most, which is where i would like mine...unfortunately i've cut all my steer tubes.

Thanks for the positive comment. That stem is an IRD F4 Mountain Riser and is 35degreex125mm reach. I did leave a good section of steerer which also helps, but the stem is really a nice option if you are running a standard diameter bar. With this set-up the drops fall naturally into hand during rides and really provides a great position for both comfort and control.

mtbr member

Paniers

Exactly......I wear a hydration pack with my other bikes. It doesn't bother me to much but is a nicer ride without.
    I'm more intrigued by the position of your paniers.
    Since you've got these wonderful sturdy racks, why don't you use lateral paniers. From my cyclo-camping experience (a few years ago), weight distribution is much better when the load is as low as possible. So I'd say unless you go on tight single tracks ???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Over the past seven months, I've run three drop bars on my Fargo. First, it was a Salsa Bell Lap (46cm). Next, I went to a WTB. Now, I'm running an On One Mary bar, upside down. All net out the same position on the "drop", but the Mary bar is my favorite bar riding so far.

Good stuff...
    Is that Abel/Sandoz on the back of pic #2???

Totally dig your Fargo man - always keeping an eye for it on the Lincoln trails

Spud State Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    I'm more intrigued by the position of your paniers.
    Since you've got these wonderful sturdy racks, why don't you use lateral paniers. From my cyclo-camping experience (a few years ago), weight distribution is much better when the load is as low as possible. So I'd say unless you go on tight single tracks ???
    Yea, I have a set of ortlieb panniers for front and back but don't use them when just out for a day trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    But I *can* contribute.

It is a great bike. Monstercross? Drop bar MTB?

I don't really care what name gets attached to it. To me, it's a great BIKE.

MC

So Mike, how come the King headset cups are in upside down?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast