Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

Bontrager Duster vs. Sun-Ringle EQ25 rims

I have a brand new Bontrager Duster wheelset that I can't get tires onto easily.

I'm thinking of getting a Sun-Ringle EQ25 wheelset instead. Anyone know if you can mount tires easily on these?

I am not running tubeless and don't plan to since this wheelset will get 32c, 42c and 2.1 tires back and forth.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    I have a brand new Bontrager Duster wheelset that I can't get tires onto easily.

I'm thinking of getting a Sun-Ringle EQ25 wheelset instead. Anyone know if you can mount tires easily on these?

I am not running tubeless and don't plan to since this wheelset will get 32c, 42c and 2.1 tires back and forth.
    I have Dusters and an EQ27. The EQ is easy to mount tires on, but so is the Duster. I can not think of a tire I have had trouble with.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    32c and maybe 42c are to small for the width of the Duster rim. If you have the tubeless rim strip, it makes it a little tougher to mount tires, but not bad. If you have the blue strip, it should be pretty easy, it may help to use a little soapy water on a sponge and wipe the rim and tire bead to help it slide, make sure the bead opposite of where your prying it on is deep in the center of the rim. Use 2 tire tools and work your way around. can take a little practice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you think it's hard to mount tires on a Duster, try some conti tires on a matrix rim.

I have Bonty Rhythm, which is the same rim in 28H and it is pretty easy for most tires. Hutchinson Pythons were a pain but Hutchinsons are a pain on any rim IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    If you think it's hard to mount tires on a Duster, try some conti tires on a matrix rim.

I have Bonty Rhythm, which is the same rim in 28H and it is pretty easy for most tires. Hutchinson Pythons were a pain but Hutchinsons are a pain on any rim IMO.
    Trek has not used the Matrix brand name since they bought Bontrager more than ten years ago.
    mtbtires.com

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Trek has not used the Matrix brand name since they bought Bontrager more than ten years ago.
    Trek has used the Matrix brand on their cheapo rims up until just a few years ago (I know this because I have a friend with a 2009 Trek with Matrix rims)

TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2009 3700

OP...do you have the tubeless rim strip installed in the Dusters? If so, you can remove it and just use rim tape which should make installing the tires a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Trek has used the Matrix brand on their cheapo rims up until just a few years ago (I know this because I have a friend with a 2009 Trek with Matrix rims)

TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2009 3700

OP...do you have the tubeless rim strip installed in the Dusters? If so, you can remove it and just use rim tape which should make installing the tires a little easier.
    Must be OEM only. Have not paid attention to the lower end stock spec.

32mm tires on the Duster is a little iffy. On the edge of increased rim/tire sidewall damage risk.
    mtbtires.com

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    I can not think of a tire I have had trouble with.
    I don't know how this is possible...

They are a huge pain in the a55 to mount and after mounting them they don't want to seat, even with a LOT of pressure in them. (yes, I am mounting them dry)

I realize if I used soapy water they probably would go on easier, I just don't want to have that issue out on the trail.

I have the OEM blue rim strips in them. Would Velox be an improvement, or should I find the tubeless ready Bontrager strips even though I plan on running tubes?

When I said 32c, I meant for the Sun EQ25's, not the Dusters.

If I were just putting these on my 29er, I'd go ahead and make them tubeless and go.

P.S. About the Matrix rims... I used to think Sun RhynoLites were tough. They are nothing compared to these.

I don't know how this is possible...

They are a huge pain in the a55 to mount and after mounting them they don't want to seat, even with a LOT of pressure in them. (yes, I am mounting them dry)

I realize if I used soapy water they probably would go on easier, I just don't want to have that issue out on the trail.

I have the OEM blue rim strips in them. Would Velox be an improvement, or should I find the tubeless ready Bontrager strips even though I plan on running tubes?

When I said 32c, I meant for the Sun EQ25's, not the Dusters.

If I were just putting these on my 29er, I'd go ahead and make them tubeless and go.

P.S. About the Matrix rims... I used to think Sun RhynoLites were tough. They are nothing compared to these.
    I am totally confused. Without the TLR rim strip I use, the Dusters should be even easier to mount tires on.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

I agree on those rims and pain in the ass tire mounting if running tubes.

I had a pair and had issues too and I also often got a lot of tire wobble even when getting the tires on the rims. IMHO they are a PITA if not using the Bontrager tubeless rim strips.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    I agree on those rims and pain in the ass tire mounting if running tubes.

I had a pair and had issues too and I also often got a lot of tire wobble even when getting the tires on the rims. IMHO they are a PITA if not using the Bontrager tubeless rim strips.
    Interesting. I have used the Duster only with the TLR rim strip, with and without tubes. With tubes it can be more difficult to seat the bead. Not enough to worry about on the trail (tends to pop into place while riding). Getting the tire (with tube or not) on the rim is easy.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Interesting. I have used the Duster only with the TLR rim strip, with and without tubes. With tubes it can be more difficult to seat the bead. Not enough to worry about on the trail (tends to pop into place while riding). Getting the tire (with tube or not) on the rim is easy.

I removed the TRL rim strips thinking they'd be too "tall" for tire and tube - maybe that was my error in removing them.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    So are the blue OEM strips that much larger than the TLR strips?

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    The blue rim strips are made by Schwalbe and say "High Pressure Rim Tape."

They stretch all the way from bead to bead to cover the offset spoke holes.

Are the TLR rim strips that wide? How thick are they?

The Continental MTB 28 tubes don't seem to help. They are tight and they keep the latter half of the tire bead (the first half installed) from being able to stay in the middle of the rim where the channel is as the other side of the bead is massaged onto the rim.

Mounting tires without the tubes is easier, but not an option since I want to be able to swap different tires regularly.

I think the blue rim strip is thick enough and/or wide enough to keep the tire's bead from seating against the edge of the rim.
    Last edited by rockhound; 10-29-2011 at 10:02 PM.

The blue rim strips are made by Schwalbe and say "High Pressure Rim Tape."

They stretch all the way from bead to bead to cover the offset spoke holes.

Are the TLR rim strips that wide? How thick are they?

The Continental MTB 28 tubes don't seem to help. They are tight and they keep the other tire bead (the first one installed) from being able to stay in the middle of the rim where the channel is as the second bead is massaged onto the rim.

Mounting tires without the tubes is easier, but not an option since I want to be able to swap different tires regularly.

I think the blue rim strip is thick enough and/or wide enough to keep the tire's bead from seating against the edge of the rim.
    Once one side is on the rim it does not need to stay in the center drop while mounting the second side.

The TLR rim strip fits bead hook to bead hook. No idea how it's thickness compares to the Schwalbe.
    mtbtires.com

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Once one side is on the rim it does not need to stay in the center drop while mounting the second side.

The TLR rim strip fits bead hook to bead hook. No idea how it's thickness compares to the Schwalbe.
    I guess that wasn't clear how I described the tire bead.