mtbr member
    May 2009

Bonty 29er tubeless question - do I need full conversion kit?

Hi all,

Well I've managed to get myself a GF Rumblefish 2 and it's been fantastic. One upgrade I have been considering is making the wheels tubeless. The Stan's tubeless conversion kit contains a liquid sealent and rim strips.

I noticed when changing my rear tyre that the Bontrager rims on my 29er are already sealed with rim tape. Does this mean that all I need is some sealant and hey presto?

Also my tyres are not tubeless specific, but this doesn't seem to hold back other riders I know.

Any insights would be appreciated because I don't really want to shell out on a whole new conversion kit and new tyres.

elbow gloves
    You need tape and the rim strip in your case. The tape on your rims acts as a protective liner for the tube to interface with. It won't have the strength to hold up to air pressure. The tape seals the holes an protects your rim strip from hard sharp edges where the holes are drilled for the spokes. I've used Stans yellow tape to do the job and skipped the rim strip but the setup was less than ideal on a non Stans rim as the tires were very difficult to seat even with a compressor.

Save yourself the frustration of experimentation and use the system, short of using Stans rims, its the way to go.

As for tires, any tires will work. I've had difficulties with some tubeless specific tires being too tight (Geax Saguaro) like multiple broken tire levers tight, Add sealant, check it periodically and enjoy the benefits of much lower tire pressures!
    "The rotary motion of the worm gives a rectilinear motion to the rack"
    http://mgindle.wordpress.com/

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Naveed
    Hi all,

Well I've managed to get myself a GF Rumblefish 2 and it's been fantastic. One upgrade I have been considering is making the wheels tubeless. The Stan's tubeless conversion kit contains a liquid sealent and rim strips.

I noticed when changing my rear tyre that the Bontrager rims on my 29er are already sealed with rim tape. Does this mean that all I need is some sealant and hey presto?

Also my tyres are not tubeless specific, but this doesn't seem to hold back other riders I know.

Any insights would be appreciated because I don't really want to shell out on a whole new conversion kit and new tyres.
    Get the Bonty TLR rim strips and valves that are designed for your Rhythm rims. This makes them UST compatible.

Then check the label on your 29-3 tires. If you find a "TLR" logo, you are good to go. All you need is a sealant.

Mounting and sealing TLR tires is stupid-easy on TLR rims and takes moments, even with a floor pump.

With a standard tire, crapshoot
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just converted my 2010 HiFi Deluxe to tubeless. Take my advice (and the poster above), use the bontrager symmetric rhythm strips, valves and super juice (or stans sealant). It's super easy. It took me about an hour and i've had zero problems since. My HiFi came with XDX tires but I made the switch to 29-3's because I wanted just a bit more bite, but still something that rolls fast. Both the stock tires and rims are TLR compatible on your 'Fish.

Here's exactly what you'll need:

2 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric, Bontrager Part No. 406892 (don't get the RXL strips, they are too narrow for your rims)
    2 Tubeless Rim Valves Bontrager Part No. 250324
    1 Bottle of Super Juice or Stans Sealant.

Install manual:
    http://media.bontrager.com/owners_ma...eady_Tires.pdf

Just a bit of warning, when you go to inflate the tires the first time keep pumping until they 'pop' into place all the way around. Mine popped 2-3 times per tire. I bet i had to put about 50 lbs in with a floor pump then they were seated. It was pretty loud and I wasn't expecting it....made me jump! I let them sit overnight with ~50psi and then lowered them the following day before my first ride. No problems since.

The only problem I had was actually finding the right strips at a dealer. Bontrager seems to be sold out, so you may have to call around till you find a LBS that has them in stock. I ended up driving about an hour to get mine, but it was well worth the trip.

Oh, and leave the plastic spoke tape that came from the factory in your rims. You can install the Rhythm strips right over top of them. They just snap on top. Makes for a nice seal.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Latent
    I just converted my 2010 HiFi Deluxe to tubeless. Take my advice (and the poster above), use the bontrager symmetric rhythm strips, valves and super juice (or stans sealant). It's super easy. It took me about an hour and i've had zero problems since. My HiFi came with XDX tires but I made the switch to 29-3's because I wanted just a bit more bite, but still something that rolls fast. Both the stock tires and rims are TLR compatible on your 'Fish.

Here's exactly what you'll need:

2 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric, Bontrager Part No. 406892 (don't get the RXL strips, they are too narrow for your rims)
    2 Tubeless Rim Valves Bontrager Part No. 250324
    1 Bottle of Super Juice or Stans Sealant.

Install manual:
    http://media.bontrager.com/owners_ma...eady_Tires.pdf

Just a bit of warning, when you go to inflate the tires the first time keep pumping until they 'pop' into place all the way around. Mine popped 2-3 times per tire. I bet i had to put about 50 lbs in with a floor pump then they were seated. It was pretty loud and I wasn't expecting it....made me jump! I let them sit overnight with ~50psi and then lowered them the following day before my first ride. No problems since.

The only problem I had was actually finding the right strips at a dealer. Bontrager seems to be sold out, so you may have to call around till you find a LBS that has them in stock. I ended up driving about an hour to get mine, but it was well worth the trip.

Oh, and leave the plastic spoke tape that came from the factory in your rims. You can install the Rhythm strips right over top of them. They just snap on top. Makes for a nice seal.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, just ask.
    Use soapy water on the rim and tires beads and they seat more easily. Mine pop into place between 30 and 45psi.

I would also remove the stock (non-tubeless) rim strip before installing the TLR strip. Will make installing and removing tires easier.

I just installed F&R 29-3 Team Issue TLR tires on Bonty Race X Lite TLR rims. Was a little tough getting the never-mounted front on. Both inflated instantly with a floor pump, seated quickly, and are still holding pressure without sealant 7 hours later.

Still re-learning my video editing software. Will have TLR tire mounting video posted in a few days. Also video of installing standard tires on TLR and UST rims without inner tubes.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    (totally off topic here.....)

Shiggy...what video editing software are you using? Just asking because I just ordered a GoPro HD and will be doing some editing myself soon.

Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Latent
    (totally off topic here.....)

Shiggy...what video editing software are you using? Just asking because I just ordered a GoPro HD and will be doing some editing myself soon.

Thx.
    iMovie. Jumped ~5 versions when I "upgraded". Functionally a different program.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would also remove the stock (non-tubeless) rim strip before installing the TLR strip. Will make installing and removing tires easier.
    I've been researching this question for my 2010 DT Swiss X450SL rims, which came with a Stumpjumper comp 29 HT. They have blue tape inside, and came with tubeless-ready tires (and a set of tubeless valve stems). I've seen on the Stan's board where someone removed the blue tape, installed the 21mm yellow tape, and didn't use rim strips. Seems reasonable to me, but I'd be grateful for any insight anyone else might have. Rather than the stock tires I was hoping to run Nanoraptors tubeless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redtabby
    I've been researching this question for my 2010 DT Swiss X450SL rims, which came with a Stumpjumper comp 29 HT. They have blue tape inside, and came with tubeless-ready tires (and a set of tubeless valve stems). I've seen on the Stan's board where someone removed the blue tape, installed the 21mm yellow tape, and didn't use rim strips. Seems reasonable to me, but I'd be grateful for any insight anyone else might have. Rather than the stock tires I was hoping to run Nanoraptors tubeless.
    I had the previous model of the Rhythm rims that also came with OEM blue tape/strips, and elected to toss it and go with the lighter Stan's yellow tape instead. Even with the asymmetrical rhythm hole pattern, I never had any problems and ran the setup fine until selling the bike.

mtbr member
    The OEM blue rim strip is NOT the TLR rimstrip. The TLR rimstrips are extruded plastic and are black.

Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing
    I had the previous model of the Rhythm rims that also came with OEM blue tape/strips, and elected to toss it and go with the lighter Stan's yellow tape instead. Even with the asymmetrical rhythm hole pattern, I never had any problems and ran the setup fine until selling the bike.
    The blue OEM strip is not the TLR rim strip.

The TLR rim strips makes mounting TLR tires as easy as standard tires with tubes. No comparison to any DIY conversion.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by redtabby
    We are discussing the Bonty TLR wheel tire system.

No clue about your wheels. Use what Specialized recommends, if they even say the rims can be used tubeless.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    We are discussing the Bonty TLR wheel tire system.

No clue about your wheels. Use what Specialized recommends, if they even say the rims can be used tubeless.
    Sorry; the title of the thread "29er tubeless question - do I need full conversion kit" seemed general enough to tack on my question about other wheels...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    The OEM blue rim strip is NOT the TLR rimstrip. The TLR rimstrips are extruded plastic and are black.

The TLR rim strips makes mounting TLR tires as easy as standard tires with tubes. No comparison to any DIY conversion.

I know, I have a new TLR-rim, and it blows the old system away.

But, the older rhythms came with the blue plastic tubeless rim strip, which are a lot more like the DT version in question. Also, if you can tape the older, non-TLR, asymmetrical rhythms, the DT shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing
    I know, I have a new TLR-rim, and it blows the old system away.

But, the older rhythms came with the blue plastic tubeless rim strip, which are a lot more like the DT version in question. Also, if you can tape the older, non-TLR, asymmetrical rhythms, the DT shouldn't be a problem.
    The blue plastic strip was never the TLR rim strip. The TLR strip has always been black fitting from bead hook to bead hook with internal bead lock ridges and a raised diamond shape at the valve hole.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I'll second that. The Bonrtager TLR system makes things so easy. It also sounds like you can either remove or leave in the blue rim strip and things will still work. Good to know. I left mine in but maybe next time I'll pull it out just for kicks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The blue plastic strip was never the TLR rim strip. The TLR strip has always been black fitting from bead hook to bead hook with internal bead lock ridges and a raised diamond shape at the valve hole.
    I never said it was.

Look:

DT Blue "Tubeless" strips in question:

Older Blue bontrager "Tubeless strips:

I have owned both of these wheels, have a 2010 TLR setup, and never equated the current TLR system with the blue strips, just told redtabby about his DT swiss strips.