mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Boost XC 29er Frame Options?

I'm looking for a frame to build into a XC race/trail bike. My local trails are quite mellow so I can get away with a low travel rig. My main requirements are boost spacing, "modern" xc geometry, and low weight. I'd like to stay under $1500-$1750 Canadian for the frame.

My top contender right now is a the Vassago Verhauen. The geometry on it seems really nice, especially the long reach for my lanky arms. The intense Sniper also looks really nice but the lowest I can get it for is $2100, which is a bit steep.

Are there any other options I should be considering? The only parts I have right now are a Fox 32 SC with 51mm offset and some custom Stan's boost wheels. Which means my build is still pretty flexible.
    Last edited by warpdatframe; 04-12-2018 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    SC Blur? Trek Top Fuel?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    SC Blur?
    The Blur looks nice but I'm not really looking to spend $4000 on just the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    At that range you can go hard tail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    At that range you can go hard tail.
    Well ya, I was sort of hoping for some suggestions.

mtbr member
    Devinci Django
    Best Source for Ibis, Devinci, and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Your budget is kind of tight! But if you want carbon you could go open mold. This would get you the most bike for your buck. For example, I just ordered a 1750g boost 29er frame with geometry very similar to the new Santa Cruz Blur and Scott Spark. I paid $800 (includes paint, shipping, headset, axle, seat post, suspension linkage, ceramic bearings, full carbon construction, custom manufacturing for high-modulus carbon, paypal fees, 2-year warranty policy), you can probably get it for $600-700 if you're willing to wait a month. Only get frames that are in stock if you want it within a month. There are lots of other options too.

Check out Hongfu, TanTan, or Pro-Mance. There's a bit of information on this thread about these frames. I ordered from Pro-Mance. Takes a 165x38mm shock, standard mounting hardware.

Boost XC 29er Frame Options?-photo.jpg

chasing simplicity
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdatframe View Post
    The Blur looks nice but I'm not really looking to spend $4000 on just the frame.
    Frame+shock is US $2999
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Frame+shock is US $2999
    2999USD Is $3800 Canadian + shipping, duties, and tax gets you to at least $4000.

chasing simplicity
    Ah, gotcha
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

mtbr member
    I'm looking for a frame to build into a XC race/trail bike. My local trails are quite mellow so I can get away with a low travel rig. My main requirements are boost spacing, "modern" xc geometry, and low weight. I'd like to stay under $1500-$1750 Canadian for the frame.

My top contender right now is a the Vassago Verhauen. The geometry on it seems really nice, especially the long reach for my lanky arms. ... The only parts I have right now are a Fox 32 SC with 51mm offset and some custom Stan's boost wheels. Which means my build is still pretty flexible.
    I have a Verhauen and I love it. I have it set up singlespeed with Fox 32 SC with 44mm offset and stans crest wheels. It is however a non-boost model and fits 29+. I ride and race it (in Singlespeed Class) with 2.35F and 2.2 rear.

It is very different from a sniper however. Do you want a HT that can be a SS, XC rocket, Bikepack rig or FS XC bike.

I just got a 2018 Epic and it compares to the new sniper and I find them very different bikes from the Verhauen. I believe the complement each other. My Epic is for long endurance races (4hrs +) and out right speed. My Verhauen is for joy of single speed and shorter distance blasts and singlespeed racing.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to end up going with a hard tail of some sorts. A full squish, carbon rig would probably be ideal but I'd have to spend at least $2k for anything modern. I might just go with an inexpensive alloy frame and enjoy that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well ya, I was sort of hoping for some suggestions.
    Look on Pinkbike for a Stache.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Look on Pinkbike for a Stache.
    I'm looking for an xc race bike....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm looking for an xc race bike....
    Eb thinks plus is the answer to everyone's riding needs.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    I'm in the same situation. I found a new but blemished Rocky Mountain Vertex for $450 from the shop I ride for. The blemish is scratched paint from shipping to the owner, who returned it under warranty.
    My struggle now is finding everything else for it since my old Niner EMD is 9mm QR front and rear and the bottom bracket is press fit, not threaded.

Definitely go to your local bike shops and see what they got or go to pinkbike.com for used.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If your local trails are ‘quite mellow’, why would you ride anything but a hardtail?
    Simple, fast and efficient.

It will also fit well within your budget.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    If your local trails are ‘quite mellow’, why would you ride anything but a hardtail?
    Simple, fast and efficient.

It will also fit well within your budget.
    My local trails are fairly tame but I'm worried about some of the gnarlier races that I plan on doing. From what I can tell, the majority of pros are riding full squish rigs on most courses. I just don't want to dump a whole bunch of money on a frame that will leave me at a "disadvantage."

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My local trails are fairly tame but I'm worried about some of the gnarlier races that I plan on doing. From what I can tell, the majority of pros are riding full squish rigs on most courses. I just don't want to dump a whole bunch of money on a frame that will leave me at a "disadvantage."
    Very few of us ride with enough finesse and panache to deserve a full-sus over a hardtail for handling purposes. Take a look at the XCO circuit--1/4 of the guys are hardtailing it, and they're the pros! There's elegant simplicity, power, toughness, and efficiency in a hardtail.

If you need a brand name sticker plastered on your downtube, get a hardtail and go shred it (Scott Scale, Trek X-Caliber). If you aren't going to feel fulfilled without full-sus, get your squish and look for a budget bottom-barrel name-brand option (none come to mind that I would want to ride, maybe Niner RIP or Giant something) or the quality Chinese models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Very few of us ride with enough finesse and panache to deserve a full-sus over a hardtail for handling purposes. Take a look at the XCO circuit--1/4 of the guys are hardtailing it, and they're the pros! There's elegant simplicity, power, toughness, and efficiency in a hardtail.

If you need a brand name sticker plastered on your downtube, get a hardtail and go shred it (Scott Scale, Trek X-Caliber). If you aren't going to feel fulfilled without full-sus, get your squish and look for a budget bottom-barrel name-brand option (none come to mind that I would want to ride, maybe Niner RIP or Giant something) or the quality Chinese models.
    I will probably end up with a carbon hard tail mostly due to cost. The main thing that's making my search tough is finding an xc frame with boost. I'd also prefer to not ride a big name brand like Giant, Specialized, etc, which narrows things even more. I'm probably being too picky but I can't ride for another 2 months so I have plenty of time to search.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Gotcha, so I'm not an expert on branded frames but I am aware of only one China mold that fits the bill:

Shenzhen Hongfu Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

29'' boost MTB frame (M9009-B)

I recommend reaching out to both agents, ask them for a quote (include EMS shipping) and whether the frame size you need is in stock (clarify boost model). The quote should be between $400 and $550 for UD matte excluding shipping. Then ask for $50 off in exchange for promoting their services on forums and your local community and sending them back photos of your build (or similar). Pay through PayPal with business insurance (3% fee is on them, not you), get your shipping tracking number when available, and communicate carefully with specific Pantone colors if you want it painted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Gotcha, so I'm not an expert on branded frames but I am aware of only one China mold that fits the bill:

29'' boost MTB frame (M9009-B)

I recommend reaching out to both agents, ask them for a quote (include EMS shipping) and whether the frame size you need is in stock (clarify boost model). The quote should be between $400 and $550 for UD matte excluding shipping. Then ask for $50 off in exchange for promoting their services on forums and your local community and sending them back photos of your build (or similar). Pay through PayPal with business insurance (3% fee is on them, not you), get your shipping tracking number when available, and communicate carefully with specific Pantone colors if you want it painted.
    That frame looks alright but I'd definitely still call it a compromise. The geometry is quite a bit steeper and shorter than I'd prefer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    That frame looks alright but I'd definitely still call it a compromise. The geometry is quite a bit steeper and shorter than I'd prefer.
    I happen to agree Just FYI this frame runs about $750-800, looks a bit more trick especially when painted. I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, I'm just here to help and share.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Trek procaliber is boost. Isospeed decoupler might be useful too.