mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Good job! bontrager 29.3 team issue tire

Highly recommend as a front tire here in southeast Tenn . Hooks up great in muddy conditions . The worst the trail is the better it hooks up . also works great in the rocks and roots . Just bought one to try on the rear . rolling resistance seems low for the size and knobs on the tire . garyfisher rig .

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think I'm going to try this tire. Is there a team and non-team version? Just curious so that I order the right one.
    09 GF HIFI 29

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    do you have to be on a team to buy one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No bought from Lbs trek

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think there is only team version in this tire

No longer 26
    Are you using the 2.25 front specific tire or the 2.0 rear?
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

human dehumidifier
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Are you using the 2.25 front specific tire or the 2.0 rear?
    G
    2.25 front

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i just installed the front 2.25 team issue 29-3 and the rear 2.0 29-3.

both are tlr and work really well. by the looks of it, the rear tire is really skinny, smaller than the 1.9 karma i just wore out (i can call it a stan's crow now )

the front is replacing my fav front tire, a rampage. the 2.25 is really small as well. i think it is comparable to the fastrak or ignitor in size..

both have a very soft grippy compound and a nice, thick sidewall. the front tire is at about 32 psi, the rear around 38psi. i am 170 pounds and they are on my 29er ss with a 100mm reba here in so cal. did a ton of climbing on the today and the rear tire hooks up pretty well. it's only weakness is under hard braking, it locks up pretty easy.

the front held it's lines without any surprises. rolls MUCH faster than the rampage, though the rampage is a bit more inspiring under hard, leaned over, turns and one REALLY loose stuff.

weight...both were a almost 50 grams over what they were labeled at (front was like 720g and rear was 620 or sumthin' like that). doesn't matter to me though, i bought them for the sidewall strength and the tlr system, again they work great on my bonty rhythm/duster rims. usually, my tires weep quite a bit and these tire have absolutely no stans on the sidewalls and the sealed without any fuss or bubbly stan's around the bead.

overall...good set of tires, especially if you are running a tlr system. nice soft rubber and very fast rolling with a real tread design. front corners well and the rear is fast and hooks up good for a skinny tire. riding was done is dry conditions. mud? ask someone else.

got any q's....let 'em roll.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm surprised to hear bkr0067 thinks they work well in mud. I disagree. I don't think they're terrible, but they wouldn't be my mud choice. I've been trying the 29-3 front tire (riding it front and rear) for a while (had some prototypes). They definitely are fast. They are also quite good volume, easily as big as Rampages. The rear tire is small though. Check out how the 29-3 front compares to tires like WTB WeirWolf 2.55 and also Bontrager's new FR-3:
    http://mountain-monkeys.com/2009/04/...r-3-tires.html

Also, for tubeless setups, you can run them really low. I was running my front in the teens, and the rear in the low 20's (verified on multiple gauges, including one calibrated digital gauge).

Keep your eye on Bontrager for tires though, they are doing some really great work, and have more things coming. For me, if you like larger volume tires, tubeless/TLR, then Bontrager is where it's at right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just ordered the FR3 there for sale in the UK already

Questions are :-

1. Will it fit in a 06 Reba SL ??? with a 21mm internal Halo Freedom rim ?
    2. Will it really be higher volume than the WTB Stout 2.3 ??
    3. Will the tread pattern work well on forest muddy trails ?? or will it just be a rock muncher / trail center beast ??

Find out soon, well if no.1 is a YES

Meat Clever
    Been running the 29-3 front for 3 months at 21-22 psi tubeless (180 pounds); relatively low rolling resistance, adequate cornering traction, but will let loose under hard cornering and not as confidence inspiring in rough, rocky conditions. Will be putting the 2.4 Ardent on today.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Just ordered the FR3 there for sale in the UK already

Questions are :-

1. Will it fit in a 06 Reba SL ??? with a 21mm internal Halo Freedom rim ?
    2. Will it really be higher volume than the WTB Stout 2.3 ??
    3. Will the tread pattern work well on forest muddy trails ?? or will it just be a rock muncher / trail center beast ??

Find out soon, well if no.1 is a YES
    Not sure on #1, it may be tight, they are pretty darn big. They have as much or more volume than a WeirWolf, but the side knobs are a lot beefier. I haven't ridden a Stout, so I don't know, but I didn't think the Stout was really all that big is it?

They will not be great in mud. I've ridden them in mud, and they wouldn't be my choice. They absolutely rail in dry or tacky conditions though. However, it might depend on your mud Let us know your take.

It's a great tire to have, even if you can't ride them as much in the winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pretty much what I found. They're nice and fast, and the feel of the roll is great. They don't handle corners as well as the FR-3. I actually had them work in the rocks just fine, wet rocks at that. For dry conditions, with fast and/or hard cornering, I'll take the FR-3's, but for faster rolling, less lean angle cornering, etc., I do like the 29-3's.

I'd like to try the Ardents as well, but I'm full up on tires at the moment, and really liking all the Bontrager choices, so, uh, maybe next year

The greatest thing in all this is that we're seeing more of these big tires. I don't care about the new WTB Descent or whatever it is, as I'm not after an actual DH type of tire, I want the volume, and good tread, but not the weight and such. Oh, and I really really favor TLR, in fact, at this point, given I can get this variety of tires from Bontrager that are TLR, I won't bother with/consider any non-TLR tires anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Headangle thanks I think

There really that big and bigger volume than the WW, sand paper and fork material removal or scalpel and side knob trimming, okay the later.

I'd class the Stout as a 2.2 nice tyre made a huge improvement over anything else I had over rocks ( WW better but to weak sidewalls to run low enough for my bulk to work ).

Mud wise, Bonty ACX's work around here, or the Stout 1 year of use though knob height is down and it's lost its ability for mud sadly

How big do the 29-3's come up ??? Tempting must have more tyres

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Headangle thanks I think

There really that big and bigger volume than the WW, sand paper and fork material removal or scalpel and side knob trimming, okay the later.

I'd class the Stout as a 2.2 nice tyre made a huge improvement over anything else I had over rocks ( WW better but to weak sidewalls to run low enough for my bulk to work ).

Mud wise, Bonty ACX's work around here, or the Stout 1 year of use though knob height is down and it's lost its ability for mud sadly

How big do the 29-3's come up ??? Tempting must have more tyres
    The 29-3's are pretty big, but I don't recall the exact measurements. My take is that if you like large volume tires, you'll be quite happy, especially if you can run them tubeless. I'm all about the tubeless, because it lets me run them at the low pressures I like, but without flats and so on. I'm 6'2" and oh about 177lbs. I ride a rigid Niner and ride it as hard as I physically can (my other bike is a 6" travel Reign, so it's sort of two ends of the spectrum, and I reserve the Reign for the bigger or really consistently heavy rocky trails (it's great in Tahoe, Downieville, and say Moab, parts of AZ, etc., but here in Oregon, and even milder CA places, etc. I'll favor the Niner these days - I hope to replace the Reign with a Tallboy or RIP or something along those lines).

Anyway, right now I'm favoring the 29-3's when it's a bit faster trails, and less high-lean angles in corners, or when I want a "lighter" tire. The FR-3's are noticeably heavier, but they rail corners like no other 29er tire I've ridden, they're absolute glue in the corners, and they climb and roll well too, brake well, etc., but I don't like them in mud. The 29-3's I'll take in mud to a point, but then that sort of connected tread I think makes them start to slide more, so in the middle of winter, I'm on Conti Mtn King 2.4's, although this winter will be on a different Bonty (oh, did I say that, mum's the word

So, it just kinda depends on the terrain, the wet, etc. If you like playing with tires, etc., then I'd definitely say to get a set, I think they're quite nice. I run the 29-3 front tire on both front and rear, mainly cuz I like the big volume, but I hear the 29-3, as small as it looks and as different it is, is actually a pretty kick ass rear tire, and I'm thinking it may work a lot better in the mud, so may try that this winter as well.

Plastic homer
    I have the 29-3 fronts on all 3 SFs (HT, SS, SF 100) and they are beyond a doubt the best I have used. Have not tried the rears - use XDX instead. Best overall combo I have tried. All on RXL TLR wheels (2 sets 2008, one 2010). Sand. loose over hard, kitty litter, rocks - all better than good. No rain here yet, so I'm not sure about mud.

Agreed - Bonty is worth watching for tires right now. Best tubeless set-up hands down.

The 29-3 is not as big as Stouts - I have those on Flows and they are huge for trail work.

mtbr member
    Considering Rampage vs 29-3 for a front tire on a rigid HT (rear Ignitor or XDX).
    Can any one summarily compare between them?