awesome

Bontrager Mustang tubeless conversion question.

Having found out first hand that sub 30 psi low tire pressure lust combined with (sometimes even moderately) high speeds over rock gardens equals to lots of pinch flats, I'm now debating whether I should go with a lightweight tube injected with slime-like sealant or go the stan's no tubes way.

If I did the latter, would the strips on my stock Fisher Rig Bontrager Mustang disc rims be sufficient, like mentioned on Stan's website, or would I just be losing time?

ogarajef@luther.edu
    Quote Originally Posted by dblspeed
    Having found out first hand that sub 30 psi low tire pressure lust combined with (sometimes even moderately) high speeds over rock gardens equals to lots of pinch flats, I'm now debating whether I should go with a lightweight tube injected with slime-like sealant or go the stan's no tubes way.

If I did the latter, would the strips on my stock Fisher Rig Bontrager Mustang disc rims be sufficient, like mentioned on Stan's website, or would I just be losing time?

I have a velox rim strip underneath a 26" Stans rim strip on my mustangs, with an ignitor tire. Works great, never had a single problem.
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT"

mtbr member

My Bonty Mustangs

seem very loose. Maybe if I could find a tight tire, but the Bonty ACX tires fell on the rim and immediately off. So did the Kenda Klaws. The Crossmarks I mounted seem tighter, but nothing like either an Ignitor or Rampage mounted on a Stan's Arch. I need two stiff tire levers to do either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Bonty ACX tires have a cheap bead. I have had them roll off with the tube installed. The last time I used bontrager tires, I had to walk home because of a broken bead. i never used he bonty tubeless.

Now I run specialized fast trak (with tube) and Maxxis Ignitor (standard tire as tubeless). The stan's 26er narrow strip/velox rim strip set-up works great with the bontrager disc only rim. No problems for over a year.

awesome
    thanks for the replys. I asked the same question on notubes support forum and they said I could leave bontys tape and just use the notube regular rim strip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttvrdik
    The Bonty ACX tires have a cheap bead. I have had them roll off with the tube installed. The last time I used bontrager tires, I had to walk home because of a broken bead. i never used he bonty tubeless.

Now I run specialized fast trak (with tube) and Maxxis Ignitor (standard tire as tubeless). The stan's 26er narrow strip/velox rim strip set-up works great with the bontrager disc only rim. No problems for over a year.
    Yeah, the ACX's have the weakest bead I've ever encountered. Wire bead tires boost tubeless tolerances big-time.
    [SIZE="2"]http://kitsapmtb.com/[/SIZE]