Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Bontrager Race x lite wheels tubeless yellow tape

Well I have had my superfly 100 for a couple weeks now and was waiting to go tubeless until i found a tire selection that i really liked. I had ridden stans rims before and really liked the idea of yellow tape, and really wasn't a fan of the the rim strips. I know a lot of people say you have to use the rims strips, but i didn't buy it after looking at some Flow 25mm yellow tape i had laying around. i removed the blue plastica strip and took the heat gun to help pull and mold the yellow tape a bit. i did not use very much heat before i applied the tape and pulled it tight. i made one wrap all the way around plus an addition 6 inches of overlap. Put a new maxis aspen up for the first time with stans very easy and it is holding air no problem. after a bit of shaking and flipping i took it for a quick spin and all was well. Just an FYI to save you some weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is the tape stans? How's that holding up for you? What tire pressure are you running with? Have you done any mods or upgrades to your S-Fly? Thanks, I am about to go tubeless on my Bontragers as well.

mtbr member
    The TLR rim strips are a much better solution than the tape IMO.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

noob
    if you aready had the stans tape that should be good. if you dont, the bontrager strips are only $10 a tire so you can convert for cheap. just had my bonty mustangs converted with the bonty kit
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

not really an mtbr member
    If you can use the Bontrager strips that's the route I would go- they fit really well, and last a lot longer than the yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I used the flow tape 25mm I believe. A friend of mine used the rim strips but it's a waste of almost 170 grams. In my opinion it is definitely worth it. Everything is holing up fine. I have a rocket ron up front and an Aspen out back. Wish I had stans rims on this bike but not a bad wheelset as long as u can keep it light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandostumpy View Post
    I used the flow tape 25mm I believe. A friend of mine used the rim strips but it's a waste of almost 170 grams. In my opinion it is definitely worth it. Everything is holing up fine. I have a rocket ron up front and an Aspen out back. Wish I had stans rims on this bike but not a bad wheelset as long as u can keep it light.
    Are you talking about the Bontrager TLR rim strips? 170 grams seems excessive. They are very light.

http://bontrager.com/model/02566

The Bonty's are 35 grams each. 70 grams for a wheelset. How much lighter can the tape be? The TLR strips are way more durable than tape.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There are also plastic inserts that are in the wheels the rim strip ends up being almost 70 grams either way I had it tried it worked well. I had yellow tape on my stans wheels for 3 years with no problem.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    There are also plastic inserts that are in the wheels the rim strip ends up being almost 70 grams either way I had it tried it worked well.
    Can you please clarify this. It is not at all clear what you are trying to say.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I'm not following either. I've used both myself but the TLR strips are a better solution.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There are plastic inserts where the spoke holes are. On the inside of the rim 2 each his own just trying to conserve all available lb's on a full suspension carbon bike.

mtbr member
    There are plastic inserts where the spoke holes are. On the inside of the rim 2 each his own just trying to conserve all available lb's on a full suspension carbon bike.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Ummm...not on my Race Lites. Bare metal rim. Install the plastic TLR rimstrip and TLR valve. Done.

Your punctuation and grammar is still very confusing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=orlandostumpy;8139171]There are plastic inserts where the spoke holes are. QUOTE]

They are probably Veloplugs and are an alternative to tape when running tubes. Unnecessary for anything else.

mtbr member
    Searching the forum really works! I wanted to know if I could use just tape to convert my Bonti Race Lites to tubeless without the strip. And here is the exact conversation.
    Anyway, Apparently I can, even though the notubes website says to use both. But, I have the 21mm tape. Is that wide enough? Do you just need to cover the spoke holes, or does the tape need to go under the tire bead?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    bonty strips are about 80g / piece incl. valve due to a deep profile covering the spoke holes. works well, but yellow tape is a major weight saving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook View Post
    bonty strips are about 80g / piece incl. valve due to a deep profile covering the spoke holes. works well, but yellow tape is a major weight saving.
    "Major"? 80 grams is about what 2 weigh. If you subtract the weight of the tape and put that amount in your hand I doubt there's anything major about it.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've used the bontrager strips for 3 years and never had a problem. I'd sure like to save 80g a wheel but I thought the idea of the bontrager strip was to create a channel for the tire to seat in. Stans rims are built specifically to seat the tire and only need the yellow tape to seal the wheel. Sound right? Guess I'd be a bit concerned about not having the bontrager strip.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Thinking about giving this a try with a set of Sun EQ 27 rims. I installed the tape and have a tube in for now. I will report back once I try to tubeless route.

C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Searching the forum really works! I wanted to know if I could use just tape to convert my Bonti Race Lites to tubeless without the strip. And here is the exact conversation.
    Anyway, Apparently I can, even though the notubes website says to use both. But, I have the 21mm tape. Is that wide enough? Do you just need to cover the spoke holes, or does the tape need to go under the tire bead?

Bump this question. I want to get started on this today, but don't want to waste my time if its not going to work. Thanks.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Sometimes you just gotta go for it and see if it works out. A few hours working on bike wheels/tires that never sealed is still better than mowing the grass right

C

AZ
    banned
    I believe the Bonty strips are 40 grams apiece, The weight savings by using tape is hardly worth it when the strips have worked so well IMHO. I have been using the strips for a few years and have had zero issues, the reliability alone is reason enough not to change for the sake of a few grams. My two Abraham's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bontrager Race x lite wheels tubeless yellow tape-p1040915.jpg

One rim strip one valve.

You are best to use the Bonty strips because the channel is very deep on the rim to accommodate these strips. The strips give it a nice bead shelf to sit the tire on and lock it in. If you use just the yellow tape you run the risk of it burping or blowing off the rim to to lack of support from the missing bead shelves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta go for it and see if it works out. A few hours working on bike wheels/tires that never sealed is still better than mowing the grass right

C
    Just completed my first ever tubeless conversion. This was much less of a big deal than people make out. No problems, easy peasy, took maybe 20 minutes, filled right up, no leaks. 21 mm tape seemed perfect for the Bonti race light 29er rims.

@trailgrinder
    Bump...any updates on this from last year? I am thinking about going tubless asap and have the same setup as discussed up above in regards to my rims. THanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast