Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Bontrager Race-X-Lite/XXX-lite hub weight.

Does anybody know how much the Bontrager hubs weigh on the Race-X-Lite/Race-xxx-Lite wheels weigh? The 2009-10 hubs. I have searched and searched and found no info. I am assuming the 26er and 29er hubs are the same.

Thinking of buying the race-xxx-lite wheels. May try to get the rims seperate and build up another hub for weight weenie reasons. (Silly I know)

Sweeper
    I do not know the weight of the hub alone on the XXX 29'er wheelset but my LBS does have a set they are trying to sell.

With the Tubeless Rim Strips and No Valves the wheelset weighs 1790g's. One of the main reason this close to 2k wheelset is still sitting there I believe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yikes! ~1800g for 2k? You could afford Edge composites with CK hubs for that price. And they'd be stiffer, lighter, etc. Although I can't remember what the tubeless verdict was for the rims.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherMan
    I do not know the weight of the hub alone on the XXX 29'er wheelset but my LBS does have a set they are trying to sell.

With the Tubeless Rim Strips and No Valves the wheelset weighs 1790g's. One of the main reason this close to 2k wheelset is still sitting there I believe.
    Is that with QR's? I do believe that Mattomoto has quoted those same wheels with strips/valves at 1690. The rims alone weigh in at 395 grams. I have heard many good things on how these wheels ride.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the strip weight about 50-60 grams a piece. the stems are around 8-10 grams i think. Still better than a 200gram tube per tire.

I weigh 220lbs. That is why I am interested in the rims. The rims themselves will be super durable and non flexy under me. I hope.

I was thinking about the new stans ZTR crest? wheelset that is about $500ish for 1536 grams, but my concern there is my weight on them. Notubes hasn't posted a rider weight limit yet.

Sweeper
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    the strip weight about 50-60 grams a piece. the stems are around 8-10 grams i think. Still better than a 200gram tube per tire.

I weigh 220lbs. That is why I am interested in the rims. The rims themselves will be super durable and non flexy under me. I hope.

I was thinking about the new stans ZTR crest? wheelset that is about $500ish for 1536 grams, but my concern there is my weight on them. Notubes hasn't posted a rider weight limit yet.

No weight limit with the XXX's. I have weighed the wheels with a LBS scale and seen the close to 1800g number with my own eyes.

Pete @ NoTubes says 185lb limit with the Crest as it is a 355 replacement.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherMan
    No weight limit with the XXX's. I have weighed the wheels with a LBS scale and seen the close to 1800g number with my own eyes.

Pete @ NoTubes says 185lb limit with the Crest as it is a 355 replacement.
    Now that I think about it, I have seen these wheels on a scale a long time ago. The rep brought a pair through, weight was around 1600 grams on our scale. Weird. All other Bontrager wheel weights I have seen were about spot on according to our scale. I have heard from 2 seperate sources the 395 gram weight on the rims.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Sweeper
    I will do my best to weigh the rims and snap a picture this evening or tomorrow.

Plastic homer
    Do the XXX's have the same hubs as the RXL's (2009-2010)? If so, they are Formulas - maybe you could find the weight on the Formula site?

As for me, my SF100 has the RXLs with those hubs, and while I have had no issues, the 2009 version of these hubs had a lot of failures. Durability issues are not in keeping with the rest of my bike, and certainly not acceptable on the $2K wheelset you are considering.

Does anyone know if the 10's are better?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    WeatherMan if you could do it without the skewers.

Also, there are no Centerlock hubs on Formula's site.

jms
    mtbr member

220 lbs and

Whoops my bad! Carbon rims, not aluminum. Carry on and good luck w/purchase - wheels are the best place to spend upgrade money

mtbr member
    May 2006
    28 spokes is fine when done up right. My current Bontrager RACE wheels are 28spoke. No issues. Just want a lighter set.

Remember the 395g is carbon. Totally different than a 395g Alu rim when it come to strength.

jms
    mtbr member

Yep.

Yep. Agreed. Amended my earlier post [I've got Edges w/28 spoke]. Apologies again.

Sweeper
    Just got in from weighing the wheelset. I was wrong.

Weight of XXX 29'er Wheelset with Tubeless Rim Strips installed, no Valves or Skewers
    = 1690g.

Tubeless valves and depending on Skewer choice you can figure the weight total. Sorry for the Mistake.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well the rim strips I weighed were 55 avg. so 1690-110 puts then at 1580. I am down with that if they are as durable as they say they are.

If I get these, or anything close to it, my wheels are going to lose 400 grams total.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

More Data points....

To help the OP.
    I just laced a set of XXX lite rims to the older X-lite (DT 240 based) hubs with the stock DT 14/15g spokes. They weighed 754 grams for the front and 882 grams for the rear (1636g for the pair) with NO strips, valves, or skewers. So based on the weights posted for the newer wheels, the new Formula hubs weigh less (almost 60 grams) than the older DT hubs, which weighed about 420 grams a pair (265r, 155f).
    The rims weighed 383g each and required 10g of spoke washers each. The rim strips weighed 53 grams each.
    Ouch! My head hurts. Hope that helps.
    Professional Bike Tart,
    Kevin T

mtbr member
    May 2006
    AWESOME. Just the info I was looking for.

After doing some best guess math I was coming to the conclusion that the hubs couldn't be more than 450ish.

I am for sure going to save some nickels and dimes for this wheel set. Storng and lighish works for me. I for one have no problems going with the Bontrager hubs.

Plastic homer
    AWESOME. Just the info I was looking for.

After doing some best guess math I was coming to the conclusion that the hubs couldn't be more than 450ish.

I am for sure going to save some nickels and dimes for this wheel set. Storng and lighish works for me. I for one have no problems going with the Bontrager hubs.
    Well, cool - let us know how you do. As I say, my 2010 RXL hubs have been OK so far - but the 2009s were problematic.

In the meantime, think I'll find a scale and weigh the 2010s off the SF 100, which have 29-3/2.25 front, and a 2008 off my SS Superfly with the same tire, strip, etc. and see the difference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    anybody knows how wide the rims are?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri
    Now that I think about it, I have seen these wheels on a scale a long time ago. The rep brought a pair through, weight was around 1600 grams on our scale. Weird.
    maybe they were the 2008 with dt swiss hubs?

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES
    The 2008 DT Swiss hub style was 6 bolt. You have to add about 50-60 grams for the 2009/2010 Formula? hubset, as it is centerlock and will need a centerlock-6 bolt adapter or a centerlock rotor.
    One plus of the RXXXL wheelset is the 5 year warranty.

ballbuster

Also....

Does anybody know how much the Bontrager hubs weigh on the Race-X-Lite/Race-xxx-Lite wheels weigh? The 2009-10 hubs. I have searched and searched and found no info. I am assuming the 26er and 29er hubs are the same.

Thinking of buying the race-xxx-lite wheels. May try to get the rims seperate and build up another hub for weight weenie reasons. (Silly I know)

... check the spoke count. IIRC, Bontrager Race wheels are like 24 or 28 spoke. Its pretty hard to find good 28 hole hoops.

I had a XXX racelite bonti 26er front wheel on my old race hardtail. Stupid light. Surprisingly durable for a 24 spoke 600 gram wheel, but it was flexy as a ramen noodle.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the 29ers are 28 holes for bontrager.

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ive just had my xxx lite 29er on the scale with valves but without the rim strip. front wheel: 820, rear wheel 980 totally 1800g ?!?!?!?!?! thats just too heavy. Ill know the rim weight later in this week. Going with a lefty hub and white aerolite spokes

mtbr member
    About the same weight as a $465 set of ZTR Arches.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast