mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bontrager Jones XR 29 tires

I test rode a raleigh XXIX the other day and now Im in the process of purchasing one. The bike comes with WTB exiwolf 2.3 tires, which I found to have excellent traction on the test ride, but they seem overkill for the trail conditions plus they seem a little heavy. The shop that sells raleighs has the Jones XR 29 tires in stock, the tread looks to be a good match for the trails around here and i like the width 2.2. Does anyone have experience with these tires, good or bad and also Bontrager lists the weight at 600 grams, but is that accurate or not. I have seen several listings on the WTB 2.3 exiwolfs about 800 grams or so. So im looking to drop some weight. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Our trail conditions are hardpacked and sandy harldy ever any mud. I want a wide tire 2.2 is good but something lighter than 800 grams and something that rolls reasonably fast. The bontragers seem to fit the bill, whats your guys opinions.
    Thanks

Brakes?

Bonty's

I love the XR.

I'm on my 2nd rear (after about 1 season), and the front is still good. The sidewalls are challenged in our rocky Ozark forests, but they do okay. I've had to put a couple of patches on the inside of the tire to seal up small tears.

If you're somewhere it's not very rocky this tire should be great. The cornering traction is fantastic.

I have not ridden the Exi's. I've ridden: MotoRaptors, and NanoRaptors. Well, and Mutano's on my X-check, but they're too narrow for real abuse.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by surlyboy
    I test rode a raleigh XXIX the other day and now Im in the process of purchasing one. The bike comes with WTB exiwolf 2.3 tires, which I found to have excellent traction on the test ride, but they seem overkill for the trail conditions plus they seem a little heavy. The shop that sells raleighs has the Jones XR 29 tires in stock, the tread looks to be a good match for the trails around here and i like the width 2.2. Does anyone have experience with these tires, good or bad and also Bontrager lists the weight at 600 grams, but is that accurate or not. I have seen several listings on the WTB 2.3 exiwolfs about 800 grams or so. So im looking to drop some weight. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Our trail conditions are hardpacked and sandy harldy ever any mud. I want a wide tire 2.2 is good but something lighter than 800 grams and something that rolls reasonably fast. The bontragers seem to fit the bill, whats your guys opinions.
    Thanks
    The XR's are a good tire - especially for the money and what sounds like dry conditions where you run. They roll pretty fast. However, not quite as fast as the Nano's which might also be worth considering for you over the Exi's. The XR's are one of the 2 fullest volume tires available to date for 29"ers (Exi's and XR's - soon to add the Panaracer Rampage's next month or whenever they actually become available for purchase). My suggestion would be to buy 2 of the front XR's and run a front tire on the rear as well as the front. Don't know what your shop sells them for, but they go for $19.99 at speedgoat.com. I have 4 of them and the weight ranges between 596 grams to 632 grams for the 4 XR tires I own . That's quite a rotational weight savings from the Exi's which will be about 150 - 200 grams per tire more than the XR's.

You could also run the 26"er Salsa (made by Kenda) Superlight tubes (26 x 1.9-2.125) to cut more rotational weight. They weigh in around 140 grams per tube. Other brand tubes in the 26"er size that are light would also work.

Other lighter than Exi tires that might work for your riding conditions include the Bontrager ACX and the WTB Nanoraptor. Both are in the $40 per tire price range.

BB

mtbr member
    I have been using the Bonty tires and have had an issue. The front tire has been fine, however the rears have only made it one ride each (3 of them) and I had the sidewall tear on all three of them. Granted, I live in AZ and the trails pretty rocky, however I have never had an issue in the past (may have just been bad luck) The front tire is going strong. The weight for the front tire was 614, and the three backs were 610, 625, and 615. I am also using them on Stans rims, with the yellow rim tape and running them tubeless (No blowoff issues in about 1000 miles) I am now running the bonty on the front and a maxxis thing (624) on the rear and it seems to be working fine.

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I have been using the Bonty tires and have had an issue. The front tire has been fine, however the rears have only made it one ride each (3 of them) and I had the sidewall tear on all three of them. Granted, I live in AZ and the trails pretty rocky, however I have never had an issue in the past (may have just been bad luck) The front tire is going strong. The weight for the front tire was 614, and the three backs were 610, 625, and 615. I am also using them on Stans rims, with the yellow rim tape and running them tubeless (No blowoff issues in about 1000 miles) I am now running the bonty on the front and a maxxis thing (624) on the rear and it seems to be working fine.
    As others have said on this forum, one of the best combos for dry, dusty, or sandy terrain is XR front, Karma rear. Throw in some lightwieight tubes (I run 100 gram Specialized turbo 26" tubes and they work fine) and you have a fast rolling, lightweight combo with surprising amounts of traction. Not great for lots of roots or rock gardens, naturally, but if you don't encounter much of those, I'd give them a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    we dont have any rocky terrain just alot of sticks and roots, but in 10 years riding in those woods i have never torn a sidewall, so that Im not worried about. Sounds like I will give the XR's a try they seem to be what Im looking for and a lot lighter than the Exi's. This is my first 29er so I appreciate the tire help.

Exclusively Single
    The XR's are pretty sweet. I've used those and steel Exi's and I've come to prefer the XR's.
    I live in TN so I have to contend with lots of rocks, roots, and thick peanut butter mud when it's wet.
    The XR's roll fast, and grip really well.
    Yesterday I went riding in the mud and I was really impressed with how well the XR's maintained their traction, and I did alot of climbing. I lowered the PSI to probably around 20, front and rear. Their tread design makes them stay clean, but when I was going pretty slow up a couple climbs they got caked, though still maintaining traction. But as soon as I could get a little speed back up, they were cleared. I like the rear, it's not seemingly any smaller than the front, but it does provide great traction, and doen't tend to spin out in the mud.
    I don't weigh my bike parts, but they are noticably lighter then the steel bead Exi's and they seem to provide for a more supple ride. The sidewalls seem pretty thin, but I havn't had a problem with that yet, despite sharp roots and rocks.

Believer in Darwin

Good job!

The Jones XR's are a great tire. They work in just about any condition except for mud.
    I have used the 2.2s and the 1.8s. If you live where there are a lot of sharp big rocks, go for the 2.2. If you ride on hardpack with little amount of rocks, then the 1.8s is fine though they are a bit harsh.
    Another trick that the Fisher dudes passed on was to use 2 front tires as opposed to using the front specific on the front and the rear specific on the rear. Try using the front on the rear rotating in the proper direction and presto, you will have somewhat light, fast rolling tires.
    I just came back from southern NM, and the Bonty's(1.8s) held up well, though it made me realize that the 2.2 are better for rocky conditions. I did puncture the front tire but it sealed and was old anyways.
    GLTY

i heart singletrack

I've been riding and racing on a front XR for the entire 2006 season, with great results. For a low-knob xc-oriented tire, it's just about perfect.

I'm not a big fan of the rear tire however -- the trick of running two fronts is a good one. I'm planning on trying that soon.

FYI -- I've been running the XR front tubeless for almost the entire time I've had it, with 100-percent success. That's more than 5 months on one tire, tubeless. No flats, no blow-offs, no problems whatsoever. I run about 30-32psi in the front, depending on conditions.

Good luck!
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Harmonius Wrench

Piling on

More XR praising here. Front and rear combo on a single speed. I have been running them for just over a year now. These tires have an amazing amount grip and traction for what looks like a wimpy XC race tire. I agree that they become nearly worthless in slippery mud, but beyond that, I've been pleasantly surprised.

They wear really well, are cushy, and roll about as good as anything I've tried. That includes Exi's, Nanos, Ignitors, and Moto's. They don't drift nearly as much as a Nano, and definitely corner better than Exi's. I highly recommend them.

mtbr member

I love the XR, but...

Ive had 2 flats (in 6 rides) with them. granted, I live in the east, but I wish I could find a way to avoid the flats. Otherwise, I think its an ideal trail/xc tire. It rolls well, corners well, has a hi volume, comfortable ride, and provide's traction in most conditions. There's not much more to ask from a tire. except to not flat so much.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback, should have my bike in about a week, and I will give the Jones XR's a try. They sound about perfect for what Im doing. If only they made 29 inch pythons then I would be all set.

i heart singletrack
    If only they made 29 inch pythons then I would be all set.
    The XRs are about as close as you can get to the performance of a Python, with a wider breadth of performance to boot. When I raced 26ers, I raced on Pythons religiously.

Always Learning
    Thanks for all the feedback, should have my bike in about a week, and I will give the Jones XR's a try. They sound about perfect for what Im doing. If only they made 29 inch pythons then I would be all set.
    Until we get 29"er Pythons, XR's should do you. And I'll mention it again - the XR's sell for $19.99 per tire (still recommend 2 fronts and skip buying the rear). Hard to beat the price.

BB

mtbr member

why do so many dislike the xr rear tire???

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Until we get 29"er Pythons, XR's should do you. And I'll mention it again - the XR's sell for $19.99 per tire (still recommend 2 fronts and skip buying the rear). Hard to beat the price.

BB
    several have mentioned getting rid of the rear, but never say why .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Harmonius Wrench

Dunno?

Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    But I've got a hunch. First, the front XR is a tiny bit wider than the rear specific tire. Secondly, the tread is a bit "faster" with a front used on the rear, or so the common wisdom goes. They turn it around, meaning that they mount it up on the rear with the tread facing the "wrong" way and let fly.

I don't but into this philosophy, so I run the front rear combo because I single speed and I like the better rear traction that the rear tire was designed for. It's still the best rolling tire on the rear that I've tried. To each his own, I guess.

By the way, that is one sweet Wojik you had made! Those chainstays are reminiscent of some old skool bike, but I can't put my finger on it right now. Anyway, congrats!

Cassoulet forever !
    If only they made 29 inch pythons then I would be all set.
    It's in the Works.
    Should be out for chrismas.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    The front XR has a teeny bit more casing width than the rear tire and more importantly - it provides about 2mm more in tread width. I'll take all the extra meat I can get back there on the rear of the bike - especially for my rigid KM riding.

The tread when run on the rear rolls really well for me. I've tried the rotational direction in both directions and this all came about due to having torn a sidewall in my original rear XR. I had a spare front XR and posted on the forum if anyone thought using the front tire in the rear would be okay. Several responded that using 2 fronts was a great combination so I tried it and have kept it that way due to the extra meat.

You mentioned a couple of flats on yours. Were the flats from thorns, debris or did you pinch flat?

By the way, nice new bike edouble. Does it fit in the Element?

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 08-22-2006 at 05:50 AM.