mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bontrager XR3 Team Issue

I have been trying to find some reviews on this tire without much luck. I had 2 of the 29-3 2.0 tires go bad and Bontrager replaced the first one with another 2.0, but when it bubbled up I asked for something different. This is what I got so I don't know whether to try it or sell it and get something else.

Right now I have the 29-3 2.25 Team Issue tlr on front and a WTB Exiwolf on the rear and that is a pretty nice combo for me. I am in NW Ga and with winter around the corner it gets wet and stays wet so I think I would like to replace the Exiwolf, because they really don't clear mudd at all.

I also have another 29-3 2.25 I am considering for a rear tire. By the way I am riding a Trek HiFi deluxe 2011.

Thanks for any input you can provide or if you can point me in the right direction.

AZ
    banned
    I have run one as a rear tire, it worked better mounted backwards. Don't know how well it works in clay though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    AZ
    How did it perform overall and did you like it. They look like they would clear mudd but they also look slow... Thanks

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling51 View Post
    AZ
    How did it perform overall and did you like it. They look like they would clear mudd but they also look slow... Thanks

Slow? Oh yeah, especially backwards, but it hooks up. Clears mud ok, not great, don't have any experience with clay though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been running GEAX Saguaro TNTs on both ends and couldn't be happier (run the rear backwards). They are billed as 2.2s but when you run them tubeless they are really close to 2.3 or 2.4. I used to have exiwolfs on both. Hated it for the front, okay for the back. The Saguaro's are a great all around tire in my opinion....on a GF HiFi Deluxe '09

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Saguaro is one I have been considering a lot. Thanks!

I hate that name.
    I've been running the XR3 as a rear on my geared Rumblefish for a while now, long enough that it's almost worn out. I like it a lot for the conditions here- hardpack, sugar sand, no real clay, and I avoid mud. I have it mounted in the recommended direction, and it doesn't feel slow to me at all. Definitely faster than the Schwalbe Albert I was on previously. FWIW, I currently run my rear tires at 50+ psi because I weigh about 275-280 and anything less squirms. There is also a TLR version that's supposed to be coming in October.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 29x2.30 for 2014 are great tires for my 2014 Pivot Mach 429 carbon. There light, roll fast-great grip on rocks, wet logs. Just one of the best tires I have ever used. Try them and see!!

I hate that name.
    Just FYI, this thread is from 2011 and the XR3 tires mentioned are a completely different tire from the current version. FWIW, I liked the old one, but I love the new one for a rear tire.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

A Baker St. Muse
    I tried to get an XR3 but they were out of stock, so I ended up with the XR2 and XR4 instead. The XR2 is good as a rear in the summer but only lasts about a year before the grip is gone. I really like the XR4 for a wet/mud tire though. I'm glad to hear the XR3 is good too, I'll have to pick one up.

mtbr member
    2.35 XR4/XR3 will be my next combo once my new wheels get here. From everything I read, it's a great combo for dry 'n rocky Colorado

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There is a reason the XR3 are out of stock, I'm telling you guys this is the perfect tire for East Coast riding!! Great front and rear combo!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    60-Second Tech: Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 29" Tire - VeloNews.com

Here is a quick review of the XR3. I recently bought an XR3 /XR2 combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I really did not like the stock XR3 on the front of my Fuel EX8. So, with the Trek gift card I got, I tried out the XR4 team issue on the front and it transformed my bike. The grip and bite of the XR4 make it so much more predictable and stable over the XR3 that it came with. It's the best upgrade I could have made, in my opinion and am even happier than I was before with my Fuel.