mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bontrager Jones XR 29 x 1.8 on Salsa Delgado 29er Disc rims

What do you think of this combo? I am wondering if this would be a good choice for the Chequamegon Fat 40.

Price seems reasonable. What tire pressure? Pinch flats? Climbing traction? Cornering traction? OK in sand? Which tubes?

I weigh in at approximately 185 LB. in gear including hydration pack. Would be mounted on a Dos Niner.

Compared to Maxxis Ignitors and Specialized Fast Traks?

Enquiring minds want to know!
    [SIZE=3]Flombe[/SIZE]

Recovering couch patato
    I don't own eaither, but want both. I'd just not likely use the tires for anything dry or long. Didn't we have a narrow tire era already, and now head towards larger tires because they work?
    If it's 40mi of well rolling mudbath, yeah it seems a quick setup :-)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by FLOMBE
    What do you think of this combo? I am wondering if this would be a good choice for the Chequamegon Fat 40.

Price seems reasonable. What tire pressure? Pinch flats? Climbing traction? Cornering traction? OK in sand? Which tubes?

I weigh in at approximately 185 LB. in gear including hydration pack. Would be mounted on a Dos Niner.

Compared to Maxxis Ignitors and Specialized Fast Traks?

Enquiring minds want to know!
    The XR 1.8's can be a great race tire on the right course. I've raced them in a few races this season on the Dos Niner. First race I was afraid of pinch flats and had the psi way too high which made for a bouncy ride on the roots, but I got brave and lowered the psi until I figured out what worked. They roll fast. Corner well, climb well and no pinch flats yet for me. I currently am using the 26" Salsa superlite tubes (made by Kenda).

I also race with the XR 2.25's, the Crows and the Nano's. All depends on the course and conditions.

Here's a thread with pictures of the XR 1.8's on Delgado Disc rims and the Dos:

My "new" Dos is good to go...

BB