Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Bootlegger's Bliss III (w/ bunches of big, stolen pics)

Up in my parts, my bud iconoclasst puts on the Bootlegger's Bliss. The concept is simple: brew some beer, then bring enough to share at the event, along with your bike, a homemade dish, and your S.O., if you are so inclined.

Day of Numero Tres (or Trois, if you are french-inclined) was last Saturday, and ~37 foo's showed up at the secret-squirrel venue...somewhere in Merryland, under a picnic shelter, in the autumn woods. We started off with a big group ride, mixing and meshing the seasoned with the newbies, to traipse through the trees, streams, and rocks.

Dkeg sports the reverse-skunk goattee:

(pic: Hjalti. Click it.)

The Great Pumpkin Allroy chases Lynn:

(pic: Donna. Click it.)

Beerme does the stump ride:

(pic: riderx. Click it.)

Jaybone and Jones:

(pic: Wrench. Click it.)

Buchetti with the new Paul Bunyan look:

(pic: iconoclasst. Click it.)

After a couple of hours of fun, mixed with the sprinkling of technicals, we converged back at the shelter to sample each other's homemade brews and dishes (but not S.O.s). I've never homebrewed before, but riderx took me under his wing a month ago and said I could join him when he was brewing up a batch. With his buddy Sam, the three of us wrangled up a pumpkin ale and a coffee oatmeal stout. No starter kit for those two, they do it from scratch. I don't drink beer much, but I got to taste it for the first time at the Bliss, and if I can say so myself, it turned out good.

After sating ourselves with insanely good food such as fresh-fried fries & wings, just-shucked oysters, and of course, beer, the antics began. JoeP, who didn't come (as usual), lent me his unicycle. What better way to destroy ourselves than to get on one after getting a nice buzz? None, minus Wrench, had prior experience, so the end result was lots of falling and laughing in each other's faces. After all, that's what friends are for.

Massively unskilled:

(pic: Glueslug. Click it.)

Massively skilled:

(pic: Glueslug. Click it.)

Oh yeah, what better way than to destroy ourselves? Drink a little more, then start a crash-up derby in the parking lot, interspersed with box-hopping.

Expensive derby:

(pic: Buchetti. Click it.)

Allroy (and SpaceFrame) gets T-boned and pwn3d:

There's a puppy underneath the box:

Derby King b1umb0y goes down:

Punishment for squishing the puppy:

If you weren't taken out during the derby, welp, there's always the table hopping. Ultimate goal was to get on top and over, and for the second year in a row, bIumb0y is the only one able to do it.

Dkeg Bailage:

Trials King and the jealous onlookers:

(pic: extrafunky. Click it.)

Two days later, I'm still sore, but the memories will last much longer. Thanks iconoclasst, and all the others that helped and came out. Bang up, swell times.

rickyd

ps - vote:

Last edited by Drevil; 11-03-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    29er content: within the above post, you will find several Karate Monkeys, Jones SpaceFrames, an IF Ti 29er, a Black Sheep, a lime green Niner, Bianchi Rita, Raleigh XXIX, On-One Inbred 29, etc., etc., etc.

kung food
    Looks like it was a great time, Ricky (and a considerably larger crowd than last year.)

Pretty miffed I couldn't make it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Dkeg Bailage:
    I build that beach a lovely set of wheels and he takes a picnic table to them. I don't get no respect.

The reverse skunk goat is beyond awesome though.

Thanks for the pics Ricky.

Pete

mtbr member
    What a great event. Lots of fun w/ the local crowd.
    Am thinking we should put something like that on around here...
    Fun photos.
    Thanks.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Steel and teeth.
    Great write-up Drevil! Two days later and I still feel like someone ran over me with a Dodge Durango.

Thanks again to Steve and all that assisted him in organizing this massive hit.

Goddam good times, beers, and riding. Exceptional people.

bb

Faster Than Your TV!

Don't let Drevil lie to you...

...there was no puppy under that box. It was a day-old kitten with attached umbilicus.

A huge heartfelt thanks to all who attended this year's event. With somewhere around 37 participants, this was the most successful one to date, and if the number of smiles I saw all day on people's faces is any indication of their level of satisfaction, next year should be even better.

The quality and variety of food and beer this year could not possibly have been better. The homebrew ran the gauntlet, from barleywines to trippels to stouts to IPAs, and everywhere in between; all of it tasty! The top-notch culinary offerings included such diverse treats as Mike Clarkson's raw oysters and clams (brilliant!) and Todd Bauer's cooked-on-the-spot hot wings and french fries. I'm still dreaming about the spread and wishing this thing ran the whole weekend. The weather was perfect, the route was fantastic—a great blend of just about everything you could want in a loop—and the post-ride asphalt derby and tabletop trials segments somehow managed to surpass last year's efforts.

Specials nods go to Jon "Baler" Schultz for planning an awesome route, to Butch "Bootch-wah" Ramsey for his excellent print production work on the signage, and to all who were sufficiently sodden to rumble in the parking area and take on the picnic table behind the pavilion, to the delight of everyone else. Well done--the Bliss wouldn't have been the same without your help, and I appreciate it.

Hope to have a write-up posted here soon. Here's looking to next year!

Ikon O. Classt
    Wrench In the Gears

Pic credits: Butch Ramsey (top) and Glueslug (bottom)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iconoclaSSt; 11-03-2008 at 11:58 AM.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

try driving your car less
    chocolate stout... nice!
    Only boring people get bored.

jmw
    mtbr member
    oh, you're so cute with your little hats....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZs83Zt435Y

looks like FUN!
    future nature

bike geek
    Looks like fun! So why did all of you Jones fat-fronters choose to run your regular 29er wheel? Just curious about when you choose one over the other.

Gold Member
    hah! Looks like too much fun!
    I had a stout lined up too, but with 2 weddings in 2 weeks, I was unable to take off a 3rd Sat in a row.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamjam
    Looks like fun! So why did all of you Jones fat-fronters choose to run your regular 29er wheel? Just curious about when you choose one over the other.
    For me, the Endomorph is finicky and has some handling quirks (which I guess I could get used to), but the regular wheel handles better through most of the riding that I do. Plus, the regular wheel is at least 1.5-2 pounds lighter (at least the way I have mine built up.)

It would have been killer at the derby though

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Dirt
    I build that beach a lovely set of wheels and he takes a picnic table to them. I don't get no respect.

Pete
    That's my (new) archenemy for ya: no respect. He needs to be took out.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    hah! Looks like too much fun!
    I had a stout lined up too, but with 2 weddings in 2 weeks, I was unable to take off a 3rd Sat in a row.
    Next time, F5 and Jace. 'Twas a great time.

kung food
    Next time, F5 and Jace. 'Twas a great time.
    I think Steve and DT need to get serious about their offer to have a springtime Bliss up here in Mass.

aka baycat
    Awesome stuff. We need **** like that out here.

rider
    Looks like a great event for brew heads and MTBr's. I like the event pint glasses, well done. We need some of that action up here in NJ!

DiscoCowboy

Actually

The 'organizer' Iconoclasst-bone banned fat wheels for the event, claiming some unfair advantage. Mainly so he could get his cheap shot in and bail out...

I like the fat wheel, but it's overkill for most regular riding, plus 2 - 2.5lbs of extra weight on the front gets tiring. Long fast downhills it's super fun, slow techy riding not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tamjam

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    29er content: within the above post, you will find several Karate Monkeys, Jones SpaceFrames, an IF Ti 29er, a Black Sheep, a lime green Niner, Bianchi Rita, Raleigh XXIX, On-One Inbred 29, etc., etc., etc.
    There was an Astrix Monk there too

Thanks iconoclast for putting this on, everyone had a good time.

coco stout!

!!!

Koolaid Advocate
    Dec 2007
    It was indeed a great time. Thanks to Icon O'Classt for hosting the event and Baler for the route. That was some good riding, when Tony wasn't fixing his chain, and even better beer and food. My back is still tweaked from that damn uni. I shouldn't go 20+ years between rides I guess.

Posted a short video of the derby on You Tube if anyone is interested.

Can't wait for next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Can't wait 'til I'm back in Baltimore in a year or so for this. Kinda funny that his post comes up, I'll be brewing a honey wheat this evening...not exactly a fall/winter beer, but still tasty.
    Cheers!
    -jon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Dirt

Pete
    Sorry, Pete but that is what happens after a few beers. I had a real hard time running into Ricky. I kept aiming for his wheels so his new Jonesey didn't take the brunt of my aggression.

Faster Than Your TV!

Oh yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by jace
    I think Steve and DT need to get serious about their offer to have a springtime Bliss up here in Mass.
    Working on making it happen in the spring, Jace. Will keep everyone posted.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Fat Boy Deluxe

Good job! Homebrew, check! Bike, check!

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    Working on making it happen in the spring, Jace. Will keep everyone posted.
    Damn skippy...this Spring it's on! I've been working out routes and spots, so it's just up to the masses to brew some beer and show up.

DT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast