mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Bontrager x-lite vs Stans flow/Hope pro 2

I am looking at investing in a new wheelset. My question is: is this an upgrade at all? I am looking for a wheel that is a little more stiffer but I do not want all the weight. I am 205lbs on race day. This wheelset will only see XC trails. Am I going to notice any difference going from the race lites to the stans flow/hope combo on my Superfly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    probably a little stiffer but also much heavier. with riding just xc you may notice much more the difference in weight than an improvement in stiffness.

only if you want wider rims this makes sense in my opiniob, but keep in mind that the dt swiss hubs on the bonty's are superior to the hope ones. the only real upgrade i can see would be a set of i9 wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Not a Good Move

For that bike on xc trails, stay light. I find the Race Lites to be excellent wheels only less blingy.

WNC Native
    I'm curious though, would the flows last longer under a 200+ lb XC rider? I was kinda under the impression that the X-lite's weren't good for someone my weight (215 geared up).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i am about 210lbs. geared up and used the x-lights in a pretty rough 2 days race some weeks ago. no problems. http://www.cotopaxi.cikla.net/

i use the x-lights only for racing and for normal riding some i9s with dt swiss 7.1 rims and bigger tires. the i9s are stiffer but the bonty's are much better than i expected - made me keep the lighter x-lites as race wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No comment on the bontrager wheelset, but I have a pair of stans flows laced to CK hubs and they're amazing. The main difference I've noticed is the wider rim really allows more of a tire footprint. Also going tubeless is no sweat. The flows aren't that heavy, but you could always look at the arches which would be slightly lighter (but not as wide).

My wheelset (stans flow with CK hubs) is by no means heavy and I will definitely be racing them next year. I figure once you hit the 200lb mark you need to look at a lot more aspects of a wheelset aside from weight. The weight weenie 150lb soaking wet types can fret over a small difference in grams, I myself choose to pick the best wheelset with a slightly lower emphasis on weight. I've even considering a custom ss wheelset with flows and hope pro2's or CK since I like the flows so much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I doubt the weight will be significant. As per the bontrager website, weight on the race x-lite's is 1740 grams. Hope Pro 2, Arch rims, Double butted spokes and alloy nipples will put you 1770-1790ish grams. The Pro 2/Arch wheels will be stiffer, and you will get less wind up in the rear, with 32 3x spokes, as opposed to 28 2x spokes.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_cycles
    I doubt the weight will be significant. As per the bontrager website, weight on the race x-lite's is 1740 grams. Hope Pro 2, Arch rims, Double butted spokes and alloy nipples will put you 1770-1790ish grams. The Pro 2/Arch wheels will be stiffer, and you will get less wind up in the rear, with 32 3x spokes, as opposed to 28 2x spokes.

But would you recommend the Arch over the Flows for someone over 200 pounds? The OP was interested in the Flows. It seems like a lot of the over 200 crowd is going with the flows. I am interested in them as well. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i prefer the wider flows in combination with a 2.4 tire and low tire pressure because i get more comfort in the rear for my SF hardtail.

i am sure Arch's would hold up just as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69
    But would you recommend the Arch over the Flows for someone over 200 pounds? The OP was interested in the Flows. It seems like a lot of the over 200 crowd is going with the flows. I am interested in them as well. Thanks.
    At 200 for XC he should be ok with Arches. Much heavier and I would rec. going to flows.

Geritol Power
    I'm a 200 pounder with a set of Hopes with Arch in front and Bontager Mustang OSB in the rear.

The Hope rear hub is noisy but other than that it's a good hub. The whole package is plenty strong and I am fussy and hate whimpy wheels.

I assume the Bonti's are a fine XC set too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I never even considered the Arches. I thought I weighed too much. I like the tought of the wider rim though since I do ride tubeless.

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    I never even considered the Arches. I thought I weighed too much. I like the tought of the wider rim though since I do ride tubeless.
    Both the Arch and the Mustang are skinny. They are fine for my single speed though. I would prefer Flows on any geared bike. As for too heavy for Arches, some big boys have no problem with 355's. I suppose it has to do with riding style and proper wheel maintenance more than weight.