Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Xtreme Lounger

Bontrager Jones ACX TLR tire

Can these tires be run on a Stans rim without sealant? I would be using the yellow tape. I think I heard that Shiggy was running some TLR tires dry. Not sure what tires or rim setup he was using for that though.

Also, is the tire profile better suited for the Arch or the wider Flow?

Powered by ice cream.
    I have had an FR3 TLR tire mounted up dry on a Flow for a few weeks with no leakage. It was just a test mount, and I have not ridden the wheel at all, but it holds air fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I have had an FR3 TLR tire mounted up dry on a Flow for a few weeks with no leakage. It was just a test mount, and I have not ridden the wheel at all, but it holds air fine.
    Well, that's sounds encouraging at least. I just checked out the FR3 - wow, that's quite a tire! Looks like a good chunky freeride/AM tire. I'm currently running full on DH tires on my 26" trail bike and love em, but I'm trying to wean myself off of chunky tires. These 29's would be for a single speed, so totally the wrong application. Got ... to ... resist ...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I didnt try it dry but on flow rims with yellow tape and stans
    worked fine excellent grip soft sidewalls

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sort of.
    I have been able to get them to seal up dry on both Stan's Arch w/ yel tape and Bontrager Rhythm w/strips.
    But they do leak down slowly( like a latex tube...1-2 lbs a day)
    I do run sealant in them....and always have a few little beads of white on the sidewalls and tread.
    Bottom line: pour in a little juice.If you're trying to save a few grams..just pull out your finger nails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My ACX TLRs had small pin holes in the sidewall that needed sealant. My XDX's seemed to hold air without sealant, but I never tried riding them that way.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    No tubeless set up is designed to be run without sealant. It's not recommended, won't gain you anything, and will nullify one of the main reasons people run tubeless in the first place, puncture protection.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    No tubeless set up is designed to be run without sealant. It's not recommended, won't gain you anything, and will nullify one of the main reasons people run tubeless in the first place, puncture protection.
    Ummm...no. The original UST spec does not use sealants. Many tire makers recommend NOT using sealant. A good UST tubeless tire will loose pressure slowly when punctured by thorns (been there). I have never needed to fix a flat of a dry tubeless tire on the trail because of a puncture.

Tubeless READY tires are designed to be used with sealants, but the puncture protection is still secondary to just sealing the casing to hold pressure.

The main reason I use tubeless is the ease of swapping tires without needing to worry with inner tubes or mess with sealants.

Bonty TLR tires are designed to be used with sealant, though I have found the Abrasion Resistance Casing versions to be good without in most cases. They are also designed to be used tubeless only on TLR or UST-spec rims, which the Stans rims are not.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Bonty TLR tires are designed to be used with sealant, though I have found the Abrasion Resistance Casing versions to be good without in most cases. They are also designed to be used tubeless only on TLR or UST-spec rims, which the Stans rims are not.
    Are there any aftermarket 29 rims that are TLR or UST? I'm pretty sure the UST is a no - pre-built wheelsets only. I don't know that I've ever seen TLR rims. Are they Bonty house-brand stuff only?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny
    Are there any aftermarket 29 rims that are TLR or UST? I'm pretty sure the UST is a no - pre-built wheelsets only. I don't know that I've ever seen TLR rims. Are they Bonty house-brand stuff only?
    I would consider Stans Flows and arches TLR and very good ones at that

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny
    Bonty Duster and Race Lite TLR rims are available
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

acx

Does it really matter if ACXs seal dry if they are crappy tires?
    IMHO they are.good for mud only as knobs fold/squirm on anything else

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_chipmunk
    Does it really matter if ACXs seal dry if they are crappy tires?
    IMHO they are.good for mud only as knobs fold/squirm on anything else
    I dont know what version you tried but didnt have any issues like that on the 29" version. in fact they were one of the better gripping and rolling tires Ive used

MTB B'dos
    OK, first to answer the OPs question.....yup, although not with the ACX, but had sucess with the MudX TLR, holds air fine without sealant on my Flows with yellow tape, better than tubes IMHO.

As to the actual ACX tyre, not sure if there's a difference, but definitely can't say the 26" version impressed me any, very slow rolling although pretty good for mud. I prefer the MudX, it rolls fast and works really well in mud of all consistancies.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    I dont know what version you tried but didnt have any issues like that on the 29" version. in fact they were one of the better gripping and rolling tires Ive used
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I love this tire = I run it tubless on a Arch rim

Mudder

TLR ACX AR Casing?

Does the 29 x 2.2" TLR Jones ACX have a pretty strong sidewall? (What bontrager calls the AR casing)